[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 19
File: rice.jpg (472 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
472 KB, 2048x2048
Lets talk about rice.

I've always been a long grain white man myself, I can get white rice so cheap that whenever I wanted basmati, I have to pay more than triple the cost.

There's one thing that's always troubled me however, what's the best way to cook it?

I've always been the type to follow the instructions on the packaging, but I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of them - they often seem designed to be foolproof, rather than actually good.

Anyway, /ck/ educate me, this is how I've been cooking my boiled rice, and I would like to be told why I suck:
Wash my cheap-ass rice.
Pour one cup of water into a pan.
Half-fill the same cup with rice.
Bring the water to boil, on a stove in a pan.
Add the rice [I've seen some recipes recommend that you return the water to boil here, I've never noticed any difference from doing this, so I don't bother].
Stir once.
[sometimes add a pinch of salt here, no fucking clue if it actually makes a difference]
Put lid on pan, reduce heat.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve.

To make a long story short, this works, but I can't praise it for its taste, although it still beats the shit out of anything where you cook it for like 15. Other than that, the only issue I've faced with rice is grain separation, for whatever fucking reason, my roomate likes his grains totally fucking separate, the only way I know of to do this is be a pleb and microwave, which I hate doing since it makes the rice totally fucking tasteless. Any tips for how to do it with a stove?
>>
Rice cooker man. Unless youre an old nip, spic, or indian making it out of the pot is a bitch. Some people say wash the rice first but it makes the shit to fluffy.
>>
>>7611703
>Rice cooker man
I don't get it, we've cooked rice for literally thousands of years without them. If we needed one to make good rice, rice wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.
>>
>>7611792

Kinda like toast, right?
>>
>>7611792
We did lots of stuff for thousands of years that have been improved because of technology. Rice and rice cookers are one of those things. Unlike toast where its just annoying to make without a toaster rice actually comes out better when cooked in a quality rice cooker.
>>
>>7611793
Bread based stuff used to be pretty damn good, go ask /fit/, for weird reasons, /fit/ are bread experts.

>>7611800
>We did lots of stuff for thousands of years that have been improved because of technology.
True.

>Rice and rice cookers are one of those things.
Fair enough... I suppose I can't contest that without owning a rice cooker, although anything I've seen from people who are big on rice always advocates the stove, which I hope is for good reason.
>>
>>7611806
>brown rice master race.
Mastering brown is my plan for next year, but I've bought such a huge bulk of white that I'm hoping to master white first.
>>
Lightly saute a cup of rice in a bit of oil in the pot
Pour 2 cups boiling water
Throw a tbsp of salt and a garlic clove in there
Cook for ~20mins on low heat or until there's no water left

That's literally what I do every two days
>>
>>7611792
>Natural gas stoves and electric refrigerators.

I don't get it, we've cooked food for literally thousands of years without them. If we needed them to make good food, food wouldnt be anywhere near as popular as it is.

Just go to amazon and buy the top rated rice cooker. Its like 20$ and involves less work than cooking on the stove for the same result.
>>
>>7611815
I'd say that's not a fair comparison, based on the fact that fridges save you time, money and give you access to food that you wouldn't otherwise have, and the stoves is just more convenient than having to start a fucking fire.

But, I suppose you could make the argument that a rice cooker is more convenient than a stove...

Fuck it then, assuming I want to use a stove, what is the best way?

Also, don't stoves make it easiest to season than a rice cooker would?
>>
>>7611807
>anything I've seen from people who are big on rice always advocates the stove, which I hope is for good reason.

Its better from a good rice cooker. Always. But it has to be quality. You should get one its pretty easy to find a good one

>Does it have a locking lid and not a pot lid
>Is the manufacturer Japanese
>Does it cost atleast 100 dollars

If it passes that it will be good and then its just deciding on how large and what features you want it to have
>>
>>7611616
WHOOOOOOAAAAA

What is with the big mystery here?

Cooking rice is so damn easy and it works for all kinds of savoury rice (long, jasmin or basmati)

Wash it 5-6 times in cold water until it runs clear.

>Throw rice in pan
>cover rice with nearly 1/2" water (add salt if needed)
>bring to boil
>Boil
>Dimples form in rice as water boils off
>Water nearly gone
>hear a 'crack or two'
>remove from heat, stir, cover
>do not touch for at least 10 mins.
>stir
Perfect Rice.
>>
>>7611838
Fuck it, I'll try this on Saturday, but that sounds easy to burn, and vague.
>>
>>7611879
What he's saying is you have to wait for the water to be gone.

What I do is put some tin foil as a cover to reflect the IR radiation. Yeah and then just wait until the sound has gone from a light simmer to the sound of frying. Of course doneness level is a matter of preference, and the amount of water will be the primary determinant of doneness
>>
>>7611838
>Not simmering rice
>>
>>7611908
Enjoy your gloopy mess.
>>
>>7611913
Enjoy your cremation.
>>
>>7611946
You have never cooked rice before have you?

I hope Uncle Ben serves you well but screencap my post and try it . . . .. . then criticize!
>>
>>7611703 I make it out of a pot all the time, but I'm a spic so fuck you got me there

OP, here's what I do on the stove top:

I don't rinse my rice but sure go for it if you want
Measure out ratio of rice to water of approximately 1:1.75
Put a bit of olive oil in the pot and swirl to cover the bottom
Heat on medium heat until the oil swirls like water
Throw a smashed clove of garlic or two in the oil, should hear the sizzle so you know the oil is up to temp before you add rice and water
Add rice and then the water
Add a pinch of salt or some other seasoning if you want. Here's where you throw in the Sazon if you're making yellow rice.
Stir with a fork
Cover and allow it to bring to a boil
Once you can see steam coming out of the sides of the pot, turn the heat down very low
Don't touch it. Seriously, no touching.
I usually clean or something and wait until my apartment smells of rice. Probably about 10 minutes
Check the rice by just pushing at the edge to see if any water is left
If finished cooking, take off the heat and fluff with fork. Allow it to sit for a minute or two with the top off.

Comes out perfect. Never burned rice and doesn't come out like glue.
>>
>>7611952
OP's said he's trying it on sat. Watch him burn it.
>>
>>7611996
It shouldn't burn

Funnily enough, I've eaten burnt rice before .. . .I was told it was traditional .. . being a Brit, I was polite and ate it anyway, so as not to offend.

But apparently it's quite a big thing with Persians, they literally fight for the burnt rice, I thought I was being fobbed off with a crap excuse but it's true.
>>
>>7612019

It's a thing all over the place. The really high-end Japanese rice cookers have a function that does this on purpose.
>>
>>7611811
>in a bit of oil
>>7611954
>a bit of olive oil
Doesn't that make it fried rice? The /fit/ in me hurts.
>>
I love jasmine rice, and I occasionally make it myself if i'm going to be using it as an ingredient. If i'm eating it by itself, I actually prefer it in a rice cooker.
>>
>>7612046
No
>>
>>7612046

No. The technique those people are describing is simply to coat the grains of rice in a little oil before proceeding to boil/steam it.

