[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on craft beer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (379 KB, 1000x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
379 KB, 1000x567
Redpill me on craft beer
>>
>>7723943
it's like beer, but smaller
>>
It's the best beer. If you're at a bar and ask for a beer, make sure you specify that you want a craft beer. Otherwise the beer you get might not be a craft beer.
>>
>classic image.jpg
>>
If you like stouts you are a sugar beer swilling faggot that can't take anything remotely bitter.
>>
>>7724298

what if you like stouts and ipas
>>
>>7723943
the evil jew something something blah blah craft beer
>>
File: 1464243251661.jpg (48 KB, 470x475) Image search: [Google]
1464243251661.jpg
48 KB, 470x475
>>7723943
>>
> tfw you live in Germany and the only big difference between beer is wether it was made in a factory or privately brewed
>>
"Craft beer" is a marketing term that basically means "No Budweisers Club"

Rules for your brewery being craft:
- Isn't owned by whoever owns Anheuser-Busch
- Most popular beer can't be an American-style lager (like Budweiser)
- Maximum brewery capacity of "However much Anheuser-Busch makes, minus 1"
>>
>>7724398
Depends on the ipa
>>
>>7724742

>Maximum brewery capacity of "However much Anheuser-Busch makes, minus 1"

Yes, because there are dozens of breweries out there that *could* be producing and selling more than AB, but they don't because that would be selling out.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>7724742
There are well over 2500 registered breweries in the USA. That number may very well hit 3000 by now.

I believe the rule is yearly barrel output. If you hit 6,000,000 barrels you are considered a macro brew. Don't quote me, I'm going off memory from a year ago thread.

The ranking usually goes:

1. InBev (aka Budwieser)
2. Miller (Which InBev now owns anyway)
3. Coors
4. Sam Adams (Although they'll fight to the death that they are still a craft brewery, for tax reasons)
5. Yuengling probably
>>
>>7724756
No, my dumb point was that nobody can sell as much as AB & co, so practically everything else is just 'craft' by default. It has nothing to do with selling out.
>>
>>7724742
>- Maximum brewery capacity of "However much Anheuser-Busch makes, minus 1"
Actually its more like however much Sam Adams makes +1 barrel. They keep revising the number to allow Sam Adams to technically qualify
>>
>>7724793
America passed 4000 craft breweries last year.

Also, InBev doesn't own Miller. They are in the process of buying SABMiller, but in order for the sale to go through they are required to sell off Miller (they are mainly doing the deal for the acquisition of SAB's African breweries as Africa is the primary growing market for shit beer as America and Europe turn to craft beer)

MolsonCoors will be buying MIller, but MIller and Coors have already been in a jointventure for years so that probably won't result in any significant changes in the short term.
Also, you forgot Pabst, they don't actually own any breweries but they are number 4, most of their stuff is contract brewed at Miller facilities (though that sounds like it is going to change), Pabst owns a fuck ton of shitty regional brands across the country too
>>
>>7724835
I hadn't heard about hitting 4000. Almost seems ridiculous at that point desu.

And I did forget Pabst.
>>
>>7724849
There are still more wineries in America than breweries and people like beer and drink way more of it than wine, so there is plenty of room for further expansion. Bud/Miller/Coors/Pabst/Yuengling brands still are like 75% of the market
They are buying up a ton of craft breweries now though to try and combat their diminishing marketshare
>>
File: 1.jpg (141 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
141 KB, 580x388
I brewed beer at home for 10 years starting in the 80's when some parts of home brewing were still illegal. For example, getting help or yeast from a big brewery was next to impossible. I read about and drank a lot of beer (still do). That's some of my background.

I like some craft beers. However, just opening a microbrewery does not make you a good brewer. Adding more hops (oohh, so ballsy) doesn't necessarily make a better beer. It's really easy to fuck it up.

If you like hops, then start with the Rogue brand from Oregon. The brewer there is the ballsiest with hops and knows what he's doing. Anchor Steam Beer is good for a nice fuller flavor beer.

I'm really into old American lawnmower beers lately, Hamms, Schlitz, Coors in stubbies, maybe a PBR on tap. Find a micro beer that can do a lager and marry that son of a bitch. Off flavors can't be hidden in lighter tasting beers so that brewer as to know what she's doing.

