[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 23
File: logo.png (36 KB, 800x268) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
36 KB, 800x268
Thoughts?
>>
File: worldpopgr.gif (11 KB, 402x306) Image search: [Google]
worldpopgr.gif
11 KB, 402x306
>>7795209
A necessary evil.

Food production is incapable of keeping up with population growth. Modern medicine and society has led to exponential growth in population. The amount of land on this planet is finite. This means that there needs to be advancements made to increase crop yield.
>>
>>7795209
couldnt give less of a fuck desu
>>
I wonder if I make a 'gofundme' saying I'll buy monsanto will all the hipsters and earth conscious people donate?
>>
>>7795209
Bitching about GMOs obscures the real issue of Monsanto's shitty business practices. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the people behind the anti-GMO movement are Monsanto agents.
>>
>>7795218
We're still dumping more food than we eat. Population growth by birth does not occur in the first world.
>>
>>7795218
Most food goes to waste
Most agricultural land goes to raising either animals, or animal feed
Monsanto exists to abuse technology to guarantee itself a vise grip on selected markets
All their propaganda about feeding people is nonsense
Maybe in 100 years after the fossil fuel industry's damage to the biosphere has rendered all current arable land useless, we'll need to use transgenic tech to ensure survival
Let's all hope that by then, Monsanto will be gone
>>
>>7795209

it's very easy to identify retards just by looking for people who complain about monsanto
>>
>>7795246
Shill harder, shill
>>
>>7795209
One of my parent's friends used to work there and gave me a tour. It was pretty chill. They had corn growing on their roof.
>>
>>7795218

> Implying the world population should grow
> Implying anything more than 3 billion people is good for planet earth
> 2016 and still implying
>>
Misunderstood.

I don't have a high opinion of farmers in general.
Quite frankly, I'm convinced that the majority of them are bitter over the fact that "dem atheist sciency types" managed to beat them at their own game, and that most (if not all) of the lawsuits are farces.

Reading into the court cases, it becomes very clear that most of these guys are religious assholes on a righteous bent to keep man out of God's holy domain of life. It is not often I use the term "flyovers" without irony, but they are flyovers in the truest sense.
>>
>>7795265
He's right. I tried dating a girl that thought Monsanto was out to get everyone and was slowly poisoning food, so she refused to go out to eat. I hung out with her twice.
>>
>>7795209
they've been ok the last month or two, stock wise.

I wouldn't buy them since they're too controversial, but I wouldn't regret it that much now, if I bought them in march or mid-late feb.

I avoid these well known companies.
>>
The biggest reason Monsanto is such a big issue is because they have created one of the most genuinely innovative inventions in the past century, if not the past millennium.

Our patent system, quite frankly, is not designed to deal with or accommodate inventions capable of self-replication and this is no fault of Monsanto. Their monopoly on the market stems entirely from the fact that the competition is trying too hard to emulate their success instead of synthesizing new proteins.
>>
>>7795209
Overly demonized. All that stuff about them suing farmers is kind of over criticized, they did it rightfully and didn't "oversue". GMOs in general aren't very harmful anyway.
>>
>>7795734
we're approaching 7.5 billion and expected to top out at 10 billion without any intervention, right?

considering the number of curry threads posted here, in additon to numerous other reasons, I would expect a genocide of some form in the coming decade or two. not as prominent as hitler or rwanada, but they have to go, or at least knock it off.
>>
>>7795806
even a genocide by hitler is a drop in the bucket.

6 million jews were killed. that's .06% of 1bn. we need a nuclear war.
>>
>>7795825
Nuclear war is the last thing we need.

Deadly virus would be much better. All the destruction minus the environmental hazards.
Also, this shit is seriously why the US needs to build a wall.
>>
>>7795209
>thoughts about Monsanto
None because I'm neither a farmer, nor a paranoid hippie with a poor understanding of diet.
>>
>>7795847
why would you want things to survive beyond humanity?

if we die, they've been dead for weeks. that's the way it should be.
>>
>>7795825
1+ billion indians (shitskin kind) isn't a drop in the bucket. it's an advancement for the environment, in additon to an andvancement for mankind.

it's one medium step for man, one medium step for mankind. imagine the histsorical sginificance of that.

they have to go.
>>
>>7795806
Genocide would be pretty easy if you had de facto control of food supply.
>>
>>7795913
What the fuck are you smoking?

