[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 20
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread ( QTDDTOT ) belong here. Mine involves pic related: I've just gotten into cooking more ( I learned I could actually afford it! ) and bought these knives and would like /ck/ to tell me how you think I did.
>>
File: he-chose-poorly[1].jpg (26 KB, 565x405) Image search: [Google]
he-chose-poorly[1].jpg
26 KB, 565x405
>>7587646
>>
File: lastwordonknives.jpg (327 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
lastwordonknives.jpg
327 KB, 1136x852
>>7587646
Wal-mart tier knives at higher than wal-mart price.
Bunch of useless sizes/types you don't need
Where are your sharpening supplies?
>>
>>7587669
>>7587679
Noted; I will visit /ck/ first next time and forgo the reviews.

>>7587679
Neat book; very entertaining read from the pages you showed. I think I'll pick up a copy. Ty for showing.
>>
>>7587646
>Cold Steel

it's like I've stepped into a /k/ troll thread
>>
>>7587646
Send it back. Order a victoronix chefs knife, paring knife, and bread knife

Wa la
>>
You bough so pretty crap knives OP, but please resist this anon's (>>7587679) implication that you need to turn sharpening into some autistic ritual.
>>
>>7587646OP
I didn't know they made kitchen knifes
How are they?
>>
>>7587730
Good thinking; can cancel that order.
>>7587740
So I've been told. What knives would you recommend instead?
>>7587743
Well they seem to have great reviews but /ck/ seems pretty against them and I trust /ck/ more than I trust amazon reviews.
>>
>>7587679

He's going to start by using the biggest knife and then move onto the next one when it gets dull. In a year he'll be using steak knives for everything, and insisting that one in particular is the best knife in the entire block.

It's literally what happens every time someone buys a cheap knife set without doing any research.
>>
>>7587749
Someone already mentioned Victorinox. They make good knives for the price.
>>
>>7587740
>implication that you need to turn sharpening into some autistic ritual.

I intended no such thing. I simply meant that he needs something to sharpen them with. Rituals are silly, a simple honing rod and a cheap stone are all he needs.
>>
>>7587763
honesty this guy will be served just fine by a simple pull sharpener
>>
>>7587769
Sure, that would be fine too. I just meant he needs *something* to sharpen with.
>>
File: wtfamireading.jpg (66 KB, 514x400) Image search: [Google]
wtfamireading.jpg
66 KB, 514x400
>>7587679
>mfw everything in your pic is backwards and completely wrong
>mfw 60+ rockwell global is supposed to be easier to sharpen than 56-57 german steel
>mfw implying wusthof/victorinox/sabatier are more expensive than global
>mfw they're supposed to be heavy
>mfw global and their horrible ergonomics was last decades meme and they're no more common in professional settings than anything else
>mfw 3/4 of the text tries to hammer home that you only need one knife for everything when the last fourth is basically 'oh, yeah, and then all of these too'
Jesus fuck anon, how did you find so much bullshit in just two pages of text?
>>
>>7587800
cant honestly say I know that it was right even back then but are you aware that book was written basically 16 years ago?
>>
>>7587800
Your reading comprehension seems to be poor.

>>sharpening
Nowhere does it say that the harder knife is easier to sharpen. The implication is that it needs sharpening less frequently because it's harder.

>>price
All of those german lines offer both cheap knives, and higher end knives as well. Their higher end lines are every bit the same price as Global (et. al.).

>>supposed to be heavy
Not when you're using them 12 hours a day, like the author is.

>>global ergonomics
lemme guess, you're still using the "fist grip" for your knives?

>>oh yeah and then all of these too
Did you even read the text involved? It clearly states those other knives are for specific purposes only. What part of "other knives you MIGHT find useful...." do you not understand?
>>
>>7587800

Everything he says is basically correct though.

I love my Global, but it's pretty obvious Bourdain was getting paid to recommend them. Even in the show he does it and makes a face into the camera as though he had no choice but to take the money and make the advertisement.
>>
>>7587834
>but it's pretty obvious Bourdain was getting paid to recommend them

What makes you say that? This book pre-dates all of his TV success. When we wrote this he was a just another work-his-ass-off chef in a mid-tier restaurant. It's highly unlikely he was sponsored by anyone at the time. Nobody even knew who he was until this was published.
>>
>>7587856

He still had to take the book to a publisher before getting it published.
>>
>>7587646
Is Sous Vide a meme or are they actually decent to work with?

I'm not really getting any cons out the idea other than the excessive cooking time
>>
>>7587866

Sure, and? What does that have to with whether or not Global would pay him to promote their knives?
>>
>>7587873

When the publisher read the book and thought, "wow, a down to earth, behind the scenes picture of what a cook's life is like is going to sell well!", they most likely also approached sponsors.
>>
File: dp_f810.jpg (988 KB, 1600x1543) Image search: [Google]
dp_f810.jpg
988 KB, 1600x1543
>>7587824
>Not when you're using them 12 hours a day, like the author is.
Nigga, the B does not chop vegetables all day. His prepp/line cooks do that. Do you even restaurant?
>lemme guess, you're still using the "fist grip" for your knives?
Let me guess, you've never actually had your hand cramp up on you when doing knife work for twelve hours straight? Pincer does not require a thin handle, or the absurd taper towards the blade.
The thin handle means your hand is cramping up, and the stupid taper-into-blade-with-no-where-to-but-your-two-fingers-against-when-drawing-back means your grip is less secure. This is why every sane professional chef abandoned that shit within a year or two.

