[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just got my san marzano tomatoes delivered and i'm finna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
just got my san marzano tomatoes delivered and i'm finna make a batch of this sauce

gonna use clarified butter instead of butter and normal olive oil instead of EVOO

any of you made it? any tips?
>>
>>7587717
>racism on a blue board
>>>/pol/

>>7587689
OP, Kenji lopez's recipes tend to be a pain in the ass and time-consuming, but probably taste good. I usually just follow the classic recipe (fried onions or garlic with tomato simmered on low for a few hours)
>>
butter will make it taste weird.
>>
>>7587793
>OP, Kenji lopez's recipes tend to be a pain in the ass and time-consuming,

yeah, don'do this. red sauce isn't a big secret and Jumanji Alt-Cuck is a fraud, basically.

i like Mario Batali's version if you really need a recipe
>>
>>7587689
I've made a hybrid butter/evoo sauce with the low and slow basil infusion. It was really good but tbqh not worth the effort. It's about the tomatoes above all else
>>
>>7587689
>butter in tomato sauce
I love kenji as much as anybody but please do not do this.
>>
>>7587798
>>7587804
this is what i do anyway. tastes good.

i just wanted to try this method because of the caramelisation thing
>>
>>7587802
how is he a fraud? I admit I don't have a huge ammount of success with all his recipes, but it's just fucking cooking.
>>
>>7587804

What's wrong with butter in tomato sauce

as long as he doesn't put fish sauce into it like he does everything else he does it should be fine.
>>
dont you have to impost san marzano from Italy?

That's some intense shit.

The pizzeria near my house uses those tomatos and their sauce is craycray
>>
>>7588126
yeah, i got six big tins (in total, about 10kg drained) for £36
>>
>>7587804
I used Kenji's chili recipe as a base; I had never made my own chili with dried peppers etc. before.

But anchovies, marmite, cocoa, soy sauce, etc all combined in the same chili pot? Yeah, no thanks.
>>
>>7588126
>dont you have to impost san marzano from Italy?

Any supermarket will have those. It's not exactly anything rare.
>>
>>7587841

he pretends to science but is actually just a practicing autist, everything he says is opinion masquerading in bullshit objective observation.

take this post as a perfect example

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/science-of-stew-why-long-cooking-is-bad-idea-overcook-beef.html

Did he thin nobody knew that you could overcook stew beef? Seriously? When every recipe since the beginning of time has a prescribed cooking time?

yet he wrote this whole damn thing and wasted like 3 pounds of beef to "prove" that you can overcook a beef stew.
No.
Shit.

>seriouslynigga.jpg
>>
>>7588199
He definitely practices the whole "pseudo-science OMG I'm such a nerd!!!" thing. I can really appreciate the (haphazard) application of the scientific method to cooking as an interesting way of exploring how variables affect the outcome... but he just grinds my gears.

And his cookbook apparently has pages and pages of shit on mundane topics like boiling an egg or frying potatoes.

But hey, it's "SCIENCE"!!! I
>>
>>7588193
my supermarket only has roma (when it comes to plum tomatoes)
>>
>>7588157
What. The. Fuck.

Man, I disliked KLA before, but that's fucking RIDICULOUS. I'm actually a little angry now after reading that.
>>
>>7588248
He called it an "umami bomb". It's like saying, "sweetness is nice in this dish" and hammering the patron's tongue with 11 sources of sweetness.

I figured a half-Japper would understand the concept of nuances and minimalism, but apparently he only inherited the smarr penis and ability to commit crimes against humanity (via his kitchen).

But like I said, his base instructions and recipe helped me out when I was making chili with actual dried chilis, not ground meat, etc.
>>
>>7588199
>>7588240
Yes

There's an article on polenta on SE and it's bullshit. It says to use 4:1 or 5:1 water because it's "the best" and "anybody who uses less water is doing it wrong because we did le science". Only problem is that after doing my own testing I much prefer 2:1 or 2.5:1 because 5:1 is just a fucking tasteless goo.

So bottom line, fuck that site.
>>
>>7588152
Where? I've been trying to find them for a while
>>
>>7588257

I like the polenta recipe on SE and I think it's by the other nigga anyways
>>
>>7588299

seriouseats is a great site but JKCuck is easily the worst writer on it right now. Some of his early stuff was good, but he's been a long time out of the hands of an editor or a critical audience.

he did hire some excellent food writers tho
>>
>>7587717
>>>/pol/
>>>/b/
>>
>>7587689

DID YOU MAKE THE FuCKING SAUCE YET

PLEASE DELIVER OP
>>
>>7588269
lupafoods.co.uk

>>7588657
i'll start it in a few hours
>>
>>7587870
From Italy here.
FYI, my area actually does make (and use) fish sauce.

My family's most common use for it is chard/beet greens stir-fried in olive oil with garlic and chillies then finished with a couple shakes of fish sauce.

