[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bread thread? Thought I'd try making a sourdough starter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: sourdough.jpg (79 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sourdough.jpg
79 KB, 800x800
Bread thread?

Thought I'd try making a sourdough starter this weekend. It seems to be working, this is a few hours after the first "feed". Any tips to not fuck up this early stage?
>>
>>7651751
spit in it
>>
Use non chlorinated water, and as with everything else baking, use a scale. As long as you follow those rules, making sourdough starter should be fool proof, just keep feeding equal parts flour and water every day.
>>
>>7651970
Can I just boil tap water or do I need to be buying bottled?
>>
File: sourdough2.jpg (88 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sourdough2.jpg
88 KB, 800x800
About ten hours later, it looks pretty happy.
>>
>>7653110
I hope it turns out good
>>
>>7652004
boiling isn't going to get rid of the chlorine, use a filter or buy distilled from the store. It's like a dollar a gallon
>>
File: WP_20140915_005.jpg (175 KB, 720x1278) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140915_005.jpg
175 KB, 720x1278
>>7651970
Why this? I've heard not to use chlorinated water, but I got a starter going with plain tap water once (pic related). I didn't stick with it because I didn't stick with making bread on the reg. Any quality differences?
>>
>>7653640

Chlorine in tap water is used by the man to keep us down man its like those chemtrails you know keep us nice and subdued man like they like mindcontrolling us through water and air yknow man cause they scared of us yknow the power that we have yknow man
>>
File: sourdough3.jpg (61 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sourdough3.jpg
61 KB, 800x800
>Dee faw in the Big Broother Hoose, and the contestants are all feeling a bit tired.

I've seen some sites say this tends to happen after the initial burst of activity, with various justifications. Be interesting to see if tomorrow's feed wakes it up any more.

>>7653637
Cheers.
>>
>>7653640
Because making sourdough starter depends on bacterial activity, and chlorine in the water will negatively influence that.
>>
>>7651751

So.. if you read up on this subject, what you will find is that it takes atleast 20 days to establish the proper sourdough yeasties that you are looking for.

During that 20 days, different bacterias will inhabit your starter and wage all at war.

At first will be the fast bacterias but they won't have staying power and will eventually be eclipsed by slower, but heartier bacterias... eventually you will end up with a medium acting bacteria that will work alongside those heartier bacterias, and eventually these bacterias will make an environment that is condusive to the actual sourdough bacterias that you are interested in... this takes several generations of each bacteria and weeks of feeding.

You can try and make bread with some of the excess waste starter that you will make between then and now - but don't be confused and think that you are using a true starter at any point between now and a couple weeks from now.

Between now and then you will have slow days and fast days for gas production as the bacteria change out.

Eventually you will know you are there when the starter starts to behave very predictably over the course of several days, doubliing in a couple hours after every feeding.

Welcome to the world of fully do it yourself, scratchtastic, bread baking!
>>
>>7656456
Can you point me to some places to read about the culture evolution? I've mostly just read the fresh loaf and the earlier papers about l. sanfranciscensis, but I haven't found much actually looking at what populations tend to be found at different stages.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.