Nothing else you wrote is even worth a reply.
>pic related is my main weapon. no, you dont have to like it.

>>7587749
Third recommendation for Victorinox from me. Solid knives, easy to sharpen, cheap and no bullshit. Actually prefer the Fibrox handles to their rosewood though. The rosewood ones are a bit too squared in some places, and can sometimes need a bit of sanding to not leave wood in your skin.
>>
>>7587896
You've got to be kidding me.

But hey, if that's what you want to think don't let me stop you. Carry on.
>>
>>7587908
>>pic related is my main weapon. no, you dont have to like it.

Looks like Bourdain himself would approve.

Why do people get caught up on "GLOBAL" and not recognize it's simply an example of Japanese-style chef's knives?
>>
>>7587915
For the same reason no sane person would recommend the 301 - the handle design is objectively shit. Nothing wrong with the blade, but some hip graphic design bureau had a major ergonomics brainfart.
>gee, these lines look awesome
>who cares if its usable
>>
>>7587915

Probably because you can go to any store with a kitchen section and actually look at them and handle them, which you should be doing instead of blindly ordering something off the internet you've never held.

Virtually nobody who doesn't work in a professional kitchen has ever seen a MAC knife, despite their popularity, unless they blindly ordered one without ever trying it out.
>>
>>7587749
>>7587743
>>7587646
/ck/ are generally elitist fags and "chefs". -> hence knifes meant for professional use.

They are decent knifes that hold their edge quite well. and work well as a strarter knifes. they are machine washable but it will ruing the handles in long run.

tl;dr nothing wrong with them for casual use. could have done better, could have done much worse.
>>
>>7588260

>he bought a shitty set of knives and is in such self-denial about it he's actually recommending them to other people
>>
File: 622-d-004.jpg (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
622-d-004.jpg
5 KB, 400x400
>>7587679

I am saving this image and shall repost in future shitstorm knife threads like this one.

it says what i always say, but i won't have to type it again.

the only thing i will add is that instead of global (which is fine) you can also look at Dexter-Russell and Victorinox Forschner Fibrox which are the work horses in most commercial kitchens with excellent ergonomics on the handle.

I don't think most home chefs need a deboning knife, but if you do a lot of it then maybe it's for you. I do enough of it to NOT need one and have never had a hard time just using an 8 inch chefs.

I absolutely second the paring knife suggestion as coring strawberries and removing bad parts of small produce, or potato eyes (for example) is much easier with a small knife. for potato eyes though, i realized that just taking my speed peeler and gouging out part of it with part of the handle is perfectly fine. it's about speed and efficiency and using what you already have.

I have a wusthof block that i got as a wedding present full of wusthof steel and I will never speak ill of those knives... they have been magnificent. but they aren't needed, and i rarely ever pull anything out of the block which isn't an 8 inch chefs, a bread knife, or a 12 or 9 cm paring knife... (slicing and coring apples [12cm] and coring strawberries [9cm])

After these 3 (or 4) knives the next thing is a nice JAPANESE CLEAVER. there is nothing sexier than a big ass japanese cleaver flying through fresh veg. (but this is really for people with too much money, and folks who are overly concerned with the aesthetics of life)
>>
>>7587646
>>7588260

OP, no matter the knife - never machine wash.

The temperatures in the machine are high enough to erode the blade tempering over long time periods and over enough cycles. The handle material will degrade in some cases but that is a matter of what the handle is made of.

if you want to keep your knives in good condition then only hand wash. this is a good habit to get into if you are a knife block person. done using the knife? wash it, rinse it, dry it, put it back in the block. it's a pretty easy routine to fall into.
>>
>>7588341
2nding the suggestion for Dexter. They are pretty much identical to the often-recommended Victorinox Fibrox, yet they are about half the price because they haven't received the same degree of endorsements from magazines, etc. If you want one of those buy the Dexter and save yourself some cash.

That being said, knives like that are very different from the Global (etc.). The Victorinox/Dexter are workhorse knives for the commercial kitchen. They're better than supermarket or wal-mart tier crap but cost about the same. They're highly durable, dishwasher safe, etc. Highly recommended for beginning cooks since they're made to handle restaurant abuse.

OTOH, the Global and other Japanese-style Chef's knives are thinner and harder steel. That makes them feel much "sharper" and they keep their edge longer. But that added hardness also makes them less forgiving of abuse. That's something to keep in mind.

Personally I like the boning knife because it makes an excellent stand-in for a fillet knife. It's very practical if you hunt or fish, but if you don't need to do any of that work then yeah, don't bother for home use.

