[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So lately I've been grilling my chicken breasts to be rare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: chicken-breast.jpg (54 KB, 350x173) Image search: [Google]
chicken-breast.jpg
54 KB, 350x173
So lately I've been grilling my chicken breasts to be rare on the inside. i can't be dealing with cooked/overcooked chicken. I don't enjoy it. But anytime i mention it to someone if the topic gets brought up they keep telling me I will get salmonella. I am still searing the outside killing all the bacteria, how is this any different from say grilling a steak. I know with things like ground beef you need to cook it all the way through since bacteria mixed into it as it's being ground, but this is a chicken breast. How is this shit any different.
>>
Because the chicken has caught the salmonella bacterium as opposed to having it only on the skin / outside layer in transit.
>>
>>7714935
Chicken flesh isn't as dense as beef, so even when it's not ground up, salmonella can get deep enough into the meat where it won't get killed as easily. At the end of the day though, it's your chicken and you can prepare it however you like, just please thoroughly cook any chicken your guests eat, because you're putting them at risk of severe lava ass, and even death if they're weak
>>
>>7714935
The entire chicken can be dangerous to eat.
It depends on the bacteria but ground beef, ground chicken, and ground pork generally aren't safe either because they are made from several potentially dangerous animals
>>
>>7714935
It's better and safer at medium.
>>
>>7714935
I'm not a qualified home economist, but I have never had a problem with organic vegetarian fed, free range chicken breasts.

If you pay a little extra, you can cook more nuanced than poor people.
>>
>>7714935
>rare chicken

Epic meme.
>>
Salmonella aside, raw chicken is disgusting.

Just try to cook it just to the point where it becomes white but it is still tender.
>>
>>7714935
>omnivores
Disgusting
>>
File: 95tdaDf.jpg (178 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
95tdaDf.jpg
178 KB, 600x709
>>7714935

>cooking a whole chicken breast
>not butterflying it to make cooking easy
>>
>>7717731
yeah this. either butterfly it or pound it so it's all the same thickness. how is that hard? it takes like...6 minutes maybe to cook it perfectly if you do that.
>>
>>7714935
>this any different from say grilling a steak

It's not any different. But culturally we aren't used to eating raw/rare chicken, whereas we do enjoy rare beef. Thus for some silly reason people tend to believe that ZOMG you have to cook chicken fully while you don't have to do that with beef. From a scientific perspective there's zero difference, and people invent all kinds of bullshit (that you see in this thread) to explain why there is a supposed difference.

Check out Modernist Cuisine, the section of food safety near the end of the first volume. This exact topic is discussed at length with plenty of citations.
>>
>>7715177

raw western chicken is disgusting. superior raw japanese chicken is delicious due to their steel coops being cleaned 1000 times.
>>
>>7716400
vegans are fucking slaying it
>>
>how is this shit any different
Basically this right here:

>>7714974
>>7714950

That said, one of two things will happen. Either you'll keep doing this and never get sick, which is fine. Or you'll get sick and never dream of doing it again, which is also fine. Ain't gonna kill you either way.
>>
>>7714935
>not knowing how to cook chicken to well done without making it dry.
>>
>>7714935
What matters is that the internal temp reaches safe level. Ive had chicken pinkish in the middle, but well over 200°. Delicious.
>>
File: maximum hipster.png (263 KB, 523x372) Image search: [Google]
maximum hipster.png
263 KB, 523x372
>>7715058
Organic vegetarian fed, free range chicken breasts are just as at risk as the rest of chicken breasts. Just because your chicken was happy doesn't mean it wasn't a bacteria factory.
>>
If I slaughter a chicken can I eat the raw meat immediately and not get sick?
>>
>>7718828
Only one way to find out!

On the real, if it's a healthy chicken that iisn't carrying a lot of bacteria, then you probably could if you didn't swallow too much blood.
>>
>>7718809

If anything sometimes they're more at risk because free range chickens on organic farms get into more shit that the farmers can't necessarily control and can pick up diseases from other animals.
>>
Assuming the standards of upkeep, slaughter, and storage are all on the same level. No one type of meat has any more or less risk of contamination. We've just been conditioned to praise a good rare steak and turn away from anything less than well done chicken.
>>
Rare anything is ridiculous. What kind of person wants food that someone stopped cooking halfway through?
>>
>>7718983

That is a lot to assume. Factory farmed chickens live in their own feces.
>>
>>7717851
It took me about 6 breasts to start getting a feel for it. It ain't too hard.
>>
>>7720735
Factory farmed meat in general is awful.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.