[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Jamon Serrano or other 'specialty' prosciutto types
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
Is Jamon Serrano or other 'specialty' prosciutto types like iberico a meme? I like to buy prosciutto every once in a while because I love it, but this shit is so much more expensive than the regular prosciutto that already pushes my budget

Other stupid questions here too
>>
compared to American domestic prosciutto, there's definitely a noticeable difference
just ask the guy at your deli to try out a slice of Jamon Serrano or whatever they happen to have
>>
Trust your own taste.

If it doesn't seem worth the extra money, don't buy it.

Also don't judge things based on internet opinions. Most "meme" foods are just things that are popular, and are usually popular because they're good, so it's stupid to prejudge something that lots of people enjoy.

If anything on /ck/ is a meme, it's, "why do people pretend to like".
>>
>>7566398

If you've never had a Spaniard cut you some dank ass ham then you should do it, but don't break the bank.
>>
>is X a meme

Fuck off.
>>
>>7566398
I'm a spaniard. Two or three times a year I buy 100 grams from my deli of really good ibérico ham and eat it with bread on the side. Costs about 50-100 euros a kilo but it's worth it.
>>
>>7566449
this
>>
>>7566398

If you're in the states, there is no PGI for foodstuffs, so there's no guarantee that the "iberico" or "pata negra" you're buying is actually from Spain.

Something I would say: Iberico is expensive in the USA because only one Spanish slaughterhouse is USDA certified to produce it. It's not as expensive in Europe.
>>
>>7566398

its no meme, it's fucking incredible.

I went to Spain and had it there.

I love prosciutto, prosciutto's great.

Jamon Iberico makes prosciutto look like dogshit.
>>
>X is a meme
>Is X a meme?
Can these threads just be banned?
>>
Jamón Ibérico is probably the most beloved product to Spaniards.

It can go from horrible shit to the most tasty and expensive food from Spain.
Along with cheese and wine.
>>
>>7566417
>A sensible post on /ck/

Excuse me sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
>>
>>7570275

>do /ck/ really love food?
>do /v/ really like manga?
>do /co/ really like comics?
>do /b/ really like traps?

only /mlp/ is full of true lovers of their topic. Which is sad
>>
>>7570288
>/v/
>manga

U wot m8?
>>
File: Cutegrillcuttingham.png (246 KB, 828x666) Image search: [Google]
Cutegrillcuttingham.png
246 KB, 828x666
>>7566398
/a/ here, my animu grill tell me it's pretty good.
>>
It's about as much a scam as wagyu beef. You can get a country ham in a similar manner for way cheaper but it's clearly a different flavor cause the pigs are just fed differently.

Still though, I would never pay the insane prices that are listed.
>>
>>7570584
>Nice things are a scam
>You LITERALLY get the "same thing" for a lot cheaper.
>By "same thing" I mean a completely different product
This is what you sound like.
>>
>>7570584
>I would never pay the insane prices that are listed.
I'm a tightwad as well, but there are products where the expensive versions are so much better than the cheap versions that once you're tasted the better you can't really go back.

In almost all cases traditional products like cured meats and cheese are better made the more expensive traditional way than in the cheaper industrial manner. What you're paying for is human input and time. What makes a country ham (or any traditionally cured meat) so complex is that it's aged instead of chemically treated to simulate aging. Time costs money. Same goes for wine. Young wine is delicious, but if you want the complexity of wine with well over a decade of bottle age on it you're paying for something that was among the very small percentage of wines suitable for aging, and someone to store it under proper conditions so it survives that long.

If you like aged products you have to pay more.
>>
>>7566398
>Is Jamon Serrano or other 'specialty' prosciutto types like iberico a meme?
no
>>7566438
this
I was in Valencia last week and went with two friends to the central market
even low tire jamon serrano (€14/kg or so) is hella better than italian prosciutto if you ask me
>>
>>7566398
Gabagool is a meme
>>
>>7570854
Anyone Zingermans here?
>>
>>7570452
What's it from
>>
desu any cured meat is delicious, either spaniard or not.
>>
>>7566398
I love that stuff with garlic and goat cheese on triscuits with a glass of blackberry wine.
>>
>>7566398
>iberico
In spain it's really fucking good and cheap

I think what they import to America is lower quality Iberico

>quality of everyday cured meats so much greater in Europe
>FUCK YOU OSCAR MEYER AND YOUR BOLOGNA
>>
>>7566924
>Something I would say: Iberico is expensive in the USA because only one Spanish slaughterhouse is USDA certified to produce it. It's not as expensive in Europe.
This is true. I heard of the monopoly too in the US but I can't remember where.

Anyhoo it doesn't taste like anything in Spain. Not really worth it unless you take a trip there
>>
If you ever taste an expensive one you will understand, tasted a 5J from northern Spain and i can still remember that awesome taste...
>>
>>7573371

While it is true that there's only one slaugherhouse certified by the FDA, the good stuff is still expensive as fuck in Europe.

Pic related. From Spain. 2006. Note the price per kilo. That's not much different than the price in the US.
>>
>>7570440
It's all visual novels nowadays.
>>
File: Jamon_Iberico.jpg (3 MB, 3366x4190) Image search: [Google]
Jamon_Iberico.jpg
3 MB, 3366x4190
>>7574902
>>
>>7574902
The one priced at 131 euros is Bellota though, that shit is top-tier
>>
>le meme meme

In spanish-speaking countries Jamon Serrano is a recognisable flavor by pretty much everyone. Still pricier than regular ham but not in a crazy way. And Jamon Serrano is incredible common for snack flavoring.

But if is really that expensive in the US, then yeah, what >>7566417 said.
>>
>>7566398
>Other stupid questions here too

I have nothing to eat but some canned red kidney beans and a bunch of dried spices. How do I cook the beans to make them taste decent?
>>
>>7577076
>How do I cook the beans to make them taste decent?

Canned beans are already cooked anon. Heat them up, add spices. It's pretty much all you can do.
>>
>>7566672
this fag is lying, btw, normal jamón serrano aint that pricey

>But it can be, even here in spain
>>
>>7575284
>The one priced at 131 euros is Bellota though, that shit is top-tier

Right, and Bellota in the US costs about the same as that. Lesser grades are of course cheaper (in both Spain & elsehwere)
>>
>>7566398
>meme

Stop calling anything popular a meme jesus. Anyway yes it is super fucking tasty and it is worth the price you would pay for the top quality stuff, but you don't have to buy that even the normal quality stuff is still really damn good in my opinion.
>>
It's great but I've only had it in spain and Mexico, so I have no idea about how good the quality is in the US.
>>
>>7566398
jamon serrano is the poor man choice
jamon iberico is the real shit, and it's always worth it

>t. spaniard who lives where the god tier jamon iberico is done
>>
>>7577132
>Stop calling anything popular a meme jesus
When there are literal food memes out there?
I don't think so
>>
>>7577890
can I come visit you anon

I hear the wine there is real cheap
>>
>>7570273
>the most beloved product to Spaniards
I take it you've never heard a spaniard talk about paella?
>>
>>7578019
wine is not too expensive and it is very very good
beer is what is really cheap like czechia tier of cheapness

>>7578041
paella is a meme from the tourist trap zone, not that rated
just like a typical meal for family reunions
>>
>>7578019
and you can visit Spain everytime you want, my friend
you will probably be well received where you go
>>
>>7578128
heh, I love it when spaniards try to disavow their paella arguments

it's like when a shitcago resident says deep dish pizza isn't really the basis for the entire tourism industry
>>
>>7578139
tourism industry in the mediterranean coast
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.