I'm not a fan of paring knives for home cooking. Their main purpose is carving dainty little garnishes and that's something that most home cooks don't do. The point of a chef's knife (or the point of a peeler) will suffice for what a typical home cook would need.
>>
>>7588260
>hence knifes meant for
Cutting. The word you're lookig for is cutting.
Holy Moses, are you ever rationalizing. You bought a family pack of knife shaped objects. Think of it as tuition, buy an actual knife and get over it. People have made worse screw-ups.
>>
>>7588358

>work in kitchens for 4 years
>knives get machine washed every fucking day
>machine is like 9 trillion degrees
>handles are fine
>blades are fine
>sharp as fuck

its a fucking knife. it cuts things. its not a $100,000 scientific instrument that breaks if it gets a spec of dust on it. buy a cheap one that you like the weight/length of. if it sucks throw it in the fucking trash and buy another cheap one. still better off than buying a japanese meme astroid 1 million folds knife. you won't be doing enough cutting at home for personal use to quickly deteriorate knives.
>>
>>7588358
>The temperatures in the machine are high enough to erode the blade tempering over long time periods

Lol, not even close.

>>The handle material will degrade in some cases but that is a matter of what the handle is made of.

Yes, that is true. Though it's highly exaggerated. I have a cheap P.O.S. santoku that a roommate left in my house years ago. I use it as a general purpose kitchen bitch and throw it in the dishwasher every time it needs cleaning. It's been in my place for nine years now, been through the dishwasher countless times, and it's still fine. The wood handle shows some faint discoloration but it's still mechanically solid. If a cheap-ass knife can handle abuse like that you bet a mainstream one can handle it too.

There's also the risk of the knife banging against other objects in the washer, or the risk of someone accidentally cutting themselves by not noticing the knife in there while emptying the dishwasher; I think those are the main reasons why people recommend hand-washing knives.
>>
>>7587740

Aww, look at babby thar can't even sharpen his kitchen knives. Stay mad, rustled and asspained that you use dull knives because you don't know how to maintain them :^)

It's not that hard to learn and doesn't take very long to do, and if you aren't going to bother to maintain your knives then it really doesn't matter which ones you buy since they'll all be butter knives shortly.
>>
>>7588411

I don't understand why people don't just wash their knives right when they're don'e using them. It literally takes 5 seconds under hot water.

Leaving them out on the counter, putting them in the dish washer or, worst of all, throwing them in the sink is only asking for someone to get hurt, or more likely hurt the knife by putting something on top of it.
>>
>>7587800
>>7587824
>>7587834

Why would anyone expect a chef to know dick all about knives beyond what they happen to find comfortable to use?

Light is a sensible choice for extended use, and if he found the grip comfortable on the Global it isn't surprising he would recommend them.
>>
>>7588434

>why would anyone expect a chef to know dick all about knives
>why would anyone expect someone at the top of their profession to know dick all about tools designed specifically for that profession
>>
File: beyond-epic-facepalm.jpg (67 KB, 640x684) Image search: [Google]
beyond-epic-facepalm.jpg
67 KB, 640x684
>>7588434
>>
>>7588453

Let me clarify for you: I would expect them to know something about blade shape, blade size and handle ergonomics.

I would most certainly not expect them to know anything about steel choices and heat treatments, or even sharpening because, frankly, most chefs don't even sharpen their own knives.

Here, let me make an analogy for you: How much does a random chick on the street know about how cars work? She still drives every day, doesn't she?
>>
>>7588427

>cut 3 pounds of raw chicken
>run knife under water
>gewd to go
>>
>>7588496

>he thinks 3 pounds is a lot
>he doesn't store his knife in a bucket of sanitizer between use
>>
>>7588512

no one uses the sanitizer bucket in a professional kitchen either. they just keep it there incase the health inspector shows up.

the fuck would you keep a sanitizer bucket in your kitchen at home.
>>
>>7588476
>Here, let me make an analogy for you: How much does a random chick on the street know about how cars work? She still drives every day, doesn't she?
Exactly. She drives. She doesn't work on cars. Ask her, if she is a professional fucking driver, how much she knows about driving and I suddenly made your retarded analogy relevant.
The professional driver might not know how to build a car, but she might know a thing or two about which drive well.
You need to be put down, m80. Please >>7588466
>hurrdurr i can make up non-analogous anologies and pretend they prove my point
>>
>>7588518

>he doesn't own a home sanitizer bucket
>>
>>7588476
You argument is that you shouldn't ask a random chef to forge a knife for you.
In related news, you shouldn't ask your carpenter to do your forrestry, your butcher to do your cattle ranching, your pilot to build your airplane or your mailman to write your letters.

Thank you for that valueable insight, anon. You did well. Collect your good-boy points and tendies.
>>
>>7588519

Yes.

Because most F1 drivers know anything about the design and engineering of a racing car.

Being good at using a tool does not make you good at designing those tools, or even really understanding what makes goes into making a good tool.

Again, most chefs don't even hand sharpen their own knives, sadly.

>>7588552

I'm not the one who acted surprised that Bourdain didn't know shit about steels or sharpening. I was explaining WHY Bourdain shouldn't be expected to have the knowledge of a knife designer/maker.
>>
>>7588562
So, to sum up:
>>7588552
"Yes."

I'm glad you shared that insight with us. We were just going to ask B to manufacture his own line of knives. Forged personally. Because that's what the threads about.
>cant make this autistic shit up

Moving on, it seems /n/ more or less agreed that a decent 20-27cm chefs knife, serrated bread knife, small paring knife and pealer is the reasonable baseline.
Are there any good such starter packs that we can recommend to the target demographic of >>7587646 value pack KSOs?
>>
>>7588595

I've never seen such a starter pack offered as one item, but you can easily just order the parts seperately.

