[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone tried Lionfish? They started selling it at alot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: bad-lionfish.jpg (116 KB, 877x496) Image search: [Google]
bad-lionfish.jpg
116 KB, 877x496
Has anyone tried Lionfish? They started selling it at alot of wholefoods in my area, and im not a huge fish guy, but im intrigued to try it.
>>
So, if it's looking to the left, it's bad?
If it's looking to the right, it's good?
>>
>>7753742
I think they are saying a good lion fish is a dead lion fish

they are an invasive species that is basically obliterating life on coral reefs
>>
>>7753765
>In November 2010, for the first time the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary began licensing divers to kill lionfish inside the sanctuary in an attempt to eradicate the fish.

if you ever go scuba diving in the caribbean/south east US and want to help the environment, bring a gun with you and shoot as many lionfish as you can
>>
I grew up on the ocean and lion fish were the bane of my existence. Worse than running into a fucking shark. Never actually ate one though.
>>
>>7753805
What's wrong with them? I mean, what do they do?
>>
>>7753810

Their spikes have hardcore poison. I didn't know about them being invasive growing up, I just knew to stay the fuck away whenever I saw one, just hovering ominously there in the water.
>>
>>7753808
Venomous. Venom is injected, poison is ingested.
>>
>>7753810
They're invasive and ruin reefs mainly, but those long fins they have are actually venomous spines that can give you a painful sting.
>>
>>7753817
i have seen were divers, use scissors to cut the spines off well they are on the spears, so the divers don't get stuck by the spines latter.
>>
>>7753735
Bread, pan fry and make fish tacos.
>>
>>7753735
They're basically a trash fish. You can eat them but there a countless better options for fish. There's basically a campaign going on to get people interested in eating them since they're fucking up the environment. Just ignore them once they start trying to sell them in the store for an arm.leg/lb. Other than hopefully we do manage to get rid of them, though it's unlikely..
>>
>>7756031
It's a decent eating fish. If OP can get it cheap it's worth it.
>>
>>7756037
Sorry if I was unclear. Yes, you are right the meat isn't bad, but there isn't enough there for it be a decent eating fish hence why I call it a trash fish. I'm not saying don't eat the fish. I eat what's technically trash fish all the time since I fish in the Gulf when I go home for the holidays..
>>
>>7753735
It is an invasive species in Caribbean waters, I've been to a dozen of islands in the Caribbean and the dive masters more often than not bring those spears to skewer them.

I've had flayed lionfish with squeezed lime on the boat after diving, doesn't get much fresher than that. It's just your standard white fish, not a very fatty or firm type of meat.
>>
File: 3888887770_cf8873c892_b.jpg (242 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
3888887770_cf8873c892_b.jpg
242 KB, 1024x682
>>7756055

It's like eating pic related (Sea Robin). I catch them when going for flounder, they're decent eating but the work to get to the edible flesh is really not worth it.
>>
>>7756886
the tails are pretty the only thing worth while..

ever try the belly skin as fluke bait? good shit
>>
>>7753742
This is so obvious but it made my laugh wheezily.
>>
>>7753735
It sounded good, eating an invasive species, but I've also heard ciguatera poisoning is more common in lionfish than some other species
>>
So where are lionfish not considered an invasive species?

I'm originally from Hawaii and never heard anything about them ruining the reefs.
>>
>>7757110
The Caribbean.
>>
>>7757110
>you will never be Hawaiian.

Just shoot my useless britbong arse.
>>
>>7757257

Being born and raised in Hawaii isn't the same as being Hawaiian. I'm haole as fuck and grew up in the whitest neighborhood, just down the street from that surfer girl who got famous for getting her arm bit off by a shark (went to school with her older brothers, who were assholes, btw).

Then again, I did have a great childhood, and was in the ocean almost every day from a very young age...
>>
>>7757095
and other fish are full of mercury,
point is, this is fish you can probably buy guilt free.
>>
>>7757299
How's the meth over there?
>>
>>7753810
They have huge mouths and eat anything that fits. Combine that with their lack of predators and poisoned fins, and you have a nasty invasive species.
>>
File: Hawaii.gif (35 KB, 659x500) Image search: [Google]
Hawaii.gif
35 KB, 659x500
>>7757257
But anon, Hawaiians are British.
>>
it's shitfish, just like tilapia. You can maybe use it for soups and spicy dishes with lots of spice.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.