[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just made some dulciaria for my Roman Culture class. We're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Dulcariaria.jpg (54 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Dulcariaria.jpg
54 KB, 600x400
I just made some dulciaria for my Roman Culture class. We're having an authentic Roman cena tomorrow and I figured this was the easiest thing to bring. Just figs and dates jammed with nuts, covered in honey. Normally Roman food is much worse.

Do you guys have any experience with making Roman food? If so, what did you make? I'm curious about the combination of flavors they used. Even in a simple treat like this they used peppercorn and salt, which I thought was odd.
>>
Only time I really ate Roman food was when someone brought savillum to a classics department meeting. What I think of when I think of Roman food is usually lots of honey or fish but, like you said, I imagine that's probably not representative of what the typical Roman ate.
>>
I made a frozen pizza the other day and added anchovies.

That's pretty Roman, right?
>>
>>7583280
The anchovies are pretty well in the tradition of putting garum on everything.
>>
>>7583069
you have semi-failed at that, as those would have been left for at least a month, preferably half a year, in the honey to steep
I made Isicia Ormentata, it was fine
btw, many reports to the contrary notwithstanding, garum is not dead, it is just hiding in North Africa (which makes sense if you think about it)
>>
>>7583299

That's what I was thinking, but from everything I've read it sort of sounds like garum is a bit stronger than commercial fish sauce today, and was just poured directly on things as opposed to being a background flavor.
>>
>>7583319
who the fuck told you garum was a sauce?
it's rotten fish flavored salt, nothing more nothing less
you can use it to make sauces, yes, but...
>>
>>7583069
G A R U M
A
R
U
M
>>
>>7583325

I never said it was a sauce. I compared it to fish sauce and called it a condiment, which from what I've read they used to throw directly on food, unlike fish sauce which is usually combined with other things as a component of a sauce.
>>
>>7583317
There's a small village in Italy that sells garum by the bottle.
>>
>>7583338
> was just poured directly on things
> poured

> I never said it was a sauce
> poured

eh?
>>
>>7583346
You can pour salt on things. That's just being pedantic, anon.
>>
>>7583349
you can, but they won't be eatable no mo'
>>
I made Moretum a couple times. Pretty good, but it's one of those recipes that need good ingredients to be good (in this case good cheese)
>>
Didn't they eat mice on a stick?
>>
I had dulciaria in elementary school once and there was a hair on it
>>
>>7583069

UVM, right?
>>
Check these guys out

http://thephilosophersstove.co.uk/#concept
>>
>>7583342
Colatura di alici from Cetara (the village you were talking about)

Doesn't taste like Garum though (from what i've read about Garum as I obviously have never tasted it)
>>
>>7583069
Nice, are those chicken hearts?
>>
>>7583069
A little garum makes everything better.
>>
What would be a good dinner for a roman themed party? I definitely like OP's idea. I imagine that the Romans didn't have too complex of dishes.
>>
>>7583069
I know that they poached eggs in wine.
>>
>>7585037
Wow, I need to try that.
>>
>>7585072

They still do it in Burgundy.

Google, "Oeufs En Meurette".
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.