The serrated knife, paring knife, and peeler would be your industrial foodservice brands like Victorinox Forschner, Dexter-Russel, or similar.

Then pick whatever Chef's knife you like.

Don't forget a means of sharpening said knives.
>>
>>7588601
Yes but it obviously wouldn't be for me. It's just that this question keeps popping up both here and in real life, and such a resource would be awesome. Writing down Victorinox model numbers will make normie eyes glaze over in half a second, and five minutes later we have this thread. Again.
>>
If you want to buy a knife block, they are about 3.50 at goodwill and are just a block of wood. pretty hard to fuck that up new or used...

If you want to get hipster shit cool about it you can sand the whole thing down, knock some large chunks out of it and fill it in with glow in the dark epoxy bullshit. sand it again and restain it and seal it.

it'll be way cooler than any standard knife block and cost you way less too.

you can post it to imgur and make front page - woot. then you can do a vertical here for extra happy anon points!
>>
>>7588627
Still not getting it I see. And why do you insert blank lines fucking everywhere?
>>
>>7588627

>3 dollar knife block to be an ugly waste of counter space
>not buying a $200 global wall magnet to proudly display the knives you spent years researching and saving up to purchase
>>
File: wu_9660.png (380 KB, 1280x407) Image search: [Google]
wu_9660.png
380 KB, 1280x407
>>7587646
Ultimate home cook starter pack found - and it's the Wüsthof 9660. Pic related.
>>
>>7588738

I'd agree except for the bread knife. It's too short and the handle is not offset. Not bad, but certainly not ideal. And there's really no point in buying the paring and bread knife from a fancy brand. Something like the Victorinox or Dexter will be less expensive and more durable.
>>
>>7588738

No. Victorinox and Dexter are much better values.
>>
File: kitchen_in_a_box.jpg (120 KB, 1024x791) Image search: [Google]
kitchen_in_a_box.jpg
120 KB, 1024x791
how does /ck/ feel about pic related? It costs under $200 ( black version is cheapest ) on Amazon and I'm thinking of giving it as a wedding present.
>>
>>7588750
>>7588755
I would agree, but they don't seem to have similar sets. And the point of it being a set is you can get people who think buying individual knives is for gastro autists to actually buy it.

Have we even convinced OP to buy his Victorinox yet?
>>
>>7588768
You cruel individual.
>>
>>7588768

Looks like a bunch of garbage, not even worth what they're charging for the sum of the parts.
>>
>>7588768
I'll catch hellfire flames for this, but the IKEA 365+ starter sets aren't half bad and more than good enough to start a home with.
>>
>>7587646
you wasted your money OP
>>
>>7588768

If you like these people, go to your nearest chinatown or kitchen supply area and put a "kitchen in a box" together for them. It'll be cheaper, better quality, more personal, and fun for you.

If you don't really care, just get that, there's a couple pieces that might be useful, but most of it is trash.

Just looking at it
- Boos Block style, bigger, and can be had for about 15$ - looking on amazon they're quite expensive, but my chinatown has them for under 20$ for 24inch x 16inch
-Ikea Pot and Skillet, non-stick anodized, about 20-25$
-Chinese knife(for the lulz), way more fun to use, durable, and the chinese dude who sold it to you can sharpen it for 5$. 20-50$
- Drying Rack, even nice ones can be had for 5$
-Tool Holder, get a fancy thing from some antique store or dollar store.5-10$
- Essential tools - tongs - For home, I prefer silicone tips, if they're careful people, go ahead with stainless
rubber scraper, whisk, ladel, pastry knife(plastic), peeler, paring knife(5$ henkels)
Measuring cups - you can get metal ones at kitchen supply stores for similar prices to wal-mart dollar store cups
Glass liquid measuring cup
These should set you back in the 20-40$ range, mileage will vary.
-Mixing bowl - biggest you can handle and store reasonably is best, you can get smaller ones later. It's inconvient to do small batches in big bowls, but not as inconvenient as doing large batches in small bowls 15-30$

Total is under 200$ canadian, but your local prices may be different, this is just a ball park idea. Also, standard setup for anyone wondering what do I need for my home kitchen. Super tight budgets can potentially get this under 60$ but the quality will suffer.
>>
>>7588832

He was being lazy.

Might as well just get them a blender and let them pick out their own cookware.
>>
File: dm0706_slide2.jpg (57 KB, 1020x400) Image search: [Google]
dm0706_slide2.jpg
57 KB, 1020x400
Looking to get a real nice Chef's knife for my wife's birthday, and it's pretty much down to the Shun Classic 8" or Shun Premiere. Pretty sure there's zero difference, but does /ck/ use any Shun knives, and if so, which one? What steps do you take to keep them from chipping and shit? Also, I'm assuming you don't need anything larger than 8" for a Chef's knife?
>>
>>7588669

>Scratching up the polish on your overly expensive highly polished knives
>1986 plus 30 years

shiggy
>>
>>7588857

I prefer the handle/feel of a Global over a Shun, though I think Shun's look nicer. If you read through the thread I think you'll find that there's a lot of personal preference involved, and I honestly wouldn't buy something as personal as an expensive chef's knife for someone without knowing they like it.

