[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS FUCKING SHIT GET SO GOD DAMN EXPENSIVE??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: mememeat.jpg (313 KB, 730x502) Image search: [Google]
mememeat.jpg
313 KB, 730x502
WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS FUCKING SHIT GET SO GOD DAMN EXPENSIVE??

12 PER POUND. IT USED TO BE GARBAGE SHIT MEAT NO ONE WANTED GOD DAMN HIPSTERS COME IN AND HIKE UP THE PRICES AND MAKE IT MEME STEAK GOD FUCKING DAMMIT
>>
>>7564812
>DAMN HIPSTERS COME IN AND HIKE UP THE PRICES
Your grasp of economics is shaky, to say the least.
>>
>>7564812
Skirt was $2.50 a lb and they couldn't give it away. Nowadays with slow cookers and pressure cookers this meat comes out tender in stews, plus it has a good flavor.
>>
>>7564852
>Nowadays with slow cookers and pressure cookers
You think this is new technology?
I bet you're a fucking millennial.
>>
>>7564852

You don't even need to braise it for it to be tender. Grill it rare like a steak and slice across the grain.
>>
The reality is distributors and companies can slap whatever arbitrary price they want on their products and will continue to do so because people will pay it.
There's no reason.

It's why free clinics can do affordable blood labs, but if you go to a family doctor and they send the labs to a private contractor for examination it can cost you $1k. There's no. fucking. reason.
>>
File: 04563.jpg (56 KB, 539x480) Image search: [Google]
04563.jpg
56 KB, 539x480
>>7564852
>nowadays you can braise meat until it's tender
What a time to be alive
>>
File: laughter.jpg (99 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
laughter.jpg
99 KB, 517x768
>>7564873
lmao
>>
>>7564857
every dumb thing that's said doesn't come from a millennial grandpa calm down

other people are dumb too!
>>
File: sitdownshutup.gif (625 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
sitdownshutup.gif
625 KB, 600x338
>>7564857
I didn't say its new technology, but pressure cookers are making a comeback in the US with new non-venting quiet types that are safer than the old venting exploding designs. Slow cookers themselves were popular in the 70s then died down with microwave ovens, now they're more popular than ever.
>>
Seems like all beef that's not rump, round or chuck is expensive as fuck now. The other day, I wanted to buy a brisket because I had a craving for beef soup (no, I'm not Yid) and it was $11.99/lb so I was like 'fuck that noise' (still a Jew, just not a Yid Jew).
Goddamn tenderloin was cheaper! $9.99/lb!

Looking at my local grocer's prices right now, though, seems like the prices dropped from last week: tenderloin is still the same, but brisket is now $8.99/lb. Skirt is $5.79.

Round is still cheap as fuck at $1.99/lb.
>>
>>7564900
Safety features have been largely unchanged in the past 100 years or so. The new ones aren't any safer--they have the same blowout plug that others have. They are more convenient though.

>>7564901
>>Skirt is $5.79.
Inside or outside?
>>
>>7564900
You complete and utter, fucking, ignorant cunt.
>>
Butcher here.

Used to be classed as "offal" MexiFags learned to make use of it.

Normies tried some, delish, wanted more.

Thing that makes it expensive now is supply vs demand. (duh) OPs pic is all the skirt you get from a 1,200 pound steer. So, wholesalers have to sell all that other meat to get 2 pounds or so of skirt. They can't just produce more skirts to meet the demand, they'd end up trashing a ton of other cuts. So, price goes up.

But, yeah, damn hipsters.
>>
File: 1944-mens-classic-sport-coat-01.jpg (96 KB, 646x1000) Image search: [Google]
1944-mens-classic-sport-coat-01.jpg
96 KB, 646x1000
>>7564900
It's a pressure valve, retard.
This is not new technology.
>>
>>7564812
There was a massive drought in Texas (where a lot of beef is raised) that lasted for years, prompting many to get out of the cattle business because they were having to buy hay. If you're buying hay you're not making money. This led to a decrease in the nation's herd and a corresponding increase in price.

