[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hot Dog Tortas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: hotdogtortaDeliciasMexicanas.0.jpg (20 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
hotdogtortaDeliciasMexicanas.0.jpg
20 KB, 400x266
Would you a hot dog torta? They're quickly becoming my secret shame and top guilty pleasure.

http://ny.eater.com/2016/4/19/11434692/hot-dog-tortas-salchicha
>>
>>7591241
I eat a hot dog for breakfast every day. (I work nights and wake up around 4:00PM, so it's not as weird as it sounds.)
>>
File: donpepetorta2.jpg (75 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
donpepetorta2.jpg
75 KB, 500x375
>>7591249
Hot dogs are popular in the breakfast style tortas with eggs. I lean toward the really over the top shit, though.
>>
>>7591241

lmao dude just eat them without remorse
salchicha tortas as they are called here in mexico are dime a dozen
>>
>>7591263
would eat.
>>
>>7591387
>dime a dozen
*diamond dozen
>>
>>7591241
google cachorro quente, hues has been making that shit since forever.
Its completely disgusting by the way
>>
torta al pastor is best familia
>>
I've had a torta that had a hot dog on it, in addition to other meats, and it wasn't terrible, but it's not something I'd order all the time. Although, if you're going to eat a hot dog, eating it in a torta is pretty perfect.
>>
>>7591684
Al pastor is best anyway. There a great little taqueria down the street from me that I order al pastor nachos from like some kind of crack whore. Why nachos? Because they really fucking pile the meat on them and the crisp parts of the meat stay crisp. Fuck, now I want some.
>>
File: bajn mexi2.jpg (174 KB, 1275x716) Image search: [Google]
bajn mexi2.jpg
174 KB, 1275x716
I like Vietnamese tortas..hot dog tortas are all over the place, they use the old shitty hotdogs from the day before to make them.
>>
>>7591387
>>7591574
>>7591706
>>7591721
I avoided them because it seemed silly to choose hot dogs in my torta when other tastier meats were available. But I have seen the light - salchichas are fucking great on a torta, especially in addition to other meats.
>>
>>7591263
Are you the Sunset Park guy?

If so, do you like Torta Cubana?
>>
>>7591387
So salchichas are hot dogs and chorizos are sausages?
>>
File: DonPepe.jpg (131 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
DonPepe.jpg
131 KB, 500x305
>>7591802
Yes. I had a Torta Cubana at Puebla de los Angeles Deli in South Slope. Good, but not as good as those at Don Pepe. Cute experience though, because the register was manned by a 12 year old girl whose mom was behind the plancha. The whole time she was putting the sandwich together her daughter was yelling at her to hurry up in Spanish. Then she proudly brought it to the table like she was presenting me with the finest meal in the world. Sofuckingcute, and a totally different experience from the three dudes on the plancha at Don Pepe taking your order and telling you it won't be ready for 25min because they're that slammed.
>>
>>7591878

Do you think it's worth getting from a taco truck?

And that's adorable haha, was she nice to you?
>>
>>7591892
>Do you think it's worth getting from a taco truck?
Why not? Any place with a plancha and a sandwich press can do them.
>And that's adorable haha, was she nice to you?
Me and my buddy were the only customers there (it was just past dinner time), and her behavior looked like a mix of trying to be "professional" and a little showing off in front of the men. My buddy and I were amused, for sure. On the way out I dropped a decent tip into the jar, thanked her and asked her to tell her mother it was delicious, which she promptly yelled across the room to mom. Mom waved as we walked out. If it weren't for Don Pepe being a little better and closer to where I live I'd be back in a heartbeat.
>>
>>7591938
Well good point, I might pick one up next time. But then again I still want to try all the different taco flavors. One of the ones I haven't had yet is tacos enchiladas, what are those like?

And aw, that's really cute of her
>>
>>7591938
Shoulda got her number
>>
>tfw no sweetheart Mexican gf
>>
>>7591969
>tacos enchiladas
At my local truck they're good, but chorizo scratches a similar itch in a way I find a little more satisfying. (Cabeza is my taco weakness).
>>7591979
Right, because there's absolutely nothing creepy about middle aged dudes flirting with underage girls. And in front of her mother, no less. Not even a bit creepy.
>>
>>7591999
Cabeza is the cheek taco, right?

And I'm guessing Chorizo is sausage, but what is the enchilada?

I also find it cool how Mexican cuisine has made use for every part of the cow, it reminds me of Native Americans with the buffalo.
>>
>>7592005
Cabeza is melon
>>
>>7592005
Cabeza is from the head, so cheek is part of it. Rich beefy taste with enough fat to carry the taco.
>what is the enchilada?
My truck translates it as "spicy pork".
>>
>>7592036
The idea of eating head, stomach, and tongue still weirds me out lol, but I think head would weird me out the least and taste the best
>>
>>7592043
I'm of the opinion if you're gonna kill the animal you really ought to use every but of it. Tongue is easy to make delicious, tripe a bit more challenging (though I've had great examples). Hell, I don't even want to know what the salchichas are made out of. Just put them on the damned torta and take my money.
>>
>>7591241
>torta
So it's just a sandwich? That's what Google says.
>>
>>7592073
It's a pressed sandwich made with the kinds of fillings you'd use for tacos along with refried beans, avocado, pickled jalapenos, onion, cilantro, lettuce and maybe some tomato. Other additions include hot dogs, breaded cutlets, ham, bacon, fried egg and Oaxacan cheese (which when accompanied with a couple leaves of the papalo herb changes the name of the sandwich to "cemita").