I'm trying my damndest to make sense of your post and completely failing.
>>
Much like with nuclear power, it's the only way forward.
>>
>>7795209
>>7795218
An evil that needs to fucking die no matter what cucks sucking their dick and shilling for them say. GMOs would be fucking over sexed desirable nymphos of agricutlure if it weren't for these money grubbing asslards that sue the shit out of people and give GMOs a bad rep.
>>
>>7796695
>all the destruction minus the environmental hazards

I think he was responding to that.
>>
The main reason GMOs should be public domain.
>>
>>7796778

So you agree the fundamental problem here is with the government (patent laws) and not Monsanto. I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>7796729
His post still doesn't make a lick of sense.

With my comments about walls, I was clearly implying that I don't want or intend for humanity to end in the first place.

His question of:
>why would you want things to survive beyond humanity?
basically addresses things I've not really mentioned to begin with.
>>
>>7795209
This company will eventually bring the end for the human race. First there may be more food for us, but at what cost? Insects dying by billions (the disappearance of the bees is only a side effect) and so the whole fauna is affected by them. They have to be stopped. The growth of human population has to slow down for the sake of this planet.
>>
>>7796796
I don't know you fucking dumbass, why would they believe you don't want humanity dead when you are suggesting killing off people you don't like (with all the emotional development I'd expect of a brain damaged cave man) using a weapon that is A: known to mutate to attack different targets and B: we can't cure.

Some might get the impression that you intend for the total destruction of humanity.
>>
>>7796804
>slow down
>not reverse
GMOs are great, and so is super extreme crop production. Imagine how much less farmland we'll have to use when we scale back? Monsato needs to go for the sake of the environment and for agriculture as a whole. Public domain GMOs. that's like the greatest holy grail we'll never get to have.
>>
File: 1460929144985.jpg (53 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1460929144985.jpg
53 KB, 480x270
>>7796785
>monsato
>constantly lobbying and has their dick deep into the government which makes patent laws.
this is like saying we have to blame the government and not Disney for every year they add onto public domain to retain ownership of mickey mouse.
>>
>>7795245
>Most agricultural land goes to raising either animals, or animal feed
So you are saying we have to eat GMOs or give up meat
Yeah, thats a pretty fucking easy decisions considering meat is delicious and there is literally nothing wrong with GMOs
>>
>>7796813
um, that is very clearly a problem with the government

The stronger and larger a government becomes the more corrupt it becomes, you cannot blame companies for lobbying when they have to lobby to not get blown the fuck out by the government. Lawmakers designed the system to work this way because the didn't like capitalism
>>
>>7796810
>Public domain GMOs
The system is so overregulated that it costs way too much to create and test GMOs for people to create them just for charity. Luckily as technology advances creating GMOs becomes much cheap but the cost of bringing them to market and all the research that is required alone is prohibitive
>>
File: 1378388241449.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1378388241449.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
The sheer force of Monsanto-shill samefagging this thread and trying to be subtle about it is really amusing.

>it's necessary guys! (while the rich earth we are on is more than capable of providing for ten times the current population by using not even the 1/10th of the earth's workable soil)
>I don't care, you shouldn't care either guys!
>You are a hipster if you don't like eating cancer itself, or don't support Satan: The Company
>You are a retard if you don't like eating cancer itself, or don't support Satan: The Company

Golden arguments friend, keep them up.
>>
>>7796859
>Most westerners eat far too much meat for good health.
Yeah, we are doing ok. Who wants to not eat good things for an extra month or two on your life?
>>
>>7796865
lol at this idea that people who regard science above internet conspiracy theories are shills
>>
I find it funny that anto-Monsanto crowd attacks only them while jews are controlling almost all major food companies.
>>
>>7796870
Isn't it great when you can call out "IT'S SCIENCE MAN!" whenever you have no argument and your bullshit gets exposed?

No need to look into where the "research" comes from, nor is there any need to look into the truthfulness or the accuracy of the claimed research or data, nor is there any need to look into who the researchers and "scientists" are and by whom they are being funded and sustained by.

It's just science, bro. You are not a scientist, you wouldn't understand. It's science, and you are a lunatic dumb retard if you decide to look into the matter yourself.
>>
>>7796870
Loving the lightning-fast respond times with your scripted answers to defend your satanic company, they can't pay you enough.
>>
>>7796885
>No need to look into where the "research" comes from,
It comes from everywhere. There are all sorts of institutes with all sorts of agenda and they all come to the exact same conclusion

You can't just ignore research because ti doesn't match your religious worldview. Especially when there is literally no evidence to support your point. You pseudo science people are the fucking worst
>>
>>7796886
I consider many forms of meat to be good
I think its fucking stupid to suggest we stop eating meat or dramatically reduce it so we can devote more land to outdated farming practices rather than embracing completely safe and beneficial GMOs

Also, what the fuck do twinkies have to do with anything I said?
>>
>>7796868
>his argument for being disease ridden and/or being obese his whole life and losing "an extra month or two" is justified by eating "good things"

Oh man.
>>
>>7796888
Yeah, GMOs, Vaccines, Monsanto, Gluten and MSG are evil, fuck science Monsanto pays off every university in the country and literally owns the government so no science can ever be trusted. Instead trust my completely unsourced internet assertions that something is magically harmful despite the fact that it is impossible to produce any evidence for it
>>
>>7796904
Dude, plenty of people eat meat without being obese and 'disease ridden'
>>
>>7796891
Could you please back up your claim with proof friend?

