[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/, when I was a young lad I lived in Indiana. A local bar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: Pork_tenderloin_sandwich.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Pork_tenderloin_sandwich.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
/ck/, when I was a young lad I lived in Indiana. A local bar my mom went to had these awesome pork tenderloin sandwiches, spreading bountifully away from the bun even more so than pic related. Also had crinkle cut fries funnily enough. Anyway, I've never had one since leaving, and I'd like to make it. Any of you have a favorite recipe or any tips to share?
>>
>>7763185
They make something like that at a diner in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Except they use porkchop and it fits the bun better.

Tried it once, thought it was gross as fuck desu.
>>
>>7763215
Did they pound it thin? I don't think it'd work right with pork chop rather than pork loin.
>>
>>7763219
Not as far as I could tell. It was cut thin, breaded, and fried. Served with pickles.
>>
>>7763185
I mean, you just pound it flat, bread it, and fry it. Lots of techniques, but I like making cutlets, pounding flat, seasoning, rubbing mustard on, then coating in panko. Then you fry in olive oil.

Something like your picture looks like how you cut it to make a stuffed pork loin, except when it's flat you leave it that way, pound and divvy how big you want. Then soak in buttermilk, salt/pepper, flour, eggwash, breadcrumb, then deep fry. More a restaurant thing unless you've having a bunch of guests and have a deep fryer (or fuckheug pan).
>>
They just pound the pork really thin, do a standard three stage breading, and throw it in the deep fryer. Then it's just a matter of throwing it on a bun and adding whatever toppings.

Iv'e only had them a few times, but honestly don't know why nobody sells them outside of Indiana. They're kind of stupid, but are also cheap, easy to make, and fun to eat.
>>
File: sandwich.jpg (348 KB, 1983x1115) Image search: [Google]
sandwich.jpg
348 KB, 1983x1115
>>7763236
Nah dog, I don't think that was the same shit. Thanks for the reply though.

>>7763252
>Something like your picture looks like how you cut it to make a stuffed pork loin, except when it's flat you leave it that way
Like cut it almost in half through the thick side and then just lay it out?

>>7763256
>cheap
>fun to eat
Can confirm. Hope you aren't rusing me about easy to make.
>>
File: stuffed pork loin.jpg (92 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
stuffed pork loin.jpg
92 KB, 600x450
>>7763265
Second guy you're quoting, but imagine a cinnamon roll. One inch in form the side, cut down, then once you're one inch from the edge you're cutting towards (bottom) turn 90 degrees, then repeat until it completely unravels flat.

Pic related, but it looks a little sloppy. Imagine that unraveled.
>>
>>7763287
Alright, that seems doable. I don't have a meat mallet, think a cast iron skillet would work?
>>
>>7763265

>hope you aren't rusing me about easy to make

It's really simple in a restaurant with a deep fryer, especially if you know basic frying techniques. The biggest issue at home would be getting enough oil into a big pot in order to fry something that big. You could always shallow fry in a large pan, but throwing something into a heat controlled deep fryer is mindless work.
>>
>>7763298
I don't mind using my mind for this on occasion, not like I'm making it all day every day. I got a 10" cast iron skillet and a thermometer, should work fine yeah?
>>
>>7763296
Yeah, may want to put it between saran wrap though for a little better distribution (and a little less mess). Or not, depends on how you feel.
>>
>>7763302

Yeah, you should have no problem if you've done anything similar before. It's all pretty basic.

My point was more that in a restaurant kitchen where everything is already set up and ready to go you could easily pump out half a dozen fried tenderloin sandwiches every couple of minutes.
>>
>>7763302
You're not gonna be able to fit a huge ass one in a 10" skillet if you're pounding it out. I don't really use a thermometer on pan frying either, but I guess it would be good insurance if you don't trust yourself to know by feel.
>>
>>7763320
Well, that's the biggest skillet I got at the moment. I guess worst case I could cook separately and stack em, I ended up ripping off the pork and stacking onto the bun sometimes anyway when I was eating them before.
>>
File: you too kid.jpg (30 KB, 317x450) Image search: [Google]
you too kid.jpg
30 KB, 317x450
>>7763215
>Mount Airy, North Carolina
Live there or just visiting?
>>
>>7763185
why wouldnt they cut it in half and give you another bun?
>>
>>7763458
Cause that's not the point anon, that's not the point at all.
>>
>>7763473
but I like pork schnitzels and all that but I'd rather have two pork schnitzel sammichs than half a schnitzel hanging out either end
>>
>>7763478
There's something to be said for having this instead my man, it's fun to eat like the other guy said.
>>
>>7763488
b-but two schnitzel sammiches ;_;
>>
>>7763490
TRY IT ANON
>>
>>7763185

