[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought some Austrian smoked cheese, just had a bit on its own,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: smoked cheese.jpg (95 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
smoked cheese.jpg
95 KB, 320x240
I bought some Austrian smoked cheese, just had a bit on its own, pretty nice

anyone got any nice recipes to use it in?
>>
In a Mac n cheese would be pretty nice. I make smoked Gouda Mac quite often and I love it. Make sure to use some milder cheeses or the smoky taste can overpower the dish.
>>
>>7570791
had a bit more cut in slices with some slices of slami and pepperoni, mmm delicious

not got any macaroni, I assume you can make it with any pasta? boil the pasta till cooked, drain, then back in pan and mix in the cheese over a low heat?
>>
>>7570797
Look up how to make a bechamel/Mornay sauce. Boil the pasta and add the cheesy bechamel to it. It needs more liquid than just pasta + cheese can provide.
>>
>>7570797
>>7570819
Swiss style macaroni and cheese is pretty easy.
Undercook some pasta and drain.
Mix it with one-and-a-half times to double its dry weight of cheese IE if you start with 500g of dry pasta, use 750g of shredded cheese.
>many people also add caramelised onion to the pasta/cheese mixture
>some also use chopped up ham
Pour pasta/cheese mixture into a baking dish and pour milk sauce (basically bechamel without the onions and spices) over it all, then top with a little more cheese (or buttercrumb) and bake until done.
>>
>smoked cheese
It's cheese with liquid smoke mixed in.
>>
>>7570860
>smoked cheese
shit, you're right

on the packaging it says cheese and smoked butter

damn, tastes pretty nice though

>>7570819
>Look up how to make a bechamel/Mornay sauce
I looked up bechemel, might give it a go. Sauces seem to be the mark of a chef, bit scared though
>>
>>7570754
I bet you are a Brit aren't you?

Although there are lots of other smoked cheeses on the market, the 'Smoked' Austrian stuff is available almost everywhere here in Bongland.

If I am honest with you, I haven't found much use for it, except on a cheeseboard (just because!!) and eating the remainder with pickled eggs.
>>
>>7571010
yep

how fucking posh are you? a fucking cheeseboard!

>oh yes, do try this one with a chataeu neuf du pompon 76
>>
>>7570754
What kind of sausage is that?
>>
>>7570952
You're probably worried about getting it precise, am o right? Don't. Just melt a knob of butter on low, sprinkle in roughly the same amount of flour and stir, then pour in milk bit by bit, stirring until the lumps are gone before adding more. Add as much or as little as you want, it will gradually thicken with heat. Same with cheese, taste it and add as much as you like bit at a time, the cheese will also thicken it.
>>
>>7571077
yeah, also worried about over/undercooking the rue
>>
>>7571077

This. Bechamel and Mornay are super easy to make.
>>
>>7571093
>worried about over/undercooking the rue

Nah, those aren't anything to worry about.

1) Taste it. If it tastes like raw flour (which will be VERY obvious) then it's not done cooking yet.

2) Watch the color. If it starts to turn darker take it off the heat. It doesn't really matter if you overcook it a bit, just don't have it come out brown like the roux for cajun gumbo. Making it dark takes a very long time so it's pretty much impossible to overcook it by mistake.
>>
>>7571093
You don't have to cook the roux, you just stir in the flour once the butter has melted. It takes less than 10 seconds, amd should be like a thick paste.
>>
>>7571140

You have to cook it for at least a little while otherwise it will have a horrible raw flour taste like >>7571108 mentioned. But yeah, it's certainly not a long involved process.
>>
>>7571098
>>7571108
thanks, will give it a go
>>
>>7571066
>how fucking posh are you?
Not very.
I'm from Wurzel country and I have always had lots of cheese around. If I go to visit my mother now for lunch, she will always bring out a shit-ton of cheese, crackers and fruit afterwards.

But I always make a good cheeseboard for Chrimbo.

With regard to making a Roux . . .I'm not sure how this cheese will cope, I could be wrong though- best of luck anyhow.
>>
>>7571151
Literally never been a problem for me. The flour is cooked in the sauce.
>>
>>7571180
only messing chap

my grandparents had a cheeseboard, we were a little lower class than that. oh yeah, we had one at crimbo

so any pasta, cooked and drained, into an oven dish and bechemel over the top? cook till bubbly and brown on top?
>>
>>7571289
Cheeseboards FTW.

I'm not the anon advocating making a Bechamal.

I have seen MPW and Ramsey making these on You-tube somewhere, it might be worthwhile trying to hunt them down for a clearer picture.

A Roux is a basis for most sauces but my query lies with making a Bechamel with this particular cheese. I have never tried to cook with it but I have a feeling that it may be too stringy.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.