[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your culinary pro-tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9
File: 1462463198208.jpg (8 KB, 299x302) Image search: [Google]
1462463198208.jpg
8 KB, 299x302
Post your culinary pro-tips
>>
It's easier to cut bell pepper slices with the skin facing down
>>
>>7649065

Buy a decent knife, lean how to take care of it, and issues like this will become irrelevant.
>>
adding ketchup to a well done kobe beef steak provides and sweet and tangy kick that will keep you coming back for more!
>>
File: McDonald's Sextuple 2.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
McDonald's Sextuple 2.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>7649061
Combine 3 McDonald's double cheeseburgers to make a sextuple
>>
>>7649075

or you can just ask for a cheeseburger with six patties at the drive thru
>>
Tomato paste is a hero ingredient. Anything made in a pot can usually be improved by tomato paste.
>>
>>7649061

add a bunch of hotsauce to your food to hide how shitty it is. if your guests complain about how spicy it is just tell them they are pussies
>>
>>7649084
>just tell them they are pussies

Works every time.
>>
>>7649077
I don't want to be judged by the drive thru workers
>>
Freeze dried mushrooms add a more robust flavor than fresh mushrooms due to the drying process sealing in the flavor at the peak level of taste.
>>
>>7649090
>drive thru workers
>opinions mattering
>>
>>7649090

why? they work at fucking McDonalds. if anything you should be judging them.
>>
people who claim to have food allergies are lying/picky eaters
help them expand their palate by preparing food as you would for anyone else and not telling them until after they have eaten
>>
If you're ever ordering a lot of food, but not enough to add up to more than one person just say you're doing an eating challenge.
>>
If you find you overstated, mix in sugar to balance the taste.
>>
>>7649102
>>7649111
No I just order like it's going to be for more people to avoid the shame. I'll usually throw in
>and my friend would like...
>and for my roommate who is back home...
Or
>I'm having a get together so I'll need 16 double cheeseburgers. ..

It's just easier that way
>>
>>7649130
What?
>>
Need to have a grilled hotdog ready in 20 seconds? Wrap in tin foil and microwave on high for 15 seconds.
>>
You can save on washing up by using the chicken bones to scoop up mashed potatoes instead of cutlery.
>>
>>7649150

This is funny but i would actually do this. I enjoy eating like a caveman
>>
File: 1457490359731.gif (1 MB, 503x306) Image search: [Google]
1457490359731.gif
1 MB, 503x306
>>7649061
>>
File: 20151225_151348.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151225_151348.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>7649061
Eat the wing of the turkey, it's the best part
>>
File: IMG_20150402_172337.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150402_172337.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
>>7649137
Microwaving metal is a great plan
>>
>>7649061
You can take canned biscuits, cut a hole out of them and deep fry them to make quick donuts. Just shake them in a bag of sugar or drizzle glaze or spread on icing. Alternatively, you can boil them to make bagels.
>>
File: 20150704_162534.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150704_162534.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>7649061
Cook all steaks to a perfect medium rare
>>
>>7649061
use more onion and garlic than you think you need
>>
>>7649166

What kind of fucking loser needs that bullshit to eat flats? Eat from the side with the smaller bone. Remove the smaller bone with your teeth and free hand, being sure to scrape any morsels of meat from it. Then put the larger bone in your mouth and take the meat off with a little suction action. Definitely the most satisfying way to eat wings. I let other people take the drumsticks because I love the flats so much.
>>
>>7649211
>What kind of fucking loser needs that bullshit smaller bone. Remove the smaller bone. put the larger bone in your mouth with a little suction action. Definitely the most satisfying. I love so much.
>>
>>7649229

Yeah, what's up? Got a problem? Does the language make you feel strange in your pants, and you're so fucking insecure that you can't bear the thought of being with a man because so much of your identity, so much of your masculinity, is tied up in pursuing women?

t. actual faggot who loves dicks and chicken wings
>>
>>7649211
I do it sometime, it's sort of fun to do. Only works.when the wings are cooked properly
>>
make sure to put pots/pans with fryng oil close to the front of the stove top, and make sure to keep the handles pointed outward.

This makes it easier to control the pot/pan so you don't accidentally knock it over.

also, make sure you wear socks in the kitchen while frying to prevent burns on your feet: oil flies very much vertically and tends to land on your toes when you cook.

If you've never fried food at home before try a neutral oil like extra virgin olive oil. make sure you heat the oil up just so that it smokes just a bit and then turn it back down to temperature to make sure it's the best temperature.