Fried rice is made totally differently. First the rice is boiled. Then it's cooled down and dried a little. That is then fried.

You can certainly skip the oil if you want, though given the small amounts involved it's hardly unhealthy.
>>
>>7612046
Fried rice is taking already cooked rice and browning it in oil and seasonings over heat.

And if you're honestly concerned about the health effects of half a tablespoon of olive oil, I don't know how to help you. Fats, especially healthy fats, are a natural part of your diet
>>
>>7611811
is this for a cup of rice or a half cup?
>>
>>7611703
/thread
>>
>>7611616

Rice, water, salt, boil. Turn off heat, let sit for 20 minutes. Should be perfectly cooked.

For tastiness, add things. Put a shot of tequila in with the water before you cook, stir in cilantro and lime juice when it's done.

But if you eat rice a lot, I seriously recommend shelling out the 10 bucks for a rice cooker. They're amazing.
>>
add oil to pan
cover the entire pan
heat until it just starts smoking
Pour out excess oil
Let pan cool
add rice
Add water to rice level + 1 inch extra
cook on low heat, with lid on
wait 30 mins
don't fucking open it
enjoy your perfectly cooked rice with crispy bottom
>>
>>7612659
>Turn off heat, let sit for 20 minutes.
>>7612736
>wait 30 mins
Odd, whenever I've gone anything over 15 minutes, I just obviously overcooked rice.
>>
>add salt
>add oil
>make sure to salt and oil
>good amount of oil, maybe salt

is nothing sacred
>>
How do I make sushi rice fluffier? It's always so dense, and it gets way too sticky.
>>
>>7612638
It says a cup right there man
>>
>>7614209
Use medium grain? That's kinda how short grain is meant to be.
>>
>>7611703
I just got one and I like it. On a quest to spice up my rice
>>
File: Proper.jpg (27 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Proper.jpg
27 KB, 800x600
>>7611616
>I've always been a long grain white man myself

a proper gin and tonic man, here
>>
>>7611616
I pretty much always rinse off my rice several times until the water runs clear. It gets the excess starch off the grains and it ends up being fluffier and not as sticky when it's done cooking.

I always go with the 2:1 water:rice ratio, dump it in a sauce pan, add a pinch of salt, sometimes some butter or whatever other spices I may want to flavor it with, cover it and bring it up to a boil. Once it starts to boil, I shake the saucepan a bit to move the rice around then turn it down to low and let it cook for 15 minutes, then turn it off and leave it covered for another 10 minutes to steam some more. Once that's done, I fluff it up with a fork and then it's time to eat.

Works great for plain white, jasmine or basmati rice, which is what I usually make. I follow the same process for brown rice but it needs to cook longer, usually 30-40 minutes or so.
>>
>>7611616

You're correct that stovetop rice cooking directions are made to be foolproof rather than optimal.

Unfortunately, nobody is going to be able to tell you exactly how to cook rice optimally on your stovetop at home. There are too many variables. Different burners and pots/pans carry over heat differently, and different pots/pans retain moisture differently.

To show you what I mean, here is how I cook large batches of rice at work using a pressurized steam kettle:

1 parts rinsed rice by volume
1.24 parts water

Add boiling water to rice, stir.
Bring mixture back up to boil, stir again, and seal lid.

This makes absolutely perfect rice. You can see though how the different variables require much less water to cook the rice.

The best suggestion I can give you is to use the method I showed above, but either increase water volume to 1.5 parts, or use a pressure cooker. Boil water before-hand, and add it to the rice. When the mixture comes to a bowl again, stir, put lid on, and remove from heat. Let it sit 30-45 minutes, depending on type of rice. Don't open lid until at least 30 minutes, or 40 minutes for brown rice.
>>
>>7614697

I can't stress enough how much more accurate it is to boil water first, before you measure it.

Do not measure water into a pot and then boil it. Boil a bunch of water and then measure the amount you need.
>>
>>7611616
Comes out foolproof in my pressure cooker. I bought some indian basmati $20 for 15lbs or so.

Here's how I do it, 2 cups of rice at a time every few days.

Bring 3 cups of water with a bayleave to a boil
Add 2 cups of rice to boiling water
Close pressure cooker, get it to high pressure for 1 minute, take off heat, let it sit 10min.

Open pressure cooker in 10min, all done, fluffy and perfect basmati.

I let it sit for another 10 minutes or so uncovered, then fluff it up with a large fork, sometimes I add evoo or butter to it when fluffing up.
>>
Here's how I do it and I like it a lot:
Wash the rice until the water is clear. I sometimes soak it, but I never noticed much of a difference, except that it needs a bit less water and that it's cooked sooner.
Put it into cold water (about 2:1 ratio)
Bring it to a boil on low heat, covered.
I turn the stove off once I can't see the water anymore.
Let it sit, covered, for about 10 minutes or until I finish cooking the rest of the food.
>>
>>7613527
>Odd, whenever I've gone anything over 15 minutes, I just obviously overcooked rice.
not enough water or too much heat
I cook with a pot by the way. A friend of mine uses a rice cooker and he burns the bottom of the rice every single time
>>
>>7614580
>I just got one and I like it. On a quest to spice up my rice
Pun intended?
>>
Out of interest, what's the minimum ratio of water to rice that /ck/ would allow?
>>
>>7618074
Differs per variety
From 1 and a quarter to 2 and half.

tfw been eating rice every day since I got a rice cooker.
For months
No more potatoes.
>>
What are some good seasonings to throw in the pot if I want to give my rice a little more flavor?
>>
>>7611616
I'm no pro and not sure if it works with every rice, but i do everytime the same simple steps:
For 2 people take two cups water and one cup rice (same cup sizes!)
Boil the water and add the rice.
Now cook until the rice soaked all the water/until there is no more water left.
Keep in mind to stir it so that it don't get burned.

Pro tip: sometimes I add hot curry paste to the rice while it cooks
>>
>>7618598
Onion, garlic, leek obviously
Basically any type of stock vegetable, such as celeriac, carrot
But really what you want to do is replace 25% of your water with vinegar
>>
>>7618598
>good seasonings
How do most people season rice anyway? I'm only aware of a couple of ways to do it.
>>
A bit ago an anon told me north americans make shitty rice because we do 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and leave it uncovered. He told me to do 1:1 and cover it. I said he was dumb.

Anon I was wrong. This rice is so fucking good. If you're here, thank you. It cooks faster and it has the perfect texture. Oddly there isn't even less of it.
>>
My mom tried teaching me her method to make rice. For the record we are Iranian and use basmati.

You wash it hella times, then flatten the rice and fill pot with water so it comes up to the first crease on the inside of your finger, opposite the knuckle. The tip of your finger must be just touching the top layer of rice for this measurement.

