[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Fmr. McDonald's USA CEO: $35K Robots Cheaper Than Hiring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: gyro-close.jpg (286 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
gyro-close.jpg
286 KB, 1500x1000
>Fmr. McDonald's USA CEO: $35K Robots Cheaper Than Hiring at $15 Per Hour

What now burger flipper?
>>
its almost as if /pol/ is always right
>>
As long as my burger is cheap I don't give a fuck who or what serves it
>>
why did you post a gyro
>>
I'm a fortunate neet, and I only welcome robots as workers everywhere
>>
They don't deserve anywhere near 15.00/hr. At least 75% of the time, if I go to a fast food place, they fuck up my order. Usually it's the condiments. I'm allergic to mayo so I order shit with no mayo or no sauce if it's mayo-based. Half the time, without fail, I get fucking mayo and can't eat it,

How fucking hard is it to understand "don't put fucking mayo on my burger, I can't eat it"? A trained monkey could literally do their job. There's a reason you're flipping burgers, Ricardo, and it ain't because you're a genius. You deserve 8.50 and hour.
>>
good thing berncuck isn't going to win presidency so the argument is moot
>>
>>7711036
>You deserve 8.50 and hour.
>and hour

Oh, the irony.
>>
>>7711040
Daaaamn you really fuckin rekt him hard
>>
File: dose.gif (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
dose.gif
8 KB, 200x200
R2D2 isn't going to scratch his gonorrhea-infested crotch and spit in my food for being white like Jamal will, so by all means
>>
>>7711045
Yeah, he fucking scorched me. Only retards like me have autocorrect on their phones! What a dumb sack of shit I am!
>>
I'm all for it. Cheaper labor, more accurate laborers, cheaper upkeep, no need for breaks, no unions to deal with, no need to offer health insurance, dental plans, it's a huge savings for the company.
>>
>>7711052
>Calls people stupid
>Gets called out on being stupid
>Gets butthurt about it

I fucking love it.
>>
>>7711061
not even that guy, but you're probably the biggest faggot posting on this board right now.
>>
>>7711023
program the robots to make me some gyros
>>
>>7711023
If a robo chef is designed that can make fast food for $35k, that's just the start.

10 years later, it'll be $3.5k. 10 years after that it'll be $350.

Everyone will have one in their kitchen. You won't go to McD's for anything, because they will be out of business. You'll just throw ingredients at your robo chef (or it'll order them automatically from the robo grocer) and it'll make that big mac for you, fresh, from scratch.

You gotta think a bit bigger than just burger flippers out of a job, this is a new era.
>>
As technology changes, new jobs are created and others are made obsolete.

As far as the companies are concerned, they're completely within their right to change to an objectively better system.

I'd probably be more upset about it if I worked in fast food, but those protesting 15/hr must have thought that companies would do SOMETHING to keep their profit margins?
>>
I don't really care
since with robots or not
they're still gonna be pricey
>>
File: download.png (3 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3 KB, 259x194
>>7711077
You wouldn't download a big mac

just imagine torrenting the big mac recipe/programming to an SD card and sticking it in your robochef's ass
>>
>>7711057
>more accurate laborers
95% of the time I eat out something gets fucked. all for taking retardation out of the workplace.
>order extra onions
>get no onions at all
>order no onions
>get double onions and no patty
>>
>>7711040
My sides.
>>
>>7711083
>>7711083

like 1 dollar for a burger is pricey?
>>
>>7711088
Now just imagine they combined a robochef - with a sexbot...
>>
>>7711077
>>7711088
But what do I do when my robot downloads programs for drugs so it can get itself high and makes me a really ugly pair of glasses because it thinks that's funny?
>>
>>7711098
Wifebot
>>
>>7711102
Take it in for robotherapy? Reflash it and deny it access to 4chan?
>>
There are people whose labor will never be worth $15/hr.

Sam called it, now they'll just raise taxes on us folk who actually payed attention in school to support these people and their chilluns.
>>
File: tenderloin.jpg (51 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
tenderloin.jpg
51 KB, 600x393
>>7711023
honestly
>workers want 15 an hour
>robots instantly being looked at as an option in the near future

robots were taking those jobs soon anyway, you think all the companies capable of making the replacement machines just sprung up in the last year?
>>
>>7711023
gyro is best fast food
>>
File: Right again.jpg (46 KB, 454x419) Image search: [Google]
Right again.jpg
46 KB, 454x419
>>7711028
>>
>>7711023
>>>7711061
>not even that guy, but you're probably the biggest faggot posting on this board right now.

He was until you posted
>>
>>7711080
>..... those protesting 15/hr must have thought that companies would do SOMETHING to keep their profit margins?

Considering the profit margin for fast food places, like McDonalds, is around 6-8%, I don't blame franchises for mechanizing at all.

The only reason people eat fast food is because it's cheap, and the only reason it's cheap is because they buy in bulk and use unskilled labor.

Increasing labor costs means that either the product price must be increased, or the profit margin must be reduced, if the profit margin alone can even handle the wage increase. If the product price is increased, then they lose sales, which means the profit margin gets even smaller. If they don't increase product prices, then they have to calculate whether or not the profit margin, alone, can pay for the labor costs, and if so, how much profit will remain. If they're forced to, both, raise prices and pay for labor in profits, then they might lose enough sales that it no longer becomes possible to make payroll and the business will be forced to close.

I guess none of that matters when all people think about is "muh minimum wage! evul corporations!"
>>
>>7711141
Good taste tbqh
>>
File: most employees.png (41 KB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
most employees.png
41 KB, 400x372
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
>>
>>7711061
A typo doesn't make you stupid
>>
>>7711073
sure buddy sure, stay mad
>>
>>7711073
>Gets called out on stupidity
>Has to resort to samefagging in his own defense

Fucking love it.
>>
>>7711133
We've been working on this kind of automation since the 50s. It's only recently that the technology is actually affordable. Doubling wages on the bottom end only made it more cost-effective sooner than later.

All this talk about fast food, but no one mentions waitstaff at sit down restaurants. As much as it is a plate carrier meme to lie about muh $2/hr, they're still considered minimum wage employees. They're now going to have to clear $15/hr as well. Which means a lot of worthless plate-carriers are going to lose their jobs as well, as they trim staff.

This will be good for the diners in the end, as the typical "I'll do my job between smoke breaks..." Denny's tier waitstaff will all be replaced by what you might find at a nicer sit-down establishment. Though not as good for the taxpayers, as we'll just end up with more unemployed single mothers on welfare.
>>
>What now burger flipper?

Basic minimum income.