Most craft beers are lousy. Again, the more of anything is better or a novel beer may sound good in the mind of the brewer and the label maker, but somebody has to drink it. And if you paid $6-7 per bottle it can piss you off.

On a final note: it's just beer. Taste test, see what you like and drink away.
>>
>>7724860
>And if you paid $6-7 per bottle it can piss you off.
Dude, most craft beer is sold in $7.5-10 six packs
>>
>>7723943
"Oh no, do tell me more about the hop essences and floral notes after your 10th beer"
>>
>>7724860
>Off flavors can't be hidden in lighter tasting beers so that brewer as to know what she's doing.
That doesn't make the beer good, you are confusing quality control with the actual quality of the product. Macros are using cheap ingredients and as little actual beer ingredients as possible, just because they have their process nailed down doesn't make up for what the product actually is
>>
>>7724872
>Dude, most craft beer is sold in $7.5-10 six packs
while that is true, there are some special beer that are 6-20 dollars a bottle, especially for larger bottles of sours
>>
>>7724885
Sour beer does cost much more to produce. But yeah some of those west coast ones get too expensive. Cascade Brewery just started selling near me and their prices are absurd
>>
Why are these discussions always so preachy and out of touch sounding?
>hey did you know there's a new kind of beer that's really strong and heavy? it's the new craft beer!
>the new craft beer is made by companies that aren't Budweiser, it's like how Coors is only found West of the rocky mountains, but now for every state! we're not the South!
>beer containing less than 27% alcohol is, by definition, made of shit quality ingredients, if you disagree with me you're not American and have literally never even heard of craft beer
>>
it's just beer. sometimes it smells of fruit, but still tastes like beer.

I wish craft beer nerds did not exist.
>>
I've gotten shit for ordering guinness because it's a "fake craft beer"

Fuck off I just like guinness
>>
>>7724906
I wish you didn't exist
>>
>>7724914
Non-belgian Euro beers are usually a bad decision because they are priced in the craft tier but do not have that quality. Though much better than American macros obviously, there are countless better stouts available at any grocery store
If Guinness were priced at the college beer tier it would be a pretty good decision
>>
File: BennyHill2_1129x254.jpg (16 KB, 551x254) Image search: [Google]
BennyHill2_1129x254.jpg
16 KB, 551x254
I brewed beer at home for 10 years starting in the 80's when some parts of home brewing were still illegal. For example, getting help or yeast from a big brewery was next to impossible. I read about and drank a lot of beer (still do). That's some of my background.

I like some craft beers. However, just opening a microbrewery does not make you a good brewer. Adding more hops (oohh, so ballsy) doesn't necessarily make a better beer. It's really easy to fuck it up.

If you like hops, then start with the Rogue brand from Oregon. The brewer there is the ballsiest with hops and knows what he's doing. Anchor Steam Beer is good for a nice fuller flavor beer.

I'm really into old American lawnmower beers lately, Hamms, Schlitz, Coors in stubbies, maybe a PBR on tap. Find a micro beer that can do a lager and marry that son of a bitch. Off flavors can't be hidden in lighter tasting beers so that brewer as to know what she's doing.

Most craft beers are lousy. Again, the more of anything is better or a novel beer may sound good in the mind of the brewer and the label maker, but somebody has to drink it. And if you paid $6-7 per bottle it can piss you off.

On a final note: it's just beer. Taste test, see what you like and drink away. If you're looking for an identity, then buy a Batman costume.
>>
>>7724957
It sounds like your definition of "quality" is "as much sugar and alcohol as humanly possible"

I know Guinness is sometimes misrepresented as a strong beer but it's kind of stupid to take that misconception as a mark against it