>inb4 he links to a few articles with all caps titles telling you GMO is fine because a random scientist has said so, with no other data besides the random name of the random scientist

>>7796910
They simply can't pay you enough, great job shilling friend.
>>
>>7796915
If you only meant meat, my apologies. I thought you were defending fast food and the American obese culture.
>>
>>7796806
>(with all the emotional development I'd expect of a brain damaged cave man)
I'm going to lay things out as simply for you as possible so that you can understand the situation like an adult instead of behaving like a sassy child. Because it's time that you grow up from your "progressive" ideologies and realize there are more dangerous forces at work than hurt feelings.

Because of over use of antibiotics combined with rampant unchecked population growth, humanity is long due for a superbug (engineered or otherwise) destined to wipe out a large portion of humanity. The vast majority of the world is ill-equipped to combat this due to overpopulation and a complete and total inability to educate their population. The regions most susceptible to this are South America, Africa, and to a heavy extent Asia.

It's not a matter of "if" it will happen. It's a matter of "when".
And like it or not, one of the best (if not THE best) options is to control the "when" by creating the bug itself. This provides the advantage of knowing most of the ins and outs of the pathogen along with how to cure it.

It's the difference between a forest fire and a wildfire. Take your pick.
>>
>>7795218
>Claiming shit when there is no data before 1200ish
>>
>>7796920
>I thought you were defending fast food and the American obese culture.
I literally never mentioned anything about that.

My whole point was that it was ridiculous to argue for reducing the land we devote to livestock as a way to avoid embracing GMOs when GMO technology is completely safe and meat tastes good
>>
>>7796929
Oh, turns out you are the NWO shill, which is even worse.

You are most likely obese as well. I hope you repent while there's still hope for you.
>>
>>7796927
>What is statistical analysis
>>
File: Pew.jpg (179 KB, 684x1108) Image search: [Google]
Pew.jpg
179 KB, 684x1108
>>7796917
There is a very strong scientific consensus

Acting like its one or two obscure scientists is pretty disingenuous on your part

Here is ten minutes of cited data for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4bi60alZU
>>
>>7796934
I don't even know what you are talking about
>>
>>7795209
All negative.
GMO corn literally destroyed my ass a couple days ago.
How do you shit corn for 3 days after eating 2 cobs? Corn is whack.
>>
File: 1262212209049.png (307 KB, 1354x934) Image search: [Google]
1262212209049.png
307 KB, 1354x934
>>7796937
>climate change
>space programs
>SPACE STATIONS
>MMR vaccines with mercury in them are required *86 percent*
>evolution
>pesticides (literal poison) are fine

This is just golden.
>>
>>7796950
>>pesticides (literal poison) are fine
Do you know what a surface protein is?
>>
>>7796943
But my good friend, did you know EIGHTY EIGHT PERCENT of SCIENTISTS say that, it's OK?

You are not a lunatic, are you? You are not against, SCIENCE, are you? Or else, you might need to take your pills.

It's completely fine if you lose your natural bowel functions after eating 2 corn cobs, if you claim otherwise you go against SCIENCE, and you might have to be taken into a hospital.
>>
>>7796943
Dude, didn't you see that infographic image, telling you %88 percent of scientists (with zero info about who the scientists are, or how they are funded, or from which pool they are selected, or what their fields are) say that you are safe? You better enjoy shitting for days after eating a single meal for the rest of your life in the future, because SCIENCE (you wouldn't understand) says that's totally okay.
>>
>>7796937
seriously guys listen to this video
>>
>>7796943
>How do you shit corn for 3 days after eating 2 cobs?
That's dumb.

I can't think of any possible reason why GMO corn wouldn't go through your system any differently than normal corn.

The problem is you.
>>
>>7796943
You are the problem if you eat our specifically designed poison and get damaged by it. Better keep eating our safe(tm) GMO vegetables and meat to keep yourself healthier friend.
>>
>>7796962
its just like the women who sees her friend's daughter start showing autism symptoms a few months after getting a vaccine and assumes they are correlated. Mommy 'science' is the worst
>>
>>7796962
>>7796968
>>7796972
You're really shitty at samefagging.
>>
>>7796962
I have colic too but that corn destroyed me. I should have taken toilet pics for you, what a mess.
They can say it's safe but I still prefer not to eat food grown by a chemical company that has unleashed such horror on the world as this one.
>>
>>7796943
The problem is YOU. YOU need to get VACCINATED, as SOON as POSSIBLE to keep YOUR HEALTH.