:^)
>>
>>7711310
Good luck getting that Jamal
>>
File: argument-typo.jpg (32 KB, 735x541) Image search: [Google]
argument-typo.jpg
32 KB, 735x541
>>7711040
>>
>>7711102
>and makes me a really ugly pair of glasses because it thinks that's funny?
Put it back in the TV where it belongs.
>>
>>7711323

Basketball Americans already do
>>
Roll out UBI, abolish minimum wage. Useful work exists that is only worth pennies a minute.
>>
>>7711031
The point is directed at the degenerates of your society, not your personal opinions on how you shove diabetes down your throat.
>>
>>7711033
Because it's fast food, and there are other cultures that differ from American.
>Learn to edify
>>
>>7711102
Fuck off Spider, don't you have some politician to piss off?
>>
been cooking all the time, can't stand fast food anymore. johnny 5 fucks up my nuggets, I'm gonna disassemble.
>>
>robots
What are you people, like, 12?
>>
File: 1459980680276.png (567 KB, 531x448) Image search: [Google]
1459980680276.png
567 KB, 531x448
>minimum qualification jobs getting replaced by technology

wow it's almost like every fucking part of human history
>>
>>7711028
Am I crazy, or does/pol/ and /ck/ have more crossover than any other board? It's almost as if.. /pol/ has hobbies outside of shitposting...
>>
>>7711491
/mlp/ here, if you think you have it bad, this is fucking nothing.
We have entire threads and generals dedicated to nazism.
>>
>>7711491
my insight regarding /pol/ posting on /ck/ is as follows: Higher amount of female posters and married posters allows more femthink through. Vocal minority of /pol/ shitposters overcompensate to keep the place politically balanced between left-leaning nannystate-think and the rugged individuality/counterculture expressed on 4chan which currently uses the alt-right as an outlet.
>>
>>7711133
Eh your typical corporate management is lazy. And the lower middle knows that if they replace the bottom layer with robots then *they* become the new bottom layer, to be bitchslapped and exploited.

So, they won't do it, not unless they're forced into it. And they are being forced into it.
>>
>>7711491
/pol/ is the fastest growing board on 4chan, and second in PPM to only /v/.

It's sheer saturation.
Besides, everybody eats, even nazis on a Algonquian Smoke Smudging board.
>>
>>7711499
>balanced between left-leaning normal successful people and the self-victimizing 30+ wizards who use 4chan as tumblr for bitter paranoid losers
>>
shouldn't automation be a good thing?
why should people do work that doesn't need to be done
>>
>>7711103
No, it has to be self-cleaning for that.
>>
>>7711513
I never said anything the contrary - only that a balance was being sought.

I personally only marginally support one faction over the other, and it's mostly out of a lack of empathy regarding female pity.
>>
>>7711516
It's a great thing, unless you are useless to society.

Only problem is what will trayvon and shequana do for work now?
>>
>>7711527
sell their bodys to medicine
>>
File: 1342848667630.jpg (55 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1342848667630.jpg
55 KB, 720x480
>>7711255
That's actually pretty interesting. Granted, the change won't be instantaneous, but I'm still kinda curious what will happen to all those people if automation really is going to be successful.
>>
File: 1392454351531.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1392454351531.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>7711485
This so much.

There are so many people that have this retarded opinion that automation in fast food will lead to lasting unemployment because "there won't be nearly enough new jobs to replace the old ones." Why.jpg
>>
>>7711098
>you were born 100 years too early for this
>>
>>7711491
/K/ here. Fuck /pol/. I get it politics are relevant, but Hitler and extreme racism is not welcome. Saying the word nigger is fun.
>>
>>7711023
Why do I need to specifically ask Wendy's for ketchup when I order fries? When you can answer that, you'll know everything.
>>
>>7711305
>Denny's tier waitstaff will all be replaced by what you might find at a nicer sit-down establishment. Though not as good for the taxpayers, as we'll just end up with more unemployed single mothers on welfare.
hopefully it will be the kick in the ass people need to actually specialize in useful fields/skills
>>
>>7711614
Because not everybody uses catsup? What do I win?
>>
>>7711617
We can build robots that will be their baby's daddy.
>>
>>7711629
lmao

gubment issue of course

it'll be like mr. handy's from Fallout
>>
>>7711513
>>left-leaning
>>normal

Choose ONE.
>>
until those robots break and they have massive losses. or a customer throws up or shits themselves unless they have robots that take care of that too.
>>
>>7711623
This is America, not some european syrian infested hell hole that snubs ketchup. Safe to assume people most people want it. They put pickles on my goddamn fish sandwich and nobody asked for that. But they can't toss a tiny pack of ketchup in the bag. Reeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>7711510
/b/ isn't #1?
>>
>>7711516
>>7711527
The reason they haven't done it is because the technology isn't actually there yet
He's not an expert on robotics, he's an expert on how much things cost the McDonald's corporation
He doesn't know the actual time and effort and money it would take to make a human-less mcdonalds, but he's saying that increasing the minimum wage would cost more than 35,000s per restaurant and he doesn't want to expend that kind of money

If robots were actually cheaper, they'd use robots.
Remember, there are new mcdonald's being built literally all of the time and yet none of them are automated because it's cheaper not to try
>>
>>7711098

>Mmmm... yeah, baby. Put your big, fat, throbbing digital recipe for steak au poivre right into my hot, tight memory expansion slot. I'm gonna cook the shit out of your dinner.
>>
>>7711636
>people who are okay with paying taxes to subsidize public interests and do not regret desegregation are all TOTAL FREAK DEGENERATES

Never change, /pol/. Not that you need to hear it from me.
>>
>>7711680
*$35,000
>>
>>7711023
>$15 Per Hour
how is this fair
>>
>>7711547
It's because what we're starting to see now isn't the same old automation, it's automation of automation - software and general purpose robots that can learn and adapt on their own to take over new jobs. Rather than automating tasks, they automate types of task.

A conveyer belt means you no longer have to hire someone to carry stuff. Robust self driving software means no one has to hire anyone to move things any more, and any potential future jobs involving moving things are pre-emptively automated out of existence.

That may still be mostly menial jobs, but software that writes news articles already exists, and software that can do things like compose music, diagnose diseases and analyse lawsuits isn't far off.
>>
File: 1461018870459.gif (396 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1461018870459.gif
396 KB, 250x175
>>7711498
>A shit board with a shit topic is mostly comprised of shit posting

Gee, who would've seen THAT coming?
>>
>>7711689
Fifteen bucks an hour is what it takes to cover trash groceries and rent on a horrible apartment, allowing for just enough leisure materials and time to momentarily distract people from how worthless their lives are. Explain why that's NOT fair.
>>
>>7711470
Rumors are military black projects already have AI capable of doing fast-food type tasks. They're just looking for the right excuse to roll it out, make it seem plausible that the civilian world came up with it all on their own.