If we use it for a pasta dish or tomato sauce, we don't usually salt the pasta water/sauce itself and instead add the fish sauce at the table. It's incredibly salty and very strong in flavour, so just a shake or two is enough for a serving.
A common use in the region is to par-boil spaghetti or linguine in unsalted water as you simultaneously heat up some olive oil with garlic and chillies in a pan on low heat. When the garlic begins to turn adequately crispy, the pasta is added and tossed about to coat, a little of its cooking water added at a time to cook it through.
When it's just about done, a little fish sauce and chopped parsley is added and tossed through, then the dish is served.
>>
>>7588257
I never knew SE's polenta recipe because, well... I grew up eating the stuff and I don't need anyone else's recipe for it. But I've always used 4:1 water:corn meal and it comes out absolutely perfectly every single time.
This makes me wonder what I'm doing that differs from what you're doing.
>>
>just got my san marzano tomatoes delivered

doesn't get more meme than this folks
>>
>>7590866
top haha

i'm about to go lift. will buy some basil and other stuff on the way back and then get started.
>>
>>7588241
Roma tomatoes are also pretty good IMO, a bit underrated, you won't be dissapointed with them.
>>
File: IMG_20160420_172504.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_172504.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
time to get started

garlic minced
>>
just dropping by to say kenji's useful if you pick and choose which tips to use

for example he adds a touch of vodka to the breading of his general tso's chicken to make it crispier, shit really works

but following his recipes to the letter takes literally all day and probably several ingredients that would make a grandmother from that food's culture shout. his french fry recipe and texas chili recipes stand out to me as the most obviously misguided.

seriously no one has eaten chili like that since the 1800s and i mean that as a knock against him
>>
>>7591340 here

i should also note that he puts fish sauce in fucking everything, i swear someday he'll put it in cheesecake or something
>>
File: IMG_20160420_174938.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_174938.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
just letting it get to the boil then it's going in the oven. see you in a couple of hours
>>
>>7590666
Nothing, we just have a different preference. Using half as much water gives a different consistency with a more intense, concentrated taste. It also doesn't take as long to cook and results in crispy loafs when you cool and bake.
>>
>>7591302
thats a fine mince
>>
>>7591370
thanks

i just realised the pan might not be oven safe...

it's aluminium with a wooden handle. the oven's only on gas mark 2 (300 F). is it gonna be ok?
>>
>>7588241
Lemme give you a brotip: D.O.M./PDO/whatever are all bullshit. The Romas grown by Mexicans, available at your local grocer, are every bit as good as your meme-brand Romas. You are literally giving money to a bunch of American-jailing assholes across the planet when you could be giving less money to Paco down the street instead. Don't buy into the protected designation of origin meme.
>>
>>7591416
no. It's going to char the handle

http://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html
>>
>>7591453
yeah i went and checked just after making that post and the handle was slightly fucked. i've transferred the sauce to a stainless steel pot.
>>
bump for OP, this shit ought to be done baking by now.

what's it taste like
>>
>>7592471
it tastes good but no better than my usual method desu
>>
>>7587793
>racism on a blue board
>/pol/
This if 4chins you reddit scum.
>>
File: anon's marie's sauce.jpg (4 MB, 1250x6482) Image search: [Google]
anon's marie's sauce.jpg
4 MB, 1250x6482
>>
>>7592619

Awesome, good to know. Thanks for posting OP
>>
>>7587689
>normal olive oil instead of EVOO

Jesus this is pure degeneracy. Non-virgin is just flavourless cooking fat, you might as well be using vegetable oil.

Good Italian cooking is 90% about ingredients, EVOO is absolutely crucial. Don't waste your good tomatoes on the wrong ingredients.
>>
>>7592658

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGqtjcyxlQ
>>
>>7592857
>might as well be using vegetable oil
He is. Olive is vegetable. Plz be kill.
>>
>>7587689
gtfo here op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBDP2zG6Gc
>>
>>7592862
Please tell me this is bait.
>>
>>7592862
>>might as well be using vegetable oil
Olive is a fruit. Go put your hand in a toaster.
>>
why not normal butter lol?

normal butter be better for this yo

but you do you

my calabian as fuck aunt do this u good either way boo
>>
>>7590659
you talkin like the fermented shit?
>>
>>7587689
What the fuck does finna mean? Is that some sort of nigger speak?
>>
>>7593150
>finna mean

it's short for "fixin' to" and it is considered a classic expression of African-American Vernacular English(AAVE), yes
>>
>>7593220
So it's butchered English? No wonder they don't do well in school.
>>
>>7593220
>African-American Vernacular English
Ooga booga bix nood
>>
>>7590659
Like Thai fish sauce, or colatura?
>>
>>7593261

Black do not have a monopoly on talking like retards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XyecKONu8
>>
>>7592857
and any virgine olive oil you gonna heat, especially for HOURS, is going to lose that flavour almost instantly.
>>
>>7587798
I always use butter in my tomato sauce, turns out velvety and goat
>>
>>7593261
>le language should be static because I don't like things that are different than myself maymay
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.