STOP being the PROBLEM.
>>
>>7796978
And you are great at shilling, they simply can't pay you enough.

Repent while there's still time.
>>
File: samefag.png (6 KB, 397x115) Image search: [Google]
samefag.png
6 KB, 397x115
>>7796985
You're schizophreanic, and I'm not going to accept your untested anecdotes over empirical evidence.
>>
>>7796992
ROFL, obviously those posts are mine but oh wow, did you just screencap the posts that are supposed to be mine, shop (you)'s near them when the (you)'s should only be visible to the poster themselves? You're slipping hard buddy.

>you are a lunatic
>empirical evidence (zero provided evidence, let alone empirical)

Great scripted arguments friend, they simply can't pay you enough.

Repent while there's time.
>>
>>7796983
I was. Literally every vaccine.
Now I have autism, lupus, porphyria, colic and a 2/2/3 heart rhythm.

Life is an absolute nightmare. None of these conditions developed until age 22.
>>
Stop feeding the obvious troll, you retards.
>>
>>7797004
Yeah buddy, monsanto is great, I don't know what everyone is talking about. They are the best company out there.

GMOs are healthy, healthier than natural food. So what if there upwards of %60 of more likelyhood of developing cancer and dying a horrible death by eating monsanto foods? I don't care, you are a retarded lunatic if you care.
>>
>>7797010
>than natural food
The fuck is 'natural' food. Any crop or livestock we eat is pretty fucking unnatural. Unless you are a hunter gatherer its unlikely you consume natural food
>>
File: samefag.png (9 KB, 397x115) Image search: [Google]
samefag.png
9 KB, 397x115
>>7796999
>did you just screencap the posts that are supposed to be mine, shop (you)'s near them when the (you)'s should only be visible to the poster themselves?
People actually do this?

I just edited the HTML.
How illiterate are you?
>>
I feed my kids nothing but monsanto, thankfully it's the most healthy food we can get, and it's cheap too! I really need some healthy food for them since both my son and my daughter have mild autism, but thankfully it didn't escalte into something more because I did all 42 of their vaccines on time.

My daughter has trouble breathing (doctors can't tell why), and my little son has a type of stomach cancer, but thankfully I have monsanto to keep them healthy as always.
>>
>>7797020
>knowledge about coding equals being illiterate

Also thanks for admitting to being a shill, they simply can't pay you enough.
>>
>>7797004
It's not a troll.

It's a schizo conspiratard from a flyover state.
These shitters show up all the time. This one's defense mechanism happens to be "I know people are going to question my sanity in advance, therefore I am sane! Take that!"
>>
>>7797033
Yeah man, those lunatics doing their own research and stuff when there's science and infographics to look at. They should just be quiet and eat their GMOs.
>>
>>7797032
>Literacy
>competence or knowledge in a specified area.
You know, I was simply accusing you of technological illiteracy.

But now I see that you're illiterate in the colloquial sense as well.
>>
>>7797037
Because surely, when you say illiterate, it does signify the illiteracy of the coding branch of technology. Your argument was to point out that I belong to the "coding branch of technology illiterate", which happens to cover about almost everyone within the world population.

My apologies, I simply cannot match your intelligence, please forgive my illiteracy.
>>
>>7797036
I'm not accusing you of being schizo because you question science.

I'm accusing you of being schizo because you're posting like an obsessive spaz trying to dominate the conversation, which is a tell-tale sign.

The fact that you're a flyover conspiritard just adds further to the evidence.
>>
File: konkai.png (155 KB, 419x460) Image search: [Google]
konkai.png
155 KB, 419x460
>>7797051
>My apologies, I simply cannot match your intelligence, please forgive my illiteracy.
Apology accepted.
>>
>>7797052
Nice buzzwords and personal attacks brother, really does help when you have no argument. I'm sure if you spew further buzzwords it will be "further to the evidence".
>>
>>7797052
Most of the anti-GMO conspiracy theorists are coastie as fuck, don't put that evil on us flyovers
>>
>>7797059
Nice samefag friend. I hope you bring up another screencap.
>>
File: 1401930047451.png (407 KB, 570x578) Image search: [Google]
1401930047451.png
407 KB, 570x578
>>7797024
What would we do without Monsanto?
>>
File: samefag.png (7 KB, 371x85) Image search: [Google]
samefag.png
7 KB, 371x85
>>7797058
The only real buzzword I used was "flyover".

Based on your posting style alone, though, your status as an obsessive conspirispaz is objective.