So, no, eventually the whole shebang is going to be robotic. Maybe one field tech that travels around and fixes shit when it breaks will still be human. And 10 middle managers bossing everything that one field tech does.
>>
>>7711255
transportation is going by the wayside inside of 10 years, there are already self driving 18 wheelers on highways and trucks are being developed that will make it full autonomous
>>
>>7711023
my ex was a fuckup who couldn't handle being a cashier/taking orders over drivethrough without having a panic attack

i almost feel bad for her.

almost.
>>
>>7711684
>people who willingly support dem programs that perpetuate poverty and political corruption are not degenerates

I'd say change, but it's too late for that...
>>
File: 8484867636.png (625 KB, 648x720) Image search: [Google]
8484867636.png
625 KB, 648x720
>>7711603
>/K/
>K
>>
>>7711028
>always right
they're right sometimes and like every other board that's ever been right, they let it go to their head and think they're always right. When they're not right, they at least have the good grace to let whatever dumb thing they were following(like the dozen yearly happenings) fade away.
>>
>>7711023
>Robots Cheaper Than Hiring at $15 Per Hour

>doesn't need to take a shit and not wash its hands
>doesn't need a tip
>doesn't have an attitude
>orders are 100% accurate

bring on the bots
>>
>>7711798
It all sounds roses now but wait until you're stuck in line behind one of those golf cart hybrids screaming at the touch screen for not understanding her four inch wide inputs.
>>
File: 1432403999031.jpg (177 KB, 1375x915) Image search: [Google]
1432403999031.jpg
177 KB, 1375x915
>>7711788
>>7711788
>>7711788

>being that 13 year old fresh from /B/ that points out someone's capitalization of a board's letter with meme arrows and a smug anime face

That was annoying 10 years ago and it still is.
>>
>>7711023

Or maybe, I don't know, be happy with making 14.2 trillion dollars instead of 14.3.

Rich people are mentally ill.
>>
>>7711830
>Rich people are mentally ill.
As a general rule, they are in fact not.
But it might make you happier if you pretend, demonizing people you don't like makes it easier to rationalize your position.
>>
>>7711023
McDonalds is going to spend a fuck-ton on automated ordering machines and STILL lose market share.
>>
>>7711036
You're probably very bad at communicating if you can't even get the kids at McDonalds to listen to you
>>
>>7711836

Having billions and wanting more is demonstrably a mental illness.
>>
>>7711696
If you build a robot, you need to hire people to maintain the robot.

If you build a robot to maintain robots, you do not to hire anybody anymore for anything and you basically have an utopia.
>>
>>7711849
It's merely a flaw of character, and you could accuse a lot of people of being mentally ill by that logic.
You can survive on a couple dollars a day, and you can live comfortably with very little, yet everyone wants more.
That's part human nature part character traits.
>>
>>7711858
Yup. Whether that's likely to happen or not, I don't know. At the moment it seems more likely
>build a robot to maintain robots
>90% unemployment
>say people are just lazy
>people steal to survive
>put them in jail while everyone else commits suicide or overdoses
>>
Robots will eventually replace all workers. This is just another drop in the bucket.
>>
Fucking skynet
>>
>>7711887
dude you have to understand there is no point in working anymore for anybody if your workforce becomes free. it is basic economics, should you reach a point where you have robots 24/7 doing all industrial work and maintaining themselfes then you reached a point where your supply of workforce is greater than the demand.
>>
>>7711773

isn't it amazing that a person can't even handle a fast food order, but they sidestep ruination and starvation because they have a pussy.
>>
>>7711540
Basic income, or something very ugly.
>>
>>7711924
hello welfare bum:^)
>>
>>7711909
Yeah, I was agreeing with that. It's a reality.

The question is how that actually plays out over the next couple of decades, it's not a given that it turns into a utopia.
>>
>>7711924

This may be somewhat true, but the level of understanding of such facts amongst the masses is almost entirely unknown. Most people haven't even been able to understand the ramifications of the invention of the steam engine to human social structures much less everything since then.

There will have to be terrible wars, strife, destruction of nationalistic and religious ideals before a truly non-working society can exist.

Ah well, such is the way of man.
>>
>>7711924
yes and no.

we reached the point long ago during the industrial revolution that the demand of work needed to cover our basic needs is absolutely minimal. But society doesn't want just that, we want luxuries (such as extremly efficient logistics and electronics), securites (military, police) and progress (arts, academia).

you see, just like a lightbulb that produces more heat than actual effective light, so are the people who "because that's what you're supposed to do" apply great amounts of energy to sustain themselfes while a little amount always goes to the luxuries, securites and progress (with your taxes mostly).

Now imagine again a scenario of robots sustaining themselfs and working on all industrial fronts. Suddenly you have all the artists, all the soldiers, all the scientists basically have unlimited funding. And the people who are not working don't have to worry eather, because those who build their homes, make their clothes, grow their food, etc., those are free.
>>
>>7711987
>But what happens when we develop AI that realizes it doesn't want to work?
We're nowhere near an AI that can think like a human does, not even close.
We can teach an AI to solve one particular problem, but free will or a sense of self, we don't even know where to start.

Life isn't a movie, yet.
>>
>>7711987
> when your society is so utopian it is building robot neets
>>
>>7711999
people during the space race thought we'd be having vacations on the moon by 2000.

turns out progress isn't linear, sometimes you just reach dead ends.
>>
>>7711999
Nobody can predict what we'll have two centuries from now.
All I can say is that we're nowhere near there and we're very unlikely to be there in the next couple decades.
>>
>>7711023
This isn't Reddit .05
>>
>>7712015
Nobody reasonnable will attempt to predict anything past a few decade, Anonymous.
For all I know we'll all be dead, or we will have banned all AI research by then, or maybe an unexpected solar flare will send us back to the dark ages.
>>
You can't predict the unexpected, but in a hundred years the truly unexpected thing would be for nothing unexpected to happen.
>>
>>7712011
okay. Here is another comparison:

since computers really cought on a couple decades ago processing power doubled every few years very consistently. people speculated that by that rate by 2050~ we'd reach a point where processing power would be practically infinite.

Turns out, we processing power progress slowed down in the last years. simply because we are reaching the limits of physics, there is just a point where you can't optimize speed/size/heat more than you can with current materials.

point is, progress is unpredictable and often you run against walls in science.
>>
>>7712015
I guess I said decades here >>7711943

The end point of this is hundreds of years away, but it being a significant issue for large amounts of people is going to happen soon. Truck transportation alone employs about 2% of the US population as drivers and admin staff. Fast food another percent.
>>
>>7712037
you sound like a person who is hoping they invent immortality before you die
>>
>>7712033
Not disagreeing, but as a matter of interest on that specific example Moore's law was in reference to the transistor count doubling. We always knew there was a physical limit to the size of our current best transistor design, when you get to the point of making transistors out of a dozen atoms. But we're developing things like memristors and photonic transistors which hop over that particular wall.
>>
File: 1463701891790.jpg (78 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1463701891790.jpg
78 KB, 640x640
>replace workers with robots
>still no guaranteed income
>>
>>7711036

I used to work in fastfood, and the entire crew used to spit in burgers we made for special snowflake shitlords like you.

Contrary to that, customers who were nice, pleasant and patient often got "wrong orders" as we usually put an extra burger, larger soda/fries or some extra sauce in their bags.
It never pays off to be an asshole, and assholes like you will forever be served spitburgers, hairy fries or drinks with 95% ice cubes with a small amount of soda.

I laugh at people like you.
>>
>>7711057

Too bad if robots are to replace everything. Who's gonna buy the shit robots make, when no one makes money.

