[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
feijoada meat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10
I'm a bulk cooker and I try to cook new things every week. This week I'm making feijoada for my meat accompaniment. It looks like the traditional feijoada meat is ham hocks. What would you replace it with if you wanted to go with a better cut?
>>
I would go with the ham hocks

You want a gnarly tough salty cut with a fair amount of connective tissue

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, if you feel an irresistible urge to spend money, buy some iberico de bellota hocks on the internet for $1000 and waste them on your bean stew
>>
I wish I knew what feijoada was. I'm actually too lazy to spend 3 seconds googling it

also, ham hocks have a crazy amount of flavor and using a better cut might not get you a better dish
>>
I'd probably do beef shanks or ox tail instead.
>>
>>7778556
mexico good boy stew
>>
File: IMG_5733.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5733.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
went to brazilian bbq the other night, I think you could use ox tail or short rib but that's pricey now
>>
>>7778546
My friend's wife who lives in Spain uses chorizo, blood sausage, pork belly and leg of pork as meats.
>>
I'm heading to the store now to buy supplies, what's the canned equivalent of 12oz dry black beans? Also gimme suggestions and I'll post a cook-along
>>
>>7781407
So let me get this straight, you're going to put already cooked beans in with the ingredients and recipe for feijoada? It's going to come out all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>7781433
It's not going to be as good for sure, but it's going to simmer for like an hour, the flavors will meddle well enough. Saves me the overnight soak time
>>
>>7781447
no, the meat needs to be cooked for hours, if you do this you'll have either completely obliterated your pre-cooked beans, or your meat will be tough and inedible

that's why dry beans are used
>>
Dude watch a video of any brazilian doing this shit. We invented it and there are plenty of good vids around. I cant help since I have never eaten this in my life :/
>>
>>7781458
what if u add theem later
>>
>>7781520
then you're not really saving yourself any time, but sure I guess
>>
>>7781447
I also suck **MASSIVE**
C O C K
XDD
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Ingredients purchased, gonna start sweating some onion and simmering the meat in broth separately, adding the beans in later
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Browning before simmering. I'm just freestyling this one guys, I looked at a few recipes and it looks easy enough. Gonna concentrate on not boiling everything to mush
>>
>>7781577
>no smoked pig parts
>no cured meats at all
>beef
>no oranges
it's a bit of a creative liberty to call this feijoada, but I'm sure it will be nutritious and tasty
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7781615
You actually just reminded me that I had spicy soppresatta doing nothing in my fridge, so I'm crisping that now and will toss it in later
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Adding the sweated onion, crisped soppresatta, jalapeño, and garlic to the meat boil. Doing it real lazy here guys. What spices should I add?
>>
>>7781776
Bay leaf is pretty standard
>>
>>7781669
Your beef looks nicely greyed
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7781797
Threw in bay leaf, half a skinned lemon, and a small can of whole tomato

Reducing liquid then adding beans for final simmer
>>
>>7781813
What do you mean by "skinned lemon"? If anything you want to throw in the peel not the actual lemon. The tomato provides enough acidity already

I mean an orange would have been better but the lemon could work I guess
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7781816
Eh oh well, it's a little lemon for how much end product there will be. Beans went in, doing the final reduction and seasoning
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here it is. Bones removed and meat has been shredded a bit
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
And finally here's the meal prep aspect of this. 10 containers of 10oz, I'm working out the calories now. It tastes great, not quite authentic but it hits all the same notes you would hope for
>>
>>7781458
That's not true at all. I make a variation of feijoada pretty regularly and always use canned black beans. Bring the pot to boil over medium-high heat, put the beans in after straining and cooked for 1-2 hours while you prep the rest of the meat/ingredients. Place all ingredients in the pot and simmer for...well, however long you want. Usually 4+ hours for me. Everything turns out fine.

>>7778546
Just use whatever meat you want. Ham hocks are tradition, but the point of feijoada is to be able to use whatever you have available. I like chorizo (ground or links, whichever), ground beef, and something else a little more unique....it changes frequently. Short ribs are great, but costly.
>>
>>7782165
That's some chunky looking poo op looks good
>>
>>7778546
You could add pig ears, they are used a lot where I live, and choriço is mandatory.
If you want to make it more substantial add some shredded cabbage and some carrots, with a bit of red wine.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.