[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1462026620456.png (446 KB, 700x740) Image search: [Google]
1462026620456.png
446 KB, 700x740
I'm moving out soon and don't really know how to cook. I can make hamburger helper type of things if I have a recipe but other than that I'm clueless. I'd prefer healthy foods.

Any guides or recipes I should start practicing?
>>
Google it.

We're too busy cooking to babysit you.
>>
Google recipe
Cook recipe
Repeat

Use youtube if you can't figure out how to prepare a certain ingredient or apply a certain technique
>>
>FUCK YEAT SPLATOON!!

scrambled eggs. its usually where all cooks start off .

fairly easy with a bit of practice, introduces you to several basic aspects of cooking (coating with oil, temperature control, adding spices)
>>
File: fried-egg.jpg (470 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
fried-egg.jpg
470 KB, 1600x1200
As other mention, google it, get the recipe, and follow it. Frying an egg is a good way to start learning how to cook.
>>
>>7631852
Homie, if you can read and measure, you can cook. Find a simple recipe cookbook, or a beginners cookbook and work off of that. Easier than having a computer in the kitchen, and you can get it dirty without worrying.

Once you do a bunch of cooking, move on to more advanced recipes.
>>
Chicken fried rice is a good start.

It's a lot of simple dishes made with different basic techniques (Fried egg, cooked chicken, boiled rice, chopped veggies) combined into a single dish.

The advantage of chicken fried rice also is that it's a good introduction to cooking with poultry. Since it's made to be broken apart, you can easily see the inside of the chicken to make sure it's thoroughly cooked and you'll get a general idea for how it's supposed to feel and look.

If friends ask me for cooking advice, chicken fried rice is my go-to starter kit.
>>
>>7632085

Since when is a stir-fry a good introductory dish?

Either you're proposing a fake-ass stir-fry, or you're dealing with levels of heat and speed that are inappropriate for new cooks. Both are problematic.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 600x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 600x394
>>7631852
>piss in bottle
>store bottle
>drink as you desire
>healthy
>rinse and repeat
>>
File: dNVvntX[1].gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
dNVvntX[1].gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>7632090
>problematic
>>
>>7631852
For fun watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8vd4X3IGg

then to learn watch these
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtgc70_gordon-ramsay-s-ultimate-cookery-course-s01e01-getting-started_lifestyle

Supplimental:
Cooking with dog
Runny runny 999
serious eats blogs.
>>
>>7632147
one thing not to do that ramsay does though is spoon shit in a non stick fry pan with a metal spoon. silicon will work but plastic will melt and metal will scratch the pan.
>>
>>7631852
use youtube for knife techniques, and google for recipes. IMO, recipes from foodnetwork and allrecipes are usually bland and downright bad. Epicurious isn't bad, and food.com is alright too as far as introductory stuff goes.

I would start with pasta
>>
>>7631852
Depends what cuisine you're interested in. Wikipedia is honestly a great resource.

Learn what a simmer is vs a rolling boil, learn unit conversions for oz to lb and teaspoon to cup. Learn to extract the important bits from recipes so that you don't rely on them for step by step guidance. Learn what a stock is, and what deglazing is. Look up the term mirepoix. Look up the maillard reaction.

Cooking as as simple as understanding the nature of your ingredients. Recipes can give you an understanding of how dishes come together, but you must cook to understand WHY recipes work as they do.

Use all of your senses, and trust them. I recommend soups, especially for beginners. They save perfectly well, they're a bit foolproof, and they'll give you plenty of practice in using veggies to make a flavor base and then adding other things to this.
>>
google things you'd like to try and pick a version of the recipe. yeah it really is that easy to get started.

Y'know how people who are seen as the family's tech support person are mystified and frustrated that others don't get that their secret to solving computer problems is mostly "if i don't already know what i'm doing, use google?" cooking's actually that way too, though with less bitterness because family members who can't into computers typically demand assistance while those who can't cook just eat garbage. google is the secret knowledge source for all of us who didn't grow up learning from our parents, basically.

as for personal recommendations, figure out what ways you enjoy eating veggies and get that preparation down that's the hardest part of eating right for me.
>>
Just get take-out.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.