Durrrr....
>>
>>7711680
I can't imagine it's that hard, frankly. I imagine the hardest part is figuring out a strategy for how to mitigate the huge public backlash.

Just for reference, one worker 24/7/365 would cost over 130,000. You could 100% automate the ordering table under $1000/unit including all the administrative and developmental costs for the software and the like. The gas station Sheetz already uses a similar system to order sandwiches, so the tech is 100% there. It would just be a PR nightmare and all the fast food workers would try to protest.

>>7711715
Fast food workers are not providing $15/hr worth of utility to their employers. If they demand higher wages, they'll be unemployed earning $0/hr instead of their normal $7.25. what then?

>inb4 just raise the prices
If McDonald's charged double the cost (to cover double the wages) I'd just go to a proper restaurant. McDonald's survives solely because it is cheap and convenient, and I'll sacrifice convenience for a burger that's easily 5 times better than that artificial shit.
>>
>>7711617
>specialize in useful fields/skills
And who's going to pay for that? Way to go, you just fell into the "make college free" trap. How are all these now jobless people supposed to go to vocational school?
>>
>>7712102
>I imagine the hardest part is figuring out a strategy for how to mitigate the huge public backlash.

Well, you could
>pay your workers less than they need to live
>wait for them to campaign for a living wage
>watch the public laugh at them
>throw up your hands and say you were forced to install robots
>>
Why would automation be bad?

I like the idea of a future where people are free to do whatever they want while fucking robots take care of the hard work.

I can't wait to see the day when AI starts the automation of engineers and programmers.

Just imagine, a future without stem fags, pajeets and ITfags because those are a thing of the past.
>>
>>7712081
I used to work in fast food, too.
The only reason he has to get mad and swear over mayo is because he used to be nice about it. Then the little fucking felons and potsmokers and 18 year-olds they have assembling burgers don't read the screens, then they realize "OH SHIT this one's not supposed to have mayo!" but then they put it in the bag anyways, laugh and say "ahahaha he'll never notice anyways"
I used to have to literally slap food out of people's hands onto the floor at Taco Bell because I know that NO TOMATOES means NO FUCKING TOMATOES.
5 minutes of pure vocal ass reaming where you're not allowed to say anything except "we're sorry" when your literally mentally retarded drive-thru order taker tells somebody that an item has no tomatoes WHEN IT HAS PICO ON IT will do that to you.
>>
File: 1458617025788.png (17 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
1458617025788.png
17 KB, 274x242
>>7712116
In reality, I think we'll still have to work. Only a select few will partake in the profits of automation
>>
>>7712129

Idealistic, I think things will work like Star Trek.

Forget money and forget profits. Your merit for society is your worth, your currency. I think it's something like that.
>>
>>7711919
fuck you, my boyfriend can't answer a phone and i financially support him and it certainly isn't for his boipucci so kys
>>
>>7712116
It depends what you mean by "bad"

Our current system is based on the premise that everyone works and goods are more or less allocated fairly (obviously, the definition of fair is open to endless debate, but there's a system for allocating goods according to a person's supposed usefulness in the greater system)

Once we are no longer able to fall back on existing precedent for why and how to allocate goods, inequality becomes very difficult to explain in a way that satisfies enough people to maintain the social order. Then, things get very unpredictable, or perhaps unstable even.

We see a small taste of this with the economic growth of the last decade. The people who thought they had a good deal going (blue collar workers) feel they are getting shafted. All the increase in wealth went to a small group. Is this fair? Why? But don't tell me, tell the people who would rather elect the most extremist candidate offering to do extreme things (mass arrests, free education for all, etc)

But this is kids stuff compared to what would happen if even more middle class jobs became possible to automate.
>>
>>7712136
It'd be nice, but I really don't see that happening until things get really shitty first, just look at this thread. Current public attitudes are that minimum wage workers barely deserve what they're getting already, and anyone unemployed is lazy or too stupid to train themselves.

I think UBI will come via prisons.
>>
>>7712116
Post-scarcity is a utopian ideal, but I don't trust the current system to do it. Right now we don't have a safety net for the jobs set to be automated out, nowhere for them to go and nowhere for them to get the money they'll need to support themselves. Until we have that, automation remains a scary thing where people will lose their jobs en masse (think by the millions, across fast food, trucking, among other really menial tasks) with no recourse.

Do you want to be one of the martyrs who loses their jobs to automation before there's a safety net?
>>
>>7712177

I think it's the dreamer part of me. Let me elaborate for a bit.

I hate how "cold" things are nowadays. I'm graduating at computer science, and though I'm good at it, I hate every single second. I don't like the work, I can't imagine me being happy doing just it. It's like a bad chore.

It's just not the kind of person that I am.

I think this will boil down someday, people like me will eventually get tired of it. Hell, "modern art" is a giant, middle finger to that, a way people found to exploit money from rich and pretention people.

I just don't know anymore.
>>
>>7712236
You think because you chose the wrong job and hate what you do, the rich are going to magically sponsor you?

If you want that lifestyle get a passive income somehow. That can be from investments, or you could buy a parcel of land and automate farming or something, but just bitching about the fact that you hate your job won't get the rich to subsidize your NEET life.
>>
>>7712102
>I can't imagine it's that hard
It's harder than everyone imagines which is why CEOs say stuff like "it'd be cheaper to just pay for a robotic arm than pay 10+/-3 employees $15 an hour
>>
>>7712177

I don't think a UBI is workable in the long run. I think robotic self-sufficiency is, however.

People living on $2 a day? We'll see people living on $2 a year...
>>
>>7711023
Except everyone hates using machines like that even young people

First company to do it will loose money cause people don't want to duck with machines

Ever work in a restaurant with a Coke freestyle machine in it? Holy shit people are stupid no imagine all those people complaining that they couldn't get food cause the machine is too complicated?
>>
File: 1459918311801s.jpg (3 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1459918311801s.jpg
3 KB, 125x112
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>7712253

I don't think that rich people will sponsor me, I'm not even on the "getting sponsored" part of the rope. Nor I am a neet.

But I do need a career, I do need a safety net, don't I? And more than half of college degrees are either worthless or a trap, even your future president thinks liberal art is a big fat mistake.

I don't bitch about it, hell, this maybe the first time I ever said that. I hate the way things are, I see people around me being miserable and forced into doing things they don't want because the system tells them to, and I don't think that it's right.

As for investments, yes, this is exactly I want to do in the near future, but I need money I won't make flipping burgers at mcdonalds.
>>
>>7712271
>UBI

what is this?
>>
>>7712271
Well, in a way giving everyone food for free is a UBI in the form of calories. I see it as all forms of the same thing, we already give everyone "universal basic food testing" in the form of the food standards agencies, where in the past you'd have to be very rich to have all of your food tested.
>>
>>7712273
Let them starve then. At some point the dumb need to be weeded out
>>
Good. Fast food work is awful and miserable. Cooking shitty "food" for shitty customers to give your shitty boss some shitty revenue.

