[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tofu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Any ways to cook tofu? I find it a real success when I manage to cook tofu that I actually enjoy eating, since usually it's my go-to item at any asian place.

Because I'm a lazy college student I press the tofu for a while, then stick it in the oven to get it crispy, then stir fry vegetables and add the tofu and whatever sauce I want to use such as teriyaki or orange sauce (bite me). Then I'll usually eat this over rice and it'll be good and edible, but does anyone know awesome ways to make tofu?
>>
Mapo dofu. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/real-deal-mapo-dofu-tofu-chinese-sichuan-recipe.html
>>
>tofu
>college student

Would this be a liberal arts college? You studying to be barista?

Just eat meat.
>>
I like the taste of asian grocery store tofu (which I've learned is different from organic vegan kinds)

I like to eat soft or silken chinese tofu with some sweetened grated ginger on top and some soy sauce/men tsuyu and chopped scallions

now that is a tasty snack
>>
>>7752465
Not OP, but around here tofu is considerably cheaper than meat. Tofu is like $2 for a pack, while meat ranges from $4-7 for the same amount. I was also eating it a lot as a student.
>>
File: onsen02.jpg (305 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
onsen02.jpg
305 KB, 700x700
Onsen Yudofu
>>
>>7752440
Extra or super firm tofu, soy sauce and rice vinegar, pepper and garlic if desired. You can microwave it or bake it. I used to bake it but then I saw my mom put tofu in the microwave and I was like wtf you can do that? And yes, you can. And it's good, real good. Also saves you from using oil that you'd probably need if you're baking it if you're chubby like me.

I also love to get some of those pre-made uncooked tortillas, microwave em a little then toss them over a low flame a little, toss in some sliced tofu prepared as mentioned, then some kale, some salt for the kale, and it's addictive as fuck. Could literally eat it every day, and have for prolonged periods of time.
>>
i wouldnt eat tofu. its packed with estrogens and shit.

people cite studies about the tofu bean being all healthy and shit and cite japan as a prime example of a country that eats a lot of tofu bean and is healthy for it. but tofu bean does not equal tofu. tofu is bleached in a large aluminum tub and so processed its basically garbage. Its like saying potatoes are healthy so eat a shitload of potato chips every day for health.

If you are vegetarian for health reasons you would be better of just eating a nice fatty steak once a weak and ignoring tofu.
>>
Has anyone here made their own tofu or other bean curd before? Where did you get the shit to make it? I'd like to try some day.
>>
>>7754167
>tofu bean
>>
>>7754167

>tastes pretty good
>lots of calcium, protein and iron (look at a nutritional label instead of pulling things out of your ass)
>way cheaper than meat

I'm not gonna say its the single greatest food, but for a college student it isn't a bad choice.
>>
>>7754186
>Has anyone here made their own tofu or other bean curd before?
Yes. You basically need soy beans, water, and a cheese cloth. It's not worth the effort and cleaning up when you can just buy tofu at any Asian market.
>>
>>7752440
Try broiling it a slightly longer distance away from the flame than you would it you were cooking meat, after using a marinade with a bit of sugar in it. You can get it really crispy that way.
>>
>>7752440

I get extra firm tofu, chop it into thin slices, then the slices into thin threads, then the threads into tiny cubes. Toss with a dry spice rub containing sugar and salt, and throw it in a frying pan with a bit of oil on medium-high heat. Stir it around the pan until the tofu turns a dark golden-brown, then remove from heat and strain out the extra oil on a paper towel. It turns out real crunchy and savory, I use it in salads or put it in tacos or whatever.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.