[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are they drinking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 1460854847373.jpg (143 KB, 1280x915) Image search: [Google]
1460854847373.jpg
143 KB, 1280x915
What are they drinking?
>>
>>7669782
The last vestiges of their collective youth.
>>
spirits
>>
>>7669782
Liquid sorrow
>>
Ouzo in celebration of a captured, homosexual poltergeist.
>>
>>7669782
Dihydrogen Monoxide in its liquid form
>>
>>7669847
>feigning sublimation
>>
>>7669852
>not observing the contrapasso
>>
Absinthe
>>
>>7669782
An alcoholic beverage.
>>
Judging by the way the gentlemen on the left holds his cigarette, I'm going to guess some Eastern Yoorapean delicacy like yodka, or uzo.

Hard to tell.
>>
Coffee and grappa.
>>
>>7670630
>absinthe
definitively not

could be raki, ouzo, grappa, slivovitz, obstler, schnaps...

the picture is from LIFE magazine... so find the place where they are
>>
>>7670901
I'd have guessed schnapps or sambuca judging by the shape of the glasses.

The sign in the top right looks like it could have "et MEL HOWARD" ("and MEL HOWARD" in French), "de" or "du" before "FANDOS" (also French), and "LES" near the bottom (French). The style of clothing (man at back wearing cravat?), hair (unkempt), cigarettes etc. has a bit of a French atmosphere as well.

I'm gonna say a French city (probably Paris) and the drinks are sambuca and coffee, since that looks like coffee, and sambuca and coffee go very well together.

Now how do I find out if I was right?
>>
>>7670947
Found it (ctrl+f "pastis"):
http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/03/21/art-students-1960s-paris/

It was Paris, but the drink is Pastis, not Sambuca.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastis
>>
>>7670947
maybe do a Google image search to find out where this picture is from?
>>
>>7670955
normally pastis is drink in bigger Glaser on ice and you add water to dilute it... never saw that people drink pastis in little glasses and pure...
>>
>>7670969
I agree, Pastis is not drank neat, it's served with ice and water which gives it a cloudy appearance.
>>
>>7670969
The reporter or source (who was probably foreign), might not have known what they were drinking and just guessed at pastis because it's the local anise spirit, as opposed to sambuca which is Italian.

Or maybe the art students were pleb enough to drink their pastis as though it were sambuca. The guy in the cravat looks like he knows what he's doing though, and from what I've heard, Parisians tend to have enough good taste to get this sort of thing right.
>>
>>7671001
pastis is yellowish .. the liquid in the glass is clear... sambuca is the better option ( or raki and ouzo, in the 60's - 70' s Greece was popular in the student communes )
>>
>>7671041
Like >>7670781 said, it could be grappa as well. That is often drank with coffee.
>>
I don't think it's sambuca or they'd be slamming it, not have half finished glasses.
>>
Wild Blue
>>
>>7669782
shery or schnapps
>>
>>7669782
opium
>>
>>7669782
why is a girl half their age hanging with a bunch of old dudes?
>>
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 1280x911) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 1280x911
>>
>>7671764
That's what French kids look like at 15.
>>
>>7669782
Pernod
>>
>>7670781
They would be drinking espresso with grappa.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.