But yeah, unless your wife is 7 feet tall, an 8" chef's knife is fine.
>>
>>7588738

This is an excellent starter set, however it is true that the bread knife should be bigger. (good luck cutting through a 10 inch boule with a 7 inch knife) offset is a matter of preference and I don't think it's necessary. looks like shit in a knife block...

i would spend a little cash on a nice big chefs knife and pairing knife - but anything serrated... it doesn't fucking matter who made it. might as well go dumpter diving, goodwill shopping or geting the tramontina with rose wood handle from walmart... serrated is serrated.
>>
>>7588862

Knife magnets don't scratch up knives unless you're an idiot, in which case you shouldn't have nice things to begin with. And thanks for reminding me that I'm over 30.
>>
>>7588857

if you disassemble watermelons regularly you might want a 10 inch or machete. But it can still easily be done with an 8 inch.
>>
File: 1270895200387.jpg (14 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1270895200387.jpg
14 KB, 350x350
>>7588886
>if you disassemble watermelons regularly
wat
>>
>>7588880

At first i wrote 1986 + 20... then I realized i am hella old too..

>frownyEmoticon.pdf

And magnets absolutely will scratch up your steel - especially if it is mirror polished - which a lot of common ground steel won't have much of an issue with.. but a shun or global certainly might depending on model.

You can't help but have the blade snap to the magnet and that is going to scratch up your knives no matter how careful - unless you were to hipster crotchet a magnetic knife holder sweater for your shit.... or see if someone makes a polycarbonate version?

I like the idea of magnets in theory, but in practice they can scratch and your kitchen has to have a wall the correct size and height. since most american kitchens are just chocked full of cabinets it can be difficult to find the wall space. counter top space (under all those fucking ridiculous cabinets) is usually pretty easy to find and a knife block instantly ends up being a great way to put your knives in an easy place to access where they won't take up any drawer/cabinet space.
>>
>>7588886

I would assume he already has a decent enough katana collection to take care of his "disassembling watermelons" needs.
>>
>>7588901
>thatsRacist.mpg4
>>
>>7588909
wooden magnetic knife racks are very common
>>
What is the best combination of toppings on a pizza?

Hard mode: no meat allowed
>>
>>7588857

Shun and Global are way overpriced for what they offer. Tojiro DP offers a much better value.
>>
why are there so many posts on /ck/ about knives, but so few about cooking? only been lurking here for about a month but it seems like 95% of discussion here is knives, fast food, and "is cast iron a meme" threads
>>
>>7587646
whenever i try to fry chicken tenders it takes forever but i have seen my mom make them in just a couple of minutes and i cant figure out how she does it
Maybe she uses especial oil? or its the free range chicken she says she buys
any ideas?
>>
>>7588394
I like this comment
>>
>>7589055
Black olives, mushrooms, pineapple
>>
>>7587646
04/19/16(Tue)02:41:06

Yeah, fuck you dude. We already had one, and you ruined it because you wanted attention. Lrn2catalog
>>
>>7589055
no cheese, sauce, pickles and anchovies.
But its much better with bacon
>>
>>7589268
>>7587646

Oh, and if you just wanted a knife debate, be a fucking man and start a knife thread.
>>
Is tuna consumption actually dangerous?
I eat about two cans a day, will I die?
>>
>>7589268
>>7589271
I used ctrl+f and did not find a QTDDTOT. Also, I didn't want this thread to exclusively be a knife debate but a place with a lot of questions and answers given on /out/ and /k/ these threads typically do very well at getting a wide variety of q/a on different topics related to those boards.

>>7590592
I used to eat two cans a day and felt great but I was eating chuck and that supposedly has a lot less mercury/other toxins than canned tuna albacore/steaks. Don't quote me on that but that is just what I've heard/read.
>>
How do you all feel about Opinel's kitchen products? It seems you guys really like the Victorinox items ( nothing wrong with that ) but I know a lot of Opinel is a name often thought of when thinking quality too.
>>
>>7592090
Folding knives are complete shit, tableware looks and handles like surplus store 10c garbage. Both products that school children might have done in crafts. Never tried their chef knives but have no real desire to do so either.
Frogs and francophiles hype the brand because hurr durr Charlemagne.
>>
I've been looking at knife sets lately and notice most of the ones I've found don't include a carving fork. Is there a reason ( maybe the carving fork is something uneeded the average joe has been tricked into "needing" or you can do it with the kitchen sheers, etc. ) for not having a carving fork?
>>
>>7592127
Knife blocks are kitchen- and cooking tools. Table- and serving tools like carving fork and -knife come in separate sets.
>>
>>7592127

Why do you need a carving fork, and how exactly would you use kitchen shears as a replacement?

