[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is resting meat important or just a meme? I really can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Is resting meat important or just a meme? I really can't tell the difference when i do it except that the meat gets colder.
>>
>>7648932
you're supposed to wrap the meat in foil first, buttwipe.
>>
>>7648932
What are the numbers on the plates I can't read them?
Top left is obviously the juiciest.
>>
>>7648974
This, and yes it makes a difference. But letting meat come to room temperature before cooking is definitely a meme.
>>
>>7648932

You should let it rest for a few minutes because it's technically still cooking and you wont end up with a bloody mess like upper left plate.

Think of it like picking fruit before it's actually ripe even though it "looks" ripe.

And fucking christ go read the definition of "meme" before you start dropping it like you understand what it actually means.
>>
>>7648982
really?

i've seen meat burned on the outside and colder than room temperature on the inside
>>
>>7649152

do you cook with a flamethrower?
>>
>>7648982
>But letting meat come to room temperature before cooking is definitely a meme.

I second this and also find that w/ refrigerated steaks, it helps to get a nice crust and keep everything rare on inside w/ no gradient
>>
Steak should be served at room temperature. That's what hot sides are there for.

The people saying to wrap it in foil before letting it rest are fucking with you.
>>
According to Marco Pierre White, it's just a meme.
>>
File: 1459186808264.jpg (16 KB, 321x353) Image search: [Google]
1459186808264.jpg
16 KB, 321x353
>>7648982

Horse shit you faggot.

You let it come to room temperature so that that the meat will cook evenly when it meets with the heat source.

Go back to your kraft dinner and apple juice.
>>
>>7649404
It will always cook evenly if the starting temperature is even. Clown
>>
>>7649591
The colder an object is before you drop it into the pan, the more the pan's temperature will drop and the less even it will be.
>>
>>7649602
not if you use an induction cooktop hooked up to a 200 kJ capacitor bank.
>>
File: 0021.png (13 KB, 222x187) Image search: [Google]
0021.png
13 KB, 222x187
It always makes me chuckle watching you slab-of-meat eaters sperg about how to cook your shit.

I got news for you, it's not all that hard. Y'all are just all autists about it. I mean seriously how hard can it be to cook a ONE INGREDIENT DISH.
>>
>>7649606
Shut up, you stupid cunt
>>
>>7649404
>Wants meat to cook evenly
>Cooks rare steak until it has a nice crisp on the outside
>WTF WHY IS MY STEAK WELL DONE!!!

There is something to be said for certain parts of the meat cooking faster than others.
>>
meat juices are protein, fat, water and a bunch of dissolved stuff. when it's too hot it will gush out of the steak as you cut into it. as it cools it gets more viscous and doesn't gush as much. there is a sweet spot you want to hit where the steak is still hot and the juices flood your mouth but they don't all flood onto the plate as you cut it which both smushes the meat and increase the surface area.

there's also probably some 'redistribution of the juices' as it rests but the traditional explanation probably overstates that a bit.
>>
>>7648981
It's from here http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/how-to-have-juicy-meats-steaks-the-food-lab-the-importance-of-resting-grilling.html
>This image shows six steaks of identical thickness that were all cooked to an internal temperature of 125°F. I sliced one steak open every 2.5 minutes and placed it on a plate to collect any juices that leaked out.

I assume the numbers are 0, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 and 12.5.
>>
You won't ruin the steak or anything, but it does improve the final product in my experience.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.