Add salt, butter and oil. (Can't tell you measurements she eyeballs it every time.) Bring it to a boil, uncovered. When the water evaporates enough so that the bubbles stop forming, mix it up, set to low and cover until it's fluffy and cooked

Shit's whack
>>
>>7612019
We call it tadeek, it's not burnt like black burnt. It's just crispy and golden. Fucking delicious
>>
>>7611838
>>7611879
Ok, as promised, I'm doing this tomorrow. Just to check that I've understood, this is what I'm planning to do:
Wash the shit out of the rice.
Measure out my usual amount of rice (roughly 125g raw).
Pour enough water on the rice to cover it, since I don't know jack shit about estimating 1/2".
Add a pinch of salt, because why the fuck not. I'm still not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Bring it to boil.
Watch the rice while I prepare other shit, expect to hear "a crack or two" once the water is nearly gone. How long does this usually take anyway?
Remove from heat, stir, cover.
Wait 10 minutes.
Stir, serve.
>>
>>7614637
This is exactly how I cook my rice. I almost exclusively eat basmati fwiw.
>>
>>7611616
you pour water in pan , high fire , wait till it bubles.
then trow rice in it , put some soja suas if you want .
i put some oil in it and some salt .
LET it cook for 10 to 12 min , i mostly scoup a little to taste it .

never had troubles with it.
>>
>>7622041
ps ,

after your done , you put it into another pan than wash it out under the sink.
you know that pan with those holes in it.
>>
>>7611792
It's convenient. Every asian family has one, it's like their equivalent of a toaster
>>
What is rice actually supposed to be like?

The only time I ate rice it was a mushy piece of shit and the texture made me feel like vomitting.
>>
Fresh rice mixed with steam vegetables, soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil is really good
>>
>>7622044
However you want it to be.
>>
>>7622041
So, basically the same method as OP?
>>
>>7611616
Rice is nice.
>>
>>7621319
This is where you're fucking up. You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy. Add the rice after the water has come to full boil, wait for the water and rice to start boiling again, cover TIGHTLY, reduce heat to as low as you can go and wait 20 minutes. Don't ever open the top to check.

Here's a stream-lined process and I guarantee you'll have perfect rice

1. In a pot, add 9 oz of water and 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil (optional) and let it come to a rolling boil. Do not add salt.
2. While it's heating, wash the 8oz of rice. Once for most rices, twice if glutinous like Korean rice, any more than that is extraneous
3. Add the rice to the boiling water, stir, and wait for it to come to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly making sure no air can escape, and wait 20 minutes. Do not open to check.

That's all there is to it. I like my rice a little dryer so it absorbs more, so I do a 1.1:1 ratio of water to rice. 1.2:1 is standard, 1.3:1 if you like it softer
>>
>>7623883
>You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy
It makes no fucking difference senpai, my rice is never mushy. The important part is not to stir the rice so that it doesn't get covered with water after the fact
>>
>>7623883
>This is where you're fucking up. You don't put the rice in the water and let it come up to boil. It'll be soggy and mushy.
As in the OP, what I'd usually do is boil the water first and then add the rice, what I posted earlier was my attempt at understanding the other anon's instructions.
>>
>>7623910
>Implying rice isn't finicky as fuck when you don't cook it in a rice cooker

Your rice sounds terrible and you sound like you've never had good rice
>>
I've got some uncle ben's spicy mexican wholegrain rice and then 230g worth of chicken breat fillet, how can they go well together without it being dry.

Last time I had it I just smothered it in tomato ketchup.
>>
Dumb question, but I've seen a lot of talk about ratios of water to rice here.

These are by volume, right? Doing it by weight sounds retarded, but I just wanted to double check.
>>
>>7621319
Welp, doing this is like 45 minutes or something. Hoping for the best, just gonna stick to my usual 2:1 water:rice ratio. I'll probably reduce it as this thread has recommended in the future.
>>
>>7624209
Yes, volume. Kinda silly to measure water by weight, don't you think
>>
>>7624362
Twice as much water to rice? Is this a troll? Have you never tasted or felt the texture of properly cooked rice before?
>>
>>7624394
>Twice as much water to rice? Is this a troll? Have you never tasted or felt the texture of properly cooked rice before?
Not a troll as all, it's even what I mentioned in the OP. I've seen that ratio mentioned in a few places, to mind: one weird student cookbook I once read and the instructions for one pack of rice that I once had and also a few websites. I'm pretty sure that some anons here even mentioned that they were familiar with that ratio.

As for never tasting properly cooked rice before... now that you mention it, I probably haven't. My mother always used to buy pleb tier microwave or even boil-in-the-bag shit, I rarely get rice in restaurants, but in one place where I did it a rice dish regularly, I was pretty damn certain it was microwaved (the grains were all separate, and they were way too fucking long) otherwise the only other rice I've had came from Chinese takeaways, and fuck knows how they do it, I don't recall anything unique about them, I've been meaning to give it a more critical look, but I've not ordered from one of them in years.
>>
Does anyone else like eating plain white rice? Don't get me wrong, I like other kinds, but I can eat white rice by itself and actually enjoy it. Am I weird?
>>
>>7624371
It's actually super convenient to measure everything by weight. Just using the one instrument for everything saves so much messing around if you're doing stuff more complicated than just rice.
>>
File: DSC00140_.jpg (502 KB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC00140_.jpg
502 KB, 5472x3648
rice:water ratio in cooker - 1:2
this is standard for white rice, med long grain, for every cooker i've come across
for short grain a little less water - 1:1.5

probably the reason people are swearing by a different ratio in here, is because they cook manually with a pot, and/or tampering with ingredients, e.g, using broth, adding butter/olive oil
but there you go

>>7624447
yes you are, snowflake
>>
File: 41juCzD8qWL._SY300_.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41juCzD8qWL._SY300_.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
So I kinda figured I'd get a rice cooker since I don't mind easy to clean unitaskers, and feel like I could make some cool stuff in them. (Like those THICC pancakes, quick steamed vegetables, etc) I've owned some of those smaller cheaper ones, but I figured I could invest in a slightly nicer one to just leave on my counter.

What Capacity should I get though? I figured an 8 cup rice cooker is more than enough for me, but the 20 cup one has a slow cooker feature. However, I feel like i RARELY make more than 2 cups of rice at the most.
>>
>>7624500
It entirely depends on what type of rice you're using though. Glutinous and long grain could use 1:1.5, jasmine is best at 1:1.2, brown rice I guess could require 1:2 but that's still so much water IMO. All it's doing is taking longer to cook.