It's ironic because you'll defend left hand nitro like it's your own mother, even though it's a blatant attempt to sell "Guinness for neckbeards who are too insecure to order an actual Guinness"
>>
>>7725016
Sound like you just jumped to a whole bunch of arbitrary conclusions
>>
>>7725020
Nope, you're just playing [sic] dumb
>>
>>7725027
Guinness is a cheap beer at a premium price, therefore a bad decision as most imported beers are
>>
>>7725031
Now you're just repeating yourself
>>
>>7725034
well you seemed to be confused, so I was trying to simplify it for you.
If you are in Ireland its a decent decision for the price, but if you are in America there are many many other better stouts for a similar cost
Guinness is ok though, probably the best of the shitty macro beers quality and taste wise, just overpriced in import markets
>>
>>7725016
I've never had left hand nitro but I find it hard to believe it could be as rubbish as Guinness. I can see how the style of Guinness could work, but a lot of the time there's something better on tap that I'd get instead.
>>
>>7725054
>if you don't share my opinions you must be confused and/or a foreign person
Are you by any chance from the midwest?
>>
>>7725077
I wasn't saying you are a foreign person, just saying it is more reasonably priced relative to its alternatives in other markets, when I was in Ireland I drank a bunch of it, but in America the price point is way higher than other beer of its quality tier
>>
>>7725101
More circular reasoning

Guinness and left hand milk stout are fairly similar in price, taste similar, and are, in fact, similar

You are ok with one and not the other because you judge beer by its marketing and its consumers, not by any empirical measure of "quality", a concept that gives you great difficulty when you're unable to appeal to differences between a particular beer and bud light
>>
>>7725119
No they aren't. They are completely different styles of stout.
Also, why are you obsessed with Left Hand? Not sure why you are trying to shoehorn one mediocre stout from some random colorado brewery into the discussion
>>
>>7725119
Comparing Guinness to Left Hand Milk Stout is like comparing Bud Light to Sierra Nevada PA. Left hand is nearly 50% stronger and a milk stout which is pretty much the opposite side of the spectrum from dry Irish stout. You are clearly out of your element
>>
>>7725119
Please keep in mind that I am 'OK' with Guinness, just saying its not the best decision if you are living in America. It surely is an OK beer though
>>
>>7725139
As opposed to the different kinds of stout you were previously arguing in favor of?

Just because you can't admit you have no argument doesn't make me obsessed, but I can see you're taking this personally so I'll drop it if you prefer. I just wanted you to define "quality" in some terms other than woo-woo "I don't like the structure of the holding company" bullshit, or non-arguments like "it's bad because I say it is"
>>
>>7725152
So quality= ABV ?

That's what I said before, but you said I was confused

BTW, ABV aside, bars and blogs everywhere are pushing LHMS as an "upgrade" from Guinness, so looks like you're the one out of your element
>>
>>7725173
>So quality= ABV ?
No one said that. But why you have a weak beer like Guinness or Bud Light where they clearly cut corners to keep the price down by skimping on the malt bill it will result in deflated ABVs. Please keep in mind that the amount of grain used in a beer is a giant portion of the cost, so most cheap macros try to minimize this, while quality brewers are not looking to cut these corners and this results in beers with more alcohol as they style should be
LHMS is clearly an upgrade, so I am not sure what you are upset about.
>>
>>7724906
Hello, AB shill.
>>
>>7725204
Now we're getting somewhere

If you need alcohol that badly you can just add a shot of vodka to your brew

Some people want to have a beer with lunch without being impaired, and the existence of such beers doesn't make them low quality
>>
>>7723943

I don't drink and eat, it's bad for digestion

My favourites are Heinken or Chang I just dont giva fuck yo
>>
>>7723943

is craft beer threads the latest /ck/ shit-spam posting trend? Can I join?

craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer craftbeer
>>
>>7725223
Are you a 100lb girl?
Who the fuck is impaired by drinking 1 left hand at lunch?
>>
>>7725288
Are you a fucking transvestite? I pound a liter of gin before I even roll out of bed. Anyone who has his life under control is a pussy and also a Muslim
>>
>>7724914
Guinness tastes like shit but is priced the same as much better beer. When I see people drink Guinness I just assume they want everyone to know they're Irish sort of.
Try left hand nitro milk stout.
>>
>>7725306
Dude, even if you had never drank in your life, one average strength beer would not impair you if you are a normal sized adult male.

