[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
500 years of beer purity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13
File: Weissenoher_Glocken_Hell.jpg (251 KB, 594x1583) Image search: [Google]
Weissenoher_Glocken_Hell.jpg
251 KB, 594x1583
On this day 500 years ago the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law) was passed in Bavaria.
Ever since that day true german beer is only brewed with 4 ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops and Yeast.

Celebrating this ill be getting shitfaced drunk on beer today which means starting early (its 1 p.m. CEST). Ill be posting the Beers im drinking, while getting less descriptive over time.

Im Starting with "Glocken Hell" from "Weißenoher Klosterbrauerei" (Weißenau Monastary). pic related.
>>
>>7600736
oops!
think you meant to post this on Facebook :)
>>
File: OSD79.jpg (242 KB, 1009x1200) Image search: [Google]
OSD79.jpg
242 KB, 1009x1200
Nice blog.

>pic related
>not true German beer
>implying

Reinheitsgebot was a an effective way to prevent shit lagers from festering in Germany, but doesn't mark a "true German beer", friend.
>>
File: Ungespundetes-Mahrs.png (289 KB, 249x768) Image search: [Google]
Ungespundetes-Mahrs.png
289 KB, 249x768
running low on beer. Im going beer shopping while drinking "Mahrs Bräu ungespundetes" (Mahrs Brewery unplugged, unfiltered) from Bamberg.

Good thing youre allowed to drink and drive in Germany.
>>
File: img_0.jpg (236 KB, 1671x2230) Image search: [Google]
img_0.jpg
236 KB, 1671x2230
>Gose
>not True German Beer™

Fuck off.
>>
File: schenkerla.jpg (6 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
schenkerla.jpg
6 KB, 194x259
>>
>>7600839
im living in Bavaria, so Beer from the North is....well is it Beer if you put spices in it?!
>>
Irish beer>German beer
>>
>>7600839
Nobody actually drinks gose in Germany.
It's an american meme, just like Belgians are supposed to slam trippels and lambics.
>>
>>7600736
>he fell for the reinheitsgebot meme
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>7600911
>he thinks calling things a meme helps him put stuff down he doesn't understand
>>
Please rememer that the law was never actually about purity and that was just marketing spin put on the law many years afterwards. It was always just about economics, primarily to artificially lower the cost of bread by preventing brewers from using wheat and rye and instead only barely which is not very suitable for bread. Later it became more of a protectionist law with the main purpose of preventing non-german brewers from being able to sell in germany

It literally never had anything to do with quality, and is the main reason german beer is so far behind Belgium and America when it comes to quality now
>>
>>7600736
is this why german beers are so boring?
>>
>>7600736
http://derstandard.at/2000032650574/500-Jahre-ReinheitsgebotVon-wegen-Einheitsgebot

LOL
>>
>>7601028

nailed it, bro

though something about Germany and purity always raises a flag
>>
File: wolf.jpg (17 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
wolf.jpg
17 KB, 250x375
>>7601033
you could say its boring i think of it as a challenge, making destinctly diffrent beer with a limited amount of ingredients is something else

>>7601043
>>7601028
thats true but i wouldnt say german beer is behind american ones, every american beer i drank tastes too much like water, but maybe i just drank the wrong american ones and you the wrong german ones. Belgian beer is great though, they sure know how to do it.

>>7600911
its not a meme, its cultural heirloom

Was at a friends place, had a Wolf Hell, a fine Beer, but not my favourite.
>>
>>7601093
Yeah, sounds like you are just drinking the wrong american ones. The giant american brewers all make terrible beer, when it comes to the largest brewers Germany's are far better, but when it comes to the selection you can find in a typical grocery store or bar, America is amazing
>>
File: karmeliter_klostertrunk.jpg (40 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
karmeliter_klostertrunk.jpg
40 KB, 400x800
>>7601105
smaller American brewers are close to impossible to get here in Germany, only had stuff like Miller or Budweiser (which is indeed terrible). If you can recommend something i have an American Import store in town who might be able to get it (former American occupied part of Germany).
Small German brewers are better than the big ones too i think its like that almost everywhere.

Im now drinking "Karmeliter Klostertrunk" (another monastary brewed beer) from Franconia (as most of the Beer i drink), quite strong on malt for a non dark beer.
>>
>>7601116
Most good american brewers don't even sell in every state so its hard to guess what you will be able to get, but amongst the easiest to find good breweries in america Founders, Ballast Point, Bells and Lagunitas are pretty good, three of those have recently sold stakes to larger international breweries so it might be easier to find.
Also I read something about Stone opening a new brewery in Germany, so you might be able to find their stuff, though I am not sure if it is operational yet. I am not a particular fan of them but they make some good stuff.
>>
>>7600736

It was passed in Germany. Bavaria is a state of Germany who actually got an exemption so they could make Hefeweizen. Which is made with wheat.

>Since you obviously don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>7601148
The law definitely originated in Bavaria, the city of Munich originally and not long after the entire state
Shit, I am american and think the law was bad and even I know this
>>
joke's on them, you can make beer out of corn, wheat, or beets.
>>
>>7600736

wow, I didn't know this but on some gut feeling bought a a sampling of German beers today. About six 500ml bottles. I have already drank all of them.
>>
File: adolfraving2.gif (184 KB, 278x285) Image search: [Google]
adolfraving2.gif
184 KB, 278x285
Those Germans sure like their purity laws.
>>
>>7601148
there was no germany in 1516 only the Holy Roman Empire. Bavaria was a Kingdom.
>>
Feels good living in a country where every single brewery follows those laws.