Plus I like my rice to have a fluffiness to it, don't want dense sticky clumps of starchy rice. I swear by 1:1.2. Always works. Ofc this ratio gets skewed once you make more than 1 cups of rice
>>
>>7611616

Wash rice with cold water in strainer.
Pour couple tbsp olive oil onto cold pan.
Pour 3/4 cup of rice into pan.
Add 1 cup of water or chicken stock.
//Optional: Add 1tbps ground cardamom, 2tbps ras al hanout.
Cover.
Raise burner to somewhere at the top end ~85-95% for two minutes.
Lower burner to 15% for 8 minutes.
Boiling water will steam rice. DO NOT REMOVE LID.
//Optional: Add cooked peas and carrots.

BOOM. delicious. you're welcome.
>>
>>7624500
I was only asking because people seem to hate plain rice. At least in my experience.
>>
>>7611838
>>7611879
>>7621319
>>7624362
Well, went and did it. As >>7611996 predicted, it burned and I accidentally made the tadeek stuff that >>7620546 mentioned. Long story short, the burned taste of the tadeek overwhelmed the rice, so I can't comment on if the rice improved or not.

I'm not too sure where I went wrong, maybe my ratio of water was too high (causing the rice to be heated for too long), or maybe I just expected the cracks to be louder and ignored the cracks that I should've been listening for. By a rough estimate it was on the heat for about 15 minutes. I didn't notice any dimples.

I guess I'll try again more carefully tomorrow until I've got the method working, then I'll either stick to it or just move to another anon's method.
>>
>>7611792
>I don't get it

Consider that rice cookers are massively ubiquitous in places like Japan with a huge rice culture where rice is a key staple of the diet and eaten with virtually every meal. Now if they have adopted it and praised it so why wouldn't you?
>>
>>7624627
Rice may be a key staple in Japan, but space is limited and not everyone has a stove. A plug-in rice cooker and/or electric grill is incredibly useful if you don't have a kitchen, or even cookware.
>>
>>7624580
Don't listen to him Anon. It's perfectly fine to eat rice by itself. In fact I enjoy eating a bowl of parboiled rice by itself.
>>
Buy steam stand at any Asian store: $1-$4

Put rice in any bowl, wash until water is clear fill with 1/2" water

Put steam stand in pot. Add water under steam rack.

Put bowl in

Steam for 30 minutes
>>
i just dont like rice
>>
>>7624709
>Not liking something that you can make literally tasteless, and lack almost any texture.
>>
>>7624642
You're thinking of an oven.
Every single apartment and home has a stove. If its a cheap place, itll be the kind you buy at the appliance store instead of being built into the counter, but every apartment built since the 70s has atleast a space for the stove and a gas connector nearby. Even the appliance stoves can be pretty nice and the only annoying thing is how gross they get underneath.

Japanese people have rice cookers because, there is a lot of rice in their diet AND rice cookers cook rice better than cooking on the stove.
>>
>>7624709
Why even come to the thread then if you have nothing to contribute on the topic of rice?

Also anyone know where to buy large amounts of the shorter grain rices since most stores only seem to carry long grain rice.
>>
>>7625146
Go to the Asian grocery store. They have bulk and the smaller sizes are usually half of what you pay at the regular grocery store from the ethnic aisle
>>
"A New Way to Cook" has a good one:
heat 1 1/2 tsp olive oil in a metal pot, add 1 cup rice, stir until an aroma develops and rice is coated. add 2 cups boiling water, and 1/2 tsp salt. transfer the pot to the oven, bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until water is boiled away. just remember to
NOT GRAB THE POT HANDLES WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, GODDAMMIT.
>>
>>7625108
>You're thinking of an oven.
kek
>>
>>7611616
Pro-tip

If you dont have access to a rice cooker, when cooking your rice in a pot, wrap a dry cloth around the underside of the lid.

The cloth will absorb extra steam that can make your rice claggy.
>>
I just boil rice and taste it near the end to see when it's about done, drain it, then let it sit with a lid on for about 5 minutes. Works with pretty much every rice, if you follow close to the suggested cooking time (anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes)
>>
>>7623883
I've literally always made my rice by putting it in with the water then bringing it to a boil then simmering it down for 15 (basmati) and it's never soggy, it's not amazing, sometimes it's actually even a little hard, but it's definitely not overcooked, stop acting like you know how everything works.
>>
>>7626936
> it's not amazing, sometimes it's actually even a little hard

So its garbage
>>
>>7626941
that's only sometimes, mostly it's completely fine and about as good as what you expect from an indian restauraunt.
>>
File: Zojirushi Rice Cooker.jpg (33 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
Zojirushi Rice Cooker.jpg
33 KB, 499x500
>>7611800
I agree fully, I just bought pic related and can confirm that I have never cooked rice on a stovetop as well as this thing does.
>>
>>7624595
Anyone got any comments on this? I'm gonna try again in a few hours.
>>
>>7627341
Don't listen for cracks, just look for those dimples in the rice, when the water beneath stops bubbling, low heat and cover until done
>>
>>7627409
>dimples
I didn't notice any last time, am I looking for the wrong thing?
>>
>>7627417
Just little breaks, holes, dents in the rice where air is escaping.
>>
>>7627461
Hmm, I think I might know what you mean, guess I'll try to work with that.
>>
>>7611616
> long grain white
> Westerners have at most one type of each size of rice
> westerners will never experience fresh chem-bavu-moru
wew

>>7620540
>first crease on the inside of your finger
Indian here, I do the same thing, but no oil, and add cumin usually.

desu i think you should only wash it 2 times. too much and it loses some texture.
>>
>>7611811
This seems slightly crazy anon
Here's what I do
> rinse rise if I care
> bring 1.75 cups water to boil in a pot
> add rice and boil for about 5 mins
> put lid on and simmer until rice is desired texture (approx 7 more mins)

Rice cookers are better though
>>
>see people defending a rice cooker
>thinks it's okay cos /b/
>see url
>/ck/

I don't know what I expected in the fast food board. It's just sad.
>>
File: img_7649.jpg (1 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
img_7649.jpg
1 MB, 3888x2592
How about those exotic Red & Black grains?
I plan to eventually pick those up for all the ANTHOCYANINS.
>>
>>7627898
Rice cookers are not like toasters. Rice cookers cook rice better than if you did everything perfectly on the stove.
>>
>>7627523
>>7627461
>>7627417
>>7627409
>>7624595
>>7611838
Tried it again, focusing on dimples and reduced my water a little bit, naturally this and my paranoia caused by my last event lead to me taking it off the heat much faster than last time. This time it was probably only on the heat for around 10 minutes. The rice came out crunchy and with a noticeable texture, I was almost concerned that it was undercooked, but it seemed like an improvement. I'll have to double check my pan though, I think that even despite the timing, there was a little tadeek which caused a little damage.
>>
>>7627931
No.
Rice Cookers cook rice better than if YOU did.
>>
>>7611616

>crtl+F
>calflower rice

ITT fat people
>>
>>7628005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWlSRE4R24
I wasn't even aware that this was a thing. I'll have to try this.
>>
>>7628032
one cup of white rice is 206 calories
one medium head of calflower is 146 calories
>>
File: pierregordita.jpg (58 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
pierregordita.jpg
58 KB, 900x598
>>7626985
fuckign japs and their fancy tools

I want one of these but I'm not about to shell out 400 dollars. Honestly a pressure cooking induction heating rice cooker is the best way to do this, but apparently the nips won't branch out to the states since we're all satisfied with traditional rice cookers along with not eating nearly as much as they do. So they can skimp on quality just a bit for the US models, like not using a thicker pot for the rice which would encourage a more even cooking.