Just use tongs.
>>
>>7592139
>Just use tongs.
At the table? Pleeb. Plastic tableware too, eh?
>>
File: castaway.gif (417 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
castaway.gif
417 KB, 500x288
are modern pressure cookers still the bombs they use to make?
>>
>>7592152

So you're going to use kitchen shears at the table instead? If anything, carving at the table is pleb; just doing it in kitchen like a civilized person.
>>
>>7592163
>So you're going to use kitchen shears at the table instead?
No, I'll use a fucking carving fork. What kind of retard are you? Also confirmed for american with no manners or class who thinks carving at the table is anything but serving-staff-in-uniform class.
>>
>>7592127
I am above poster. I feel >>7592163 is right about carving in the kitchen ( in spite of people annoyingly carving at the table; ugh. ) which is why I was expecting a carving fork to come in block set considering so many sets come with carving knives.
>>
>>7592160
It's a pressure vessel and that's the point... They have safety valves and always have had.
>>
>>7592193
>I feel >>7592163 is right about carving in the kitchen
He's not. That's how you serve a roast - the serving staff or host carves it at (but not on) the table. Be less american.
>>
>>7592213

>host carves it at (but not on) the table

So now you're going to claim you roll a cart out to the table (surely with white tablecloth) and carve each guest's portion tableside?

I bet you haven't even moved out of your parents' house.
>>
>>7592114

No, they are not. Opinel folding knives offer excellent performance for the money and will massively outperform most overpriced tacticool badly sharpened pry bars because Opinel's actually have reasonably thin blades.
>>
File: spyderco_santoku_k08bk.jpg (42 KB, 700x296) Image search: [Google]
spyderco_santoku_k08bk.jpg
42 KB, 700x296
How do you feel about Spyderco's kitchen knives? link pic related: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?category=2
>>
>>7592240

Ergonomics are laughable, sadly, as I would have bought it otherwise based on who was heat treating and QC'ing it.
>>
>>7592246
Does you mean the heat treat and QC good? I could live with bad ergonomics at that price if the actual knife itself holds up.
>>
>>7592225
>So now you're going to claim you roll a cart out to the table (surely with white tablecloth) and carve each guest's portion tableside?
That's the way you use a carving set, yes. And that's the reason it's not included in kitchen knife blocks. You don't use carving forks in the kitchen, because it's a serving tool. It's also not included in your standard silverware set, because most people do not have a serving cart. It's a specialised, separate set for fancy serving.
Was this realy hard to understand?
>>
>>7592264

Spyderco does very good heat treatments and quality control, one of the best out there.
>>
File: bon_apetit.jpg (118 KB, 1200x752) Image search: [Google]
bon_apetit.jpg
118 KB, 1200x752
>>7592236
I'm your (You). I'll concede the blades are decent, but the folding mechanism is complete shit, the handles are laughably badly finished and just look at pic related. Tell me it just screams quality and luxury to you.
They look even cheaper in person and weigh/feel like you're holding a plastic fork.
>>
>>7592266

>you don't use carving forks in the kitchen, because it's a serving tool
>it's a serving tool

No, it's first and foremost used to hold down a large piece of meat while you cut it (which is why I initially said to just use tongs). It's also just a useful tool to have in the kitchen for a bunch of other random things, which is why many pro cooks keep one in their knife rolls.

>you can only use a carving fork if you have a serving cart

You watch too many movies.
>>
>>7592302
>many pro cooks keep one in their knife rolls
KEK!

I AM a pro cook you retard. I've never seen one single example of that in all the fine dining restaurants I've ever worked. Not in any kit in any restaurant, in fact. We keep all kinds of shit in our kit like rulers, pliers, favourite spoons for quenelling and every imaginable usefull tool, but never a carving fork.
In the kitchen you use tongs. Not in place of a carving fork, but because it's the standard kitchen tool. Using a carving fork in stead of a tong will get you ridiculed.

Confirmed faggot for all your white-space. Surest sign of summer.
>>
>>7592322

>m-my anecdotal evidence is better than yours
>s-summer!
>>
>>7592114
Opinel folders are /out/ approved and I know /out/ is not full of francophiles. I'm asking about their kitchen knives though.

>>7592288
Thanks for the input; much appreciated. Also, nice dubs.
>>
>>7587669
>>7587679
>>7587727
>>7587730
>>7587740
>>7588800

What makes the knives O.P. chose bad? Legit curious; reviews for the knife set ( and knives themselves ) are good and they are sold individually at low costs making a replacement easy to buy in the event O.P. breaks a knife.
>>
File: morakniv_kitchen.jpg (200 KB, 800x919) Image search: [Google]
morakniv_kitchen.jpg
200 KB, 800x919
I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers for...

>I found two beautiful top-blade steaks ( beef ) today at a very low price and purchased them. I've never cooked this cut before and am hoping for ideas/suggestions.

>My current pots/pans are el-cheapo's ( $50 or under set of what I believe is or was ( at that time ) a Walmart-generic brand ) I was given when I was 18 ( I'm 27 now ) and I'm going to need to replace them soon. What is some quality cookware I can buy ( preferably from Amazon ) that'll last me as long or longer than these el-cheapo's have? I'd set my limit at about $200.00

> Pic related; has anybody tried using Morakniv's kitchen knives? They seem to be decent and Morakniv isn't in the business of making bad knives but before I indulge in new cutlery from Morakniv ( I figure I should update that too if I'm going to update my pots/pans ) I'm hoping to get some opinions and reviews from people who've used them.

> I have buddies that keep going on about this cooking anime thing where a guy makes a steak dish with some flavored rice, onions, etc. It sounds like a somewhat decent dish and ( while I'm sorry I can't provide more info ) I'm hoping you have the recipe and are willing to share it.

