[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food Industry Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: cook.jpg (220 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
cook.jpg
220 KB, 1080x720
So, I start my first ever line cook job this week at a pizza/greek place.

I've had experience with some prep, but nothing in an environment similar to a line.

Does anyone have tips/tricks or funny stories about working on a line. I love the food industry threads on this board and absolutely cannot wait to experience it myself.

I'm really excited and eager for this opportunity and want to do a good job, so I appreciate any help I can get.
>>
>>7674655
Best advice you'll get.....get out of the industry asap. You'll end up an alcohlic/ drug user and have no social life. It's a terrible industry to work in
>>
>>7674666
Seem like you have been in the industry before.

Do you have any advice besides that? I don't plan on it being my long-term goal, but due to my situation I will be in this job for at least a few years.
>>
File: 1459644653176.png (188 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1459644653176.png
188 KB, 327x316
Are you social and confident anon? Do you tend to throw spaguetti?

This job has helped me a bit to get over my spergyness...it is the only job i can do...but one day i will do something else...it is quite stresful

Funny story :

>First day at new job
>Waiter tells me that a waitress wants to fuck me
>Ok
>Waitress herself ends up telling that to me
>Act like i dont want to

Actually i would fuck anything
>>
>>7675139
w-what the fuck? who would want to fuck a stranger after knowing them for one work shift? sc-scary.

OP, I've been working at a pizza/mexican place for a month and two days. Above poster is right, everyone there is a drinker, druggy, or fucking someone else in the place. And there is no social life.

I bus/serve, but the kitchen seems brutal. Tips I have:

1. Get to know all the inter-relationships before you start trusting anyone. Who's related? Who's fucking? Who's friends? Enemies?

2. Figure out what things can burn you and protect yourself. People working the pizza ovens/fry pans take knee socks, cut the toes out, and wear them as sleeves to protect their horribly scarred arms from further damage. One lady wears a ball cap on her head and a bandana on her face to prevent grease splash from fucking her face up

3. Some of this advice is shit, some good
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/25-reasons-why-it-sucks-to-work-in-food-service-6607067

gl op
>>
>>7675139
>>7675389

Thanks for the advice!

I know it's going to be stressful and rather daunting at first getting to know everything, but I'm hoping going into it somewhat prepared for that will make it a bit easier.

I was warned by the manager to not get involved in the bullshit that goes on. Apparently some of the cooks like to start drama? I've never understood why people are like that, but, I'm glad he gave me a heads up already.
>>
>>7675432
Have trust in people. But don't trust them unconditionally. If you're nice in a rough workspace the "nice guy" will have to get daaauwn before they end up liking you. Those are the rules, so what they're doing to make you tough actually with exceptions is for your own good so you won't get the real beating by someone who had to let it all out on you sometime.

I have tried that. Don't be too nice. Care for yourself firstly, and if you gotta need to be shown the ropes don't take it as a personal favour but purely professional side of things, if you need others to be kind to you don't expect it in the workspace where being polite and filling every spare breath in with a "please" makes things worse. Don't lean on anyone but please do swim with the flow.

Beside's that. It's not a hell. Float on your own. It will stink though but that's life.
>>
>>7674666

/thread
>>
>>7674666
the meme lives on

but it does kill your social life
>>
File: 1457661475896.png (97 KB, 286x215) Image search: [Google]
1457661475896.png
97 KB, 286x215
>>7674666
He isn't wrong.

Listen OP, I love you, but if you are going to be a line worker and you want to be good, there are 2 pieces of advice I would give before any other.

1) On the subject of politics, listen to what Anon has to say about learning the relationships and the pecking order of your store. There is a LOT of drama and politics in restaurant work. Its good to ignore it and not become a part of it whenever you can, but if you want to do well, you will abuse the shit out of it. You don't have to be nefarious, but you will see what I mean if you work in a couple locally owned joints.

2) Regarding the skills required to be a proper line cook, there are two which I would say are far more important than any other. They are tidiness, and haste. In nearly every place I have worked, nothing is more important than efficiency. Getting out good looking food isn't enough, it also has to be in a timely manner. And the enemy of haste is disorganization. It may seem fairly obvious I know, but keeping a neat and clean line as you work throughout the day is imperative.

The reason I emphasize it so much, (and this will be my parting advice to you) , is because unfortunately it is very very easy to get fired in this industry. Or it can be. Kitchens have a higher turn over rate than nearly any other job that I am aware of. And if it doesn't work out the first time, don't get discouraged. Its a very skill based job. You will learn eventually to work SMARTER NOT HARDER. and you will gain the skills you need.

Good luck m8
>>
>>7674655

Try some drugs.
>>
>>7674655
I learned all my kitchen shit at wendys tbqh and now whichever kitchen I'm in nobody says shit to me.
>>
>>7676215

Adding to the part about cleanliness.

You will find you're often so busy that you feel you might not have time. Take the 30 seconds and keep your section clean. Wipe it down, keep a spray bottle or soapy water nearby. Even a wet rag is better than nothing to clear debris.

Pay attention to what you're doing so you don't knock things over. It can happen quite often and I've seen guys need to completely remap a line before service because their setup causes spills.

General advice.
Pay attention to everything going on around you, while focusing on your own tasks. Sounds impossible, but think of it like driving. Look around every minute or two and see what others are doing, learn from watching so you can ask questions.

Taste constantly. Keep spoons in clean water nearby.

Work efficiently. Do like tasks together. Need to chop a bunch of shit, chop it at the same time(keep it physically seperated). Don't chop, store, label, walk around, do something else, then chop again. Get it all done together unless there are outside factors preventing you.

Ignore the politics. Focus on yourself and building your skillset. If you get dragged into the politics game, the only thing that will save you is your own skills. People talk shit all the time, but skill is impossible to fake.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.