[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Cookers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Can anyone recommend a good rice cooker for a college student? Rice is a huge staple for me so I think it might be worth investing in one. Ideally <$100 unless there's something a little above that that's REALLY worth it.

I was looking into some of the Tiger and Zojirushi models because that's what I've heard are the best, but a lot of reviews say their pots don't last very long at all and are really expensive to replace so I want to avoid stuff like that if possible.
>>
Thing is about rice cookers is that the generally the really higher quality ones will manage keep the rice good for like 2-3 days. Cheap ones will keep it good for about maybe 5-9 hours. I haven't really heard of any "bad" rice cookers unless you dig really deep into some appliance store and find really garbage ones. Just read some reviews of cheap ones available in your area.

If you're really strapped for cash, just don't buy a rice cooker. A pot and a lid for it is just fine.
>>
>>7574746
Get an induction hob 1800w for around $50 if you're in the US and a 3.5qt to 5qt pressure cooker, you can make excellent rice, steamed vegetables and bean dishes and soups in it. If you're in a dorm room look for a non-venting pressure cooker so you don't stink up the place.
>>
>>7574746
I just use a $15 rice cooker from Target and it gets the job done.
>>
>>7574746
where can i get that t shirt?
>>
>>7574762
Do you mean like when using it to keep the rice warm? Normally I just wrap up the rice into balls and freeze them, then heat them up when I want them and they're still pretty decent for what they are. But if that's the main difference then it doesn't seem worth it?
I'll look into some cheap ones then, thanks. Wasn't sure if this was the kind of thing that could be like "get a high quality one that will last you for years" or if it's better off just getting cheap ones and replacing them when needed
>>
I've been using the same zojirushi for about 8 years and I'm still on the same inner pot

The thing that makes them not last is being in college and getting abused by kids with no life skills or respect for property
>>
File: rice.jpg (187 KB, 1528x604) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
187 KB, 1528x604
I was considering buying this one, it comes highly recommended online. The fuzzy logic ones sound neat but I don't eat enough rice to justify a $150 plus cooker.
>>
>>7575445
This one is pretty good and not much more. It's got fuzzy logic and a bunch of functions you'll probably use once and forget about.
http://www.amazon.com/Squares-3RC-3010S-MACHIN3-4-Quart-Capacity/dp/B00SMXW91A
>>
>>7575472

That sounds neat. The weird thing to me is it looks near identical but it's a different brand, so is it like a Chinese knockoff? Just makes me wonder.
>>
>>7575488
Probably sourced the parts from the same company and stuffed a different control unit in there.
>>
>>7575543

That would make sense. It's got good reviews so might opt for that instead.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.