[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I made a béchamel sauce, then added a pound of cheese to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: bred.jpg (154 KB, 704x864) Image search: [Google]
bred.jpg
154 KB, 704x864
If I made a béchamel sauce, then added a pound of cheese to it, then let it cool.

Then I mixed this into a basic quick bread (flour, salt, baking powder or soda).

Would it work? Would it bake properly? Would it taste good?

Basically I just want a more convenient "cheese on bread" but none of the recipes out there are really ideal.
>>
>>7643701
Kill yourself, faggot
>>
Thing is, bechamel is just butter, flour, and milk. You could just add the butter and milk to your dry ingredients and make a quick bread.

I highly doubt it would turn out the way you want it. Why not try this recipe instead? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17872/quick-and-easy-cheese-bread/
>>
File: bred2.jpg (404 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
bred2.jpg
404 KB, 1200x900
>>7643728
They all turn out like this, with specks of cheese throughout. I'd prefer that the cheese disappear completely into the bread, and cheese sauce was the best idea I could come up with, next to cheese powder (which I don't have access to, unless I just bought several boxes of macaroni and cheese but that sounds gross kind of).
>>
>>7643741
Just checked, they apparently sell powdered cheese on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Powder-1-lb/dp/B00016LZT8
>>
>>7643752
I'm not really comfortable buying food online, but I appreciate you trying to help.
>>
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work in theory provided you adjusted the recipe accordingly. You're adding a lot more liquid and a lot more fat than the dough would typically have. You can't change a recipe like that and expect it to turn out the same. You'd have to be prepared to make and ruin a lot of bread trying to find the perfect (or a good enough) ratio and keep track of the measurements and methods you're using each time.

Don't do this if you're after convenience or hate to waste food, but it could be a fun learning experience if you find joy in cooking.
>>
>>7643759
Upon giving this some thought, I've determined that the best way to accomplish what you're trying to do is through two means: increasing the amount of cheese in any given recipe, and decreasing the size of each particle of cheese.

Powdered cheese is obviously the best choice, but the next best option would be taking finely shredded cheese and putting it through a food processor (with a couple spoons of flour to prevent clumping). I'd give that a try before starting experiments with bechamel.
>>
>>7643741
It looks like your pieces of cheese are too large. Cut them into smaller pieces or do this >>7643773

I used to make cheese bread all the time and I never had any problems because I diced my cheese finely and also chose a cheese that melted easily.
>>
>>7643701
Sounds similar to the tangzhong process, but
>a more convenient "cheese on bread"

Seriously?
>Put cheese on bread.
>Heat.
Is too inconvenient for you?
>>
>>7643701
>>7643701
i sometimes buy this cheese loaf from my grocery store. it's very very good. it reeks of cheddar in the best way possible. it has veins of cheese in it and then also has cheese on the top. if you're comfortable paying 6$ for a loaf then by all means go for it. otherwise why not put the cheese on top of the bread as its baking? if you do that, don't put the cheese into a bechamel sauce and then on top of the bread. it'd be far too greasy and wet

my suggestion to you would be to make the dough how you would regularly make it. then get one of those long blocks of cheese and cut it length wise into 1/8th inch pieces. cut up your dough into equal sized pieces, flatten it out to the length and width of your bread tin, layer the dough with the cheese, let it rise, bake it according to directions, put some cheddar on top and broil it for a few extra minutes.

the picture is what the store brought bread looked like. let me know if this has been helpful i would love to see what you end up doing

also you can purchase cheese powder in bulk food stores. i wouldn't be too worried about purchasing stuff like cheese powder online. it's not like it's meat dairy or produce. i mean it's dairy, sure. but it's not going to spoil

also when i want cheese on bread i take a slice of white bread, cut up some 3 year old aged cheddar and pop it in the broiler for a few minutes. it might not be convenient to make it every time you want it but you can just cut up the cheese with a knife, no need to dirty a grater. and it's not like you'd have to go out of your way to make cheese bread
>>
>>7643728
Bechamel is more than the sum of its parts, when prepared, bechamel is cooked milk with cooked flour and cooked butter.
>>
Bechamel is an emulsified cheese sauce, so I don't really seen it working with other bread ingredients, especially chilled.

I was going to say to just mix shredded/grated cheese into your dough, but apparently you're just being autistic and don't want it speckled. Maybe use a cheese the same color as the dough so that it "disappears"? I had a goat cheese sourdough bread one time that was amazing, and you couldn't tell there was cheese in it just by looking at it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.