[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else ever had a phase where they had no interest in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Curry_2710104b.jpg (102 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Curry_2710104b.jpg
102 KB, 620x387
Has anyone else ever had a phase where they had no interest in food that wasn't a spiced-up flavor-bomb?

Lately I've only been interested in cooking indian and thai. My mom's pot roast last night had me falling asleep from boredom. It makes me feel bad though, since it's like I'm falling into the trap of thinking unspiced food can't ever taste good, which I know is wrong.
>>
>>7577365
Same. I've been trying to cook Mexican food like Mexicans do recently. My goal is to git gud enough that my Mexican friends can't distinguish my food from their Abuela's.

Yesterday I had fajitas for lunch. Beef and bell peppers pan fried with salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper, and half a lime squeezed over it. Ate that shit in corn tortillas. It was so flavorful, but also very spicy and kind of sour from the lime. Had to pace myself lest the spice overwhelmed me.
>>
I go through periods like that too. I also go through phases where I'll just eat simple stuff like sweet potatoes for dinner every night.
>>
>>7577365
Definitely went through a phase in my late teens/early 20's where I liked my food highly spiced. This was probably a reaction to my mother's cooking, which was decent, but very plain Jane.
>>
I can't find anything hot enough on my local Indian. I'll call their bluff and ask for the secret menu
Vindaloo was nice but not hot
Naga was not as nice but a bit hotter
Nothing else says anything more than "medium heat"
>>
>>7577598

A lot of places make their vindaloos a medium because they don't want people finding it too spicy. I imagine this is even more common in America where people don't know about Indian food.

Hottest Curry I know is Phall which should be made using scotch bonnet chillis. It's a british-Indian hybrid though so dunno how many places will do it.

A vindaloo should be hot enough to leave you panting.
>>
>>7577641
>tfw I am British.
There is a place in the town center that has Phalls I will try and hope it's ass blast hot. It's a shame that I can't make anything that is spiced and tastes as nice as the takeaway but with heat. I can make chili but it's no where near that level of flavor but makes my nose run
>>
>>7577663

Also, try out the Iceland's Vindaloo. Most of their curries are watery but their vindaloo is the spiciest store bought variety I know of.
>>
>>7577663

Get some dried Naga chilli sliced up.

You only use small amounts but it still adds a bit of a smokey flavour to food, as well as massive heat.
>>
>>7577365

Been there, done that. Cooked lots of spicy food (Asian/Mexican) over the last years, Love to make simple things like a good pea/potato/lentil soup with sausages lately. I still love that explosion of spices I get from a good curry but every now and then I want to go low on spices and taste the ingredients.
>>
>>7577663
Mate - Pataks do a Phall sauce, you can get it in Morrisons, you can also chuck in a palmful of chilli flakes if you dare but it's quite good.
>>
People who enjoy spicy food are literally trash. By spicy I mean spice coming from chilli peppers, not spice coming from the use of spices. Spicy food makes your tongue burn so you can't even taste the food. You're just ruining your food so you can show off about how manly you are for causing yourself pain. Great job, faggot.
>>
>>7577365
>. My mom's pot roast last night had me falling asleep from boredom. It makes me feel bad though, since it's like I'm falling into the trap of thinking unspiced food can't ever taste good, which I know is wrong.

Might be time to take it easy on things that are always hot, not just spiced, and focus on texture as well as taste. Parents might be watching their salt intake. Add some salt to mom's dish for a bit of flavor, but also suggest some parsillade, or mocking up some cream horseradish you can pass around to everyone. Both are acceptable with pot roast. Is the gravy unexciting? Maybe she needs more browning on that meat, or use coffee or wine to deglaze. What was it served with? Boringness?

Add acid, or crunch to things you find bland, in the meantime.
>>
>>7577365
I live in the southwest so I'd say most of the food I eat is normally spiced pretty heavily since that's how I learned to cook. I can still appreciate a nice pot roast or something that isn't heavily spiced though.
>>
>>7577777
Spicy quads senpai
>>
>>7577821
this, what a few drops of sherry vinegar can do for instance it works wonders with gravy.
>>
>>7577777

Store bought sauces are almost never spicy. Also Patak's sauces are really oily and not amazing.

>>7577789
You've never sat down and eaten a very hot dish have you? Eating ultra spicy food gives you a massive rush, it isn't about manliness.

I'd eat more hot food if it wasn't for the Ring of Fire. Wish I knew a way of preventing that, tried knocking back a bunch of antacids but didn't do anything.
>>
>>7577849
>Also Patak's sauces are really oily and not amazing.
Try it mate, seriously it's better than I thought it would be, it tastes more Vindaloo than Madras. And weirdly enough, I do like oily curries.
>>
>>7577837
Those are quints moron. I curse you to never get dubs again for your transgression.
>>
well, i went through a thing where i had to douse everything in habanero sauce, if it counts.

took a major break and now my tolerance is so low that sriracha burns.
>>
>i like my food "spiced"

it's called having flavor, Johnson, something that toast sandwiches won't have in abundance.

Keep it up.
>>
>>7577789

>so you can show off

tell me about the childhood trauma which resulted in you having this opinion.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.