[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
soaking beans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: beansinwater.jpg (31 KB, 540x358) Image search: [Google]
beansinwater.jpg
31 KB, 540x358
I heard soaking beans can help them cook faster and reduce the gas they cause. I tried this and checked on them 24 hours later... the top layer of water was covered with a white foam and there were quite a few fruit flies. I dumped the pot into a sieve to let it drain and it smelled pretty bad.

a cursory google search tells me they may have started to ferment, but that seems strange to me since it was only 24 hours. Any idea what went wrong and how to properly soak them?
>>
You're supposed to boil them for like a minute then turn off heat and let them soak. You can cover them to keep flies out, but wtf, clean your kitchen.

I soak 8 hours.
>>
You're meant to cover with a towel.
>>
>>7727362
This. Also rinse your beans before soaking.
>>
The beans are perfectly fine to cook and eat.

I soak mine for 12 hours at room temp. I've read that soaking and cooking them in salty water helps them retain their shape and not burst. I'm going to try this in a couple days. Soaked beans only take 4 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker. Un-soaked take far longer, like 30 minutes.
>>
I soak mine overnight on cold water, then boil them in the pressure cooker for like half an hour. Perfect beans every time.
>>
Don't forget to sort them for rocks and derbies, You don't want to crack a tooth.

Get a white plate and some bowls and take a handful of beans and spread them out on the plate and search for rocks and bad looking beans, and discard them.
>>
>>7727354
They are fine , cook them up.
Next time soak for 6 to 8 hours then drain and let them sprout a little.
A little fermentation actually breaks down some of the complex starches anyway.
Also remember to overcook pinto beans and do NOT drain the juices when done.
Let them thicken into a wonderful broth
>>
>>7727368
Salt does help, but they won't be as tender, so it's a trade-off.

As for soaking, during the summer I don't bother and just throw them in my slow cooker overnight.
>>
>>7727382
>Salt does help, but they won't be as tender, so it's a trade-off.
This turns out not to be true. It was based on the idea that salty water keeps your skin from getting wrinkley but turns out beans are not effected
>>
>>7727354
Most food starts to ferment within 8 hours, it happens quicker with food that has lots of sugars in it like beans.

It's perfectly fine though, fermented food usually doesn't smell great but it tastes better and is healthier.

You get gas from beans because your digestive bacteria isn't used to them, if you start eating them more regularly it should help. I was eating beans every other day and had no gas at all, but when I stopped eating them so often it came back.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.