[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sauce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: ketchup-casera.jpg (223 KB, 630x416) Image search: [Google]
ketchup-casera.jpg
223 KB, 630x416
>Le "I hate ketchup" /ck/ meme

Can somebody explain where this came from? Is /ck/ just too contrarian to appreciate the zestiness of it or something? If handled properly, ketchup can make the most delicious meals in the world.

So what's the deal, /ck/?
>>
Red liquidy sugar

It's shit
>>
File: 11-Jufran-Banana-Sauce[1].jpg (58 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
11-Jufran-Banana-Sauce[1].jpg
58 KB, 480x640
We all switched to banana sauce almost a decade ago.
>>
Name a sauce or food that that ck DOES like and then wait five minutes for someone to show up and call them a faggot for liking it. This is just 4chan, son. The only sauces we are going to be able to agree on are like béchamel and other mother sauces that make cu/ck/s feel like culinary sophisticates.
>>
>>7584639

Almost every time someone suggests using a béchamel I suggest an egg based liason instead.

People don't like ketchup because it's basically straight sugar, and made for a child's palate.
>>
>>7584654

See precisely what I mean, not that it isn't good and all but again /ck/ only likes high falutin' stuff like hollandaise another "mother sauce" because we gotta feel like we are superior cultural and culinary sophisticates.

Can't into normie ketchup.
>>
Because it makes everything just taste like ketchup
>>
>Can somebody explain where this came from?

people hating ketchup.

>Is /ck/ just too contrarian to appreciate the zestiness of it or something?

notwithstanding the lack of bearing 'contrarianism' has on 'appreciation of zestiness', tomato ketchup isn't fucking zesty.

i just never liked ketchup, since i was a child, and i've seen enough plates of perfectly decent meals obliterated by concentric breaking waves of ketchup through which poor innocent pieces of steak or blobs of mashed potato have been dragged to develop a strong aversion to the stuff.
>>
>>7584630
How does that taste like?
>>
>>7584618
>Is /ck/ just too contrarian
Is this your first day?
>>
>>7584618
Because it ruins food by supplanting all flavors and is a condiment for children because it coats all flavors
>>
File: fullofit.png (732 KB, 600x633) Image search: [Google]
fullofit.png
732 KB, 600x633
>>7584654
>egg based liason
Yes that's perfectly replace a bechamel and not render when cooked, baked or gratinated.
>t. actual chef-fag and not keyboard fancypants
>>7584618
Nothing wrong with ketchup. Context is everything.
>>
>>7584681

>render

you're certainly trying to sound like one, but you aren't a chef
>>
>>7584618
It's been the symbol of American bad taste for a long time - the food was plain and bland and ketchup was the only way to give it any flavor. Bottles of the stuff on the tables of cheap restaurants and blue collar homes only reinforced this stereotype. American servicemen would ask for it in restaurants when stationed in places like France and Italy, much to the horror of the locals.

But it's old meme - the generation of Americans who put ketchup on everything is dying off now. The generations that came after them grew up with a wider range of flavors available to them, and relegated ketchup to mostly burgers and fries.

But the stigma around ketchup hangs on - reaching for it in any situation other than a burger or fries is seen as a mark of an unsophisticated American diner. Places other than burger joints where a bottle is on the table are considered lowbrow. Of course the stuff is still popular for a reason: many folks like it regardless of the stigma.
>>
I used ketchup in place of tomato paste for a mushroom sauce on a burger, but then I had to up the beef stock and salt to cut some of that sweetness, so I think I would have been better off not using the ketchup in the first place.
>>
It's contrarian to like ketchup in Europe.
>>
>>7584770
Not in Belgium or the Netherlands - those fuckers put it on their fries, along with mayo.
>>
catsup is overwhelmingly sweet and tangy.

