[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic outside grill party
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: retro-bbq.jpg (88 KB, 300x259) Image search: [Google]
retro-bbq.jpg
88 KB, 300x259
I want to invite my friends for some beers and grilled meat this weekend but I don't want to spend a load of money and we've never done this before.

>Should I ask them to chip in (21 yo, 2 guys, 3 girls)?
>What meats? I was thinking chicken and sausages. Beer and home made iced tea for drinks.
>What sides?

I appreciate all advice, I'm holding it outside on my lawn and I have a pretty big charcoal grill.
>>
>>7708088
Chicken is good for a grill party since it only has one degree of "cooked' and you don't have to deal with everyone's level of doneness for it like you would red meat. Maybe just ask them to bring cold sides like potato salad or something like that, but yo should do the meat unless someone has specific dietary requirements.
>>
>>7708088
>Should I ask them to chip in

Why bother with a grill party? Just go out to eat
>>
>>7708088
It's usually best to get people to bring a side rather than demanding cash.

1 guy brings the beer
1 chick brings a side dish etc

If you can't afford it don't do it.
>>
>>7708088
If you're planning on cooking for a bunch of people you need to plan to spend money.

That you don't know what to cook says you don't know how to grill, so:

Go to a Mexican market/butcher and get a bunch of marinated chicken drumsticks.

Have peeps bring veg to grill. Also make a couple friends bring beer.
>>
Chicken and sausages are perfect though you should had in some grilled veggies as well. If you are providing the meat then you should for sure ask if they can bring some sort of sides or booze.

Grilling out with friends is a great time, make sure you have some good music to go along with it and get nice and buzzed.
>>
>>7708195
Yeah, I should've made it obvious that I'm getting the meat.

What are some good veggies to grill?
>>
>>7708213
Whole cobs of corn
Asparagus
Skewers of thick-cut onion, bell pepper, and squash

>>7708195
+1 to chicken and sausages

Just look what's on sale at the local grocery and shoot for no more than $2.50-3.00 per pound. I suppose this depends on your cost of living, though.

I can get drumsticks, quarters, or split breasts at about $1 per pound, and boneless-skinless breasts for $2 here.

Oh, and make sure either you or someone else brings bread and a side dish made with potatoes.

Easy way to pad the quantity of food on the cheap.
>>
>>7708088
watermelon
>>
>>7708088
Marinade can cover many cooking sins
>>
>>7708265
Watermelon is still expensive here since it's been cold for most of the year.

I haven't seen corn but I'll try to get my hands on some.
>>
>>7708184
This is good advice. I prefer the thighs but it's all good
>>
people like hotdogs
they just do

prep the buns with condiments that aren't trash because this isn't a ball game
>>
>>7708308>>7708275

>Prep the condiments on the bun

You mean have all the condiments lined up buffet style so people can prepare their hot dog their own preferred way.

I'd slap the autism out of you if you pre mustard and ketchup the buns.
>>
>>7708332
get ready to lick the autism out my butthole because i would pre-chicago dog all the buns (+plain buns on the side)
>>
>>7708384
Buns gonna get soggy if you do it beforehand with out a hotdog in the bun. And I like Chicago dogs minus relish extra peppers.

>Chicago dog

Did you get poppy seed buns? Pfffft.
>>
>>7708088

>invite people over for cookout
>make them pay

fuck yourself, seriously. if you can't afford to host people, don't fucking pretend to host people.
>>
Ask them to bring some stuff to grill. Say what you're willing to chip in/make and ask what everyone else would want there and eventually people will chip in.
>>
>>7708399
why u mad tho
>>
That's good that you're socializing OP! If you are hosting the get together than you should probably pony up and just get everything that will be eaten there. Telling people BYOB is a good idea, but have some cheap liquor/beer available in case someone is a poorfag or if you want to bag one of the doe's.
Don't over think it and don't try to be a master chef if your not, work inside your skill set. Have fun!
>>
File: startrekontherise.jpg (134 KB, 734x1089) Image search: [Google]
startrekontherise.jpg
134 KB, 734x1089
you buy the meat
you buy beer and wine and pop

ask them to bring appetizer, chips, side dish, maybe desert

5 guests and you is not that many people to feed
>>
There are already some good ideas ITT. Basically as host you should have enough food and drink on hand to justify inviting people over. When they politely ask if they can bring anything you can answer with a six pack or a side dish. But if you're hosting you should have enough food and beer on hand to get the party rolling.
>>
>>7708420
>OP
>skill set
>>
>>7708394
I use brioche hot dog buns bitch
>>
>>7708399
I mean come on, we're all in education and nobody is rich. They should know I had to buy everything to feed 6 people a massive meal.
Wouldn't you chip in if one of your friends that you hang out on the regular had house free for the weekend? I'd offer to shop with him and I always bring my booze, somehow my friends don't do this. Not being cheap ass, just kinda what I think.
>>7708420
I'll be sure not to make anything that requires more than heat and salt, I know I'm not that smart.

OK, so I'll buy everything. Who cares its just money, I'll just drink a few more to forget about it.
I was thinking about making a bunch of crepe rolls with jam and chocolate to bring out later in the evening (like in the pic, but more).
>>
File: 1449866020-workaholics.gif (491 KB, 500x234) Image search: [Google]
1449866020-workaholics.gif
491 KB, 500x234
>>7708427
I'd say a case of beer and some fruity wine cooler stuff for the women should do.

Unless we running with the Go Hards.
>>
>>7708441
>OK, so I'll buy everything.
Buy enough to feed six and everyone gets a few drinks. Your guests can bring whatever to make it more of a party than that if they so choose.
>>
Every time i grill at the house and invite my friends over, I supply all the food that I want to grill. My friends know to bring whatever they want which is usually a sixer and some veggie options for the vegetarians in the group. When my friends host a BBQ, I bring beer. Simple as that
>>
>>7708437
>using brioche buns
Kid, you've lost the plot
>>
File: Mr_Stingy_Logo.png (81 KB, 320x276) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Stingy_Logo.png
81 KB, 320x276
>I want to invite my friends for some beers and grilled meat
>I don't want to spend a load of money

You're doing it wrong.

If you wanna spend WISELY, then pork and chicken are always cheap.
>>
>>7708088

>chip in
ask them to bring the beer/drinks and/or blowjobs. if you have the drinks already there should be some sort of implied reciprocity if they are friends.

>sides
mac n cheese, salsa and some chips, some kind of bean dip
>>
>>7708088
Chicken thighs and legs are stupid cheap you could buy enough to feed an army for like 10 bucks. Then grab a case of PBR or something cheap. Tell them to bring sides and more beer if they want it.
>>
>>7708088
You know how to cook indirect on a charcoal? You could smoke a pork butt. One of those would be plenty and you'll impress the guys there
>>
>>7708427
This seems reasonable
>>
Hamburgers
Pork chops
Chix wings
Cole slaw
Baked beans
Watermelon salad
>>
>>7708088
It shouldnt cost much to cook for 6 fucking people (3 being girls I assume arent hambeasts).
Just ask that people BYOB and maybe some potato chips or something.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.