They never deserved $15/h anyway. I can't believe people actually think that's a possible idea. I know cops that get paid less than that.
>>
Speaking of robots, is anyone else nice to machines and shit?
Every time I use a machine I always say "thank you" under my breath. Course I don't want to look stupid for thanking a machine but hell. I know I'd be nice to robots if I ever had one. I don't care if it became self-aware but I wouldn't want it to be a murderer.
>>
>>7712254
Okay, let's work this out. Ordering is trivial, you could get Pajeet to do it in a few days at a lower rate than the people he's going to turn obsolete. Less than $1000/unit, probably more in the $500 range for each ordering station.

Cooking the burger is already solved. Conveyor auto-broilers. Everything on a conveyor, patty in, patty out. $15,000 for one that can do >500 1/4lb patties per hour, even more if they're smaller patties.

Now to assembly. Actually I think the largest issues come from opening the buns. Most likely solution is to switch to buns that do not come pre-cut and simply cut them when it's time to assemble. Placing the burger is easy. Perhaps for things like cheese, pickles, and vegetables, the burger could move underneath a mandoline or similar slicer to get a fresh cut on the cheese, tomatoes, pickles, etc.. Liquid/paste condiments are easy.

You'd have to do some R&D there, but it isn't really as big a challenge as it's made out to be. Biggest issue is keeping it sanitary, but someone familiar with engineering at food factories could figure it out. All that's missing is a machine to run the fryer, which is even easier.
>>
>>7712088
>post scarcity society
>>
>>7712327
I sometimes do when talking to more conversational computers like Google Now, but I'd feel stupid doing it to something that doesn't speak back.

>>7712295
Universal Basic Income.

>>7712273
How about voice recognition? Google is getting damn good at it, and I'm sure others are too (it's just that I use Google Now instead of Siri or Cortana and shit).

>>7712349
Ah yes, the poster child for a shitty robot. Doesn't mean someone actually trying to make something decent can't make a good dispenser.
>>
>>7712353
>but I'd feel stupid doing it to something that doesn't speak back
Problem is I do that a lot. If I use one of those high-end vending machines or withdraw money, I do it. Feels odd but for some reason I've gotten used to it.
>>
>>7712327
When the self service checkout machines go
>Thank you for shopping at wherever
I sometimes reply
>No no, thank _you_!
>>
>>7712333
>You'd have to do some R&D there, but it isn't really as big a challenge as it's made out to be
>Biggest issue is keeping it sanitary, but someone familiar with engineering at food factories could figure it out
You're saying "yeah, but someone will figure it out, and from there, it's easy", but those are problems that still don't have solutions
Who maintains the equipment, who makes sure that the produce is fresh, how do you make sure that the establishment is pest free, etc etc
There are so many problems that people just gloss over because either "someone will figure it out" or they haven't even considered
Even if all the tasks are done by robot, there are still major human elements like quality and efficiency
What if nobody orders a burger for an hour? What if a normally busy lunch hour is less packed than normal or vice versa? Do people have to eat old burgers or do they have to wait for fresh ones?
I'm not saying robots cannot do anything I'm asking them to do, I'm saying it's very expensive to get a bunch of robots who can do everything I'm asking them to do
And yes, new technology is constantly being produced, but it's still not feasible to say that an automated restaurant would be cheaper than human workers

>Less than $1000/unit
Most vending machines cost that much, and those are the smaller ones with slow-perishable items, for a touch pad screen that is durable and can stand up to at least a year of abuse, you'd probably need closer to 3000 a unit

>auto-broilers
that's fine and a decent estimate

>Actually I think the largest issues come from opening the buns
The largest issue comes from making sure everything is stacked right.
You could either do it by gravity, but typically machines like those are larger which is inefficient
Someone would need to produce something that senses where the bun is makes sure everything is straight from there

I have a bit more, but this post is already too long
>>
>>7712387
You might be underestimating the current state of technology. Vision based picking and sorting robots are already very common, here's one demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TSD6Cf-4M8
>>
>>7712410
That's 1 robot that only does that specific task
I'm more than positive you can program it to sort multiple things, but with the space it takes up, you wouldn't be able to fit 3 of those into a single restaurant currently
>>
How do they assemble frozen gas station hamburgers?
>>
>>7712416
In my experience there's one dude behind the food counter who makes like batches of 12 every so often and then makes a new one whenever someone asks for something specific
>>
>>7712424
What gas station have you been that has a guy assembling burgers?
>>
>>7712413
>I'm more than positive you can program it to sort multiple things
But that's the whole point. That's what makes it more than "one robot that does one task".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cu7r4oZW8

Here's another one stacking things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET8CWG-uBLE
Packing things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1no5oQ9Hs
Aligning things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFP1BKFgsE8
And whatever this is doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBJPbXZuf8E
>>
File: 3667726_orig[1].jpg (261 KB, 1066x800) Image search: [Google]
3667726_orig[1].jpg
261 KB, 1066x800
>>7712432
Quiktrip
They have the "new" kitchen stations with touchpad ordering
It's like movie theater food
really salty and bad for you, not as fresh as it claims, but you have tons of options
>>
>>7711491
/tv/ has a lot more than /ck/ although in fairness /pol/ is like the second most popular board. There's going to be run off on all other boards.
>>
File: Siemens_PCB_Pick Place_1.jpg (22 KB, 386x268) Image search: [Google]
Siemens_PCB_Pick Place_1.jpg
22 KB, 386x268
>>7712387
I'm saying there's my basic outline, and I'm not going to draw up CAD files or build prototypes because I'm not a paid employee of the McDonald's corporation. I copped out on the sanitation issue because that's not my area, but if it's possible to keep a conveyor within an auto-broiler machine clean, surely you can keep a regular conveyor clean.

>General kitchen sanitation
Someone would need to restock the store, they could be trained to do that. Perhaps a manager and/or cleaning staff could serve multiple stores in a metro area instead of just one.

>Scheduling
What's the protocol they teach at stores? Just program it in. Human fry cooks don't have a sixth-sense that tells when people are about to arrive. Maybe a robot could start a batch of fries when someone pulls into the parking lot.

>Ordering machine price point
I suppose I didn't factor in the cost of a ruggedized touchscreen, but it's still rather insignificant in cost compared to a worker. $3000 is 200 hours until break even at $15/hr, maybe 500 at $7.25.

>The largest issue comes from making sure everything is stacked right
My method was a bit oversimplified, but you could scan easily enough; the machines they use to populate PCBs with electronic components can get it down to within sub-millimeter accuracy.