Savory>sweet
>>
>>7584776
U wot? Ketchup on fries is rare in Belgium and NL. It's almost all mayo. Curry ketchup is even more common than ketchup in my experience.
>>
>>7584784
It's an option, though, unlike places like Italy and France where it's a total novelty.
>>
>>7584639
That's some hardcore projection right there
>>
>>7584795
Oh, yeah, sure. I'm from Sweden and it's always an option here as well, but it's pretty widely considered to be childish/plebeian. It seems like it's treated with more "respect" in America.
>>
>>7584639
>>7584660
You're not comparing apples to apples here, though. A sauce made from quality ingredients by someone who knows what they're doing is always going to blow the doors off some kind of industrially mass produced cheap shit you buy a bottle of in the supermarket. That's why ketchup, ranch dressing and BBQ sauce get a bad rap - not because they're bad things - they can be fucking delicious, but the examples of them that most folks are familiar with are poor quality products. Beer in America was like that for a while, too, before craft brewing became a thing in the 80's. The rest of the world laughed at American beer the way they laugh now at ketchup and ranch dressing. It's because the flagship examples of these products are shitty.
>>
>>7584842
In the US it's pretty much a given for fries and common on burgers. But outside of fast food it's kind of a class tell. You don't see it at upscale places, but you will at places where poor and working class people eat.
>>
I love the vinegar flavor of whataburger ketchup.
The spicy ketchup is the best though.
>>
Only time I ever enjoyed ketchup was on a Whopper

Any other time, its been repulsive
>>
>>7584844
Ketchup natural set of ingredients makes it good for storage.
The same with mustard.
Which is why non shit brands of Ketchup is decent.

Now, Ranch is a different beast. To store Ranch Dressing, it needs to contain a mix of mayo, extra salt and lemon. Which degrades the quality if its intended for long time storage, or not refrigerated.

Then there is Mayo. Mayo is sorta storable. But a lot of Mayo is of shit quality, or is ruined to make it better for long time storage.
Which means that in Mayo countries, the worst Mayo you can get is still decent enough to warrant its use.
>>
>>7584618
Edgy cunts wanting to show they're different by following groupthink trends.

It's basically 4chan all over.
>>
>>7584618
It honestly depends on the ketchup. Classic ketchup a shit, too fucking sweet. Hot Ketchup can be great though.
>>
File: sriracha_3.jpg (338 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
sriracha_3.jpg
338 KB, 1200x900
This is the best ketchup
>>
>>7584618
what if someone just doesn't like ketchup
>>
>>7585101
How different is the one with the eagle on it? That's the only one I've had so far not the cockerel
>>
>>7585102
That "someone" is a commie
>>
File: rage.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
>>7584618
IT'S JUST THE WORST FUCKING THING ON THE PLANET. LIKE HOW DO YOU APE SWINE SHITHEADS FUCKING LIKE THIS OBNOXIOUS TRASH TIER DISGUSTING FOUL SMELLING GARBAGE. IT TASTES LIKE SHIT, IT SMELLS EVEN WORSE, ALL THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE IT ARE EVEN WORSE, AND YET ITS STILL WIDELY ACCEPTED. THIS IS A MAJOR FUCKING ISSUE. I CANT BELIEVE THIS SWEET TRYING TO BE SAVORY VOMIT IS ACTUALLY LIKED BY SOME FUCKING PEOPLE. JESUS CHRIST. HOW RETARDED DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO EAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS? ITS SO FUCKING BAD. ITS WORSE THAN EATING OUT SHREK'S BLOODY ASSHOLE, I SWEAR. Man I fucking hate ketchup.
>>
>>7585046
The point is you can't compare cheap mass produced "sauces" from the supermarket to something you make yourself with the best ingredients you can get. Even when it comes to ketchup. A couple restaurants near me are precious enough to make their own ketchup (and their own pickles). It's not exactly night and day from store bought (like the difference with mayo), but it's noticeably better: deeper tomato flavor and less sweet.