My grandmother used to make Palacsinta, and when she did, I'd always have it with cottage cheese and chocolate milk powder. Don't ask why, but to this day I'll eat that shit. I miss her.
>>
OP here, the butcher at Publix cut the pork loin for me so I plan to soak it in salt and pepper, egg, and buttermilk overnight and fry em up tomorrow after work. Will report back.
>>
>>7766138
>OP here, the butcher at Publix cut the pork loin for me so I plan to soak it in salt and pepper, egg, and buttermilk overnight and fry em up tomorrow after work. Will report back.
Nice of him. Give it a little pound, even if you just smack it all over with the back of a pan, bottom of a can, or base of a heavy glass.

I've had this in restaurants which cater to snowbirds from your region (down in Florida), so I thought that I would google it. Turns out it might be "hoosier" style, and if this recipe is accurate the final breading is cracker crumbs, not breadcrumbs. A minor difference that might help you match your dish to your memory.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/hoosier-pork-tenderloin-sandwich-recipe.html
These guys are using cormeal:
http://www.porkbeinspired.com/recipes/midwestern-pork-tenderloin-sandwich/
I'll also tell you that if you use the slightly darker pork chop tha publix labels "sirloin chop" it fries up nicer and more porkier/browned flavors, and not as dry.
Maybe the local paper will inspire you when they list the top 10 sandwiches in town:
http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2016/05/23/where-indianas-best-breaded-tenderloin/84539268/

Let us know how it turned out tomorrow
>>
>>7766185
Yeah, I bought saltines while I was at the store.

It's just labeled "pork loin."
>>
>>7766207
You're good to go! Enjoy!
>>
>>7766138
That sounds really good, will monitor thread.

>>7763185
Memeing aside, this looks amazing. What are standard toppings for this sandwich? I see onion and mustard.
>>
>>7768007
As I understand it standard toppings are mayo, yellow mustard, and pickles. I always had mine plain as a lad, I'll be having spicy brown (non horseradish) mustard on mine when I make it.
>>
>>7768007
>>7769239

My impression was always that there were no standard toppings, and that you could usually get any combination of burger type toppings you wanted (lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, ketchup, mayo, mustard...).
>>
>>7769274
I'm sure most places would let you do that, but I know if my mom forgot to order plain I'd get mayo, mustard and pickles.
>>
>>7763397
Visited a couple years back. I'm an Asheville fag.

Not literally, but still.
>>
my grandma is from iowa. here is her recipe.

pound a pork cutlet thin as fuck. hammer with spikes on it. coat it in egg and crushed saltine crackers. fry in butter.

yellow mustard, pickles, onion

YES
>>
OP bumping. Will post pics soon.
>>
File: marinating.jpg (574 KB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
marinating.jpg
574 KB, 4320x2432
>>
File: post pounding.jpg (876 KB, 3456x1946) Image search: [Google]
post pounding.jpg
876 KB, 3456x1946
>>7771922
>>
File: 2nd stage of breading complete.jpg (862 KB, 3024x1702) Image search: [Google]
2nd stage of breading complete.jpg
862 KB, 3024x1702
>>7771946
>>
>>7769239
>>7769274
So toppings you'd find on a burger. Nice.