But if you are just drinking Guinness instead of tastier options just because you are afraid of consuming more alcohol you should have just lead with that rather than try to convince us it was for "quality reasons"
>>
>>7725323
Yes, I get it, you can totally handle your drinks

Try to accept that while ABV is a factor when deciding what to drink, for people who aren't suffering from crippling alcoholism, it's not THE factor
>>
>>7725353

>i drink beer and don't intend to get a buzz
>i am really sophisticated
>if you enjoy getting a buzz from a drink intended to inebriate you then you are degenerate
>>
>>7725353
>for people who aren't suffering from crippling alcoholism, it's not THE factor
You literally just said that it is the reason you buy light macro beer over tastier regular strength beer, because you specifically are worried about becoming intoxicated
>>
>>7723960
Are you being obtuse?
>>7724298
>he thinks stouts is a new invention.
You sad fucker.
>>7724742
So youre talking put of your ass. Gotcha.
>>
>>7724298

What's with this mentality of "if you like this you then you hate this and are a fag?"

I like stouts but I also like IPAs so am I still a faggot? No. I like trannies but I also like women so am I a faggot? Definitely not.
>>
>>7725391
most people who like good beer like both stout and IPA
>>
>>7725371
>literally
You should consult a dictionary before trying out new words, anon

What I gave you was a counterexample to your claim that higher ABV is always, for everyone, in all situations, the main reason for picking one beer over another
>>
>>7725435
Yeah, no one said that
>>
>>7725439
Oh ok. Sorry I misunderstood you before

So let's go back to my earlier question: what do you mean by 'quality'?
>>
>>7725449
A recipe that doesn't just attempt to cut corners with raw materials to create a cheap to produce product. Its favoring taste over manufacturing costs. Craft breweries can do this because thats their whole market niche, macro brewers cannot
>>
>>7723943
I'm just starting to into beer. Can someone tell me where this elitist mentality comes from that all "good" beers must be way over-the-top hoppy, and no malty or less bitter beer can be respected?

My favorite beers I've tried so far have been stouts and bocks. Bock has been brewed for hundreds and hundreds of years, but most craft beer enthusiasts today will never call any bock a good beer, and they will shit all over you for liking one.
>>
>>7726217
>Can someone tell me where this elitist mentality comes from that all "good" beers must be way over-the-top hoppy
Made up in the minds of people on 4chan

There is an incredible variety of craft beer, including all sorts of malt forward beers
>>
File: hops.jpg (332 KB, 600x792) Image search: [Google]
hops.jpg
332 KB, 600x792
>>7726234
I know it's not just 4chan. Ever read the reviews of a maltier, less hoppy beer on sites like BeerAdvocate or RateBeer?

And I admit I haven't talked to that many craft beer enthusiasts in person, but the few I have are always drinking some double IPA or some fucking thing, and make fun of you if you drink anything else.
>>
>>7726325
A lot of people like IPA, it is the most popular segment of craft beer sales-wise, but the craft beer market is incredibly diverse, IPAs still only makes up less than 1/3 of craft beer.
I have real a hard time imagining some craft beer guy making fun of you for ordering some local dopplebock or barleywine or stout for it not being hoppy enough. Hell most of the top rated beers are stouts
>>
I used to think the American hatred of IPA was exaggerated but today I'm joining the club. I just reviewed two session IPAs (I take tasting notes of all new beers I try for personal reference) and I was bored out of my skull. In my country beer over 4.7% ABV can't be sold in ordinary stores but has to be sold in specialized liquor stores. What this means in practice is that regular stores are filled with endless amounts of session IPAs.
Seriously fuck those raisin grape and citrus notes and watery session bodies. I don't want to taste one again for at least three months. Give me Belgians, weizens ,pilsners, sours and the occasional stout.
>>
>>7726402
Session IPA is just Pale Ale with a new marketing buzzterm, few of them are characteristic of IPA, most are watery and not that good, though some are pretty good