When you want a blast of white carbs, salt, fat and protein with just enough vegetable matter to fool you into thinking it's healthy they're a great choice. Also good when drinking.
>>
>>7592219
How do you re-fry beans? I never understood why people call them this in english, if in Spanish they just call them frijoles fritos, or refritos. Refritos meaning well fried not re-fried.
>>
>>7592227
Some English translations are terrible. A great example is all of our wine terminology, which is borrowed from French. Ends up sounding pretentious as hell in English.
>>
>>7592057
yeah good point.

Have you ever had mole poblano? I wanna try it but I'm not sure if I can get it without going to a more upscale restaurant due to its complexity.
>>
>>7592430
Mole poblano is very good. Definitely something to splurge for at a nicer place. At a cheap place you run the risk of the sauce being from a jar, which isn't worth paying for. It's also something you can make, though it's as complex as Indian food - lots of ingredients and fiddly little steps, so it takes lots of time. Not super hard though, and an excellent way to use up whatever is left of your holiday turkey after the next day's sandwiches. It's really fucking good with turkey, but you don't see that offered in restaurants very often, so you have to do it yourself.
>>
>>7592554
What dishes would it usually come in at a restaurant?

And what do Mexicans (Poblanos more specifically) usually eat at home, from your experience?
>>
>>7591721
What do they do with the hotdogs of the current day?
>>
>>7591999
here in mexico is pretty normal for men to be with young girls, so you shoulda atleast gave it a try
t.mexican
>>
>>7593591
Nice try, Donald
>>
>>7591721
Faggot
>>
>>7591714
Al pastor is my favorite, and my go-to, but it's still not an every time order for me. Some places I've found al pastor to be mediocre also, so I prefer to get it from the places I know make it delicious.

Salchica seems it would be hard to fuck up. I want to try one of these now.
>>
>>7592043
Mexican food does a pretty good job of making them not as off putting as they could potentially be. You could eat a taco de lengua (tongue) and not even know that it's anything but some regular fatty meat unless you looked at it. The meats tend to be shredded or chopped, compared to US style preparations that would want to serve you a whole tongue or head to dig into with a fork and knife.
>>
>>7592628
Mole plato or mole enchiladas seem to be the most common here in southern California. Can't say if it's different much in Mexico or wherever, but mole is very good. I think people usually prefer it withe poultry, as I do
>>
File: mi torta.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
mi torta.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Torta thread?

fuck yea, torta thread
>>
>>7595317
That's a particularly greasy example. Looks delicious.
>>
>>7595317
i dont understand what a torta is and how is it different from a sandwich.
Could you post a torta recipe?
>>
>>7595351
Think of it as an overstuffed Mexican panini sandwich. I explained it here >>7592219
>>
>>7595361
do i need a panini maker? is it just a fancy sandwich?
>>
>>7595367
It's usually pressed. I would not call it fancy - it's a pretty lowbrow dish - the kind of thing a construction worker would eat for lunch.
>>
>>7591249
https://youtu.be/pmLpSY5w6u0
>>
>>7591807
Close
>>
>Americans ruin another Mexican fod

For fucks sake...
>>
>>7595545
no, this is a mexican thing. I can only find tortas at local tiendas and taquerias where 90% of the customers are mexican and hot dog wiener is almost always an option
>>
File: Salchipapa_copy.jpg (146 KB, 1253x661) Image search: [Google]
Salchipapa_copy.jpg
146 KB, 1253x661
>>7595750
Absolutely. Salchichas are probably more popular in the Latin American world than in places where they're called hot dogs. South America is crazy over them, too.
>>
>>7595789
>south america is crazy over them
not really, thats just hues and apparently mexicans.
Rest of south america treats them as poberty food, it doesnt help that we dont have quality hot dogs, there is one expensive brand i like but its really hard to find
>>
>>7595806
>Rest of south america treats them as poberty food
Duh, but it's not like there aren't plenty of poor people there eating them.
>>
>>7595367
it's just a mexican sandwich. the thing that makes a torta is the same differences between hoagies, subs and banh mi. they're just different kinds of sandwiches.
>>
>>7595964
Generally they put refried beans in it though
>>
>>7595964
interestingly, I asked the girl who works at the taco truck (presumably US born) what her favorite thing on the menu was, she said the Torta Cubana

That surprised me since to me that seemed like the least "Mexican" thing they sold
>>
>>7595964
I don't know what your point is supposed to be. My point is they're fucking delicious.
>>
>>7595982
>seemed like the least "Mexican" thing they sold
Torta Cubana is totally Mexican. A Cuban sandwich would be a Cubano.
>>
Bruh putting sausage in a torta is the classic
Pic related is my go-to for tortas
>>
>>7596038
Oh I thought that meant "Cuban Sandwich".

I'm curious as to what she eats at home, I want to ask her one day
>>
>>7595982
It's a DF thing to be honest. Its popular all over mexico.
>>
File: hawaitorta.jpg (83 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
hawaitorta.jpg
83 KB, 800x500
>>7595982
also un Hawaianna
>>
>>7591807
Chorizo is a type of sausage
>>
A torta is more about the bread than what you put in it. Because it really just needs to be a bolillo, telera, birote with things inside.
>>
>>7595806
>Rest of south america treats them as poberty food
Perfect for us all then

t. colombiANO
>>
>>7592005
What do natives do with buffalo?
>>
>>7595545
>assuming this much
>>
>>7596174
They were from Puebla I think
>>
>>7596225
They used every part of it they could, whether for meat or tools
>>
>>7593591
Maybe 16 or 17. 12 year olds are off the table.
>>
>>7597157
Of course. But when they're showing off and trying to flirt in a childish way it is cute as hell. You gotta give them that.
>>
>>7596008
>i don't know what your point is supposed to be.

anon asked if it was a fancy sandwich. its not, its just a mexican sandwich. they're delish, but they are not fancy nor do you need a panini maker.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.