>>7797062
Not him, but I made this for you anyway.
>>
File: 323.jpg (45 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
323.jpg
45 KB, 500x493
>all these monsanto shills in this thread
>>
To all the blatant shills (or the single samefag) in this thread, I hope you repent while there's still time.

You don't have to work for a "creative marketing" company, you don't have to defend satanic companies spreading cancer, lies, death and suffering for a living. I know they pay you "well enough", but it's not worth your soul.

Repent while there's time.
>>
>>7797082
>jesus christ
>white
>>
>>7795218
Not even taking into consideration food waste, about 40% of global crops grown go to feed animals, and in the U.S. it's more like 50-60%. Genetic modification isn't "necessary," it's only necessary to feed amerifats meat 3 times a day
>>
>>7798042
What a fucking silly argument.
>We should adopt this safe and wildly beneficial technology because instead we can make huge fucking sacrifices in other parts of our lives

There is literally zero reason not to embrace GMOs, the fact that they are not the only possible solution to our problem doesn't outweigh the fact that it is by far the best solution
>>
Every natural food lobbyist should read this http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-mistrust-of-science
>>
>>7796937
>Yeah I mean I guess the ISS was an alright choice.

Vs scientists

>Yeah I think the ISS was a neat idea, I guess.
>>
>>7795218
>This means that there needs to be advancements made to increase crop yield.

The increased productivity we will gain through Global Warming will work wonders. Remember -- plants grow better when its warm and there is more CO2.

Add in GMO and the future looks bright. At least until the Holocene (our current interglacial warm period of this ice age) ends and we start seeing massive glaciers form. When that happens, the major causes of death are likely to be starvation and deaths from fighting over quicly dwindling resources.
>>
>>7795209

Did nothing wrong.
>>
>>7795758
THIS THIS THIS

fuck religoin..
>>
>>7795209
Monsanto is pretty cool
>>
File: 1357686851076.jpg (6 KB, 160x180) Image search: [Google]
1357686851076.jpg
6 KB, 160x180
Chemical laden boxed food isn't good and neither is your company. You should get a job in car sales, it's more honest.
>>
>>7796856
Expecting corporations to behave ethically in the absence of government is as delusional as expecting them to behave ethically right now.

People who want free market capitalism are just people who want to behave unethically without consequence.
>>
File: 20160527_101613.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160527_101613.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Monsanto isn't really any different than any other giant corporation. They're not immune to certain things that may call into question their business ethics.

Walmart is the same, they've had "scandals" of their own, yet people still shop there and do so willingly and happily.

A lot of the negative perception of Monsanto comes from waaayy overly-exaggerated rumors or even outright lies.

For example, I was talking to a woman the other day, and she was all "you know what I read? I read that the wheat farmers saturate their crop in in roundup before harvesting. This is terrible. I can't even eat bread anymore without someone trying to poison me"

I very nearly couldn't contain my giggles.

First of all, nobody "saturates" any crop with roundup. It's a very light mist at most. Second, when wheat is ready to harvest, water is cut off and the crop is allowed to finish out and dry. That's. Literally. All.

I've never seen (in my 34 years of farming, yup I'm a farmer; no, not religious) roundup sprayed on wheat other than to kill off and take out a stand that won't produce well, or is diseased, or was only an off-season cover crop, etc; but in this event, it's not being harvested and especially not for food at that. Then it dies and is tilled under, and a different crop is usually planted.

There are billions of people on planet earth. They need food. In a lot of places, drought and other issues make raising any type of food crop difficult. Enter into the picture GMO.
It's a well-intentioned and somewhat noble cause, even with the amount of controversy surrounding it, to try to create crops that can grow in these environments so that these people can eat.

This was never some company out to destroy humanity or some shit like some (usually ignorant "sheep" types) folks like to think.

TL; DR:
Monsanto isn't the evil giant most people would have you believe. No more so than walmart is.

>let the flaming commence, you fucking faggots.
>>
>>7805566
Most of this.

People can't buy your wheat and corn if they're fucking dead.
>>
>>7805566
Are you arguing that nobody hates Walmart?

Maybe it's a function of where you live, but the only person in my family who willingly goes to Walmart is my grandmother. None of my friends would dare admit to going there, and a lot of my coworkers talk shit about it.

Walmart is basically on the same tier as Monsanto in the minds of most people I know.
>>
>>7805601
No, not really.
I personally hate walmart and I'll pick either the local places or hit up Safeway or something. My point being though, that places like walmart don't get to be the size they are because everyone hates them.
>>
>>7805566
what part of Monsato suing farmers when their "patented" crops end up in their fields due to wind pollination or wind seed dispersal isn't an exaggeration?
>>
>>7805653
It has been known to happen, yes.