The only ready to eat condiment or sauce I can think of that doesn't suffer from being industrially mass produced is good quality mustard. Just about everything else in that vein is a convenience product, and suffers from the compromises required to produce and distribute them. Flavor is one of many priorities, not the top one.
>>
>>7585120
>He brought cheap ketchup
No shit it will be bad. Get the monies and buy some high quality brands.
>>
>>7584844
six $2 tallboys tastes better than 1 $12 trappist

ask anyone who actually drinks beer
>>
>>7585372
That would be to an alcoholic, not to a beer nerd. But your comparison stands: plenty of people are very happy to eat borderline garbage as long as it's cheap and convenient.
>>
Ketchup is for children or foreigners.
>>
>>7584618
It's mostly manchildren trying to show off how mature they are, despite the fact that trying to act like a big boy is one of the most immature things one can do as an adult. It's fine if the brand is high-quality, but don't you dare put it on anything that isn't a hot dog, fries, or a cheap burger. Especially not on steak.
>>
Lots of people forget that ketchup originally began as a fish sauce. It is a legitimate condiment that is looked down on because it comes with french fries and meatloaf.
>>
>>7585593
Shit like meatloaf made me vegan.
>>
>>7585593
B-but I have to keep forcing the red sugar sauce for children meme to prove how much of a man I am on this anonymous imageboard!
>>
>>7585598
Fuck you. Meat loaf is the greatest food on the planet.

You're a woman, aren't you? Cunt
>>
File: 1290625644802.gif (598 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1290625644802.gif
598 KB, 320x240
>>7585579
>mfw I'm eating a welldone steak with ketchup and funyons
>>
>>7585598
>Shit talking about meatloaf
I know not everyone is going to love what I like but you're wrong. Meatloaf is delicious.
>>
i have a unfucking holy passion for heinz ketchup.

i can go through a 20oz bottle in a single meal of fries and tendies.

i mix corn and mashed potatoes and dip it in ketchup.

i dip pretty much all hot beef and chicken in ketchup.
>>
>>7585622
>welldone steak
Eh.
>funyuns
Flamin' Hot ones are better.

>mfw the one time I ordered well done at a steakhouse it actually came out nice and not very dry at all
>>
>>7585372

It's may be preferable to some people in certain settings, but nobody is going to say it "tastes better".
>>
>>7585631
I haven't read any of the rest of this thread but I had to stop and say I agree. I don't make it every week like I used to, but meatloaf is the shit. THE SHIT.
>>
>>7584784
I can confirm. I almost never see ketchup and when I do its that nasty curry shit.
>>
>>7585911
Right on!
>>
>>7584618

It's just not very good. As most people grow older, they grow to like more bitter tastes, and ketchup is just sugar basically. It's almost like putting soda and shit on your french fries or burger.
>>
Anything that ketchup would go on I just use hot sauce instead, the only time I use ketchup anymore is for cocktail sauce
>>
>>7586555
Nice trips
>>
File: reggae-reggae.jpg (21 KB, 236x574) Image search: [Google]
reggae-reggae.jpg
21 KB, 236x574
It's OK for a few things.

I've recently discovered this stuff (Reggae Reggae sauce), which is a British table-sauce take on a Jamaican jerk sauce. It has replaced HP Brown sauce overnight for me.
>>
>>7584618
Some of us are over the age of 15
>>
>>7588830
>Le age meme
Beat you stopped drinking milk to be mature.
>>
>>7584784

You say that as though mayo is a better thing to be seen eating on fries, it's nigger tier or Scottish tier. Also,

>lol sooner curry kebabup than ketchup
>bragging that you are jihaded
>>
>>7584623
pretty much this although i do love homemade ketchup.
then again, the times i've done "ketchup", it hasn't really had anything to do with the commercial ketchups except for tomatoes and somewhat the same texture
>>
>>7584618
Unsure about other people, but I just don't like the flavor of ketchup for most of its uses. The only valid usage of it, for me, is on hashbrowns- but that's only if gochujang thinned out with some rice wine vinegar isn't available.
>>
>>7584681
Most times that people recommend using a bechamel in the home environment as a finisher- in those cases, an egg-based liason may work as a substitute. But I agree- bechamel is not something to be eagerly replaced.
>>
>>7584618
Preteens trying too hard at looking mature by looking with disdain at things they don't want to acknowledge they enjoy.
>>
>>7588974
No. Milk is great. Ketchup is for children.
>>
>>7590833
Careful, there's been a "milk is shit" meme slowly gaining traction too.
>>
>>7590844
Milk is shit though
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.