> Once I get all my new cookware/knives I'm hoping to entertain company to celebrate and would like to cook for them ( it is rare I cook for guests ) and am hoping for some easy recipes that'll let me use my new knives. Any recommendations?
>>
>>7592710

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1mvYnRJX70
>>
>>7592710
>top-blade
Cook it like any other steak. The reason it's cheap is because of the huge fucking cartilage plate going right across the middle. Eat around it and it's awesome.
>has anybody tried using Morakniv's kitchen knives?
Yes. Handles are oval. It means if it get slippery for whatever reason, it's harder to keep it from twisting. Pretty though, and good blades. Pincer ergonomics are not the best. I'm >>7587908 so my recommendation will be obvious: Tojiro DP3, unless you want the Morakniv for aesthetic reasons.
>easy recipes
Curry. Three-five tablespoons of madras curry powder, roast (but don't burn) it in some oil, add 50ml apple juice concentrate, one 400ml can each of coconut milk and canned tomatoes. Let simmer for half an hour while you cut (if whole chicken), sear and bake some chicken thighs and drumsticks, cook the rice, pickle a red onion and slice some leek.
Onion is pickled in equal parts by volume sugar and vinegar, and two parts water.
Add sliced leak to simmering sauce half a minute before plating, drape the sauce over the chicken, and garnish with pickled red onion, koriander leaves and peanuts/roased coconut/cashew/whatever.

Costs <5 € per portion and near impossible to fuck up. Safe bet because everyone loves curry.
>>
>>7592766
>>7592838
Thank you both!
>>
>>7588496
>3 pounds of chicken
>a fucking walk in the park
>dinner with the ma
>ice cream on a hot day

>I've done 140 lbs this week
>>
What is a food processor good for? I find that I'd prefer a good knife for most things. I've only used my food processor about 3 times in as many years.
>>
>>7593197
Hummus, but a blender also works
>>
>>7593213
Good flatbread isn't available locally and I haven't gotten around to expanding my repertoire to that yet.
Breadcrumbs, pie crust and that's about all that food processors seem to do better than either a small manual processor, or a knife. Even the cheese I'd have preferred to use a microplane grater on.
>>
What are some fast cooking meats I can use in stews? I really don't have the patience and time for using brisket and other popular stew meats. Should I just toss in sirloin and call it a day?
>>
>>7593720

>toss in sirloin and call it a day

Absolutely not. Stewing/braising is about using a meat with lots of cartridge and cooking it low and slow to break that down and make the meat tender, while also making a sauce.

If you're going for convenience stew is easy because you just put it on and forget about it. If you want fast, you need to cook up your lean mean first, make a sauce with your veggies and add the meat back in at the end. I've never really done that, but it seems like the only real answer. Or you could just make a fish stew.
>>
>>7593720
You want a pressure cooker.
>>
Poorfag+idiot here
How do I tenderize shitty steaks the best? Do I salt before or after cooking? Why? I've seen it done both ways. I know what Google is.
>>
>>7594038
Marinade. Some salt, vinegar, oil, and herbs. Or go all the way and slather them in chimichurri.

My question; I can't seem to get breading to stick to meat when making fried chicken. I just use seasoned flour, beaten eggs, then cornmeal, but everytime more of the crust ends up floating in the oil than ends up coating the chicken. So, any tips or successful recipes?
>>
>>7592347
Do not buy knife sets that come in wooden blocks. Those things are impossible to clean and the porous material and deep crevices are magnets for bacteria colonization.
>>
File: allcladvscastiron1.png (468 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
allcladvscastiron1.png
468 KB, 480x480
>>7592710
>What is some quality cookware I can buy ( preferably from Amazon ) that'll last me as long or longer than these el-cheapo's have? I'd set my limit at about $200.00
In my experience, this is the best resource guide/review database of cookware on the internet:
https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-choose-cookware/
https://www.centurylife.org/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/
https://www.centurylife.org/cookware-even-heating-rankings-butane-propane-natural-gas-etc/

So essentially, it used to be that the default answer to your question for stepping up to "serious" pans was shelling out $500-600+ for All-Clad whose Try-Ply construction ran up the sides of the pans for superior heating distribution, but a few years ago their design patent ran out, and now you can find generic versions for much less such as the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro line:
https://www.dealscube.com/listing/cuisinart-mcp-12n-multiclad-pro-stainless-steel-12-piece-cookware-set/7472
^$202 for the set and $20 more on Amazon right now.
https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-cuisinart-multiclad-pro-aka-mcp-or-multiclad-professional-tri-ply-professional-stainless-steel-12-inch-skillet-30-cm-frying-pan/
https://www.centurylife.org/is-all-clad-worth-it-is-it-still-made-in-america-why-does-it-cost-so-much-what-are-some-alternatives/
>>
>>7589055
None, left half beef.
>>
>>7588857
IMO 9-10" is the perfect range for a primary chef knife. 8" too often too small, 11"+ too often too big. I personally use a 9".