All in all best one you can get in the states, but it's overpriced and lacks features that ones in grorious nippon have which ruffles my american feathers.
>>
>>7628005
Eating carbs implies I'm fat?

You've never been to /fit/, have you?
>>
>>7628005
Cut up head of cauliflower.
Blend in food processor to rice size.
Fry in some olive oil.
Add 1 tbsp cayenne, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp gound corriander.
Salt to taste.

Its freakin' great.
>>
File: 1395848420835.jpg (14 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1395848420835.jpg
14 KB, 245x245
>>7628032
>detoxification
>>
>>7627956
Do the finger crease method i mentioned earlier in the thread.
>>
I use basmati in a 2:1 water/ rice ratio.

>put 2 cups rice in sieve
>4 cups water in pot with lid on high
>wash rice while water heats
>once water boils dump in rice and stir once immediately. Place lid on pot and DO NOT REMOVE UNTIL DONE.
>Lower stove to ~25% power
>let cook for 15 minutes
>after 15 mins are up, take rice off stove and let sit for 3 minutes.
>rice is ready.

WA LA perfect every time.
>>
>>7627956
the reason you're not making good rice is because you're thinking way too much about it. every time you open the pan to check the rice you're releasing steam, halting the process. I'm not gonna go into more detail, just fucking do the method listed >>7623883
TO THE DOT and I guarantee perfect rice
>>
>>7626936
then you've been making it wrong the entire time. enjoy your shitty rice
>>
>>7629096
Why don't you add salt to the rice?
>>
>>7628005
Sweet meme friend

Cauliflower rice really has more of the texture of couscous
>>
>>7627931

This meme needs to end.
>>
>>7629131
Because rice shouldn't be salty? It should be used as a medium to soak up the juices or sauces being served with it, not as it's own thing.
>>
rice general more like arsenic general
>>
>>7627690
What's chem-bavu-moru?
>>
>>7618892
can i do the vinegar thing in a rice cooker?
>>
File: 20111018_2148352.jpg (70 KB, 510x357) Image search: [Google]
20111018_2148352.jpg
70 KB, 510x357
Butter+Rice(+soy sauce)
>>
>>7629801
Its a type of rice (chem-bavu: from the name of the kingdom of champa, which is cultivated popularly in southern china, vietnam, and south india. its a sort of soft but hearty brown rice with a reddish look), and moru is buttermilk curry.
>>
Got rice bitch?
Got rice?

Got food?
Got soup?
Got spice?
>>
>>7611792
Cooking rice in a pot is a pain and I always manage to mess it up. I don't want to think about cooking rice. I just want it done. I need to buy a Rice cooker but they're expensive.
>>
>>7629062
>WA LA
Why is it that /ck/ only has like two memes?
>>
>>7630793
Memes are cancerous, why do you care?
>>
>>7611703
So you're saying it's easier if you're a jap, spic, or indian? Are they just born with rice abilities?
>>
>>7630211
oh no please don't bring back those memories
>>
How to brown rice?
>>
>>7630861
They make it basically every day, that's bound to produce an intuition of how to make it perfectly each time.
>>
1 cup jasmine rice

1 3/4 water

pepper

cayenne pepper

salt

mix it all together in a pot, bring it just to a boil then turn heat down to low cover and let it cook for 18 min

after 18 min is up remove rice from heat and let sit for 10 min then fluff with a spoon and serve
>>
>>7630961
I live in Japan, every single person has a rice cooker
>>
>>7627968
This is what people who make crappy rice think.
>>
>>7630606
I've got a $10 one from Walmart that cooks rice pretty well
>>
>>7611616
Fry it first for like 30 seconds then add boiling water.
>>
File: 1461260131854.jpg (72 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461260131854.jpg
72 KB, 1024x768
Hey OP, google some brazilian rices recipe, since you're doing it just like we down here.

We eat rice in every fucking meal too, so I know what I am talking about. What your rice is missing is the right amount of oil, garlic, salt and onion.

Brazilian rice goes well with ANYTHING and tastes much better.
>>
>>7631278
I second this.
Our rice go well with almost everything, just need some long grain.

>>7631023
Nope.
This is what people who can cook think. Now go get some taco bell and get out of here.
>>
>>7629096
>every time you open the pan to check the rice you're releasing steam
When I do the method in the OP, I have no choice but to open the pan. It boil over otherwise, as for the method you replied to. I only opened it when instructed (the end).
>>
>>7628198
>making shit up
I bought one from Amazon during a 50% off sale, $100. Not the pressurized version but works great. Thick heavy bowl, holds rice hot for 12+ hours with no large drop in quality
>>
>>7633253
>Holding cooked rice for more than 4 hours.
>>
>>7611616

Been cooking rice all my life. It's pretty damn easy...but seeing you're probaby from a western country (idk for sure). But uhh...

Step 1: Wash rice, twice.
Step 2: 1 cup of rice : 1 1/2 cups of water.
Step 3: Put on medium heat. When most of the water has evaporated, like you can see some thick water bubbling or something, put it on low heat.
Step 4: When you cant see any water at the top, turn it off.
Step 5: Serve.
>>
>>7611807
The best rice I've had was one that was cooked under pressure. Rice cookers can do that, but if you have an electric pressure cooker (nabbed one for $20), that also does the trick for even bigger batches. Consistent fluffy rice each and every time for just 10-15 mins tops.
>>
>>7611616
>Other than that, the only issue I've faced with rice is grain separation, for whatever fucking reason, my roomate likes his grains totally fucking separate, the only way I know of to do this is be a pleb and microwave, which I hate doing since it makes the rice totally fucking tasteless. Any tips for how to do it with a stove?
Does anyone have any input on this? This read has given me another methods for cooking rice that it'll certainly be dead before I've tried them all, but I've got nothing to solve this problem.
>>
>>7634569
*This thread.
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-03+at+09.51.09).jpg (147 KB, 632x476) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-03+at+09.51.09).jpg
147 KB, 632x476
Rice cooking isn't about how you cook it, it's about what you season it with.

Why do you think india and asian countries make heavy use of spices?

Here's a recipe to make your rice tasty.

