[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make the best cornbread? What foods do I pair with it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: cornbread.jpg (22 KB, 406x305) Image search: [Google]
cornbread.jpg
22 KB, 406x305
How do I make the best cornbread?

What foods do I pair with it?
>>
>>7584370
Just Google recipes and try them out. If you don't like one recipe there's always another you can go for.

Fried chicken and watermelon with Coleslaw and macaroni and cheese with a side of grape juice and a mixtape would go well with cornbread.
>>
>>7584370
>use butter
>don't make it sweet
>add chopped jalapenos and top with sharp cheddar

it's best served with spicy beans and greens (mustard being a key component of the greens mix) or a good chili made from stew meat or sliced steak
>>
>>7584376

cornbread should be sweet. don't listen to this faggot.

don't put a bunch of shit in it/on.
>>
>>7584387

pair with beans or you can break it up in a little bit of milk.
>>
Pour in a mixture of 1/2 - 2/3rds cup of sugar with two eggs and beat it like it owes you money. Then put in some buttermilk and baking soda. Once all of that is mixed up, throw in some cornmeal, flour, and however much salt and pepper you want. Stir it up until it's only slightly lumpy.

Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a big black iron skillet, any other form of cookware is wrong. Pour in the mix you just made and cook for 40 minutes on 375 F (175 C)

Serve with either soupbeans, buttermilk fried chicken, vinegary collard greens, and/or spicy chili.
>>
File: soupbeans&cornbread.jpg (102 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
soupbeans&cornbread.jpg
102 KB, 1600x1063
>>7584370
>tfw no southern grandmother to cook me soupbeans + cornbread + a nice big glass of half n half lemonade/sweet tea
>>
this is the best recipe I've used

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/moist-and-tender-brown-butter-cornbread-recipe.html

I'm not from south so I don't know about authenticity but shit's great
>>
Add cheese, jalapeno and honey.
>>
>>7584387
Maybe it "should" be sweet, but it's better not.
>>
>>7584395

Soup beans are really fucking easy to make though, it's one of my comfort food meals

(I cheat and use prepared mixes for cornbread though because when I make it from scratch it always turns out dry and I haven't figured out why yet)
>>
>>7584370
chili
>>
Made this at the christmas party at work last year and was told it was very good by lots of people, and the country guy there said it was the best he'd ever had in his life

cornbread:
2 jalapenos minced, seeds and insides removed
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar (sharpest you can find, yellow or white)
2.5 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp bacon fat

whisk eggs and buttermilk together
add to cornmeal, mix just until combined

quickly add bacon fat to preheated (425F) 9-10" castiron skillet, coating bottom
pour in batter

Return to oven and bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned

inb4 putting shit in it is heresy, idgaf, it kicks ass.
>>
File: CJGt3OJXAAEVZ1l.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CJGt3OJXAAEVZ1l.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
just use the top shelf del monte

don't bake too long. shits good my niqqa
>>
Probably weird, but I like corn bread with honey and vanilla ice cream.
>>
>>7584370
I can't give you an exact recipe as I have never measured it and was never taught to but here is what you do for a 10-12inch skillet.

Cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Enough cornmeal to get the pan about half full.

Add a egg sized piece of lard

cut it in

add 1 egg plus buttermilk to make it a cake batter consistency

pour into a cast iron skillet greased with lard.

Bake on high heat until golden brown.

If you are making it for dressing/stuffing you can add sage and reduce the buttermilk to make it a little more dry.

If you want you can also add some sugar or honey.

Once you make it a few times you will get a feel for what it should look like and then you can make any sized batches. You can also play around with it if you want to like peppers and things like that. I sometimes make "breakfast cornbread" with things like bacon, sausage, cheese, etc added it. You can pretty much add in whatever as long as you don't mess with the other ingredients or get it too wet though I prefer it "plain" with beans or crushed up into a glass of buttermilk and eaten with a spoon.
>>
>>7584393
God this recipe is so fucked up I don't know where to begin. Way too much sugar even for sweet cornbread. You didn't add any fat to the mix. Adding flour; wtf? Stirring to slightly lumpy? Again, wtf? Not only using butter to grease the pan but a 1/2 cup and then just melting it in the pan. Baking at a low temp. Everything about this is wrong. Also its not soupbeans its just beans and greens shouldn't be vinegary. Vinegar based "hot pepper sauce" should be added at the table after the greens have finished.
>>
>>7584393
simply sara?
>>
>>7584395
Awww, anon, if I knew you, I'd make soup beans and cornbread for you. My grandmother used to make that, as did my mother, as do I.
Fuck, I miss the southern half of my family.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.