8" to me is too small when cutting a lot of things - larger vegetables, fruits or meats like roasts. Not that you can't do it, but it is not ideal, just like you could cut all those things with a little paring knife if you really wanted.
>>
i'm going to the mall later for a job interview. i'm pretty hungry, so i'm going to grab something to eat there

http://www.oakvilleplace.com/StoreDirectory.aspx?Categorisid=77&aviName=specialty%20foods%20%26%20food%20retailers

what should i get? i'm thinking jimmy the greek
>>
is $8 bucks canadian for a whole frozen lobster a good deal?
>>
>>7594074
Good to know, thanks.
>>7594104
Also good to know, thanks.
>>
>>7594397
meat is measured in weight, not in item quantity. even items priced at quantity still have a set weight.
>>
>>7594344
Eat nothing, Talk to the restaurants and let the interviewer know you're hungry for work.
>>
>>7594489
your mum is measured in meat

just kidding, it's 350g
>>
>>7594492
i meant after the interview
>>
File: d.12827.jpg (4 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
d.12827.jpg
4 KB, 300x300
i just bought one of these because i love soft boiled eggs but hate getting the top off and getting shell everywhere
are they shit
>>
>>7594516
>designed to perform a delicate operation that requires human judgement of appropriate force
>not shit

Pick one
>>
Can you cut mold off any cheese and keep eating it? Or is it only certain cheeses? I usually have parm, manchego, cheddar, and colby jack on hand.
>>
>>7594104
>So essentially, it used to be that the default answer to your question for stepping up to "serious" pans was shelling out $500-600+ for All-Clad whose Try-Ply construction ran up the sides of the pans for superior heating distribution
But why would you want to sides to heat up?
Also, du you realy want the very edges of the cooking patch to be as hot as the centre where the steak/fish/vegetable is? That might just mean lots of burnt butter and herbs at the edges of the pan, or too cooled of to cook centre.
From the FLIR imagery I definitely think the bottom two look more suitable for frying than the top two, with less hotspoting, less heating of the sides of the pan and what looks like a smaller cooking patch may just be down to the fact that they are not heated to the same temperature.

For a sauteuse or saucepan especially the top right looks awful and will burn at the edges where there is only a thin coating of splashed up sauce. (Not that I'm suggesting CI saucepans, but rather SS ones that aren't sandwiched all the way up the sides.)

I'm assuming top/bottom is AC/CI. But what's the difference between left and right?
>>
I bought a plastic tub of whipped butter. Is it fine to store at room temp?
>>
>>7595793
The picture is kind of useless without the caption (not the guy who posted it), the website explains how to intepret the images.
>>
Just got the Victorinox 10in fibrox for $55cdn on the Amazon canuck site. The 8in are also on sale for $45cdn. Way cheaper than the kitchen supply store in Hamilton, which is already cheap. Thanks for the advice. Also, would like a TS girlfriend.
>>
>>7595180
I do it. If most of the cheese looks fine it usually seems to be unaffected
>>
What's a good SS pan in the UK for not stupid money?
>>
>>7595793
>But why would you want to sides to heat up?
>Also, du you realy want the very edges of the cooking patch to be as hot as the centre where the steak/fish/vegetable is?
Of course, if I didn't want the entire bottom of the pan to be evenly hot I would use a wok.
>burnt butter and herbs
What's the point of even cooking these in the same pan as your meats if you're not going to be cooking them together?
>>
Do I add boiling water to instant noodles, or do I add them to the boiling water?
>>
>>7595180

If it's just a few spots, then yeah I do that.

If it's all over the fucking package then it's easier to just chuck and buy a new package and make sure to use it faster this time.
>>
File: 1442379918691-3.jpg (145 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1442379918691-3.jpg
145 KB, 640x480
>>7596791
u put noodles in the bowl and then pour them with the boiling water
i hope i helped
>>
>>7589180
In my 5 minutes here I've learned that it's /k/ with slightly better food threads.

Hell, replace "sanitize bucket" with "Clearing bucket" and this is a /k/ thread.
>>
>>7587646
terrible housewife knives that will wear down in less than a few months of extensive use. spend the extra money and get some german knives. wustofs are great. asianknives are far better shuns are my favorite
>>
>>7592160
Most pressure cookers have a little window that exposes the rubber seal (which can be seen slightly bulging during normal operation). Since pressure will escape through the path of least resistance, face this window to a wall or something and that way if the pressure gets too far above operating, steam will be jettisoned out of this window, possibly breaking/damaging the rubber seal. This is both safe and cost effective since the only part to replace will be the rubber seal and the only cleanup will be wiping the steam and some sauce off of your wall. Even the meal can be salvaged and the pressure cooker used again.

This is very unlikely to happen though. I can't speak broadly, but my pressure cooker (Baccarat easy twist) becomes physically locked well below operating pressure by a button so no dumb housemates/children can try and open it at pressure. Additionally the valve for releasing pressure can dump huge volumes of steam on it's own if need be (makes a loud noise though). Turning the valve to "open" safely forces the largest out-flow of steam, dropping pressure rapidly.
>>
>>7592160
>>
>>7596791
i like to add everything to the pot first, including all flavour packets
then i put in the noodles
>>
Will four hours in red sauce in a crockpot after searing overcook bone-in chicken thighs?
>>
>>7597936
No.
>>
>>7597538
>that filename
You bitch, it took me a second. Now I have to go listen to that song.
And if I have to listen to it, so do you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.