[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How realistic is this show in terms of how often the food is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 140605hells-kitchen1.jpg (59 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
140605hells-kitchen1.jpg
59 KB, 640x440
How realistic is this show in terms of how often the food is being food being cooked improperly?
>>
>>7617204
everything that they show is usually exactly how he says. raw or burnt or just cooked shitty
>>
I thought I heard the staff will tinker and fudge with the stoves between tapings or during service.

That, unqualified chefs who get hired for entertainment value, and good old editing is why so much bad food seems to go up. But what goes up is as shitty as it appears, yes.
>>
It's American reality TV. It's more fake and scripted than wrestling
>>
>>7617204
i was always amazed that the chefs would send up food that was clearly shitty
>>
>>7617204
Why can trained cooks never cook scallops or risotto? It seems to be things fucked up most.
>>
>>7617646

/thread
>>
>>7617697
The funny thing is those 2 things are super easy to make.
>>
File: 23792-l-cey-hk-.jpg (25 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
23792-l-cey-hk-.jpg
25 KB, 300x400
>>7617642
>unqualified chefs who get hired for entertainment value

Not only was she hired for being unqualified, they intentionally moved her around to avoid elimination and always chose someone else to eliminate.
>>
>>7617697
Because they're dishes most Americans don't eat so it's believable to the audience that a chef might fuck them up.
>>
the staff in a restaurant usually have a fuckton more practice and prep than on the show, plus they definitely engineer some fuckups AND they only let in the most volatile shitheads who audition

minor fuckups do happen daily in any kitchen though.
>>
>>7617697
>>7617705

try making them repeatedly for 2 hours to very specific timings in a busy kitchen and you will see why they fuck it up

being a good chef isn't about being able to cook everything, it's about churning stuff out consistently over the course of a service.
>>
>>7618119

this. Not to mention that the show is edited. There are dozens of hours of video shot for every 30 min that gets shown on TV. The boring stuff gets cut out, and the mistakes get hyped up.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 640x359
This is now a Sarah thread.
>>
>>7618108
>>7617705
Show me a chef/cook who says he's never overcooked a scallop or fucked up a risotto and I'll show you a liar.
Those two are extremely easy to fuck up, because the margins are very slim. A thirty second distraction is the difference between a perfect scallop, and a rubber ball. To say they're easy to cook because you can cook five of them at a time in your home kitchen, in your own time, with no distractions other than possibly the TV, and doing nothing else equaly critical at the same time, is a tad disingenuous.

If I shower you with orders that each have to be completed within a very specific time window unrelated to their cooking time, and you have to juggle five, ten or twenty of those at once, you will drop the ball. You probably won't even remember the orders half-way through.
>>
Eaxctly what this guy said >>7618424

Even simple things that you do everyday become much more difficult under pressure.

The difference between these shows and real kitchens, is pros are taught, throw it out, start again. Focus and build systems to help deal with it. Even with all that, mistakes get made, just don't make it worse by serving it.
>>
Let's not forget they par boil their rice for the risotto on the show before service to make sure it doesn't take 20 damn minutes to cook. It's easy to over cook something that's almost finished to begin with.
>>
>>7617697
You're not just cooking scallops or risotto on a line hello. You'd probably have 3 of each going at the same time. And a whole lot of other shit.

And they are a lot more unforgiving than other foods if you fuck up.
>>
I hate these kinds of threads because the people that post in it probably have never been in a real kitchen.

Working under pressure is actual dicks. The camera is just catching all the drama.
>>
I worked with a bitch that I later saw on HK. She placed 3rd on the show. That spot is always for the trouble maker.

But in the real restaurant, after 3 weeks I told chef I was going to give my two weeks notice. She couldn't be worked with! Chef said just a minute now. The next day they shipped her to the next town north corporate restaurant.

The funniest part of the HK was after the finale. Ramsey said to her after the winner was announced,
"I love you *****, but your such a bitch. LoL"
Been a fan of his since.

But I would guess a lot of the fuckups are caused by tampering. Its not hard to cook, when you got all you need at arms length.
>>
>>7618821
What season?
>>
>>7618836
I forget .probly 5-6 years ago. Elise was the name
>>
>>7617204

You're asking this about the judge who voted for a stripper who ran around the kitchen in her fuck me heels and gave him a bj with her eyes at every judging.

And you ask about food quality?
>>
>>7618873
Do you really think Ramsey is picking each weeks winner? There's only 4-5 quality cooks per season.
I highly doubt he has say so of the shit cooks getting gone. Hell he might have no say in who stays till the finale. It is TV
>>
>>7618893

But isn't he an executive producer?
>>
>>7618919
I don't know, anything on TV has to looked at like make believe, even reality TV . but if he does get choice in who stays or goes, best bj would be reason to keep someone around. Its not like they'll make final two usually.
>>
>>7618941
>>7618893
>>7618919
Usually on shows like this, the decision process includes all of the producers and even some lawyers and shit.
>>
>>7619166
Lawyers huh? Yeah I wonder how many people have tried to go back and sue the show for kicking them off
>>
Obligatory Raj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJVk4q7RUE
>>
>>7618844
>>7618836
Elise's elimination off season 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEB2xWO6omw
>>
>>7619554
Good stuff, thanks for the link anon.
>>
Season 14 was surprisingly good, probably the most levelheaded and overall good contestants the show has had in a long time. Season 4 is still the best though.

>>7619554
I remember her, yeah she was a bitch. But Tommy (guy with the tattoos) was a total bro, he's one of my favorite HK contestants.
>>
>>7618124
>>7618424
I'll bite:
First off, it's more like 4 hours, then 2 hours of not being slammed. It's really not that hard. Sure, it'll come out a little over or under cooked at times, but never to the degree portrayed on the show; never RAW. It's ridiculous.
> A thirty second distraction
Wut. There is nothing that's going to distract you from cooking for 30 seconds unless you're texting. 10 seconds maybe. If you're breaking an egg to make a caesar, you turn around and stir your risotto before finishing the dressing. Then turn around and flip your scallops, turn the heat down on the sarda, push the risotto to the back burner, throw a pan on for the next risotto,
and THEN finish building the salad.
>twenty of those at once
But it looks like from what little I've watched, each person has a station that cooks maybe 3 or 4 different items.
I mean, I get what you are saying, but there's no excuse for them to plate RAW food...
except that's what the producers want because they need to create a sense of false urgency for the ticking clock.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.