If you don't have a cooking thermometer, a small ice cube is a good test for oil's temperature: if the oil is the right temp, the ice should give off really small jets of steam from the oil: sometimes you need to look really close to see it.

cooking oil can also be reused, so make sure to bottle it back up once it cools and store it in the freezer to get rid of any unwanted flavors.
>>
>>7649281

If they're not, why are you eating them? Demand quality in everything.
>>
>>7649122
I do the same, but they over exaggerate and claim to have a hard time breathing.
>>
Don't cook bacon in the nude
>>
>>7649312
>the ice should give off really small jets of steam from the oil

It's really hard to see sometimes, but i've been doing it for 20 years, works every time.
>>
If you're a lazy sack of shit and want to east Kraft Mac n Cheese, and some of your own shredded cheese before serving it. Meatballs are also a good idea
>>
>>7649312
woooow thanks 4chan now i'm dead because i followed your overtly negligent advice
>>
>>7649134
Autism speaks.
>>
If you heat a tin of condensed milk on the stove for several hours it turns into dulce de leche carmel.
>>
>>7649233
We don't all have OPs lip muscles

So we can't all suck a chicken bone dry with the prowess of a faggot.
>>
>>7649078
There is a reason it is a mother sauce.
Try the four others.
>>
>>7649382
Gotta admire their commitment though. One of my customers hasn't moved for a few hours.
>>
>>7649735

>french act like cooking gods
>all their sauces some variation of butter milk egg and flour
>have to edit their mother sauces to include tomato
>>
Not a pro-tip but I just cooked a pork chop in the microwave out of desperation because I lack an oven or a stove right now and it's actually edible.

Like, holy shit it's a solid 5/10. Not bad at all.
>>
File: mbqn8c9Q6q1qir6ra.jpg (78 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mbqn8c9Q6q1qir6ra.jpg
78 KB, 300x300
>>7649312
>frying with extra virgin olive

That's when this post took an amazing turn
>>
> Buy digital probe thermometer
> Never under or over cook any type of meat again
>>
>>7649135
Autocorrect error, I'm sure. I bet they meant oversalted
>>
Microwave your potatoes, rice and pasta to cut down on cooking time and save space in your stove

Reuse plastic tubs if ice cream as big ass Tupperware
>>
>>7649205
truth
>>
>>7649067
While you aren't wrong, I spend a lot of time cooking at other people's (pleb's) places where you are lucky to have a dull chef's knife instead of a dinky steak knife.
>>
>>7649187
newfag
>>
The easiest way to peel manykinds of produce is to cut the ends of with a chefs knife, then stand it on one end and slice down the sides.

It works forwatermellon, pineapple, potatoes (i highly recommend not using those crappy potato peelers)
>>
Pro tips for seasoning sticky rice and beans?
>>
add an extra egg to baked goods to make them fluffier
>>
>>7649187
>>>/a/
>>
So lemme ask you pros for some tips: my dad bought a giant fucking pallet of Hamburger Helper beef noodle flavor so I'm stuck with like 24 boxes of this shit.

What can I add to it to make it not completely awful? I tried making it according to the recipe on the box, and it was bland as fuck. There also doesn't seem to be anyway to cook it without winding up without either soggy pasta or rubbery beef clumps.
>>
>>7649078
You can also buy a can of tomato sauce, which is cheaper in general, not just per oz, and reduce that.

Or have the best of both worlds and have your own homemade crushed tomatoes and then you make a sauce, then make paste when you need by heating over low heat til it reduces.

I like this because if I'm making a small serving of something, I don't have to think of a way to use the remainder of the can of paste or just toss it. I can just "make" 2 tbsp of paste.
>>
>>7652418
>Fry hamburger in a pan with onions/garlic/oregano/peppers (Or some combo of)
>Set aside
>In another pan cook the pasta as normal (Adding water.milk/flavor)
>When its almost done add the beef
>Dont overcook your pasta retard
>>
>>7652432
That seems like that would result in the beef being very bland due to not cooking in the sauce.

The main issue I have is that the amount of time you need to cook the sauce for in order for it to thicken up enough always seems to result in soggy pasta. If I try adding in less water, it cooks down too fast and the beef doesn't have enough time to get tender.
>>
>>7652442
Maybe try slightly undercooking your beef/pasta so that it finishes with the sauce
>>
>>7652447
Well, you add the sauce and pasta in at the same time. Beef gets cooked first, then you add the pasta, water, milk, and sauce. I guess I could cook the pasta separately in a pot, undercook it, then add it in at the end. That might work.

The question, then, is what can I add to my beef/sauce to make it no taste basically like creamy salt?
>>
>>7652418
>>7652418

i have the best recipe use for that exact situation, this literally came from the same question I asked an old lady in new orleans.

She was at the flood gates during katrina, the autoritys had arrested her son 'alcom, we all called him Malcom but thats how his name was spelled. Malcom had managed to steal a hamburger helper long haul truck, with half its payload still in the truck, he knew that the people were starving down home, so he rode it all the way back, feeding the peoople.