I'd have mine with lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard, and onions. Apparently Indiana is really the only place you can find this standard on menus? That's what a vid I saw on it said.
>>
File: frying 'er up.jpg (937 KB, 3024x1702) Image search: [Google]
frying 'er up.jpg
937 KB, 3024x1702
>>7771950

>>7771958
I imagine some german joints might have something similar? But yeah since leaving Indiana I've never seen it. I have heard that Idaho has them though but I've never been to Idaho because who goes to Idaho?
>>
>>7771946
Unfff yeah you pounded that meat good you dirty bitch
>>
File: final product.jpg (581 KB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
final product.jpg
581 KB, 4320x2432
>>7771968
Tbh I don't think I pounded enough. It was a bit undercooked, though it may have merely been a temperature issue. Regardless, this time I'm going to err on the side of a little darker breading in the hopes of better cooked innards.
>>
File: davy_jones_by_d17rulez[1].jpg (160 KB, 600x886) Image search: [Google]
davy_jones_by_d17rulez[1].jpg
160 KB, 600x886
>>7771971
That pork chop looks like a barnacle-encrusted ship, ye scallywag.

But yes, turn the heat down a little bit.
>>
>>7771996
The recipe I saw called for 360 F, during cooking it was around 250. Is that normal?
>>
>>7772000
Yeah, the temperature will drop if you put in a lot of food in proportion to the oil. Shallow frying might be a better idea for this.
>>
>>7772025
Was pic related up there too much oil? I'm using a lodge 10" skillet, not a huge pot or something.
>>
>>7772025
>>7772027
I'm making the other 2 sandwiches here soon, need an answer desu
>>
>>7768007
onion and mustard are traditional but yeah what >>7769274 said - a lot of places will just give you everything on the side, including a cup of mayo and a cup of cole slaw.
>>
Really the biggest variation you'll see is in what kind of breading it is. OP's pic looks like cornmeal which is kind of ugh; a lot of places do batter instead. My mom makes these at home (though not pounded as flat, in order to get six of them to fit in the electric skillet) with crushed up saltine crackers for the breading.
>>
>>7772027
I'm thinking not enough skillet.
More heated surface exposed to the oil would retain oil temp temp better with that chunk o pork.
>>
>>7772100
Well, that's the most skillet I got bro. I'm frying up the second one right now. The first got cooked to around 155 F right out of the oil. I think I'll dunk it back in for a bit once the second one is done. I want that white inside, not pink.
>>
>>7772027
>>7772049
Sorry, it's the opposite. When you put that much food into that much oil, the temperature drops too much. It's why deep fryers always have a big container to hold the hot oil with a relatively small basket. You'd need a bigger container of hot oil to fry it properly. You could let it fry until the oil comes back up to temp, but the outside will probably dry out and get hard.

Do a shallow fry instead, where the oil comes up halfway of the pork chop. Doing it like this means it won't drop as much since there's not as much going in at once, and it'll heat back up quicker.
>>
File: 2nd attempt.jpg (815 KB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
2nd attempt.jpg
815 KB, 4320x2432
>>7772190
I only had maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of oil I think. I took the two new ones out just now. Will post an AMR. (after meal report)
>>
>>7763185
Hoosier here

To make this you just pound a boneless pork chop thin then you dredge in eggwash then breadcrumbs and pan fry.

Season with s and p

dress your sandwich with mayo mustard lettuce and fresh tomato

I like to grill my buns in butter too

It's not rocket science and soaking in buttermilk wont do shit.

It's just a schnitzel on a bun for christsakes.
>>
AMR

Still not really satisfied. The flavor was significantly different than the sandwich I had as a kid. The inside was also not the texture I was shooting for. Will have to conduct further experiments in the future.

>>7772277
I'll try this next time instead of fucking about with buttermilk and crushing crackers.

>mayo
>lettuce
>tomato
>>
>>7772287
raw onion goes well too
>>
>>7772287
Maybe try it with a beer batter at some point. There's a lot of variation in "breaded shit" and none of us know where you had one as a kid.

It's also possible your taste buds have changed.
>>
>>7772897

Indiana diners don't use beer batter...
>>
>>7771950
iowa grandma man here:

smaller cracker crumbs.

way thinner than that, like 50% of that thickness. cut thinner slices of the tenderloin if the finished thing is too big for the pan you have. and i'm telling you, a spiked meat tenderizer will give it that tender texture. yours would be like biting through a porkchop.

lower heat as you already figured out.
>>
>>7773056
>grandma man

What did he mean by this?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.