[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we rest meat? Like what is the difference, and how can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: picture unrelated.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
picture unrelated.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
Why do we rest meat?

Like what is the difference, and how can you tell if a steak or chicken breast wasn't rested properly?
>>
>>7672151
U r what u eat and i dont want to be tired
>>
You don't need to rest chicken; you only need to account for carry over.

You know a steak hasn't been rested when you cut it open and all the juices gush out all over the plate.
>>
File: 1462244441431.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1462244441431.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
For a simple analogy, imagine muscle fibers as a group of straws, full of liquid. When heated, both capillary action and the nature of water bonds under heat (and the shrinking of those "straws" at ends closest to the heat source) causes the internal liquid to migrate to the center. The "center" cannot hold that much liquid, therefore it is lost when sliced open.

Letting the steak rest causes the liquid to migrate back, if not fully then at least to a degree better.

t. biology degree pro
>>
>>7672155
you're cute anon
>>
>>7672182
>Alton pls go
>shooting with me
>>
>>7672151
Rule of thumb is let the meat rest for half the time it took to cook it
If you grilled a steak for 10min, let it rest for 5
>>
>>7672160
But that's what baked potatos are for, to soak up the juices.

mmmmmmm
>>
>>7672182
Meat doesn't contain any fiber, only plant foods do
Carnists are actually this retarded
>>
>>7672351
If I turned the steak while cooking, do I have to turn it while resting?
>>
>>7672151
The meat is sleepy and needs to nap
>>
>>7672364
Yes or else it won't char evenly.
>>
File: Approval_deadwood.gif (341 KB, 174x176) Image search: [Google]
Approval_deadwood.gif
341 KB, 174x176
>>7672358
>You know a steak hasn't been rested when you cut it open and all the juices gush out all over the plate.
>But that's what baked potatos are for, to soak up the juices.
>mmmmmmm
I love that sop!
>>
>>7672360
You forgot your trip MM
>>
>>7672151
steak juices will fill your plate, if not rested. is that bad? depends on the person
>>
>>7672151
It's just some meme shit perpetuated by food network cooks, the same as boiling cold water or whatever. /ck/ does eat up the double think though, because some how searing doesn't "seal in the juices" but resting does, lmao
>>
>>7672182

I, too, read the first link on google related to letting meat rest.
>>
>>7672351
But then it's cold
>>
>>7673340
>lmao

B A I T heres your you
>>
>>7673366
>He can't even "here's your (You) right"
(You) too
>>
>>7673370
you want one too buddy ok
>>
>>7673340
Resting doesn't seal in the juices. It gives the juices the chance to evenly redistribute themselves inside the meat and for the muscle fibers to absorb most of them back in.
>>
>>7673340
cold water does boil faster though, didn't you take physics in high school?
>>
>>7673139
oh wow someone in /ck/ actually gets it.
>>
File: 1401414325966.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1401414325966.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>7672182
>For a simple analogy, imagine muscle fibers as a group of straws, full of liquid. When heated, both capillary action and the nature of water bonds under heat (and the shrinking of those "straws" at ends closest to the heat source) causes the internal liquid to migrate to the center. The "center" cannot hold that much liquid, therefore it is lost when sliced open.
>Letting the steak rest causes the liquid to migrate back, if not fully then at least to a degree better.
>t. biology degree pro
Cool, thanks I'm not op but appreciate the detailed answer, and sailing ship pic.
I let my meat rest to allow it to cool but in that time it also continues to cook after you take it off of the heat. That's my understanding anyway, and your explanation of what is happening is top notch, thanks!
>>
>>7672358
Why would you want your side dish to have some of the flavor of your main dish that has been ruined instead of your main dish being good alone with the side dish being good by itself?
>>
File: 1454822189746.jpg (84 KB, 555x538) Image search: [Google]
1454822189746.jpg
84 KB, 555x538
>>7673477
>Why would you want your side dish to have some of the flavor of your main dish that has been ruined instead of your main dish being good alone with the side dish being good by itself?
>Side dish
>Main dish
Steak and potato is the main dish retard
>>
>>7672151
Because the meat continues to cook when it's removed from the heat. It retains heat.
Leaving it for five minutes allows the meat to continue cooking. After about five minutes the flesh will be more tender and the fat will have permeated through the flesh, making it more tasty.

I always vary the time of resting depending on how much meat I cook. But five minutes is usually sufficient.
>>
>>7672155
lmao
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.