But definitely don't just IPA on a couple session IPAs you have tried
>>
>>7726325

most of the next wave hipsters have already moved on from IPA to sours (even more of a mouth rape)

get with the times gramps
>>
>>7726418
I have had non-session IPAs of course. Both American and English styles. I admit they're way better. But naturally, because of alcohol policy here, I come in contact with an abnormal amount of session-IPAs so there's where my feelings naturally stems from.
>>
>>7726434
yeah, that is quite unfortunate, what country is that?
>>
>>7726450
Finland.
>>
>>7726472
are liquor stores with better beer rare?
>>
>>7725408
what about me? I don't like the intense hoppiness of ipa nor do I like fagged up stouts with chocolate shit in them.
>>
I wish there was an Armond White of beer reviews that could lay waste to these craft beer hipsters.
>>
>>7726502
If you don't like IPA or stout, you probably just don't like beer. Thats ok though, do whatever you want as long as you enjoy it
>>
>>7726528
Where the fuck do you live that craft beer is remotely hipster? 15 years ago?
>>
>>7726325
Most people who feel the need to overqualify their drinking habits with cringe inducing phrases like"the real craft beer" are, in their heads, preoccupied with the belief that the prevailing standard is cheap stuff like bud light and that their image will be instantly associated with high class discriminating tastes if they go out of their way to make sure no one thinks they're a pleb. Pilsners and lagers are forever tainted by association, so it's very important to them that they denounce such styles as horse piss.
>>
>>7726535
buuuut that's bullshit.
I love amber and red ales and that shit.
just not the two extremes people stroke themselves to becuz craft beer.
that's like saying because someone doesn't enjoy jazz or EDM that they don't enjoy music.
>>
>>7726582
Ok, thats cool. Note that the original claim is most. An anecdote about one guy not fitting the mold doesn't suggest the original claim is any less true
>>
>>7726564
do you think maybe that need to feel different is why so many brands come out of the woodwork that tastes like absolute shit yet have staying power?
like Rogue brewers comes to mind with their fucking lemon cruller beer.
>>
>>7725391
you're probably a faggot considering they're literally dudes with tits
>>
File: pivo.png (333 KB, 449x448) Image search: [Google]
pivo.png
333 KB, 449x448
Matuška
>>
>>7726594
Definitely

There's less incentive to bother with light, balanced traditional style beer like the predominant central European styles, because they don't attract attention

We're basically in the beer version of what Aussie wine went through in the early 2000s

There's a fringe movement towards balance but they get shouted down by the kind of people who measure a beer's inherent merits against an inversion of the set of properties assigned to their benchmark, bud light
>>
>>7726594
>that tastes like absolute shit yet have staying power
You mean macro american and euro beer?
>>
>>7726750
>There's less incentive to bother with light, balanced traditional style beer like the predominant central European styles, because they don't attract attention
Or maybe because those are super easy to find anywhere so there is little point to making another one, might as well try something interesting or innovative.

Most people have tried enough pale lagers by the time they are 18 to last a lifetime
>>
>>7726839
That's kind of the same thing though

Youngsters associate bud light with lager and lagers with bud light

So brand conscious twenty something consumers are going to seek extremes and ignore anything else
>>
>>7726887
>Youngsters associate bud light with lager and lagers with bud light
For good reason, it is the top selling lager in the world.
Fairly typical of the style except even more subtle and lower ABV, You are not gonna find any Macro style lager that is better than just ok
>>
>>7726922
>You're not gonna find any Macro style lager that is better than just ok
Not sure if you are expecting me to contradict you here or what

Notice how you're doing that thing now, that I described up here >>7726564

Tilting against windmills, as the Spaniards would say
>>
>>7726703
I prefer clock tbqh fám.
>>
>>7726949
please post one if you disagree rather than spout memes
>>
>>7726959
Post what? A meme?
>if you disagree
Have I given you some indication that would lead a reasonable person to conclude I think macro lagers are anything better than ok? Have I even made it sound like they're even as good as that?

Your are trying to start an argument with a person who only exists in your head. Precisely what I was talking about earlier.
>>
>>7726970
A macro style lager that you consider great
>>
>>7726978
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound right now?
>>
>>7725016
I'm upset by this post.

Left Hand Nitro is nothing like Guiness and is fucking amazing.
>>
>>7725379
>stouts and porters
>not literal working class trash
give the poor shit beer while all the rich (and monks who made it) drank sour beers
>>
>>7727052
>sours.
It's becoming the new ipa
>>
>>7727052
all beer was sour back then.
People didn't learn how to sanitize until relatively recently
>>
>>7727055
>becoming
nah buddy, the IPA trend came and died.