I was one of those people, I had swallowed half a gallon of salt water, my cat died because I couldn't hold onto him in a wave, nothing memorable could of been salvaged from my car and home after the looters, but when I ate that perfect blend of spices and hamburger helper, that beautiful thing, all I could think of was survival.

Malcoms mom had a stroke that night, but lucky for me she had handed me the recipe.
>>
>>7649166
doesn't help, there's still cartilage stuck in there with veins. It's not clean, it's just easier to not kill yourself while you're 200 pounds and have to shovel food in efficiently
>>
>>7652430
>You can also buy a can of tomato sauce, which is cheaper in general, not just per oz, and reduce that.

>dirtying another pot instead of taking 5 seconds to open a can
time=money, friend
but you're not my friend, i was being sarcasm
>>
>>7652530
Money is also wasted food, friend.

I only have to feed two with my homemade spaghetti sauce recipe. Yet if I use a full 6 oz can of paste I have to make enough to serve 8, unless I want the sweet tomato to overwhelm everything else. I do freeze from time to time, but sometimes I want to use just one 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes and make a small batch to use up the leftover sausage.

>time is money
Then plan better. I have the sauce simmering while I brown the meat. By the time I finish simmering the sauce the meat is done. Only need two burners. Then I have the meat sauce simmering, then later use that second eye again for boiling pasta.

My grandmother and aunt and a couple of neighbors grow shitloads of tomatoes. We devote one entire day to canning. Make some diced, make some crushed, some whole, and a big batch of sauce. I visit my grandmother and aunt, assist them, and bring home shitloads of different canned tomatoes by the crate load for my pantry.

BTW I work 40-50 hour work weeks, with one week out of a month 3 12 hour night shifts. Use your spare time well. I till have hours of freetime to waste, despite making my own paste.
>>
>>7649090
You are ordering 3 cheeseburgers and they know its all for you because you are fat enough to eat a sextupleburger

They are judging you either way
>>
>>7652465

So what's the fucking recipe?!
>>
>>7652623
You know you can just buy tomato paste in a tube, right? You keep it in the fridge, it keeps for months, and you can use as much or as little as you need.
>>
Subpar cooking skills?

Add hot sauce until your friends can't handle it, then call them pussy's for not eating it.
>>
>>7652857
>>7649084
>>
>>7649134
>I'm having a get together so I'll need 16 double cheeseburgers

Jesus fuck

Don't do this again
>>
File: 257390287.png (50 KB, 736x1024) Image search: [Google]
257390287.png
50 KB, 736x1024
>>7649187
Thanks for your helpful safety guidelines, as usual
>>
>>7649875

Can i put down microwave safe material and shave the potato, before putting it in the microwave? Does that carry additional risks?
>>
>>7649134
Jesus, this is autistic.

If you really must fake it, here's what you do: when you get to the counter, pull out your phone, pretend like you're looking at an order you have written down. Say "I'm gonna need (whatever you want to order)".

It's still pretty ridiculous that you order so much food that you have to pretend it's not all for you just so people won't think you're a disgusting, fat fuck, but at least you won't look like you have the 'tism.
>>
>>7652901
Or just place your fucking order.

No one talks about all the people they're ordering for unless they're really ordering everything for themselves. You're basically broadcasting that you're a pathetic loser drowning himself in food.
>>
>>7652934
I worked at Mc Donalds when I was 16 and whenever someone placed a fuckhuge order they normally just don't say anything about it and you go on with your life.
>>
>>7652857
>then call them pussy's for not eating it

Works every time
>>
>>7649061if you only have one empty jar but need two to store what you bought worry no more just mix the salt And the sugar and store it in one jar
>>
>>7649205
I used too much garlic and now I'm sick
>>
File: petfoodcover.jpg (55 KB, 750x445) Image search: [Google]
petfoodcover.jpg
55 KB, 750x445
>>7652430
>I don't have to think of a way to use the remainder of the can of paste or just toss it.

Get some of those canned pet food covers. Only use what you need from the tomato sauce can. Cover can. Place can in fridge. Use it again later for a different dish. Problem solved.
If you have no covers, place some plastic wrap over can opening and rubber band seal it.
>>
>>7652829
I've never seen this.
Huh.
Well, shucks...

( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)
>>
>>7652873
Anon specified GRILLED flavor. I assume that's smoky.
>>
>>7649090
>>7652653
Do people actually give a shit about any of this?
>>
>>7649061
>Say "Behind" every time walk behind someone.

>You can check how well done a fried egg is the same way you check meat: poke it with your finger and feel how firm it is.

>Always poach more eggs than you need. You will fuck up a few of them

>Superglue works better than band-aids for cuts on your hands. (Still glove up, though)
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.