I personally know several people who grow roundup ready corn directly for Monsanto for several years and they've never once had any issues. They're generally treated pretty well, considering that without the farmers they would not have the land and resources available to produce the product.

Usually when a farmer gets sued, it's because the farmer didn't follow the rules of the contract.

They pay the farmer the same for the crop regardless of yields and/or outcome. The farmer provides land and irrigation and that's it. They have crews (usually mexicans) walk through and pull weeds by hand (ironic, right?) nearly daily.

When that very same corn ends up in the neighbor's field down the road a skip and a jump, it's generally not because of "wind" or some such shit. Not to say that that couldn't ever happen, but it's not likely.

Farmers aren't all the same. Some of them are as unscrupulous and unethical as can be. Boils down to the type of person the individual is, much like any other occupation. We're not immune to having a few bad apples ourselves, the same as large corporations may end up with a scandal on their hands.

Now that's not to say that they've never gone after people, and quite aggressively. That's the part where, imo, the ethical business practices are called into question.

Like I said before, it actually IS an exaggeration though. Stories likely perpetuated by bitter farmers under suit and staunchly anti-Monsanto "warriors". The same difference as "saturated" in roundup vs a lightly sprayed mist. Quite an exaggeration, if you can see what I mean. In general, this doesn't really happen much.

Nobody is perfect.
>>
If this thread is still up within the next few days I'll try to post a picture of a local RR corn crop. The fields are very clearly marked and there are signs posted all around letting people know exactly what is growing there and not to trespass under penalty of law.

It's hard to make an excuse for a farmer walking in there and taking a bunch of seed corn and planting it for their own purposes.

First of all, the wind doesn't just blow enough of this stuff onto another farmer's field and plant it in rows and then irrigate.

Usually people get sued for violating the rules.

But, the system isn't perfect either and sometimes people get sued and lose for things they shouldn't have. America is famous for this. Remember the lady that sued McDonald's after burning herself with the hot coffee? Just stupid.
>>
>>7805566
>A lot of the negative perception of Monsanto comes from waaayy overly-exaggerated rumors or even outright lies.
no shit, but that doesn't make monsato not worse than other corporations numbnuts. most of the shit they do thats bad isn't even in public perception, they don't even know theres a monsanto to hate, they just think GMO bad, organic GUD. Saying that people have false ideas about what they are is no an excuse, because corporations litterally breed this kind of situation to begin with, you see it all the time in lop sided product comparisons as commercials, and media gambits to get "bad publicity".

Monsato isn't awful because they use round up, it's because they have looked at their powerful arms, and decided the best thing to do with them is to kill off anyone economically that can threaten their monopoly, and to jealously bully everyone away from a technology that could help tons of people because they somehow own the idea of GMO research. theyre a whale that;s infiltrated our government and beached itself right over our agricultural progress and they need to be bled and carved as soon as possible.
>>
>>7805746
>Remember the lady that sued McDonald's after burning herself with the hot coffee? Just stupid.
I remember.
Do YOU?
>>
HA HA THOSE SILLY, STUPID AMERICANS, SUING EACH OTHER OVER HOT COFFEE
>>
>>7805566
So what you are saying is roundup is used to kill of diseased or under performing crops or use to increase the productivity of off season cover crops right?
If that is so why is all the GMO wheat in the us designed to be roundup resistant?
Wouldn't that cause they issue of
not being able to kill of diseased or underperforming crops at will?

Also besides golden rice or papayas name a crop Monsanto genetically modified to increase its productivity or make disease resistant
>>
>>7805783
Much like any other very large corporation would do, no?

Also, you sound a bit like someone who read something about it on the internet once, based on the way you're saying things. I could be wrong; it has been known to happen.

All I'm offering are my opinions based on actual real-life dealings with this company, not some shit I read online (though I do kinda/sorta read some of it, doesn't mean I always believe it, things can be worded and twisted to sound much worse than they are. [See saturated vs misted]). I thought that's what this thread was about, right? Thoughts on Monsanto?
>>
File: bhopal-baby-200x217.jpg (15 KB, 200x217) Image search: [Google]
bhopal-baby-200x217.jpg
15 KB, 200x217
>>7805746
>Remember the lady that sued McDonald's after burning herself with the hot coffee?
Yeah. They served it like 20 degrees hotter than accepted industry best practices even after repeatedly being warned that it was unsafe. Multiple skin graft surgeries. It was the poster child case of the "tort reform" hoax which is really just a bullshit effort by big corporations to make themselves unaccountable to the public.

