[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why a six quart Le Creuset dutch oven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
Can someone explain to me why a six quart Le Creuset dutch oven costs nearly 600 dollars while a nearly identical one branded 'Lodge' costs only 150?
>>
>>7638410
Same reason why a designer-brand T shirt costs $100 while a functionally identical one from Wal-Mart costs $9. Name recognition.

Heck, I'd rather have the Lodge anyway; Le Crueset has been making things thinner and thinner as years go by, and that's counterproductive for a dutch oven.
>>
>>7638417
So I can safely buy a Lodge with no worries?
>>
File: dutch oven.jpg (103 KB, 1024x900) Image search: [Google]
dutch oven.jpg
103 KB, 1024x900
>still using archaic enameled cast iron
>not space-age ceramics

You can get a CorningWare A-5-B in eBay for less than $50.
>>
>>7638434
You can't sear meats on a stove with ceramics.
>>
>>7638576
Aren't you supposed to sear the meat before you cook it anyway?
>>
>>7638583

Yeah, but you want to do that in the cooking vessel so that the fond is retained.

I suppose you could brown it in a skillet, then deglaze it and pour the liquid into your braising vessel but why bother to get two pans dirty?
>>
>>7638434

Bought the Lodge one as pictured by OP for $49 at a Buc-cee's gas station of all places
>>
>>7638434
I have like four of those that my mom gave me. I use them to store shit in the fridge.
>>
>>7638434

Go to bed mom.

>mom actually has half a dozen matching le creuset pieces
>>
>>7638410
Chinashit
>>
One won't stain or chip and one will
>>
i wouldn't ever recommend an enamelled casserole especially if you plan on using it regularly

i've been using a Le Creuset for years, and you actually have to take care of it, cos it'll get fucked easily. plus it is ridiculously heavy, and the handles aren't even insulated

cooking in them is decent, but nothing special
>>
>>7638576
>implying

Pyroceram works just fine on the stove.
>>
>>7638621
>plus it is ridiculously heavy

You say that like it's a bad thing. Cookware for braising is supposed to be heavy.

>>and the handles aren't even insulated
Duh, if they were insulated then it wouldn't be oven safe!
>>
>>7638599
Stop masturbating in your room all day and get a job.
>>
>>7638621
How about straight cast iron, no enamel?

I'm looking to do big heavy slow-braising one pot dinners. I know cast iron reacts, with acidity but I can do tomatoes in something different I guess.
>>
>>7638634
I wouldn't listen to that post's advice, anon.

>How about straight cast iron, no enamel?
That's more care than enameled is. Enameled CI cookware requires no special care. That's the point of it: it's low care.
>>
>>7638621

>you actually have to take care of it

Jesus christ...
>>
>>7638634
CorningWare. You can take a single pan from the stove to the oven to the freezer to the microwave. It's non-reactive and is pretty much impossible to permanently stain.
>>
>>7638638
>Enameled CI cookware requires no special care. That's the point of it: it's low care.
Well that was the impression I was under until a minute ago.
>>
>>7638646

And you're going to let some moron sway that opinion with no explanation at all?
>>
>>7638644
Doesn't it have inferior uneven heat retention?
>>
>>7638652
Well I'll consider anything and everything and talk it out for at least a minute or so.
>>
>>7638653
Uneven heat and heat retention are two different things. Heat retention of ceramics is excellent, and I'm fairly certain ceramic is going to have better heat distribution than cast iron (which is pretty terrible).
>>
>>7638422
no, their enameled cast iron is chinese and chinese cast iron is BAD NEWS BEARS
>>
>>7638668

Ceramic is worse than cast iron as far as both thermal conductivity (even heating) and specific heat (retention) are concerned.

However, if the ceramic is a lot thicker than the CI then that could help.
>>
>>7638634
just get cast iron and dont worry about tomatoes. so long as youre not making xenomorph blood soup, acidity is just a meme
>>
>>7638634
Just get a big aluminum pot. You can probably find a volrath with a lid from a restaurant supply or something like that cheaper than a large Dutch oven. If you're dead set on having a Dutch oven, I would just go normal cast iron. Enamel aren't bad, and they're a little less care intensive, but they're less durable and more expensive.
>>
>>7638795
it sounds terrible but skimming around rich neighborhood yard sales has net me quite a few le creuset ceramic pots
>>
>>7638946
That isn't terrible. I think it's a good option too. You might even find some at thrift stores, but I would imagine they get snatched up fairly quickly if they're in good condition. People do love to collect that as much as, if not more than, vintage cast iron.
>>
Always wanted one of these. Look at how kawaii it is!