No, not Germany.
>>
>>7601172
Austria? Eastern Europe?
>>
>>7601172
Why would this possibly feel good?
Wheat, rye, oats, fruit, coffee, even sugar and sometimes corn have useful places in beer
>>
>>7601223
Because it stops being beer and turns into wine at that point.

Fruit has it's place in cider as well, it's not beer.
>>
>>7601224
>wheat, rye, and oats are fruit

Sure.
>>
>>7601224
Are you just ignoring everything I said that isn't fruit?
What about grains like wheat, rye and oats? Why can't those be used in beer?

Also, its not wine unless you are using more fruit than grain. A lot of amazing beer is made from brewing a barley based beer and allowing it to wild ferment with the addition of fruit
>>
>>7601233
Because it's not fucking barley. If you want to drink your pisswasser, by all means do so. It's still not proper beer.
>>
>>7601238
because some small time fucking duke decreed so 500 years ago to keep the peasants happy by making their bread cheaper?
>>
>>7601247
Go back to your wine cooler.
>>
>>7601238
>hefeweizen and witbier is pisswater

Damn you really don't know anything do you.
>>
File: Cranbic.jpg (99 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Cranbic.jpg
99 KB, 640x640
>>7601250
Go back to your mass produced shit lager

Even though fruit beer makes up a pretty small portion of what I drink I am gonna go to the store and buy myself some cranberry lambic just for you
>>
>not making your own beer from scratch

Step it up
>>
>>7600857
Are you saying Belgians aren't slamming tripels or lambics? So you're saying they're actually retarded?
>>
>>7601281
I do occasionally, but I usually don't want that much beer of one style at once unless I have some sort of event to bring it to
>>
Thats my Beer...yes
>>
>>7601028

German beer is on par, quality-wise. You probably think all lagers are boring, yellow pisswater because years of trippels and IPAs have destroyed your ability to appreciate subtlety
>>
>>7601317
Most lagers sold in germany are exactly that. There are plenty of great lagers, but they are generally not what most places in germany are selling, and most of the time better lagers are easier to find in american than anywhere else
>>
>>7601322

there's more to German beer than helles and pilsener m8

what is bock?
what is altbier?
kolsch?
rauchbier?
weisse?
dunkel?
marzen?

Some are more popular regionally, yes, but all are easy enough to get throughout Germany. Even outside Germany. German beer is just as good as any other. It's like measuring American beer's quality based on it's macro pisswater. Or Belgium on Stella or Jupiler (Belgiums best-selling beer).
>>
File: gruener-vollbier-hell.jpg (149 KB, 300x421) Image search: [Google]
gruener-vollbier-hell.jpg
149 KB, 300x421
>>7601322
>>7601359

easy to find does not correspond with awesome. I think everyone can find a german beer they like. There are even more types of beer then mentioned like Export or dunkles Weizen and I'm not even talking about the plethora of Bockbier that's around.

I'm now drinking Grüner which is a Fürth local. It's one of my favourites, big part to being sold in the football stadium of my favourite Club.
>>
>>7600736
>500 years ago
>people knew what yeast was

don't be a stupid fuck, it had water barley and hops.

Also you're forgetting bacteria. Jesus christ I hate german retards. Boast about their purity and history 24/7 while not even knowing the history

Anyway, the purist beer in america was being made in Rochester, NY in the late 1900s, large german population that wasn't being fucked by ww1/ww2
>>
>>7601147
>buying IPAs that aren't fresh
there's a reason a lot of people think IPAs are just bad meme beers
>>
File: huppendorfer_vollbier.jpg (201 KB, 1044x1386) Image search: [Google]
huppendorfer_vollbier.jpg
201 KB, 1044x1386
>>7601572
yeast was added later to allow Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Now its Huppendorfer. Bamberg Region.
>>
Well I was going to a barbecue today, unsure what beer to bring, that about seals the deal.

It will go with my german potato salad :^)

>>7601169
>noko
>wew lads
>>
nice Reinheitsgebot we got there

Breweries literally add some shit and filter it out later on and the law allows for it. It's america-tier consumer-protection.
>>
>>7601116
Keep an eye out for anything by Sierra Nevada, they seem to have a decent European logistics chain for an American craft brewer. Same goes for Anchor Brewing and Rogue. All of them much better than the macro adjunct piss.
>>
File: 1457692878274.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1457692878274.png
129 KB, 314x278
>>7601626
>Yeast was added later to allow Hefeweizen
>Since pilsners and bocks don't have yeast in them
>Hefeweizen still aren't allowed to use wheat

Anon...
>>
>>7601626
Yeast was added to the actual law later when people discovered what yeast was. Beer can't exist without yeast and never has, they just didn't know what it was or how it worked way back in 1516. You understand that just because hefes have a lot of yeast derived flavors and aren't filtered, they're not the only beers with yeast, don't you noko?
>>
>>7600736
I like their Klostersud.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.