People like you want to turn the world into a libertarian paradise so companies like Union Carbide can accidentally release toxic gas in the middle of a major US city and kill millions of people and oops, nobody can sue because lawsuits are abolished and their general counsel is also the attorney general of the united states!
>>
>>7805815
You can use roundup on non-GM crops.
>>
>>7805653
When over 50% of your field is carrying Monsanto's crops, it happen from "wind seed dispersal."
>>
>>7805815
A cover crop does nothing more than prevent erosion during the non farming season. Nothing more. It is never harvested.

It is widely known that Monsanto has been trying to find a way to produce many different grain crops that are drought resistant, for example. These include staples such as corn and wheat.

It's more akin to trying to create a more efficient engine for an automobile. They're not doing it to fuck us all over.
>>
I don't approve of seeds that kill themselves if they aren't planted because it undermines people's food security. Monsanto sells seeds that do this on purpose and I think that is immoral.
On the other hand, there are benefits to GMO crops that cannot be denied. So I think Monsanto is a sleazy company with some good products, kind of like the pharmaceutical industry.
>>
>>7805820
Not exactly; my point more being that they didn't exactly dump it on her, intentionally trying to harm her.

Accidents fucking happen. It's an unfortunate thing to happen to her, but holy shit.

Also, there really is no arguing that frivolous and stupid lawsuits tie up the system daily and cost a fuckton. Just used that one as an example.
>>
>>7805815
Roundup resistant wheat won't die when sprayed with roundup, simply put. This makes weed control about a zillion times more efficient.

Glyphosate isn't really all that dangerous. Considering people poison themselves every day with alcohol, nicotine, hell even charred meat- I find it silly. What about microwave ovens and cellphones lol
>>
>>7805858
To add to this, paraquat is also widely used and will, in fact, kill you. Most fumigants like Telone and Vapam are extremely dangerous, also widely used in potato fields to eliminate nematodes.

But glyphosate is always the bad guy. Funny how that works.
>>
>>7795758

edgy as fuck
>>
>>7795763

Did you hit it?
>>
>>7805830
Farmerfag here. I agree.
You pretty much wrapped it in a nutshell.
>>
Sadly we need them in this world. The rapid population growth and shrinking land space is making growing enough food harder and harder, and we need companies like them with the resources and money to fund research into how to make it sustainable. Though it would be nicer to address the issue, the general public are fucking morons about these issues, and only want things to be easier so GMO's are closest to the only option for sustainable food supplies..
>>
File: 1446284682930.jpg (634 KB, 3296x3885) Image search: [Google]
1446284682930.jpg
634 KB, 3296x3885
>>
>>7795218
>Too many niggers
>Solution to jew and emasculate whites
>>
>>7795245
Corn, corn, corn and more corn
>>
>>7805806
>>7805811
XD ITS JUST A COFFEE
who cares if it was 20 degrees too hot for serving barely below boiling point
>>
>>7805915
>we need more food to increase already unsustainable populations in unstable countries

M-makes sense.

Then again, you do realize that the energy-intensive GMO crops are primarily used in America, a country with more than enough food and not poor African countries?
>>
>>7795209
Try to avoid because I think they're an awful corporate citizen. Will go out of my way to do so.
>>
I can respect the section of Monsanto that wants to help bees and the population in the US.

I don't know where to start learning about the crop testing they do. I don't have an opinion about them any more.

I tried to support a petition signing place to help ban chemicals to help bees. And I had gotten sick of listening to them ask for signatures.
>>
>>7795209
>Thoughts?

Evil.
>>
File: 1435275695095.jpg (31 KB, 506x527) Image search: [Google]
1435275695095.jpg
31 KB, 506x527
>>7795758
Is mommy making you go to church on Sunday?
>>
File: 1316561150943.jpg (58 KB, 385x383) Image search: [Google]
1316561150943.jpg
58 KB, 385x383
>>7805746
>>7805806
>>7805811
I love when retards bring this up as an example of a frivolous lawsuit and get blown the fuck out.
>>
>>7806654
Must not have kept reading yet then.

The crazy amount of ridiculous lawsuits simply can't be denied, even disregarding the McDonald's incident. It's become an unfortunate fact of life.