It went IPA --> sours --> stouts/porters --> barrel aged shit

sours never really took off, they might be again now, but those aren't 'sours'

They're beer with a hint of tartness, less so than a lemon or lime.

I've seen someone call a saison sour just because it didn't taste of pure hops and malt.
>>
>>7727059
>he thinks that's how sour beer works
not all bacteria makes it sour, just funky, and it usually wasn't fermented long enough for it to get really sour.

and more so to the point, THAT"S WHAT HOPS WERE FOR. They fuck with most bacteria suppressing it's growth. That's why it became an integral part of beer, and not pine leaves or mint or some other flavoring herb like that.
>>
>>7727067
Sours are on the rise my friend. I work for a total wine and we've been getting a lot more sours compared to last year.
>>
>>7727073
Funky is other yeast strains besides saccharomyces cerevisiae, sour is bacteria
Regardless, until relatively recently we did not understand how to control this and all beer was to some extent sour and funky

But very true with the hops comment, the tradition of using hops in beer was specifically to retard bacterial growth, though it wasn't enough to prevent it
>>
File: 1460144428672.jpg (110 KB, 582x680) Image search: [Google]
1460144428672.jpg
110 KB, 582x680
>>7727067
>I've seen someone call a saison sour
Saison in modern craft parlance is pretty much "we fucked up this batch but we made too much to just toss it so we have to market it somehow", so it's entirely possible that person had a sour "saison".

>>7727043
It's not a huge insult to be compared to Guinness, anon. Once you get your fedora surgically removed from your tastebuds maybe you'll come to understand that.
>>
>>7727079
>Funky is other yeast strains besides saccharomyces cerevisiae
Not even that, half the time. Some strains of brewers yeast will chuck out plenty of funk when brewing, and even the most neutral of strains will start doing some weird shit if you let it ferment much above 25 degrees.
>>
>>7727076
That's good to hear, most will be shit and poorly balanced with the bitterness of hops. A few good ones hopefully, there already are a bunch in new england, but you still have to search for them.
>>
>>7727111
It's like when any style comes in to be the popular one. A lot will just make something to get it out and not really push to much it seems. But it's also a blessing because sometimes it might be better than expected.
>>
>>7727067
saisons are exploding right now didn't used to be able to see them at many bars
>>
>>7724849
The best way to think about it is that in 1873 we had the previous highest number of breweries. And just now, ~90 years after the end of prohibition we've reached that number again, but how much has our population multiplied?

And for doubters about towns supporting multiple breweries ~~ even small towns can support like 1-2 pizzerias or restaurants in generals. Selling pints at 7 dollars a glass and you can make back your money easily
>>
>>7727129
That's should be good, but I bet people just view them as

>year round pumpkin ales

or at least that's how people will be making them

I've met and know a bunch of brewers/owners of small craft breweries and I fucking hate most of them. They either play it way too fucking safe and more like a shitty line cook at friendlys than an actually trained cook [spoiler]and don't get me fucking started on "trained" brewers[/spoiler] or they just make beer that's worse or maybe onpar with your average homebrew. They just happened to have the money at the right time to start a brewery. That's pretty much all you've needed for the last 5 years.

>>7727119
Still waiting on black IPAs to come into style to a higher degree. If I could have a good selection of sours, black ipas, and a few belgian whites or triples i'd be fucking set
>>
>>7727130
yeah, we aren't even fucking close to the end of the craft beer boom

It will surely slow for the largest of craft brewers as more small breweries try and expand to regional ones, but we are nowhere close to slowing down when it comes to small craft breweries
>>
>>7727156
what?
What does saison possibly have to do with pumpkin ales?
>>
>>7727168
I meant more of just random spices thrown in to try and hide any other flavors, because that's like 80% of the saisons i see.