But you can't put the lids in an oven higher than 375F so no point
>>
>>7638417
>shirt costs $100 while a functionally identical one from Wal-Mart costs $9

would never buy either
>>
>>7638410
what is so special about both ?

they look really nice but is there a perk to them ?
>>
>>7638642
not him, but they infer in the advertising as indestructible and maintenance free.
>>
>>7640983
Cast iron Dutch ovens with enamel coating

A) retain heat extremely well
B) conduct heat extremely well
C) have a very heavy domed lid that seals
D) often have self-braising ridges on the lid
E) don't require seasoning like raw cast iron and is dishwasher safe

Basically, you can sear meats at high temperature on the stove, keep the fond in the same pot, put the whole thing in the oven, and braise it for hours with all the moisture locked in.

People in the thread are saying corning-wear does all the same shit, but it just doesn't conduct or hold heat as well, so searing is trickier.
>>
>>7638990
That one has a metal knob so it can go up to 500.
>>
>>7638576
Noob here. Can you tell me why you can't sear meat with ceramic or clay pots/pans? My understanding is that they get very hot, just like cast iron. But nobody use them for this purpose, why is that?
>>
>>7641474
>conduct heat extremely well
false
the reason you can sear is more due to the heat retention rather than the conductive properties. enameled cast iron and cast iron are shit in terms of heat conduction.
>>
I bought the same size Le Creuset (new) recently from Amazon in the UK for 120GBP - around $170. So of your $600 most is import duty, shipping, etc. Have a look to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere and keep an eye out for web deals.

Why do they cost more than cheaper brands? There is a premium for quality; Le Creuset have better quality control and their coating is more durable. So they will last longer. But in terms of cooking the difference between Le Creuset and Lodge is probably minor.
>>
>>7642098

I bought 2 le creuset,one tagine,one very large stew pot to complete the collection of my ex and it costed me £260..
In central London ..
I loved cooking with them..
At work we use something else,
Can't remember the name or spelling though..
>>
>>7642071
Okay retention then. The point stands.
>>
>>7642136
>At work we use something else
Staub.
>>
>>7641982
Ceramic has piss poor conductivity. That's why it's used in heat shields.
Clay cookware has to be soaked and can't be heated too quickly or unevenly. It will crack.
>>
>>7638410
Because Le Creuset has DAT HEIRLOOM COLORS, anon

Seriously though, I've had a Lodge for years now and it's been great. And it was only $72 on Amazon, I don't know where you're getting this $150 figure.
>>
>>7638576
>You can't sear meats on a stove with ceramics
you most certainly can
>>
>>7638410
If you're still deciding I'm gonna quickly mention; when you but one of these you're buying it for LIFE. So don't hesitate because getting the better recognised and more highly recommended one would probably be more beneficial to you.

I'm not the greatest salesperson and I don't claim to be, but I think that's just common sense.
>>
>tfw your Creuset is one of your most prized possessions
>>
File: Staub-Open.jpg (1 MB, 2607x2120) Image search: [Google]
Staub-Open.jpg
1 MB, 2607x2120
>>7638410
speaking as someone who owns a couple staub dutch ovens (bought at full price) and a full le creuset pots and pan set (bought used) I would have to go with Staub hands down. The creuset is nice, its pretty, iconic, and versatile. At the end of the day though itsceramic coated cast iron (most of the pieces) which in itself is fantastic. It's not made of chinese bullshit and feels nice to use. The staub though is all those things, but better in every way. They are more aesthetically pleasing, have a well thought out lid design, the materials feel more heavy duty, and the handles if not made of the material the pot is made of, are nickle. Not plastic bullshit.

Why does it cost 600 (which is way too much to pay for this product)? It's not made in china (or if it is, dont buy it), has a premium look and feel, and is iconic. It's really nice to cook with, in terms of feel, a lodge would be comparable, but the ceramic coating makes the experience nicer.

Look on sites like cutleryandmore or just look for a sale and buy a staub. you should pay more than a couple hundred bucks.
>>
File: Volaille-Demi-Deuil.jpg (110 KB, 1800x1198) Image search: [Google]
Volaille-Demi-Deuil.jpg
110 KB, 1800x1198
>>7643906
>should pay more than a couple hundred bucks.

SHOULDN'T pay more
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.