> Add a clove of garlic and some salt into your rice cooker.
> Mince chicken thigh meat into thumb sized lumps, mince mushrooms, mince Daikon (Giant white radish)
> Throw the daikon and shrooms in your pan with some garlic, salt and pepper, wait until they've browned up a bit.
> Throw in the minced chicken thighs, add salt and pepper, loads of pepper, let it cook at medium/high heat until all the chicken is juicy (but NOT dry)
> Throw your cooked rice in the pan, it'll soak all the fat from the chicken.
> stir for 1-2 minutes, serve in a bowl

Recipe can be easily adapted by replacing daikon with whatever lettuce or vegetable you like.
>>
>>7635398
>Rice cooking isn't about how you cook it, it's about what you season it with.

I disagree. It's all to easy to use shit-quality rice and/or fuck up the cooking process only to cover it up with spices.

>>Why do you think india and asian countries make heavy use of spices?
Because those countries are in warm climates with good growing conditions.

Throughout most of Asia rice is eaten relatively plain. Your pic is a Westernized dish.
>>
>>7614209
Use less water
>>
>>7618074
1:1
>>
>>7636528
>1:1
Would that even be cooked?
>>
>>7637241
Not that anon but I used to do 1:2 exclusively. I tried 1:1 covered and it's so much better. Firmer, better texture, still completely cooked. Just cover the pot and you're good.
>>
>>7634569
Use a fork and fluff the rice after it's done cooking. Dipping the fork in oil will also help
>>
>>7637948
Sounds legit, I'll try that on Sunday.
>>
For how long can I leave rice on the pot I cooked it before it goes bad? I don't like refrigerating it
>>
>>7638733
> I don't like refrigerating it

You should, just make fried rice with it
>>
>>7638733
1 day max. Overnight is usually fine. You can tell if its bad by smelling it.

>>7635398
Indian here, we cook our rice plain, besides for dishes like pilaf things which are a main dish themselves.
>>
>>7638733
I was always told 4 hours max.
>>
Damn this thread has lasted a long time. Plenty of good ideas in here.

Saved.
>>
>>7638733
>I don't like refrigerating it

>2016
>Self infecting oneself with bacillus cereus because of pure laziness
>>
>>7641545
>>7640408
>>7639699
Shit, it's been on the pot for two nights already, doesn't smell funky or anything, just like cold rice.
>>
>>7641575
b. cereus doesn't have a smell, unless you count the smell of you shitting yourself uncontrollably for a day or two

Seriously, it's not hard to practice some form of food safety. How hard is it to refrigerate rice <2 hours after cooking?
>>
>>7641594
It's not out of laziness, I just don't like the taste of reheated food in general. I guess from now on I'll make fried rice like that other guy suggested.
>>
>>7641598
Then just make fresh rice every time. Also, b. cereus is heat resistant because it can form spores (same genus as anthrax) so still refrigerate rice before making it into fried rice if you're not going to make it fried rice within a few hours.
>>
File: pic7atxk2.jpg (89 KB, 555x370) Image search: [Google]
pic7atxk2.jpg
89 KB, 555x370
I eat it with my orange chicken
>>
>>7641660
Is it bad that I'm trying to rate the rice in that picture?
>>
OP here... not sure what I'll use for Saturday, I think I'll try the method I've tried last weekend again.
>>
>>7611616

>Get a rice cooker.
>Then mix 1 part sweet rice to 3 or 4 parts regular rice.
>Rinse a few times till the water is pretty clear.
>Fuck actually measuring water, fill that shit up with water and place your hand flat on the surface of the rice.
The water should be between the knuckle and the first joint of your fingers.
>Turn that shit on, and place a damp cloth towel on top of the rice cooker.
Tadah you made fucking rice without making it more complicated then it should be. Season to taste.

This is how all Asians cook their rice.
>>
>>7635398
Asians eat their rice plain, or with soy sauce. Or they will mix it with other shit that's on the table but they don't add shit to it prior to serving.
>>
>>7638733
Refrigerate it and save it for stir fried rice.

Holy fuck this thread doesn't know jack shit about rice.
>>
>>7643732
Idiot.
>>
File: how-to-microwave-rice-recipe-3.jpg (20 KB, 640x423) Image search: [Google]
how-to-microwave-rice-recipe-3.jpg
20 KB, 640x423
Yep, decided what I'm doing this weekend, hopefully I'll nail it on Saturday and then I might try another method or I could just be happy with anon's. I'll probably fluff some of it as well, just to see if I can get some of what my roomate would like.
>>7627956
>>7629018
Admittedly, I'm increasingly starting to wonder how much of a difference the amount of water used makes to the rice, at least with the method I've been testing over the past few weekends, the amount of water determines the cooking time but for some of the other methods posted her, it just seems pretty arbitrary.

So, this is the finger method, right?
>>7620540
>You wash it hella times, then flatten the rice and fill pot with water so it comes up to the first crease on the inside of your finger, opposite the knuckle. The tip of your finger must be just touching the top layer of rice for this measurement.
...I wonder what ratio that works out to.
>>
File: ricecomparison.png (7 KB, 415x156) Image search: [Google]
ricecomparison.png
7 KB, 415x156
>>7611616
Parboiled rice is way healthier than white basmati rice by the way.
>>
Is it acceptable to have sushi rice with indian curry
>>
>>7643738
>this thread doesn't know jack shit about rice.
>this thread knows jack shit about rice.
Choose one you illiterate fuck.
>>
>>7644038
singe and double negative are correct colloquialism and they are both accepted forms, similar to 'could care less' and 'couldn't care less'
>>
>>7644193
Accepted by whom? Illiterate retards?
>>
File: abandon.gif (529 KB, 250x106) Image search: [Google]
abandon.gif
529 KB, 250x106
>>7644193
Nice damage control, retard.
>could care less
Idiot.
>>
>>7644201
>whom
>>
>>7644036
>Is it acceptable to have sushi rice with indian curry
More importantly, why would you do it? Sushi rice is made to practically form into a ball, which isn't going to work well with curry.
>>
>>7645175
Never had katsu curry?
>>
>>7634164
Preach my nigga, preach!
Can also be done in a stovetop pressure cooker. Boil 1/2 cup rice in 1 cup water until pressure valve indicates high pressure, turn off gas and wait 10-15 minutes.
>>
>>7614209
Fluff it with the fork
>>
>>7643805
You've got to make a curled up fist, like a knuckleball, then drop it on top of the rice, you fill water then from the top of the rice to the top of the knuckle
>>
>>7645285
That sounds pretty strange compared to how it was described.
>>
So many people talking about "fluffy" rice. What the fuck is this shit?
>>
File: 4.jpg (149 KB, 750x1187) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
149 KB, 750x1187
How do I make the delicious yellow rice?
>>
>>7642202
Not really, I was thinking it may have used calrose rice with 1.25:1 water to rice ratio using a rice cooker.

