[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got half a white cabbage leftover from another recipe.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: cabbage.png (273 KB, 550x300) Image search: [Google]
cabbage.png
273 KB, 550x300
I've got half a white cabbage leftover from another recipe. How to use it, besides raw or briefly pan-fried?
Extra thanks for recipes with cabbage and meat, and maybe potato.
>>
>>7764429
Pollack bro in another thread posted some great Polish food. You could make his pierogi and fill the inside with fried onion, cabbage, and meat.p
>>
>shred cabbage and toss with olive oil salt and pepper
>put in oven safe dish and bake for few mins
>when almost cooked through, pull out and crack two eggs in
>bake until eggs are cooked over easy
>pull out, break yolks and enjoy

you can shred some cheese the same time you put in the eggs
>>
>>7764429
Use it in a salad instead of iceberg lettuce.
>>
>>7764429
If it hasn't dried out too much you could try making sauerkraut.
>>
>>7764429
half a cabbage will only make one portion, but here goes
render pancetta in a pot
add in lots and lots of diced onion
stir-fry
add in cubed potato
stir-fry a bit more
add in julienned cabbage, paprika and some tomato paste
put on lid, wait for cabbage to wilt, remove lid, reduce further
drop in lots of parsley and some sour cream, cook for another minute
done
>>
Italian here.
We stew chopped or shredded cabbage in a small bit of vegetable broth and a soffritto of garlic, tomato, fatty raw-cured dry pork (any is fine, prosciutto, pancetta, etc) and olive oil. Then we add rice and more veg broth little by little to cook the rice through.
Plate it up and top with lots of grated cheese.
You can eat a large portion as a meal or serve it in smaller portions as a side dish to a fried cutlet of beef or pork or a rib-chop of pork. I guess chicken would be okay, too. If you serve it as a side, have another veg dish with it. I like eggy peas.
>>
OP here
Thanks everybody. I ended up improvising some cabbage-and-meat balls. Just finely mince your cabbage and the usual egg will stick your meatballs together. I dind't add any spice because I wanted to see what it would be like.
They actually ended up pretty good, if a little bit on the too sweet side. It may be best to use a different kind of cabbage.

>>7765179
I checked it up and it actually sounds pretty easy. Will definitely try it very soon.

>>7765181
Kind of similar to what I originally used the other half (and another whole) cabbage for.
Pan fry your choice of veggies each separetely, in my case cabbage, carrots, onions, celery and zucchini.
Do the same to ground pork.
When the pork is ready, add the vegetables and your choice of spices.
Cook for another couple of minutes or until it dries up a little bit.
Serve with any flatbread and sour cream or yogurt-based dressing.

>>7765200
Italian too. I find white cabbage to be a little bland for risotto. I prefer a more strong cabbage for that, like "verza" (I think it's kale in english, not sure).
>>
>>7764429
>>7765179

only decent use for cabbage
>>
>>7764429
England here.
Boil it for two hours until it turns grey.
>>
>>7764429
make coleslaw and eat it with some BBQ
>>
>>7765254
Kale is cavolo nero, I think. Or, at least, that's the closest we have to kale in Italy. I think verza is just a deeply green cabbage, unlike what other countries call "green cabbage," which is that one in your pic. I don't know how to call verza in other languages and I don't know if other countries even eat it. Though yeah, I was thinking exactly that: riso e verza, just not as soupy.
>>
Hot pan + peanut oil. Add whole cumin and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to pop add cabbage and cubed potato, lower heat slightly. Stir fry a little. Add chopped fresh ginger, turmeric powder, chili pepper powder and salt. Stir. Add a little water and cook until potatoes are done, adding a little extra water along the way if needed to keep from sticking. BVy the time potatoes are cooked there should be a very little liquid in the pan.

Goes with any curry and/or dal.
>>
>>7765316

feel like you would want to start the potatos in oil + hot pan first by themselves? then lower temp and the cumin/mustard then the cabbage/ginger/tumeric/chili/salt/water

sounds gewd tho. poo in loo spices make even garbage like tofu and cabbage taste good
>>
>>7765327
Potatoes and cabbage (or cauliflower, for that matter) take pretty much the same time to cook.
>>
>>7765338

good to know i guess (although i rarely use cabbage or cauliflower) still would like a nice browning to the tatos
>>
>>7765350
You get plenty of flavor from the seared cumin, so you don't miss the browning in this dish.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.