[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should you or should you not wash rice before cooking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: community_image_1407645011.gif (386 KB, 592x570) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1407645011.gif
386 KB, 592x570
Should you or should you not wash rice before cooking?
>>
Every time.
>>
Say goodbye to your starch if you do.
>>
I always do or else it burns on the bottom of my rice cooker.

>>7594227
Don't wash it if you're making sushi then?
>>
Only if the bag says to.
>>
If you don't like mushy rice I suppose.
>>
>>7594215
If you're in India, yes
>>
>>7594215
Please post in a "Questions that Don't Deserve their own Thread" thread next time. This is clueless, but also very simple.
>>
>>7594215

If you make risotto or something similar then no.
If you make it as plain condiment then yes.
>>
>>7594294
Don't be that guy, stupid questions can lead to pretty good discussion.

I wash my rice because I notice it doesn't stick as easily.
>>
I do, just in case those little weevil things are hiding in it. It also washes away any other impurities that may have been sacked with the rice.

Its basically the same as washing your beans. It kills me when I see people just open up a bag and pour it in, not knowing how many bad/withered beans and tiny rocks they're pouring in as well.
>>
>>7594402
In this case it won't. This question is google-tier, in fact, perhaps even lower
>>
>>7594215
I recently found out that washing did allow me to cook successfully big batches in my pressure cooker. Unwashed is fine for up to 4 people and I have wasted a fair amount of rice unaware of this.
>>
>>7594215
If it's enriched no
And washing my rice has never made my rice any better or worse so there's no point to it for me, just an extra step

>>7594416
free protein though
>>
well less starch is never a bad thing.
>>
>>7594215
When I am at home cooking for myself, I don't usually bother (I tend to cook a lot of Basmati rice)

If I cook for others, then I do. Only because I like to show off how well I can cook rice, in a simple saucepan.
>>
Yes, because Talcum.
>>
>>7594215
As it happens I tried not washing my basmati today and it actually stuck and became slightly gunky on the bottom of the pan. So I would say continue with washing until it runs clear and soak for 30 mins or so then wash one last time and cook.
>>
>>7595493
Or you can go korean style and cook it extra, remove all the soft rice, then cook some more with a little bit of water. This makes brown crisped rice at the bottom of the pan, which is scraped off and typically eaten after the meal or saved for snacking. The little bits that won't scrape out easily are then boiled with additional water to make a toasted rice tea. Quite tasty and considered by many to a very healthy drink.
>>
>>7594215
for white race at least, thats where the added nutrients are
>>
>>7595493
Forgot to mention, I think using this approach you'll still want to wash your rice. It's straightforward, but Maangchi also has a good video/write-up on it for those of us who aren't already rice gurus.
>>
>>7596600
Is meant to reply to
>>7596596
>>
WASH AND RINSE YOUR RICE 2-3 TIMES FUCKING NEANDERTHALS
>>
>>7596598
>white race
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.