[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want ot make some nice pho. I can never get the meat to taste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
I want ot make some nice pho. I can never get the meat to taste good.
How should I season the meat? For how long? Should it just season in the pho? I seen some places where the cook the meat ahead of time and then drop it in. What do you do? I want to make some for dinner today. Its 4am here.
>>
Step 1: Acquire an old Vietnamese grandmother
>>
Step 2: MSG
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 640x480
That shit takes forever dude, just buy it from a legit viet place. If you have that much time for a broth anyway, make Japanese tonkotsu broth instead
>>
File: dsc06210.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
dsc06210.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>7570285
>>7570299
what next
>>
>>7570314
I can assure you the homemade stuff does not contain MSG.
>>
>>7570308
no
>>
>>7570327
I dated this veit girl and her gradma used MSG and bought MSG at the local Chinese Supermarket
>>
>>7570373
bad gran
>>
>>7570327
it does? the kelp they use to make the stock is the same kelp the msg refiners boil to make the crystals
you're just plum retarded
>>
>>7570278
That looks darker and greasier than any pho I've ever had.
Much less in a bowl too.
>>
>>7570394
wtf
There's no kelp.

>>7570327
It absolutely does.

>>7570278
Vast majority of people, even in VN, cheat today buying a sachet of spices. They'll still char the onions and ginger and bones, but they they will use the spice sachet because fuck mixing the spices yourself.
After you make the stock, you season it with fish sauce, brown rock sugar and MSG.

Also, depends what style. I forget which is northern and which is southern, but one uses knees, shinbones and brisket and the other uses tail, shinbones and shin meat. Shin meat is called, funnily enough, crunchy flank/crunchy brisket by English-speaking Vietnamese.

Make chicken pho. It's much easier than beef pho and easier to find instructions in English that aren't complete bullshit.
>>
MSG IS SO TASTY
>>
>>7570308
That in your pic is it pho or tontuktsu? What's the main difference. I want to start eating more veggies and asian food seems to have solved that problem very well. pls halp
>>
>>7570794
That's definitely not pho.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_125834267_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_125834267_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
Slightly less popular: rice noodle.
Should be easier to make too.
>>
>>7570814
How can you tell? OP's pic also has noodles, protein and veggies?
>>
>>7570853
I ate tons of pho before. None looked like that.
They don't even use eggs.
>>
You need to char your onion and ginger before adding them to the broth
Also star anise and cloves make a huge difference
I know your are white because you white people font believe in spicing your food
Spice is important that's why your ancestors immigrated to the new world to look for spice
>>
>>7570867
Font I'm mean don't
>>
File: kanna20.jpg (110 KB, 1160x664) Image search: [Google]
kanna20.jpg
110 KB, 1160x664
>tfw half-Viet
>and also sensitive to MSG
>>
What is MSG?
>>
>>7570308
That fucking egg.
>>
>>7570327
>Shit white people actually believe

msg is what makes it taste good
>>
>>7570394
>kelp they use to make the stock

What? There's no kelp in pho stock. You must be getting it confused with Japanese broth (Dashi)
>>
>>7570895
Mono sodium glutamate. It's like salt's sexier cousin
>>
>>7570895
Delicious salt-like spice that is basically concentrated umami flavor that the west believes is some super evil chemical that kills you or something fucking retarded like that.

>b-but no really guys I have a super special ALLERGY to it
>>
>>7570895
>>7572273
also the people who think it's bad for you are probably the same people who thing gluten is bad for you. I don't know why so many people are retarded
>>
>>7572273
Actually here most people think it's bad too. But we keep using it anyway.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.