[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some super versatile + cheap + common (find them in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: OxtDga0.jpg (465 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
OxtDga0.jpg
465 KB, 2448x2448
What are some super versatile + cheap + common (find them in any supermarket) ingredients that can make multiple meals?

I wanna buy like 10-15 ingredients tomorrow and have a lot of options. How do I maximise this?
>>
>bread
>sliced olive loaf from the deli section
>tomatoes
>mayonnaise
>11 other condiments

You now have an almost endless variety of potential sandwich options.
>>
most meals are made up of a starch (rice, tortillas, potatoes, etc), a protein (tofu, meat, seafood), a fat (olive oil, sesame oil, butter), non-starchy vegetables (onions, peas, carrots, greens) and seasonings.

Get a starch or two, a few proteins, a good cooking medium and plenty of vegetables and you can mix and match to make plenty of meals.

a simple example is stir fry. sesame oil, rice, whatever meat you like. season with soy sauce, pepper, chili, etc and rotate the vegetables you use and you can have a bunch of different meals without getting bored.
>>
>>7708042
This is quality advice
>>
>>7708042
>good cooking medium
what?
>>
>>7708042
>good straightforward advice on /ck/
But mostly this.
There's also a few websites which list good combinations

Basically you cm figure out what veggies go well with what meat, and what seasonings go well with what meat. Then, like anon said, you can just rotate between these combinations and stir fry

That's more or less what I end up doing, and I also have a few go-to stews and soups.
This is mostly for when you need food and you don't want to bother researching recipes and looking for less popular ingredients
>>
>>7708032
>87178291200 ≈ endless

Yeah, no.
>>
>>7710078
How did you calculate that?
>>
>>7710049
oil/butter
>>
>>7708032

no protein doe
>>
>>7710091
14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2.
Why?
>>
>>7708021
BEANS
AND
RICE

And also lentils
>>
>>7710178
That calculates permutations not combinations.
>>
>>7710193
Whats the formula for combinations of 14 ingredients then?
>>
>>7710181
>rice
forget rice, buy flour and bake sourdough bread.
>>
>>7710385
I posted it above for all combinations of 15 ingredients with at least 3 ingredients.
>>
File: out.jpg (364 KB, 1600x2501) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
364 KB, 1600x2501
Thanks for all the advice I went to supermarket and got this. Did I dun goof? This'll be my first time cooking so I've no idea what I'll do. Tips?
>>
>>7710433
You did good, i hope you have herbs and spices in the pantry.
>>
>>7710433
Aw man, prices for food in the states are so much lower than here :'(

But yea like the other anon said, bretty his start there, assuming you have some spices/seasonings as well
>>
File: lrg.1354822676.1463587942[1].jpg (47 KB, 610x257) Image search: [Google]
lrg.1354822676.1463587942[1].jpg
47 KB, 610x257
>>7710110
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.