[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Coffee/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: coffee-wallpaper.jpg (625 KB, 3825x2466) Image search: [Google]
coffee-wallpaper.jpg
625 KB, 3825x2466
>"My setup costs more than my car" Edition

What's the most you'd be willing to spend on coffee gear, assuming you could afford it? I'd be pretty happy with my little 3 cup Moka even if I were rich, I think. I'd buy a much nicer grinder though.
>>
>>7564738
most i would spend is $1200 or so on an espresso machine
>>
Unlimited budget? Probably spend the $8,500 for a slayer espresso machine and a Baratza Forte grinder which would run me about $950. There are much more expensive grinders but a forte doesn't look like there's a rocket ship in my kitchen.

I spent $95~ on a bonavita variable temp kettle and $130 on a baratza encore and both those purchases felt very exuberant for me and my broke college student ass.
>>
All I got is a coffee presser and an electric water boiler. I'd like to get into those fancy cofee drinks like the capuchino and frapachinos and espressos
>>
So what's the deal with espresso? Are you really supposed to drink it when it's just made? How can you drink something that hot? Won't it burn your mouth?
>>
>>7566097
Yes. And it is made in such small volumes that it cools off within seconds. You should drink it within 30 seconds of being made for ideal taste.
>>
>>7565875
>owns a slayer single group
>is worried about being conspicuous
What?
>>
>>7565875
> those purchases felt very exuberant
Exorbitant*
>>
>>7564738
Same here. I was raised on moka so it's the best for me.
>>
>>7564738
same
i wouldn't get a bigass coffee machine with different functions and eveything, the maintenance is too much work for what you get back
a slow drip, moka pot and bean grinder is all i need
maybe a milk foamer one day
>>
File: ct1-2.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ct1-2.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
Getting one of these soon, CT-1, about $1800 after shipping from the Netherlands. My current vintage lever machines are under $1000 all together for the four of them.

Grinder I like best is the least expensive of my electric commercial ones actually, Bunn at $200 (used) with $430 Ditting KR804 burrs (new). The Mythos Plus and Compak K10 I just don't like as much, so going to be selling. The trio were bought used with the intention to sell two of, not a "keep all three" budget.

I could see myself upgrading to EK43 or EG-1 tier eventually. But I could see staying with this too.

Have a pretty expensive roaster too, a roastbee.

With the Strietman, the roaster, and the grinder it's a bit more expensive than I paid for my car actually (not counting any other money put in it) despite not being a Slayer tier setup, but that's mostly since the car I wanted to own was a cheap one I got a pretty great deal on. It's very much a hobby for me, not just wanting to drink coffee.
>>
File: NespressoFlavors.jpg (107 KB, 1025x526) Image search: [Google]
NespressoFlavors.jpg
107 KB, 1025x526
nespressofag here.
got the cheapo model nespresso machine.
I actually enjoy the espresso this lil thing spits out.
I like the consistency and convenience the machine affords me.
wake up, press button, 60 seconds later good espresso.
great espresso is just not worth the time, expense, and effort for me.
good espresso will do the job just fine.
>>
>>7567056
>great espresso is just not worth the time, expense, and effort for me.
>good espresso will do the job just fine.
That's a very pragmatic attitude. For someone with your point of view I recommend an espresso machine and a grinder, many people successfully make good espresso at home on something like a gaggia classic. There is no need to get a fancy $20,000 machine.

In the meantime, enjoy your nespresso '''coffee''' I guess. Seems like a waste of counter space when you could just get a jar of folgers crystals.
>>
>>7567065
>In the meantime, enjoy your nespresso '''coffee''' I guess.

Is the espresso my machine produces not legit espresso? