[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /ck/'s opinion of Alton Brown?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
What's /ck/'s opinion of Alton Brown?
>>
very good at talking a lot
>>
i watched literally all of good eats and the moment i'd finished it i realised he's really annoying.
>>
>>7601545
He's a bow tie wearing weenie that deserves a noogie
>>
>>7601561
You're a weenie
>>
File: let me give ya a noogie.jpg (145 KB, 1300x1203) Image search: [Google]
let me give ya a noogie.jpg
145 KB, 1300x1203
>>7601617
come here
>>
>>7601545
A blessing from god
>>
who?
>>
>>7601545
He's only in the culinary field whatsoever through happenstance, he'd be on /a/ if he discussed anime or /cgl/ if he discussed cosplay.
He doesn't cook, he doesn't bake, he doesn't run a restaraunt, he doesn't have a cooking video blog. He's just a guy who got lucky enough to host a cooking show that anybody could have hosted, it's just reading off the teleprompter or memorizing the script.
He has no passion for food, he lucked into it so he pretends.
>>
I like "his" recipes because they're simple and tasty.
>>
File: 1433472199359.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1433472199359.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>7601680
>He doesn't cook, he doesn't bake
>>
File: 1460104538381.jpg (74 KB, 590x390) Image search: [Google]
1460104538381.jpg
74 KB, 590x390
>>7601680
Go watch Good Eats you disgusting, uneducated, uncultured swine
>>
>>7601680
Could someone redpill me on whether or not this is true
>>
>>7601680
I wouldn't say he has zero passion, but he's obviously not a professional cook or anything like that. Not everyone who's into food needs to be.
>>
>>7602032
It's shitposting. AB went to culinary school and he clearly fucking cooked or baked something in the 12 seasons of his cooking show.
>>
>>7602039
Ok cool, i've never watched him because he seems like a try hard who wants to be super cool nerdy trendy
>>
>>7602088
I'll admit nowadays he seems a bit hipster-y but back in the day he was just the Bill Nye of cooking.
>>
alton brown is a meme chef
>>
He was originally a chemist but had no passion for that, so went to culinary school. That's why he has that whole super nerdy vibe because he combines his science background with his passion for cooking.
>>
>>7602039
Not only this, but he went to culinary school specifically because he thought most cooking shows were shit and didn't actually teach people how to cook, and he wanted to do a better job. To do that, he went to culinary school to learn how food works.

He might not be a big name restaurantuer, but he clearly has a passion for food, and is pretty good at teaching the mechanics of cooking.
>>
>>7601545
he literally was an amateur filmmaker who happened to hit gold with a food show. he isn't a scientist who got into cooking, he isn't a chef who got into science and decided to grace the masses with what he learned. he's literally just a dude who ran with it when people started to trust his name in the cooking community.

That and there's a bunch of stories of him being a complete douche when there isn't a camera on him.
>>
>>7602162
Has any other stuff happened with him being a douche? I remember a whole lot of foofaraw stemming from one blog post about jokes that, frankly, most of /ck/ would probably find hilarious.
>>
/ck/ is really autistic about this dude. They seem to feel betrayed when they realise that he's not actually a chef or a scientist despite this having no direct bearing on his ability to instruct on food or science, and the amount of consultation he does with 'actual experts' on the fucking show. Newsflash: Harold McGee isn't a chef or a scientist either and he wrote the fucking bible on the subject. If you think the product they put out is bad, fine, but don't retroactively dismiss it because you found out later that it didn't come from a supposedly authentic body of expertise, either it works or it doesn't, doesn't matter where it comes from
>>
>>7602162
>there's a bunch of stories of him being a complete douche when there isn't a camera on him.

do tell
>>
>>7602610
He went to culinary school though
>>
>>7602621
I hear the stories are more like "fans were being douches to me so I was a douche to them"

The one thing that is brought up a ton is that he doesn't sign anything when he is not doing a signing. If you come up to him randomly and ask for a picture or a signature, he'll deny you.
>>
>>7602639
shocking he wont randomly sign pieces of paper that will undoubtedly end up crumpled up and destroyed within the year
>>
>>7601545
Seems pretty cool.
>>
>>7602356
The jokes weren't funny, but they also weren't offensive as the post claimed.
>>
Just had an Alton Burger at Umami Burger.