>not feasible to say that an automated restaurant would be cheaper than human workers
If you want three people there 24/7/365, it would cost $200,000 per year at $7.25 and $400,000 at $15/hr. You've got quite a budget to work with.
>>
>>7711023
Does it come as a surprise to you that a corporation doesn't care about its employee? The irony is that the menial ones get replaced when they'd save more money by replacing middle and upper management with with AI
>>
>>7712353
It still only takes one stubborn old person to tie up a machine for 30 minutes cause they can't figure it out>>7712306

>they'll starve

They'll just go to a fast food place that doesn't do machines and the restaurant with them will loose money
>>
>>7712443
>But that's the whole point
That still isn't efficient
When I said multiple things I didn't mean stack cups and then sort tiles, I mean you could reprogram the robot to do different tasks
But you'd still need several robots to do the tasks required in making a single burger and then several burgers
Not only that, but the robots that can do multiple tasks require extra equipment which is bulky and slow and expensive

The reason why nobody makes robots that can do multiple things is because it's still cheaper (and more efficient) to pay for 5 robots that can each do 1 thing than 1 robot that can do 5 things
If a robot can do a single task in any amount of time given (where time is x), you'd still end up with more burgers if you had 5 robots than 1

Production facilities like you're showing me just prove the notion that robots are currently only useful for large batches of quality uncontrolled things with tons of room both in terms of space and error
It's much less feasible when you're talking about a 50,000 sq ft building
>>
>>7711485
Difference is we've never had a population this high and automation has generally created new industries to transition into. With robots taking those jobs the unskilled have nowhere at all to go. I don't see a robot generation creating hundreds of millions of new roles for unskilled workers. What the fuck happens when this many have no income, shitloads of debt and no way to get a job?
>>
>>7711036
You're the genius who returns to an eatery that clearly can't or doesn't care to accommodate your dietary needs. Also, props on your latent racism and mistreatment of the working class.
>>
>>7712453
The best idea's to replace any job you don't hold with automation, innit?
>>
>>7712474
Okay, but you were challenging the notion that assembling a burger with a robot would be easy, I'm pointing out that the software and hardware to do that already exists. Try to extrapolate from those examples to a potential machine. A room sized machine that builds burgers is not a far off dream, it's perfectly feasible today. You don't need a single robot that does every task.

Quality control at fast speeds in large quantities already exists today, vision based assembly exists today, small scale automated food production exists today. These robots are all on the order of a few square feet. Production facilities are much larger because they're processing product on the scale of tens of thousands of people an hour. A restaurant only needs to handle hundreds.
>>
>>7712482
This post makes me want to punch you, how much of a soft beta bitch could you be?
>>
>>7712453
I was under the assumption there'd be absolutely no human components
It'd be fully automated right after the person who drops the truck off and everything is unloaded

One of the biggest costs IS sanitation
Who cleans the screens, the frier, the converyor belts, etc
If someone throws up, especially if it's in a specific place that might contaminate the food, like around the area where the food is served/comes out of, that's a health risk
But if you just hire a human to do it, that's fine too

I mean, most of my points come from nitpicking because robots can't do anything and still need regular upkeep
Stuff like, who makes sure that the touch screens are functioning well, there are probably going to be tons of drunk people being too rough with the equipment so you might have to replace a touch screen maybe once or twice a year
and I know from experience working in retail situations where there are both touchscreens and regular equipment, shit breaks down constantly
>>
>>7712520
>you were challenging the notion that assembling a burger with a robot would be easy
No, I was challenging the notion that it would be cheaper and more efficient to fill a restaurant with robots that can do everything a human can
I mean, if you just want a burger constructing robot, you can probably find some dude in LA who is more than willing to set that up for you
But I think the notion that robots will completely replace humans and it's far cheaper to just use robots is ludicrous
There are robots that can build you a burger, but there aren't robots that can build you tons of burgers in the same amount of time as humans that can also fit into the same amount of space
>>
>>7712121
You sound like a fucking loser lmaoooo
>>
>>7712511
Pretty much

t. Computer Science student interested in machine learning

>>7712523
Yeah I guess I hadn't necessarily eliminated every human element, just most of them. A rotating cleaning and management crew servicing multiple restaurants is most likely more feasible than automating cleaning and sanitation.
>>
>>7712537
Fair enough
But is hiring a cleaning crew (who will still work for more than $15 dollars an hour should the wage hike happen) more or less costly than just having someone who can make burgers and clean up after themselves
I don't really know, especially if the cleaning crew has to be knowledgeable enough to take apart certain pieces of the robot and put it back together, going through a checklist to make sure all the knives are sharp enough and all the bits and pieces are safe enough to interact with things people are going to eat
>>
>>7712521
Not so alpha that I need to prove myself to a wage slave working what must be a deeply unsatisfying and soul crushing job. If one wants better service, one eats at a better sort of restaurant
>>
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE ROBOTS

why are the fast food places only threatening to change over instead of actually fucken doing it.

i am starting to think there is a shadier reason for making these threats than everyone thinks.
>>
>>7712534
>No, I was challenging the notion that it would be cheaper and more efficient to fill a restaurant with robots that can do everything a human can

Two things: I don't think you actually mean "everything a human can" because that's a whole other level, and I think everything I've posted actually does respond to that idea. There's a robot the size of a few vending machines that can produce pizzas to order. I've shown you technology that can arrange the physical parts of a burger far faster than a human can that have a <10 square foot footprint, frying production lines already exist.

Of course, it's a fact that there isn't already a single machine that can produce MacD burgers in an existing restaurant's floor space, but I'm trying to point out that it's not some head in the clouds day dreaming to say that such a machine is completely possible.
>>
>>7712582
>I don't think you actually mean "everything a human can" because that's a whole other level
I do, which is why I disagreed with you

>There's a robot the size of a few vending machines that can produce pizzas to order
And it would take a larger robot to create better quality pizzas or larger pizzas or pizzas that actually taste like a human made them

> I've shown you technology that can arrange the physical parts of a burger far faster than a human can that have a <10 square foot footprint
even at the most basic unit, it would only be able to assemble certain parts of the burger, unless it was a higher quality (therefore higher cost) robot that hand multiple features for condiments and various types of meat
Look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9oeOYMRvuQ
Yes it's fast, but it can't pick up multiple types of ingredients
Imagine if it also had to slice butter and pour syrup
It's not impossible, but it has a much higher cost, either in terms of space or money or upkeep

>frying production lines already exist
true, but again, it's a problem of size and efficiency
Though I'm sure it's not hard to get a robot to dump some fries into a hot box and salt them

>but I'm trying to point out that it's not some head in the clouds day dreaming to say that such a machine is completely possible
Maybe I made a mistake when I said the technology isn't there yet
I didn't mean machines that can implement various practices don't exist
I meant that it would still be far more expensive than just hiring humans given current standards
There's also my whole other argument with the other guy who was responding to me that sum up a lot of my other points on "current technology"
>>
Everyone deserves a living wage, Companies are just hurting themselves with automation, they'll no longer be able to evade taxes because they'll need to pay for UBI,

Do you think tens of millions will tolerate being out of jobs and not having the essentials to life?

They'll fucking riot.
>>
>>7711102
>makes me a really ugly pair of glasses because it thinks that's funny?

Ah so THAT'S why hipsters wear those stupid glasses with no lenses.
>>
>>7712632
>The Luddites are well respected today.
Good luck buddy, you can smash the loom but you'll still be shuffled off to another equally onerous task and still be poorly compensated.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 293x172) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 293x172
>>7711077
>>
>>7712621
I think we actually agree and are just being subject to the 4chan
>every reply is an insult
environment.