Your point doesn't hold much water anymore but I do understand exactly why you found this humorous.
>>
>>7795209
1. The idea of a few companies monopolizing the world's agriculture is scary as fuck.
2. The idea of sewing farmers for copyright infingement because of planting the seeds of their pruduct likewise, this has been an ancient practise and right of peasants that nobody has ever tried to violate since the dawn of agriculture and mankind.
3. Roundup is probably leading to cancer.
4. Monsanto's argument on increasing crop yield is flawed because after a few generations crop yield started to decrease, this has been reported by farmers. Not to mention what kind of everything-resistant terminator pest could all this genetic manipulation lead to.
5. Literally noone knows what horrible sideeffects these abominations of plants can cause to human health or environment as Monsanto tries everything in its power to suffocate independant researches. The American approach of considering every GMO adequate untill proven otherwise is dangerous and retarded.
>>
>>7805846
But it's a terrible example, you're just parroting "tort-reform" propaganda based on a few sound bites. Educate yourself:

http://priceonomics.com/how-a-lawsuit-over-hot-coffee-helped-erode-the-7th/

For future reference, if you want to not sound like an ignorant tool, here is a real example of frivolous lawsuits. Note also that there is a mechanism for shutting them down, which is exactly what happened in the case below:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/2014/10/01/frequent-filer-represents-lawsuits/16529047/
>>
>>7795218
Wouldn't the solution be to cull the weak and stupid?
>>
>>7795209
>sign up to take surveys for money
>food related one comes up
>entire back half of the survey is used as an advertisement for Monsanto because my answers about them weren't positive enough
Decreased my opinion about them.
>>
>>7807110
Your unnecessary dickheaded-ness aside, yeah, you just reinforced my point about lawsuits not worthwhile. Oh, there's a mechanism to stop them, huh? Too bad by the time it's implemented the damage has been done. It's not a perfect system, anon. Like I said before, that's a fact that can't even be denied or argued. They happen, they happen often, and they are a colossal waste.

McDonald's example, I admit, was a poor example but I used it because it's a well known story. In retrospect I should have chosen a different example.

As far as being educated, I'm not going to claim to be some crazy genius or some shit, but just because I'm a farmer doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I've several degrees, each one has some significant impact on my farm. There is much, much more science involved than most people think. We don't stand around with dirty overalls, missing teeth, and a dumb look on our faces. How many people do you know that has put in 36 hour days to get the things done that need to be done? In today's world to make it as a farmer you have to be smarter than the other guy all day long. As they say in this business, to break even is a good year. It's more a lifestyle than an occupation, though it will occupy nearly 100% of your time. You really, really have to love what you do.

Most farmers are actually pretty goddamn smart; don't be fooled.

Anyway, friend, enjoy your day. I've got work to do. I can't 4chan while sitting in a GPS-guided tractor that steers itself all day, every day.

But I often wish I could lol
>>
>>7797051
HTML is markup, not programming/coding.
>>
>>7805846
How hot would the coffee have to be before you admitted there was actionable negligence on McD's part?

If they served her a cup of brown colored acid labeled "This is coffee that you can drink" on the side, would you say they were responsible for melting her head her off when she tried?

The crux of them being responsible for what happened to her is NOBODY CAN EVEN DRINK COFFEE HOT ENOUGH 3RD DEGREE BURNS ON CONTACT. Food that can maim you isn't food you can ethically serve.
>>
>>7807833
It would be more like a cup that says "hot coffee can burn" (everyone knows how hot coffee can burn) and it was served at a temperature far beyond all reason (which they did) and then you get maimed and they go "told you so lol faget" (which they did)

There's a web site that sells novelty magnets, all sizes, to consumers who just want a toy. The big neodymium magnets are dangerous, they can quite literally maim you if you put your hands between them. McDonalds logic is to say "strong magnets, be careful". The website owner knows that most people would underestimate what "strong" means, so they put a more detailed warning: "these can smash your kids hand to a bloody pulp, don't even think about keeping two of these in the same room"

McDonalds should have changed the cups to say "this coffee is far hotter than any coffee served at any other restaurant, if you spill this you're going to the hospital". But they didn't, and that's why they got sued for $20k (even though shills make it sound like the lady asked for billions of dollars)
>>
>>7805874
>>7806640
Religion sucks, faggots.

I get it. You're trying to be contrarian in CURRENT YEAR by pretending to be a christian posting on a nubian typewriting simulator, but it doesn't change the fact that religion is garbage.
>>
>>7808334
>not being a tip top edgelord = pretending to be Xtian
So by your logic, you must be pretending to be a card carrying member of the Church of Satan?

Move out of the Bible belt, it would do you good
>>
>>7808361
I can't even begin to understand your post and have lost interest entirely.
>>
>>7808600
>as you can tell from my enlightened post of euphoria hours later, I am definitely not interested
Ok
>>
>>7808603
Shit, faggot, you didn't even skip a beat to reply.

I hope you're not a samefag, cause that'd be pathetic.
>>
>>7808607
>please don't make fun of me guys, if you do it's samefagging and pathetic :(
Ok
>>
>>7808615
>I'm going to make up things that other dude didn't say and reply ok to it
Ok
>>
Monsanto is great! #ImWithHer
>>
>>7808692
Not an argument.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
>>7805986
>>
>>7808103
fucking this.
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.