[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I would like to cook a fun dinner for 7 people (friends and family).
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Jesse-1.jpg (414 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Jesse-1.jpg
414 KB, 1600x1200
I would like to cook a fun dinner for 7 people (friends and family). I was thinking chicken parmesan using mozzarella cheese and a premium tomato sauce. I was also considering a chicken and steak barbecue but I thought it would be too boring. Do you guys have any ideas on how to make the barbecue more fun or any other good ideas for a fun dinner for 7? Money is not an issue. Thanks.

pic unrelated. I like dogs.
>>
>>7712355
Are you going to use a canned "premium" sauce?
>>
>>7712355
>steak
>barbecue
sorry, but that sounds absolutely awful. steak cuts are much better suited to quick, high cooking like with a grill, pan, or broiler, rather than the low and slow method used in barbecue. If you barbecue a steak, you're just gonna be halfway between steak and jerky, and it won't be good. Barbecue chicken is good, but you have to make sure you don't add too much smoke.
>>
>>7712359
my mom will probably buy some expensive jarred sauce. We are not going to make our own but we won't be using Ragu etc.

>>7712366
the steaks would go on the grill, but I think they would be too bland on their own.
>>
>>7712376
This all sounds horrible, and I can't help you. Good luck trashyAnon.
>>
>>7712376
If you planned on grilling, why did you say you would barbecue them? They're basically opposite styles of cooking.
>>
>>7712376
bro just make an easy marinara, so much better for a lower price.

you kinda need to decide if you want to do a bbq or a chicken parm/italian thing
ill help but you gotta decide
>>
>>7712379
I think he means 'barbecue' as in 'cooked out of doors' and not its literal meaning.

>>7712355
I do this 'Asian' style barbecue ribs thing that are pretty popular.

It's really simple, too, but depending on where in the world you live, you might have trouble finding one of the ingredients: hoisin sauce.
The recipe is equal parts, by volume, hoisin, freshly grated garlic, freshly grated young ginger and chili sauce (I like Cap Jempol brand, but any one that's about the consistency of ketchup should do nicely). Mix everything together and salt to taste then use it to glaze ribs as they cook. If you don't eat pork, chicken wings are a good substitute.

Another dinner idea could be green lasagne. The sauce is green, not the pasta. To make it, get 800g of mature spinach (baby spinach is relatively tasteless in comparison to 'cooking spinach'), 1 medium/medium-small onion, 4-6 cloves of garlic, 80ml (yes, 80ml) of olive oil and 1-1½ cups of wine.
Blanch and wash the spinach, squeeze of all excess liquid, chop up and put into a blender.
Add just enough water as sufficient for processing and remove.
Chop onion and mince garlic and place both, along with oil, into a pan; salt generously and set to high heat.
Sauté a bit and, when fragrant, add a third of the wine and reduce back out.
Sauté a bit and, when starting to blond, add half the remaining wine and reduce back out.
Sauté a bit and, when starting to brown, add all the remaining wine and reduce back out.
Top with spinach purée, stir through and bring to the boil.
Allow to cook and reduce down until quite thick, then salt to taste.

To make the lasagne, layer pasta, sauce, pulled garlic chicken thighs (ask for recipe) and smoked scamorza or provola and bake as you would normal lasagne.
It's familiar enough that people would try it, but off the beaten track enough to be novel and fun.
Serve with tomato salad for after.
>>
In my family grilling = barbecue lol. I've made chicken parm for many people before using mozzarella and it was a hit. For that dinner we served it on whole wheat penne. It tasted great but I still think there was room to make it more fun/festive.
>>
>>7712422
Holy crap. Thank you, that's a super useful post!
>>
>>7712423
>grilling = barbecue
So to you, high heat means low heat, and short time equals long time? You're a fucking retard, dude.
>>
>>7712507

Are you the same anon who was throwing a hissy fit when someone started a thread asking how you define a bbq party and someone suggested that for many people "going to a bbq" means going to a party where food is going to be grilled?

You seem really butthurt, anon.
>>
>>7712514
No but I chuckled.
>>
>>7712514
No, I'm not. He's right, though. BBQ is low and slow with smoke, that's it.
>>
You want something fun?
Teriyaki shiskabobs and bacon wrapped dodger dogs. Make some potato salad, corn on the cob, a nice salad.
>>
I think the Chicken Parmesan meal sounds fun. Pasta is fun to eat, and chicken parmesan in particular is fucking delicious. Steak and Chicken sounds sweet too. Personally I love a good steak the best, but somehow it just seems like more of a date night or alone time meal to me.

When I made burritos for a party my guests had a lot of fun. I made homemade tortillas, beef, rice, refried beans, guac. I bought salsa, greek yogurt, cilantro, and cheese. A lot of it you can just buy, but the right stuff just makes incredible flavor. The guests really liked making their own plate. Serve with margaritas for extra fun.

My second most fun party meal was hugely over the top. We had a lamb roast + BBQed shishliki, roasted veg, greek salad, mashed taters, pita and tzatziki, lemon rice soup, anf there were a few more things I forget... and then we had tiramisu AND panna cotta for dessert. It was three of us in the kitchen making christmas dinner. It was incredible. Took all day. I think the guests liked it because 1. it came out in courses so it was like being at a crazy good restaurant 2. it was all crazy good. Three good chefs in the kitchen who get along is magic.

Good luck with your meal! let us know how it goes
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.