Most pumpkin ales don't even have noticeable pumpkin flavors in them, just that fucking spice mix
>>
>>7727187
I don't know where you are but I've only seen a couple of saisons out of many that weren't played straight.
>>
>>7727196
>he doesn't live in memebeer-ville

where is this heaven?
>>
>>7727187
Well yeah, the pumpkin spice flavor goes far beyond the flavor of actual pumpkin, but thats not just a beer thing, its just that pumpkin spice is a flavor people like so it finds itself in everything in the fall

I really don't see the connection to saison though, they are spicy in the estery yeast sense, but I don't see it as connected
>>
>>7727210
What i'm saying is a lot of saisons from shitty "craft" breweries I see use actual spices instead of just getting it from the yeast, because they have like 1-2 types of yeast that they use.
>>
>>7727201
Shitpostistan
>>
"Craft beer" describes the brewery, not the beer.

I can't believe this shit is raging on, so I'll repeat for emphasis: Craft Beer describes the brewery, NOT THE BEER.
>>
It's usually a better beer than macro brews and are usually more expensive. Of course, expensive garbage exists, and plenty of people will succumb to the whole thing where you give people the exact same wine twice, telling them it's French the first time and Texan the second, and they'll tell you the first one was better every time.

Is it nice to go to a brewpub with my buddies on the weekend and enjoy some nice, varied beers alongside some loaded fries? Yes. Becoming a huge snob about it is bullshit though. Sure, there's some particularly terrible mass-produced beers in my country that I refuse to drink, but plenty of other mass produced beers I'll happily down on just about any occasion it's offered.
>>
>>7724249
Also make sure to tip your fedora at the 'tender

But don't actually tip him, especially if it's not a him but a her. Female bartenders are literally the same as a prostitute.
>>
>>7724860
Shlitz is god tier for cheapies now that they went back to the old formula, I can drink those all day.
>>
>>7725288
Asian flush, and lightweights are a thing anon.

Any amount of alcohol will make me cherry red, even if it's a sip of beer.

I also have a friend who's 160, works out a lot, eats a lot, and gets tipsy/giggly after 1.5 beers.
>>
>>7727403
Oh no, not asian flush guy again
>>
>>7727403
Stfu weeb, everyone knows Asians only exist in anime
>>
>>7727403

That's genetic, 23&me can tell if you'll get that or not
>>
>>7726376
Haven't had a doppelbock yet, but I want to.

>>7726419
I live out in ass fuck nowhere, the hipsters out here are usually a little late to catch up.
>>
>>7727424
>>7727429

What? I've never even seen /ck/, I just saw this on the front page and took a quick peek.
>>
File: 1303731502872.png (9 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1303731502872.png
9 KB, 429x410
>Brew exclusively IPAs and lagers
>Mfw this thread
>>
>>7726488
No, but the selection is usually quite limited and they tend to not renew it with new brands too often. This is the case especially in smaller towns. Also the prices is not something to envy because the alcohol tax in Finland is very high. Add to that import costs and the products end up quite pricey if you want something with taste. But the prices/taxes are another story.

Things are about to get slightly better because the law is getting reformed and ordinary stores will then be allowed to carry beers with an abv of maximum 5.5%. But those who think it'll get cheaper because of this about to get a bad surprise. Taxes will remain the same and since those ordinary stores are commercial and not state owned, the vendor must make some profit too... it will get more expensive.
>>
>>7723943
Why can't the mods ban alcohol threads...it's pretty obvious that about 90% of /ck/ are underage idiots that can't even buy alcohol, so what's the point?
>>
>>7729049
Because another 7% are in the 21 to 29 group and are here to teach us about the newfangled craft beer (if you don't say "craft" it means you think Stella is fancy)
>>
>>7729049
>I don't like something
> I need it banned

Why do retards do this? I absolutely hate the pizza threads about New York pizza being compared to Chicago pizza or whatever but I don't go crying to the mods to get them banned. I just ignore them. If people wants do discuss beer, let them and just ignore the threads.
>>
>>7729310
lol, why does craft beer make you so mad?
>>
File: pizzza.jpg (53 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
pizzza.jpg
53 KB, 360x360
>>7729350
>I just ignore them.

how can you ignore delicious 'go style 'za?

you my friend are in denial
>>
>>7729394
All the hops give me diarrhea. Plus my mother was drunk on IPA when she decided to have my foreskin removed as a baby.
>>
>>7729425
>All the hops give me diarrhea
Is this a thing?
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.