I think I experiment with a lot of things way too much. Such is life in America, land of the abundance.
>>
>>7645181
It's okay if the curry in itself is poured but not too much, if it's a 1:1 curry to rice ratio it would be better off using something longer grain like basmati.
>>
>>7647100
There are many different kinds of "yellow" rice, please be specific with what you are to use it with. Like sides, or main dish accompanying the rice.
>>
File: 107.2.jpg (43 KB, 384x292) Image search: [Google]
107.2.jpg
43 KB, 384x292
>>7611616
>There's one thing that's always troubled me however, what's the best way to cook it?
this is the best way

if you're a poo in loo please leave, i don't want those people posting on my 4chan
>>
>>7611792
>I don't get it, we've cooked rice for literally thousands of years without them. If we needed one to make good rice, rice wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.
that feel when we have taken shits for thousands of years in the woods
do u still use a toilet?
>>
>>7643805
Well, went and tried it.

Finger method fails bad, even when I was putting the water in the pan, I could tell that it was too much. End result was some very minor burns to my pan, tadeek and mushy rice. The fucking rice was on max heat for like 16 minutes and almost boiled over.

I suppose on the upside, I've learned what happens when you use too much water. I think I'm gonna try experimenting with the ratios more, I think I'll try 1:1.25 tomorrow.
>>
>>7647198
Maybe he means pilau?
>>
>>7647230
>woods
>not using your neighbour's doorstep.
>>
How do most people here measure their rice:water ratio anyway? I've always done mine with a cup.
>>
>>7611616
Britchap here.

I have posted the method to cook perfect rice, I can't be bothered to post it anymore (maybe I should just make a copypasta and paste it everytime??)

Basmati rice in Britain is not that much more expensive than standard long-grain rice: And to be quite honest, unless you are trying to impress a real foodie, then don't bother with it.

You can get equally good results with long-grain!

>>7647100
>How do I make the delicious yellow rice?
You may mean a Pilau rice or the 'Bachelors savoury rice' ?

I can make both equally as good but they are very different.
>>
>>7647454
>I think I'm gonna try experimenting with the ratios more, I think I'll try 1:1.25 tomorrow.
Went and done it.

No damage to my pan, but some tadeek was made. Otherwise, I can't complain about it (I wouldn't even complain about the tadeek if I didn't know that it risks damaging my pan). It very much matched what I described here >>7627956, is this what rice is supposed to be like? Or am I fucking it up? The fact that there was some tadeek is probably good evidence that it wasn't undercooked at all.

Either way, I suppose it's time to move onto another method. I think I've got all I can out of this one.
>>
>>7650822
How the fuck are you browning your rice and getting tadeek? Steaming rice should only result in cooked white rice and no browning. If you want to carmelize rice like in a dolsot bibimbap you gotta use something that gets hotter than boiling water temp (220f)

>>7611838
This method is shit, just reading it made me cringe. I don't know why you chose this one to start off with, but I know for a fact that it will produce soggy shitty rice. Doesn't even say to cover the pot...

Trust me and go with my method >>7623883 and tell me how it comes out.
>>
>>7647222
Man, I really want to buy one of those in the future.

>>7648134
Dang, that's one thing I do not know a good recipe of.
>>
File: 1446869015541.png (141 KB, 259x239) Image search: [Google]
1446869015541.png
141 KB, 259x239
>mfw the amount of cancer in this thread
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>7647089
Soft grains with very little bite surrounded by a thin layer of starch that makes them stick in clumps.
>>
>>7630606
you can find good $30-60 on amazon
>>
>>7611807
>/fit/ are bread experts
No we aren't; we avoid almost all breads. We like oatmeal, brown rice, and beans for non-vegetable carbs to pair with foods.
>>
>>7650839
>I don't know why you chose this one to start off with,
My plan was just to try all the methods in this thread from top to bottom as long as they don't require me to use anything other than salt, rice and water. That's anon's method was the first one of that kind posted which would make the next such method in the list >>7612659 but fuck it, I'll try yours next weekend. The only issue I can see is that whenever I make rice with similar methods like the one in the OP, I always have to open it at times or else it boils over.

>>7652557
>No we aren't; we avoid almost all breads.
Don't you guys have like multi-thread long discussions on why you should and shouldn't eat bread? I've never seen such indepth discussion on bread outside of /fit/.
>>
>>7653175
Yeah, I guess. The general consensus is never white and never whine cutting. A lot of people say whole grain toast is alright, but the carb that definitely dominates the board is oatmeal. There are usually at least two or three talking about which kind, how to cook it, and what do you mix it with.
>>
>>7653764
Yeah, I'll be starting on oats soon. Oats in the morning, fuck lunch and then rice/pasta for dinner is probably what I'm gonna go with.
>>
>>7653175
When does it boil over? after you add the rice and reduce the heat? That means the residual heat from being on high will continue a rolling boil instead of simmer for a while. If it's boiling over otherwise that just means your pan doesn't have a high enough rim. Use a pot instead

>>7653175
>My plan was just to try all the methods in this thread from top to bottom
This is a terrible idea. A lot of people on here think they know how to cook, but their standards are horribly low. They'll think the food they've been making for years must mean it's good, when really it's just that they've been doing the same thing completely wrong for years and just adapted to shitty subpar food. Like this idiot >>7626936

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eki3boq9Xkk

This lady does the same thing I do but uses 1.5:1 water, but since she has to wait a while for a second boil that's probably an indication that her stove isn't very powerful, hence boiling off a bit more water than in my original method.
>>
>>7654392
>When does it boil over? after you add the rice and reduce the heat?
Yep. I never open it to check, I only open it because of said boiling over.
>>
>>7654736
Two possible causes:

1) your heat is too high
2) you didn't rinse the rice and thus the starchy dust on it is making the bubbles from simmering be very persistent & thus bubbling up. Kinda like how soapy water makes bubbles while clean water does not.
>>
>>7630861
no u uckin retard its a part of their culture to eat rice so everybody knows how to do it
>>
>>7654736
It only has to be covered when it's simmering. After the water boils, adding the rice should reduce it to a simmer. Try using lower heat. By chance are you using a GE electric stove?
>>
>>7654985
>By chance are you using a GE electric stove?
Nope, BEKO.
>>
>>7654392
>A lot of people on here think they know how to cook, but their standards are horribly low
I have to admit, a lot of the threads on /ck/ alarm me.
>>
>>7654392
>A lot of people on here think they know how to cook

Then there are the people that stumbled upon a single way to do something that works for them and think they are now the sole holder of sacred cookery knowledge.
>>
>>7611616

I got told I'm retarded for cooking rice this way.
>>
>>7658238
truth hurts, doesn't it. not everyone has shit taste like you, otherwise there wouldn't be an hierarchy of restaurant quality now would there. it's just that you're too uncultured/dumb to understand the difference in food quality, so you have to lash out at people that are particular about food since you feel neglected inside.
>>
>>7658238
>tfw can only cook Bolognese sauce well and nothing else