It was really fucking good desu
>>
>>7602109
he got into food shows because all he wants is to be on tv.
he use to host extremely lame science shows and when he couldn't do those anymore he got on the food network.
just so he can continue to be a shitty tv host.
don't buy into the idea he cares for food. He just wants to be on tv
>>
File: alton.jpg (252 KB, 762x1022) Image search: [Google]
alton.jpg
252 KB, 762x1022
he is based
>>
>>7604024
his right leg must be longer than the left huh?
>>
>>7602635

that shouldn't really make a difference to the argument.
>>
>>7602032
>>7601680
Dude went to culinary school you fucks
>>
>>7601545

Looks like a closet fag
>>
>>7602356
All I remember hearing is that at one time he had a twitter account, some guy pretended to be his wife to troll him somehow (don't the details) and he went ballistic over it, like went full srsfknbsns and deleted his twitter
>>
>>7604131
never happened.
>>
>>7604136
I admitted that I don't remember the details, but the way I heard about it was Alton himself talking about it in an interview.
>>
Like his show.
Found out he was a sniper in the Navy SEALS before going to cooking school.
>>
An entertaining dude whose show is great for people just leaning basic cooking skills. He's not a professional chef as many have said, and you won't learn much from him if you already know what you're doing in a kitchen, but his show is still a fun watch.
>>
>>7601680
>he doesn't have a cooking video blog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUig9IAwggM
He's basically one of the few cooks to have his videos go viral
>>
>>7604180
>I don't remember the details
>I wasn't even there, I didn't even see it personally, but I heard something happened
fuck off dude
>>
>>7604131
http://www.eater.com/2011/8/4/6664797/alton-brown-leaves-twitter-to-sick-low-life-scumbags

made me think less of sniveling fag
>>
>>7604432
I just said he was talking about it himself, I wanna say it was on that cheesy, good eats anniversary special.

It's really odd that you're getting so salty about this, even more so since it's such a benign topic. I'm genuinely at a loss here.
>>
The Tesla of cooking
>>
>>7604451
I'm not the dude who responded to you first
I just think it's retarded you keep bringing up something you don't even remember
>>
I remember reading something about him.
>>
He teaches you how to cook things you might actually want to cook. For that he's pretty based. Also being a southern conservative in the entertainment industry takes major balls.

>>7602088
Thing is though he was doing that back before bow-ties and nerdy shit were cool.
>>
hating Alton Brown for not being a traditional chef is about as ridiculous for hating Bill Nye for not being a scientist.
>>
>>7604464
>You don't remember details about thing so you make thing up
See
>>7604441
Sorry dude, not everyone on 4chinz has strong enough autism to remember word-for-word every inconsequential celebrity gossip they heard years ago.
>>
he can make a nigga laugh and I find that sexy

he is pretty handsome too

if only he had a vagina
>>
>>7604639
>remember word-for-word every inconsequential

It was 3 seconds on google. There was something else about him freaking out on a fake food network account. He must be really fun to be around irl.

Everyone be nice to AB now that's he back on twitter. treat him with kit gloves or he'll aspie out, start crying and shit his pants again.
>>
this was on his account
https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/691058089231974400
he should quit twitter again
>>
>>7601545
He's a less funny version of Adam Savage who cooks instead of blowing shit up and making cool gadgets.
>>
>>7601551
me too.

I like good eats, but can't stand him in anything else
>>
>>7601545
he went apeshit on twitter though. FUnny as fuck
>>
>>7604068
looks that way could be yeah something like that

>>7604136
yes, it did

>>7604131
something ike that yeah
>>
>>7604131
It was @foodnetwerk
A fake food network twitter that posts joke suggestions. It's actually really funny, at least to me anyways. Alton Brown got bent out of shape and tried to sue, but it's parody under Fair Use and nothing came of it.
>>
>>7604432
hi alton
>>
I wonder how many hours he was on his knees praying to Jesus if he should go back on twitter
>>
I liked those 3-4 minute good eats styled informational videos with quick recipes or information he had on his youtube channel.

I saw him on one of his tours, don't remember which, when he came to my town's uni. Was a pretty good show.

Like other anons said, he's very comparable to bill nye for science, but for food. He's informative and interesting to watch, has that "teacher charisma" sort of thing going on, but I don't much care for him as a person. Also
>grilled grilled cheese
fucks sake.
>>
>>7601545
He's a decent entertainer
>>
File: 58934954395.jpg (81 KB, 616x358) Image search: [Google]
58934954395.jpg
81 KB, 616x358
>>
>>7602102
Upvoted
>>
File: 1453807067702.png (97 KB, 559x697) Image search: [Google]
1453807067702.png
97 KB, 559x697
>>7605286
Comedy gold
>>
File: chris kimball.jpg (58 KB, 600x486) Image search: [Google]
chris kimball.jpg
58 KB, 600x486
>>7601561
>He's a bow tie wearing weenie that deserves a noogie
?
>>
>>7607104
I used to get the Create Channel but I moved. I had a strange fascination with America's Test Kitchen.
>>
>>7607138
How is that strange? It's one of the best cooking show on TV.
>>
>>7604024
>mfw the glass probably cost more than any gun in my collection
>>
>>7601545
he has decent recipes and on good eats he explained the science behind cooking fairly well, though i was young when i watched it.

seems like he tries too hard to be wacky now, but food network in general is pretty bad altogether. there are still a few people who just cook that are okay to watch, but i don't really like the cooking competitions.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.