[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Cookers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Rice Cookers.jpg (172 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Rice Cookers.jpg
172 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /ck/, what are your opinion's on rice cookers?
I'm thinking about buying one, and wanted a good, but cheap one.
>>
Azn here, blog post to follow
Growing up my mom didn't believe in them at first because the maids didn't use them when she was growing up
Then we lived in Japan for a bit and they were all the rage, so we got one, maybe so my dad's coworkers wouldn't think my mom was being abused
We left it behind when we moved back to the USA, but bought another one
I've used a lot of them and sometimes the cheap ones are alright but if you eat a lot of rice the nice ones are totally worth the extra $$
>>
>>7708463
>cheap
Kinda relative.
The 'cheaper' Zojurushi are just under $100. That's what I would suggest.
If that isn't your idea of 'cheap', then get the one in your pic; Amazon best seller.
>>
>>7708540
>>7708502
I appreciate the information guys
>>
>>7708463
I use mine literally every single morning to make steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon and apricots. Automatically has it cooked and ready by the time I'm done with my shower and shave.
>>
They all seem to work about the same, buy one that has enough capacity for you and doesn't look like it's gonna catch fire when you use it.

Use mine all the time, I eat a lot of rice and it's convenient as hell to set and forget.
>>
>>7708463

I use literally exactly the one in the OP

It cooks rice and also steams or slow cooks which is great because I don't have an oven or slow cooker
>>
>>7708463
Don't go too cheap. The $15 ones asst Wal-Mart absolutely suck at cooking rice.

Something between $30-40 will do the job without making you pick undercooked rice out of your teeth.
>>
>>7708463

Whatever you do if you're cooking for one just get the smallest $15 dollar one, you aren't making 8 cups of rice for dinner (unless you're obese and diabetic) and if you try to make a single serving in op you'll have a thin layer of all crusty rice at the bottom
>>
>>7708827
>buying anything from Walmart
I know I said cheap, but cheap was $30-$50
>>7708859
Cooking in bulk is never a bad idea if you plan out your week
>>
>>7708463
Korean ricecookers are on the downlow cheaper/better then jap ones.
>>
>>77088I bought the 15$ one from walmart last week and I already feel like it's gonna burn my house down.
>>
>>7708864

no its not, but i feel like part of the 'sell' of a rice cooker is have fresh rice every night with the lowest effort imaginable and heating up yesterdays rice is another unnecessary step

>inb4 someone raves about greasy fried rice
>>
>>7708864
>cooking a week's worth of rice all at once
reeeeee
>>
>>7708463
A good rice cooker will make rice better than a pot ever could. A bad one is just a waste of money that will make it worse than a pot

Get something that is from a Japanese company, cost atleast $100 and your rice will always be perfect
>>
File: 098790798.jpg (123 KB, 800x446) Image search: [Google]
098790798.jpg
123 KB, 800x446
This is my favorite rice cooker. It does the job better than I could have imagined, and it was the cheapest one I ever found too! Don't fall for the $300 redundancy machines the jews try to sell you, they can't even cook rice as well as the simplest of all rice cookers.
>>
Reviving this thread from page 10 because this is relevant to my question.

I'm also looking for a rice cooker, and I'm thinking of getting a Zojirushi one since I had that before and it made perfect rice and oatmeal. Now, I'm looking through amazon, and I can't decide which model to get since they all seem roughly the same. My budget is between 100-200 dollars.

Any recommendations? Maybe another brand if the cooker has fuzzy logic.
>>
>>7708463
Mine burns the bottom layer and I don't like the burnt stuff.
it's a little less effort to clean the bowl insert since it's so non-stick, but it makes like 12 cups. I'd rather scrub my little pot more and make maybe two cups.
>>
>>7708463
Get an electric pressure cooker with a rice setting. It's quicker and more useful for other things (you can can with them, make beans quickly, tender roast meats quickly...). The rice tastes just as good and electric pressure cookers are the same price (and in some cases even cheaper) than rice cookers. I paid 70 bucks for mine. I've used it almost every day for 3 years.
>>
>>7709659
with a 30-50$ rice cooker I can throw some rice in with some water, press a button and walk away
between 1 and 6 hours later I have cooked, warm rice without the risk of burning or whatever
>>
>>7712035
I've got a Zojirushi. I love it, and if ever goes out, I think I'll try a Tiger brand. Nothing against the Zojirushi. I'm 10/10 happy, but I like to try new things.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Corporation-JBV-A10U-W-5-5-Cup-Steamer/dp/B00KDNKTJG

I like that it has a steamer basket, and they're $55.24 used right now.

My Zojirushi is currently $99.99 used. I got it for about $75 at a different time of year (this was about 5 years ago).

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LAC05XA-Uncooked-Cooker-Warmer/dp/B000G30ESY
>>
File: o.jpg (46 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
46 KB, 600x500
>>
>>7708463
If you eat rice and other things like beans and oats frequently you will love having a rice cooker.
>>
File: 1373581175970.png (162 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
1373581175970.png
162 KB, 500x476
>>7712325
>between 1 and 6 hours later
How much fucking rice are you cooking at once?
>>
>>7715799
Even when i make 12 cup rice batches in a pot at work it only steams for 15 minutes. My home rice cooker only takes that long. Maybe anon just means it keeps warm for a long time, which sounds nice but is actually a food safety issue.
>>
>>7708463
it cooks rice, just get the cheapest one they have
>>
>>7708463
Get one with a fully removable lid. Like how pot lids work. Used hinged rice cookers all my life and didn't know there was a better way. Now I have seen beyond the mountaintop. Potlid rice cookers are so fucking easy to clean, oh my jesus.
>>
>>7717624
>so fucking easy to clean

Yeah. But the downside is that they don't cook the rice as well. There's a reason that most brands have a hinged locking lid. The best models even have a high pressure mode.
>>
>>7715799

You can delay the nice cooker like a coffee pot
>>
Is there a trick to cooking restaurant quality rice? Whenever I go out to eat at any nice Asian food restaurant, there rice always taste great. Yet when I try to make it at home I can never replicate the same taste.
>>
>>7720558

Cook it with msg and leave it in an unrefrigerated five gallon bucket by the back door until serving time
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.