I mean, "everything a human can do" involves reassuring a shy customer or making jokes to cheer up a child. Which are obviously ridiculous things to expect a robot to do. I (and I think you are) talking about the limited situation of a production environment that would be profitable for the parent company, which involves taking orders through an input system and delivering on the at a rate of success matching or exceeding existing human staff.

>I meant that it would still be far more expensive than just hiring humans given current standards
Absolutely agree. To build a chain from existing robots would be more expensive than just hiring high schoolers.

The only points I'm advocating are that at some point it will be cheaper, and that point is within the next few decades.
>>
>>7712654
>Which are obviously ridiculous things to expect a robot to do
That's an AI issue, but honestly I expect stuff like that to come around before automated fast food

And I don't think any of it is going to be this Century
Maybe next century and the process will be fully dehumanized in the next 200 years
>>
File: hungry yet.jpg (42 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
hungry yet.jpg
42 KB, 500x654
>>7712121
you're retarded, and never worked anywhere busy obviously.
I can tell because you'd fucking know how impossible it is to get an order out the window in 50 fucking seconds regardless of how big it is.

these asshats are simply fuckheads who think the world revolves around them, they can't put themselves in others shoes and wonder why a mistake was made. Should we recomp you? sure. but should you make a bitchfit and lose your patience? fuck no. especially not if you order more than 4 meals in the fucking drive through.
>>
>>7711023
It's inevitable though. They were going to be replaced at 7.25.
>>
>>7712662
>That's an AI issue, but honestly I expect stuff like that to come around before automated fast food

You expect hard AI to come about before automation of food assembly?
>>
>>7711617
That might work for a while but eventually automation will take their jobs to. At a certain point the only positions available will be held by a small class of intellectuals.
>>
>>7712668
where do you work? sonic?
>>
>>7712688
Not hard AI, no
I think we're going to see an intense switch away from major increases in hardware efficiency to software efficiency
I mean, it's already kinda happening
Sure software needs hardware to keep up with it, but it's a lot easier to invest in software than hardware

Basic AI patterns that can't exactly freely converse but can respond very efficiently will totally be implemented before food automation
Hell, we have that kind of stuff set up already, just call any major corporation after closing hours and you get sent to a digital operator
>>
>>7712088
government basic income
>>
>>7712707
Again, absolutely agree. I think we're talking past eachother, maybe just disagree on how fast this will happen.
>>
>>7711028
They're wrong on the larger issue of basic income and the inevitability of automation.
>>
>>7711102
order out for long pig and monkey burgers and call it a day
>>
>>7711498
Is there one up right now? I gotta see this shit.
>>
>>7712104
Industries that need to hire new employees offer training in exchange for a work contract that if broken, would cost the worker money. Worker then has job for a few years or more. Only problem is reduced job security, but workers who are desperate enough will still go for it.
>>
File: 1463144627634.jpg (655 KB, 1019x1285) Image search: [Google]
1463144627634.jpg
655 KB, 1019x1285
UBI is retarded, and if it happens it will ruin my schizobux loophole because of overnight inflation due to wageslaves having more money to spend, screw that, let the normies wageslave so i can continue to play the system. or at least double the bux for those who claim to be mentally ill.
>>
>>7715156
that graphic is only half right
yes wage slaves do jump to defend the system and do claim that its about contributing to society but it implies the falsehood that they actually contribute to be true

Actually contributing to society like using taxes to build better infrastructure, improve healthcare, and make job training cheap and available. Is considered evil scary communism
>>
>>7711023
The idiots memeing about this kind of thing really don't know what they're talking about.

Automation is basically going to be one of the most dramatic shifts in history. Normally new technology creates new jobs, but it won't this time.

It's not just factory workers or burger flippers. Basically everyone in the transportation industry, people working in cubicle farms, people working in courtesy jobs will all be unemployed.

There's going to be hundreds of millions or billions of people worldwide who suddenly find themselves unable to get a job, not because they're unfit but simply because the job was replaced by automation.

This will even apply to some of the preening morons who make threads like this, automation will apply to near everything.
>>
>>7712413
They'll redesign the kitchen the way they did with front wheel drive engines. They'll find a way to cram it all in.
>>
It's a 100% better chance of getting my order correct than the cashier does so fuck it.
>>
>>7712116
Oh you'll have plenty of time. Not much money or resources though. Those will be reserved for the aristocracy.
>>
File: myth bust her.gif (2 MB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
myth bust her.gif
2 MB, 200x183
>>7715191
>They'll find a way to cram it all in.

hey, watch it buddy
>>
>>7715184

Luckily the majority of the sciences and technologies are safe from this for like, the next 150 years so I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>7711841
If they can get the price low enough people will come back. If a robot made big mac costs 10 cents, I bet you'd try a few of them. You might complain about how mediocre they are. You'd probably be right. But for 10 cents, you'd do it.
>>
>>7711036
>I'm allergic to mayo
>>
>2026
>be 26 years old and living with parents
>they scream at me every day to go get a job and move out
>try to explain to them that no manufacturing, fast food or other companies are hiring
>they tell me to go in and shake the supervisor robots hand and insist on talking to it
>try to explain to them that ever since automation replaced 70% of the US workforce in a decade, there are literally millions of other people going through the same college education I went through, rendering it worthless
>they tell me to shut up and work harder
>get lectured on how things worked back in the 60's and told that me and people in my generation are lazy and worthless

This is the future you are creating for the boys and girls growing up today.

Automation of this type and scale will not create vast new industries and jobs like the Industrial Revolution did.
>>
>>7712570
Management is lazy. Switching to AI cooking is a risk, why take it if you don't have to? If your labor pool is illegal and mexican and have no real rights, it's like having NI robots with no upfront capital costs.

But if they have to actually pay for labor, if they feel they don't have a choice, if they're forced into it, they'll do it.
>>
>>7715199
>Let's put a whore into every scene and watch ratings go up
I don't usually fall for these kinds of gimmicks, but the episode where they chained her up and waterboarded her got me good. I felt like such a sheep after fapping but it was a good fap
>>
File: Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe.jpg (17 KB, 350x100) Image search: [Google]
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe.jpg
17 KB, 350x100
>>7715248
>"shake the supervisor robots hand"
that only worked in the 60's, now you have to suck manager's dick to get a job at mcdonalds.

So go ahead, you lazy fuck, give the manager a firm handjob.
>>
>>7715248
hopefully a Basic Income scheme will have been proven effective and sustainable by then, where the gubment pays you minimum wage just for being a citizen.

>but muh nobody will work anymore
people will always want more than their neighbor, anon.
>>
>>7711023
I just had gyros yesterday and I want them again now. Delicious gyros.
>>
>>7711036
You aren't allergic to Mayo, asshole.
>>
>>7715293

Technically (at least in the US) it would cost over three trillion dollars annually just to give every US citizen ten-thousand dollars a year.
>>
>>7715308
It's going to a problem on the scale of global warming or social securities imminent collapse.

What do you say to people who have no higher education, got kicked from their jobs because the shiny robot is cheaper and now have no money to feed their kids or way of getting higher education?

