[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ here, looking for cooking advice. Bought a 2.5lb beef
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
/fit/ here, looking for cooking advice.

Bought a 2.5lb beef chuck roast a couple days ago, decided to cook it in my slow cooker today. I scored the meat, rubbed in some spices, and seared it on all sides before putting it in the slow roaster.

With a sear, how long should I slow roast it? The slow roast sauce packet says 6-7 hours, but last time I did that, it came out so dry. It's been about 3 hours now, and it already looks very shrunken and juicy. How can I tell when it's done?
>>
>>7774902
>the slow roast sauce packet says

you cook a shitty cut with a shitty sauce without a clue what youre doing, just cut into it and check for doneness you cunt
>>
>>7774902
Cut it open, ya dingus. Meat isn't a water balloon. Cut it open, see if it's tender.

Also,
>sauce packet
what did you dooooooo
>>
It's probably already done. Cut into it in a spot and try some. Better than ruining the whole fucking thing.
>>
>>7774921

This, christ. Agreed 100% on both points.
>>
Invest in a meat thermometer OP and find out what the ideal core temperature you want for your meat is.
>>
>>7774919
>>7774921
>>7774923

I'm a /fit/, a sauce packet is a simple solution that doesn't require me to use spices that I'll never use for anything ever again
>>
Until the collagen has broken down. You're probably good now.
>>
I fucked it up /ck/ its well done and it sucks shit
>>
>>7774902
You are not supposed to score the meat, that will make the juices come out and evaporate.
Just rub it with the seasoning, sear it and then cook it slowly
>>
OP, you can't really fuck up chuck by overcooking it (if you're braising it, that is). Chuck is tough for a long time, and then it breaks down and falls apart.
>>
>>7775007
are you surprised? next time look something up or ask for help before you destroy it
>>
>>7774940
You must love bland food if you can't think of a few basic spices to invest in that you can use in nearly every meal.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 320x132) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 320x132
>>7775007
>slow cooker
>it's not medium rare!
What did you expect? You want rare beef, you grill or pan sear it. Slow cooking is for making well-done meats that are incredibly tender because they've been cooking for 5+ hours.
>>
Its always going to be well done in a slow cooker.
>>
>>7775104

It's braising in a slow cooker. Nothing's evaporating aside from your cooking knowledge.
>>
>>7775265
nothing's getting burned except this guy >>7775104
>>
>>7775265
>>7775270
If OP wants the meat to look like >>7774902 then you have to do it like I said, scoring the meat is for making well done meat that melts easily afterwards
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.