[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the fucking point?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: 71Wz-TpWmIL._SY679_.jpg (38 KB, 280x679) Image search: [Google]
71Wz-TpWmIL._SY679_.jpg
38 KB, 280x679
What's the fucking point?
>>
>>7644929
to remind you why good spices exist
>>
>>7644929
to make a.) everything red and b.) lumps into your scrambled eggs
>>
If you want to make things red, without changing the taste much, Paprika is right for you.

Although Paprika flavor chips are nice.
>>
>>7644951
>without changing the taste much
you sound like you dont have taste buds.
>>
>>7644967
He probably just buys macormics spices.
>>
>>7644967
Paprika is the most pathetic of spices, languishing down in the bottom leagues along with herbs such as the bay leaf and dried parsley.
>>
File: SZEGED-HUNGARIAN-PAPRIKA-MILD.jpg (64 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
SZEGED-HUNGARIAN-PAPRIKA-MILD.jpg
64 KB, 475x475
None of you are doing right
>>
>>7644983
I use that plus minced garlic, sea salt and ground pepper on my beef ribs.
>>
>>7644967
I can't taste it, I'm not sure if I'm defective.
>>
>>7644929
Buy good quality Paprika powder and you will see the point. Cheap stuff is only good for colouring food.
>>
File: dviledeggs.jpg (55 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
dviledeggs.jpg
55 KB, 550x366
to garnish deviled eggs

a few shakes, walah!
>>
mccormicks spices are shit-tier. ground spices lose their efficacy fairly quickly. mccormicks sit on a shelf for months before even getting to the store, and then they'll sit in the store for months before you buy them. then they sit in your pantry for months before you use them all up. no wonder you can't taste them. buy whole spices and grind them yourself or buy fresh ground spices from a reputable market.
>>
The flavor of paprika really comes out in stews and chilis. It's not terribly strong but it works with with other flavors.
>>
>>7645047
You should make it clear that "cheap" and "good quality" are not about price. McCormick is neither cheap nor good quality. It's expensive and poor quality.

>>7644929
There are different sorts of paprika, each with a different taste suited to different things. Some are very delicate while others are just straight up bland. On top of this, how you use paprika will also alter its taste. For example, you can cook delicacy-grade (csemege) paprika in oil to bring out its pungency and a slight bitterness, but unheated, it's sweet and lacks pungency. I don't understand how heat makes it turn pungent.

Also, use more of it. I notice Amerifriends use a dusting of the stuff and call it a day. You need more. Paprika is not about zen. 'Less is more' does not apply. More is more. So use more.

During my time in the US, I've tried McCormick and it is just fucking bland. It's awful. While not great, I am surprised at Aldi in the US and how their paprika is actually pretty good. It's much cheaper than other paprika available in the country and is perfect for everyday use. If you've decided that you hate paprika and want no parts of it, ignore me, but otherwise, give Aldi's paprika a try and report back.
>>
Get some smoked paprika son.
>>
>>7645761
This, goddamn.

Use shitty spices you have shitty flavors. I used to balk at paying over $5 for a little bottle of spice, but that extra hit of money goes a long way. You use less of the spice because it is so potent.

I bought 1 container of smoked spicy paprika and one container of sweet and never looked back at shitty McCormick. They have both lasted over a year and lost little for their potency and flavor. I might use 1 1/2 tsp instead of 1, but I'm okay with that.
>>
>>7645772
I'm the guy you're referencing.
I eat what is considered a lot of paprika by my friends and neighbours, just shy of a half kilo per year. The average Hungarian consumes over double that annually.
Two of the littler containers you're talking about wouldn't last me anywhere near as long as they last you!
>>
>>7644983
>>
File: NbFr18i.webm (3 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
NbFr18i.webm
3 MB, 320x320
If you doubt paprika, do this.
>>
>>7644983
Yeah that's the good good
>>
>>7645874
This is pretty much what I eat every day, I just rotate different meats, spices and pasta/rice.
>>
File: paprika-sour-cream-sauce.jpg (247 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
paprika-sour-cream-sauce.jpg
247 KB, 1024x680
you gotta mix a fuck ton of it into a rich/fatty sauce.

it brings out true flavor of the paprika.
>>
>>7645886
Do you live by yourself by chance? I'm planning to move out soon to live by myself for the first time and I'm planning to make something like that every few days. It's so easy and like you said, it can easily be swapped for other things for variety.
>>
File: Grilled_Flattened_Chicken_stag.jpg (1 MB, 1500x841) Image search: [Google]
Grilled_Flattened_Chicken_stag.jpg
1 MB, 1500x841
put a thick layer on some chicken or meat, and grill.

it forms a crunchy crust. delicious.
>>
>>7645905
God damn, that corn looks good. I can do without the bacon though.
>>
>>7645806
Just curious, what would be a reasonable price to pay for this product?
>>
>>7644983
This is the stuff I get. It's got a nice, subtle, earthy flavor, and paprikas just isn't the same without it, although I have at times used Spanish paprika as well as Hungarian, with nice results.

>>7645761
>Aldi
This. I wasn't sure if this was still the case but I used to have some Hungarian friends who would swear by Aldi's brand.
>>
>>7645896
Indeed. I just get whatever vegetables are in season (cheapest), and whatever's on sale at the butcher shop.
>>
>>7645919
It's $4 for a can of it at my local shop. Dunno if that's average but it's perfectly reasonable to me. I've paid more for shittier paprika before.
>>
>>7645931
Nice. Do you have any tips for making it?
>>
So where do I get good spices guys?
>>
>>7645937
Fuck lol it was almost $10 on amazon.

>>7645931
Economical and delicious. Good on you, mate. I'm gonna make something similar next time I get some meat.
>>
>>7645938
No, sorry. I just wing it. The only tip I could give you would be "don't skimp on the garlic"
>>
>>7645947
Was it for the 4oz. can? Because if it was, then that's definitely a ripoff. If you have World Market, I see it for $5 on their website.
>>
>>7644929
>brown paprika

You have made a mistake, OP
>>
>>7645950
Thanks man. Gonna love making this.
>>
>>7645915
yeah bacon wrapped corn. come the fuck on.
>>
>>7644983

Fuck yeah, that's the shit right there.
>>
I like to mix paprika, turmeric and marjoram into my dishes just because I have disposal income and it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something when I shake the bottles
>>
Paprika makes a fine base for a bbq rub.
>>
To have the flavour of sweet peppers.
You should get the Hungarian stuff.
>expecting McCormick to be good
>>
>>7644983

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2015/04/22/szegedin-goulash-szekely-gulyas/

Ma nigga.
>>
>>7646154
>http://www.daringgourmet.com/2015/04/22/szegedin-goulash-szekely-gulyas/

It's sublime seeing how red real goulash is.
>>
Smoked paprika is superior.
>>
>>7646157

I make this once a month or so, you gotta use pork rib meat and real european kraut.
>>
Put some all spice on some ground turkey today. The smell was atrocious, maybe i put too much on
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.