Actually, even if they did manage some sort of scheme to put everyone who wants to through college, it'll achieve nothing other than devaluing a diploma and making them just as unemployable, only now with a fancy paper to hang on the wall.

I know some of the more edgy people here will say "herp durp let the pheasants rot" but fact is there's a good chance the people saying this and thinking themselves secure will end up unemployed along with the rest.
>>
>>7715337

Diplomas have already lost value. That's why there are so many angry idiots with liberal arts degrees that thought they could drink their way through University and get a job afterwards.
>>
>>7715347
Exactly, and it's only going to get worse in the next decade.

Even the 'kek, liberal arts' argument will start to die as people going into STEM fields suddenly find themselves unable to be employed, or asked to intern for free for half a decade before taken on.
>>
>>7715282
also a fast food job doesn't count as experience anymore apparently

I worked at pizza hut for 5 years and when i have interviews (for a busboy or waiter position) people are like "so this is your first real job"
>>
>>7715621
That has to be the saddest thing I've heard in this era we're in.
>>
Supermarket cashiers haven't been replaced by self-checkout counters, yet.
>>
>>7715651
yeah and the funny thing is i was a manager I was trusted with a businesses money and know people won't even trust me with dirty dishes

*sigh at least I'm only 21 there still time.... r..r..right?
>>
>>7711077
>You gotta think a bit bigger than just burger flippers out of a job, this is a new era.
I'll believe you when robocows can make chlorophyll-based super beef
>>
>>7711255
that was an interesting video but I don't think we are going to see mass full automation of the economy

unless of course the powers that be euthanize the bottom 75% of the global population
>>
>>7715274
Oh, yes... that episode... the clip of just her scene is on YouTube...
>>
>>7715657
Things haven't gotten bad enough yet.
>>
>>7715621
Meh my current employer (I'm an intern with a defense firm) said he was impressed with my 5 years fast food experience through highschool and some of college. It got me the job practically.
>>
>>7711098
Women would be completely out of business.
>>
>>7711473
DISASSEMBLE!?

DEAD!!!?!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
>>
>>7711498
>bad
Fuck off back to your safe space. /pol/ is one of the only influences keeping that board from becoming another Tumblr-filled shithole.
>>
>>7711849
Having billions and wanting more is human nature.
>>
>>7712668
>Should we recomp you? sure.
You gonna recomp him when he fucking dies due to a food allergy because you or one of your dipshit friends fucked up his order? No. you're going to run away and try desperately to disavow responsibility like the little bitch you are.
>>
>>7711036
They're literally trained to value speed over accuracy. It's not the people you have a problem with, it's the corporate structure.
>>
>>7712482
Spotted the spic. Hows the wall coming Pablo?
>>
>>7711635
This can go too far real easy. Can you imagine a Mr Handy rabbi?
>"I'm simply mortified about the bris incident."
>"Simply mortified."
>>
>>7711028
What did /pol/ say about this?
>>
>>7711023
Is anyone actually surprised by this?
>give me more money to do the same shitty incompetent work I've been doing!
I was literally speechless for a good 4 seconds when I went to McDonalds for the first time in a while a few months ago and the cashier was a white American who could, get this, speak fluent English with no thick accent and could actually understand me without having to point at pictures on the board and nod like a monkey. I hope she gets a new job, but these robot waiters are the fucking future. I can walk in, order, pay, and eat without having to interact with ANYONE. It's a godsend.
>>
>>7712482
You've got to go back.
>>
>>7717144
>interacting with people, the nightmare of 4chan autists
>>
>>7717144
It's like you're the only one on the world, you self-important, entitled prick.
>>
>>7711214
Corporations are inherently evil you dumb prick. work local shop local, and all will be good. fuck big business and everyone who profits from human suffering.
>>
>>7717155
>le evil capitalism XD
>le poor human brothers
hello /r/
>>
>>7716941
sounds like bitch boi shouldn't have inherited shit genes.
>>
>>7717163
it's okay to be wrong, you should just be man enough to acknowledge it. All I'm sayin brev.
>>
>>7712668
Fuck off subhuman piece of shit. You're not entitled to people being nice to you when you fuck up all the time. If you want to be treated better, go to school and get a respectable job. Humans have emotions and they get angry, and they have all the rights to do when you mess up food and waste their time all the fucking time. The fact that your boss overwork your monkey ass and puts unreasonable speeds is not my concern. Kill yourself
>>
>>7717184
bro, it's time to come back to earth. You can't just walk around treatin people like shit. on that note I hope your kids are bullied and hated by everyone.
>>
>>7717188
Back to earth -- people have an infinite amount of patience, and they will get angry. Asking people not to get angry when others fuck up their plans and time with their incompetence is unreasonable when humans are partly emotionally driven.
>>
>>7717192
>an infinite
Meant finite
>>
>>7717192
If you get upset about some dumb shit you stop going to what is upsetting you. If someone keeps fucking up your shitty burger go somewhere else, or make your own food. It is absolutely not unreasonable to do any of these things. If you get a couple fuck ups you need to just tell them you want a refund and leave you do not need to treat people like shit because of some petty dumb shit.
>>
>>7717194
You go somewhere else and the same shit happens again. Then you go somewhere else, you're hungry and running late, and another monkey screws up your simple order and you can't eat and fucks up your day. Then this happens again the next day. Making your own food is not always an option, and there's no disclaimed in your drive-by to let people know that screw-ups are to be expected. People get angry, they can't always just politely ask for a refund. They're not emotionless robots that follow a protocol in all situations, they sometimes respond emotionally and it's perfectly understandable.

I don't personally get angry at burgerflippers for fucking up my meal, but I do think it's ridiculous for them to think that people getting angry at repeatedly fucking up their plans == thinking "the world revolves around them"
>>
>>7717200
Well then it's time to go hungry isn't it? it's okay to skip a meal. We live in the first world you can survive a couple extra hours without eating. Guaranteed you'll make it home to eat a full meal. and why the fuck isn't it an option? it would take half an hour at most to make lunch or dinner for the next day when you get home. C'mon man that's just lazy, and unexcusable.
>>
>>7711102
Then you make three more issues with a pretty good build up and totally fuck up the ending in a pretty successful attempt to disappoint all your fans.
>>
>>7717204
>Well then it's time to go hungry isn't it? We live in the first world
We live in a first world and people don't like going to work hungry because of the incompetence of someone else. Anyway, it's clear you can't grasp the concept that that different people have different schedules, different priorities, different experiences, different thresholds of pain, and different expectations.
>>
>>7717208
whatever you and your bitchy mayo hating friend are just privileged trash.
>>
>>7717209
>tumblr getting triggered
At least we're not subhuman trash.
>>
>>7717210
and how you are wrong at least I don't take out my inadequacies on defenseless fast food employees. I get you can't satisfy your lover after a long day at your IT job but that's not their problem.
>>
>>7717214
>defenseless
You misspelled incompetent
>>
>>7717216
>incompetent
Incompetent is right buddy.
you avoided what I said therefore I was correct.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.