It's something
>>
>>7658648
>I got told I'm retarded for cooking rice this way.
As did I, the last time I posted it here.
>>
>>7660523
>>7658648
Because it is retarded. 2:1 water ratio for a half cup of rice? If you're cooking less than a cup of rice you should probably just stick with 1.2:1 or close. It's not like pasta where you can drain excess water: you have to be precise with rice or else the texture will be off. With that much water, you're essentially boiling the rice, not steaming it, which is what you want.
>>
>>7661283
and methods like >>7611838 are even more retarded. you can't just wing the fucking measurements. kinda baffles me to see how anyone could see this method working out. it's like it's straight out of some trashy trailer park family's recipe book
>>
>>7661290
>you can't just wing the fucking measurements

Maybe you can't.
>>
>>7658648
yeah I do boil n bag. pretty bland. But little salt butter and it's good.
>>
>>7611792
>>7611807
Oh so the fags telling people not to buy rice cookers are non-carb eating retards from /fit/?
>>
>>7661385
Let me rephrase. You can't wing the measurements when you're telling someone how to cook rice. ie 1/2 inch of water above the rice doesn't account for the pan/pot size. i'm guessing you wrote that shitty method
>>
>>7611616
I always just fry it in my wok. Season with salt and pepper and top with a fried egg. Dank af
>>
>>7661867
I haven't posted any methods because it's fucking boiling rice in water. I just find it funny that you seem to think it's some sort of inscrutable ancient secret folded a thousand times by monks.
>>
>>7661867
>doesn't account for the pan/pot size.

It doesn't need to. 1/2 inch of water above the rice works for most pot sizes with no other correction needed.
>>
>two cups of water for every cup of rice
>add rice when lightly salted water is boiling
>wait for water to boil again
>put tight fitting lid on
>turn off heat
>leave for 30-40 mins

Works every time, but maybe I just like this method because it's impossible to fuck up and requires next to no effort.
>>
>>7662040
>Works every time,
Why do people always say this?
>>
>>7662008
>It doesn't need to. 1/2 inch of water above the rice works for most pot sizes with no other correction needed.
Right so a 6in pot and 12in pan 1/2 inch of water above the rice will be the same amount of water always. That's why when OP tried the recipe, he really really liked it, right? Fucking moron. Even between a 6 and 8 inch pot there's a 33% difference in amount of water if you measure 1/2 inch. I wish you were trolling but I know you're actually this dumb.

>>7661985
>boiling rice in water
spoken like a true retard who has never had properly steamed rice before. Go back to your trailer park, boy. You're too uncultured to be spouting off your bullshit.
>>
>>7663861
I have perfect rice every other day, and I do it by dumping rice in a pot, adding water by eyeball and sticking it on the heat. Feel free to continue believing that anyone who finds this easier than you must be lying though.
>>
>>7663889
I think you don't know what good rice taste like honestly, but I'll humor you. What kind of rice do you use?
>>
>>7663980
Don't even bother, kid probably moved on from Uncle Ben's just yesterday. He will never understand the difference between making rice and making good rice. He's simply too dumb and/or uncultured.
>>
>>7663980
Long grain, I believe it's an American variety but the pack doesn't specify.

>>7664130
You are hilariously arrogant. You know there's about three billion people on the planet who have rice every day, and I highly doubt every one of them is getting the measuring jug out each time.
>>
>>7664481
You're still missing the point. Anyone could easily eyeball the measurements. But that's not going to help some guy who doesn't know how to cook rice in the first place. Do you think everyone has the same stove, same rice variety, same pot size, same measuring tools as you? Stop being so one-dimensional.
>>
someone post their ultimate orange chicken and fried rice recipe already god dam it :(

>i can make really good homemade orange chicken (yes the sauce is homemade too)

But my rice comes out shit everytime
>>
>>7664792
I never disagreed with that, I was just getting annoyed at how dogmatic you were being about the one particular way you've got that works.
>>
>>7664816
Chicken: Use a mix of dark and white chicken cut into cubes, season w/ salt and pepper. Mix equal parts flour, white rice flour, and corn starch, and split between the bowls. Coat the chicken in the mix, then coat in whisked eggs, then back into the dry mix. If you want an extra thick coating repeat the process again. Deep fry in at least 2 inch of oil, on high heat, until golden brown.

In another pot, make sweet chili sauce or buy pre-made and heat until simmering. Pat the chicken dry after frying and toss the chicken in the sauce. Add steam broccoli or other veg here. Serve immediately with chopped green onion on top. As for rice, follow >>7623883
>>
Re: rice cookers vs. pot

Researching rice cookers and their various features before a purchase is fun. Using a rice cooker is fun. I like the way it looks on the counter, and the songs the higher-end models play. I like the feel of the buttons and switches, and the little handle to carry it. My power cord ravels up inside of it like a pull string on a toy. I can plug it anywhere in the kitchen, or hell, the house. It also has an adorable spoon for serving rice. Setting the timer is nice if you want to come home to cooked rice. I've lived in places without a clock in the kitchen, and my rice cooker shows the time on its display. It keeps the rice warm for 12 hours. It goes straight out of its cooking mode into its warming mode. When I get a serving of rice, I just have to shut the lid and it goes back to keeping it warm. I can have rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and only have to measure the rice and water once in the morning. Having a rice cooker means you belong to a community that shares recipes and tips and tricks. It's a way to have fun and be creative.

If you get the same enjoyment from a pot, then good for you. Either choice is fine.
>>
>>7664829
My "particular" method isn't particular at all, you can find the same recipe nearly anywhere online and in use in many kitchens. First result after looking up jasmine rice on youtube was the linked video that demonstrated my method. OP asked how to cook rice; I provided a consistent, tested method. You or whoever posted a shitty, vague recipe that OP clearly didn't like.

The fact that you think my method is so special and other-worldy just reinforces that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Keep on eating your boiled, soggy rice, pleb.
>>
>>7664900
Once again, I never disagreed with your method or posted one of my own. I offered what I thought was about the mildest possible rebuke in response to you insulting every single other recipe, and apparently you can dish it out but you sure as shit can't take it.

I offer my unreserved apologies for ever impugning your eyeballing skills.
>>
>>7664914
OP tried other methods and said they didn't work; I looked at them and each and everyone were, as stated, shit.

The underlying problem here is that my standards are much higher than yours. Or, rather, yours is just really low. So like I said, keep on eating your shitty rice, but don't come in here and act like you know what you're talking about. You're just going to waste someone else's time.
>>
>>7647100
Tumeric + garlic Powder + olive oil.
1 tsp for both per cup, except I used 2 tsp of olive oil. I might recommend 1-1.5 though

I made some in my rice cooker the other day to break it in. Turned out surprisingly yellow
>>
>>7664872
>. It keeps the rice warm for 12 hours
>leaving cooked rice out
Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.