[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you guys buy organic produce? i've been buying mostly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
do you guys buy organic produce? i've been buying mostly organic for the last year and it just seems really depressing to pay more for food that doesn't look as appetizing and sometimes molds within a couple of days of purchase.
>>
No Im not retarded enough to be afraid of pesticides and bad enough with my money to waste it on overpriced food
>>
>>7800410
>paying more for organic
Bruh just go to the self checkout and ring the shit up as normal produce.
>>
At the farmer's market, sure. At the grocery store, never.
>>
Best deal is go to a farmers market towards the end. The last 30 minutes. You'll have farmers who want to come back with an empty truck. Your best deals are there.
>>
>>7800415
organic doesn't mean no pesticides
>>
>>7800410

All the time, baby. You're retarded if you'd rather save a couple bucks at the cost of your long term health. Are you really going to be sitting there at 70 years old thinking, "Well, I've got colon cancer from a constant daily intake of low levels of pesticides but I probably saved a couple thousand dollars over the course of my life by not falling for that organic scam!"

>>7800446

It's not guaranteed but virtually every time some group has done tests of organic vs conventional produce, the organic has significantly less pesticide residue. Pesticides are fucking EVERYWHERE now. You can climb to a pristine mountaintop and find dozens of pesticides in fresh fallen snow. You should be doing everything you can to limit your exposure.
>>
>>7800461
>>pesticides

You seem to be misunderstanding. Organic produce still has pesticides sprayed on it deliberately. We're not talking about trace residues or pollution here. Farmers spray pesticides (and fertilizers) directly on organic produce. It's simply a different list of pesticides that are used for "organic" versus "conventional".

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
>>
I fucking hate the term 'organic food'. As opposed to what? Food that is not organic?

Depending on levels of corruption at the location where it's produced, 'organic' food is varying degrees of scam. I have relatives that produce 'organic' food that gets distributed to grocery stores and let's just say people who buy it have nothing but placebo effect going on fort them
>>
>>7800484
As opposed to synthetic food, yes.
>>
>>7800512
If something is not organic it cannot be food. Even if it's protein created in a factory, it's still organic. "Organic food" is a tautology turned buzzword.
>>
I prefer organic milk but yeah, anything else organic is a scam
>>
>>7800523

I bet you also hate the term "processed food" because obviously all food is "processed", even though everyone other than a middle school smart ass knows exactly what's being talked about when the term is used.
>>
can someone explain what the fuck organic means
>>
>>7800537
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_matter
>>
>>7800537
The literal sperg-autismo definition is a chemical compound containing carbon.

In the context of food it means the produce (or whatever) is grown according to a set of rules. What those rules are vary depending on what country (or private group) is upholding the certification. Generally speaking, it means that synthetic pesticides and fertilizers are not allowed, but "natural" ones are.
>>
>>7800484
Well, in America the USDA does define what can be marketed as organic. I don't know to what lengths they go to audit firms that provide organic foods though.
>>
>>7800542

no

>>7800550

who holds those set of rules in the US, cause its not the FDA
>>
>>7800569
USDA
>>
>>7800601

can you link me to their rules about what constitutes as organic

i don't see them on their website
>>
>>7800609
>www.usda.gov/organic-agriculture.html
>>
>>7800418
Okay Jamal
>>
>>7800537

it's the dumb white bitch version of kosher or halal.
>>
>>7800410
I used to but then I realized I'm poor. Now I just buy regular food and have resign to the fact that no matter what I do I'm going to die.
>>
>>7800410
I try to avoid organic produce as much as I can. There's absolutely no advantage. If you believe it's good for the environment then you are a fool, because it uses up more land due to its inefficient fertilisers. If you want to help the environment and your pocket, eat less meat.
>>
>>7800410
yes, since I prefer to shop at the rich liberal store to avoid the gross people that don't shower before going out into public. I don't want to pick from the same produce selection as them and their hands that probably never get washed.
>>
There's only some produce where it would actually matter. Some produce isn't heavily pesticided or otherwise chemically altered even if it's grown "not organically," and some produce has a thick outer layer that prevents pesticides from mattering, like bananas. So it's retarded to buy the organic versions of those, unless they taste better I guess.

Some stuff like spinach and apples get heavily pesticided though, so opt for organic with those.
>>
>>7801330
Yeah, I go for organic celery because regular celery seems to absorb the flavor of the pesticides and tastes bitter.
>>
>>7800484
You need to go back.
>>
Organic is total bullshit.
>>
>>7800410
yes because sewage sludge is not suitable for growing food in, pesticides don't even factor in. no sewage sludge, ever.
>>
>>7800431
this
>>
>>7800477

Copper and Sulphur, big woop.

The only really dangerous organic pesticides is rotenone and and you will only find that being used outside of the US.
>>
I actually work for the USDA and do research on soil and water from farms. Pesticide residue on food is probably not a serious concern, especially if you wash it; there is research out there that determines the minimum levels of residue that can safely be left on food.

The serious problems of modern agriculture is pesticide runoff and the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, leading to polluted water and nutrient depleted soils. Organic produce uses more natural pesticides, farming methods, and fertilizers, minimizing these effects. So not only are there minimal health benefits, organic farming is much better for the environment.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.