With beef prices as high as they are, and recent rains, many people are getting back into cattle and the price should go down in the next year or two.
>>
>>7564916
Must've read it wrong cuz I just rechecked and it's inside skirt for $5.99/lb, not $5.79, sorry.
What's the difference between inside/outside?

Other skirts and their prices:

Peeled Angus skirt: $14.99
Peeled chuck (wut) skirt: $13.99
Peeled skirt: $9.99
>>
>>7564901
round kinda sucks. no real beef flavor but I slice it very thin for fajitas and then brown it

>>7564920
he's kind of right though except for the safety thing. as an american (not sure if you are or not) if I'm being honest everyone here loves their fucking slow cookers, which drives me insane sometimes. everyone in my family, even the decent cooks take twice the amount of time needed to cook something, and they're amazed every time when I cook the same thing in half the time. they tell me there's no way its cooked all the way and I'm like nah son not everything needs to be stewed for 2-6 hours. ive heard other americans complain about this too. if you watch foodwishes on youtube there's always requests for croc pots and pressure cookers.
>>
what's the cheapest cut of beef now?
>>
>>7564929
I did not know about this. I believe you but source? I'd like to read about it.
>>
>>7564952
round or whatever that shitty packaged 'stew meat' is.
>>
>>7564901
What kind of backwards fucked up world do you live in?
>>
>>7564967
replying to my own post, I'm pretty sure that stew meat is round and a bunch of cheap shit thrown into a package. seems like I read that in an american test kitchen/cooks illustrated magazine
>>
>>7564925
What would be the best cut of beef to get if you want to optimize low price and good taste?
>>
>>7564940

Outside is more flavorful & tender than inside.

It can be harder to find though as it's in high demand in Asia and thus commands a high wholesale price.
>>
>>7564975
It would clearly depend on the place selling it, but it's usually scraps of various meats--"usable trim" in kitchen jargon.
>>
>>7564812
The weather and ultimately the price of hay (feed), dictates the beef price in the USA.
Get an education you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7564980
Prime grade top sirloin.
>>
File: stupid town.jpg (26 KB, 479x349) Image search: [Google]
stupid town.jpg
26 KB, 479x349
>>7565002
sorry they didn't have beef class where I went to school
>>
>>7564985
>it's in high demand in Asia and thus commands a high wholesale price
Utter weeaboo bullshit.
Fuck off to reddit with your pseudo-economics.
>>
>>7565010
You never learn't basic economics?
>>
>>7564963
http://ageconomists.com/2015/06/08/is-texas-poised-to-rebuild-cow-herd/
>>
>>7565016
>basic economics
Basic beef economics?
>>
>>7565002

>most of US meat isn't corn fed shit anyways
>>
>>7565027
They're not corn fed until they go to the feedlot immediately before slaughter. For the majority of their life they just hang out and eat grass.
>>
>>7565016
yeah this

>>7565024

what country ass town did you grow up in where you were taught in detail about cattle farming? I mean you could have just informed me that's how it works like a functional human but you had to be a typical internet smartass and feign anger about my lack of beef knowledge.
>>
>>7565045

The point is that you don't need to know a damn thing about beef to understand the concept of supply and demand in general.
>>
>>7565054
You have to know that the weather was not good enough and hay prices went up though.
>>
>>7565054
no that wasn't your point at all. your point was that feed and weather dictates the price. don't move the goalpost and just admit that you were kind of a dick.

obviously I am aware of supply and demand, as I mentioned I realized in my very exaggerated-in-an-attempt-to-be-funny original post that it's gotten a lot more popular lately.
>>
File: 1303130977093.jpg (13 KB, 400x312) Image search: [Google]
1303130977093.jpg
13 KB, 400x312
>Publix selling inside skirt for 12.99 a lb
>>
>>7565006
thnks anon
>>
>>7565045
>what country ass town did you grow up in where you were taught in detail about cattle farming?

Lockhart, Texas
>>
>>7564862
>grill it rare

You'll get parasites, anon, that's not safe.
>>
>>7566028
>that's not safe

Correct, that is not safe in your third world country.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.