[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Scotch /ck/? I don't live in Europe or USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
How do I into Scotch /ck/?

I don't live in Europe or USA but can order from either.

What brands to try, and how to enjoy?
>>
>>7631433
>Scotch
>enjoy
you can't
>>
>>7631433
It's an acquired taste Op, it's something that does take time to drift into and find your niche.

Just try blends for now and if later you feel like moving onto single Malts, then by all means, splash out a bit.

Without getting too silly, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are popular here in Britain. Drink as is, or perhaps with ice or water.
>>
>>7631433
Are you interested in Scotch exclusively or are you also interested in whiskey from other regions?
>>
File: 1461118719053.jpg (132 KB, 1298x960) Image search: [Google]
1461118719053.jpg
132 KB, 1298x960
>>7631433
>scotch
>>
Try the basic expression from a few different distilleries to get a handle on the sort of thing you like. Take a sip straight to see what it's like, but for drinking you ought to add a little water until it's diluted enough for you that the alcohol doesn't overpower. If you're buying just for yourself, try to get your next one before you finish the first one so you can compare. If you have enough like minded friends though, get everyone to chip in for a few bottles and have a poker night.

As a rough rule, I think lowlands whiskies tend to be light and floral, highlands and Speyside ones get richer and more honey-like, and island / Islay whiskies are powerful and very smoky. Some relatively representative distilleries:
Glenkinchie (lowlands)
Glenmorangie (highlands)
Glenfiddich (speyside)
Bowmore (islay)

Peat is one of the more unique things people associate with Scotch, and Laphroaig is a good example of something at the extreme end of the peat spectrum. Lagavulin is nicer, but it's usually quite expensive. Don't feel like you need to keep going peatier though, it can be overdone like the whole hops thing.
>>
>>7632712
I'm in agreement with this, save for one change: ditch the Bowmore. What it lacks in peat, it makes up for in ash, which blends with the smoky flavor to make it taste like the inside of a burning building. I would recommend Ardbeg instead, or Laphroaig if you're feeling adventurous.
>>
no scotch, drink brandy if you want to look classy
>>
File: JWBlack.jpg (86 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
JWBlack.jpg
86 KB, 1000x1000
>>7631433
I say try some blended, then move onto single malt. compare the differences and what you liked and didn't about them.
>>
>>7633465
Of all the blends you had to go for "The paint varnish V2"? For the same price, if not less you could get a Dimple, which is much smoother and a more pleasurable experience for a newfag.
>>
You drink Canadian or Kentucky whiskey and throw the scotch in the toilet
>>
>>7631433
drinking spirits is a retarded hobby
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.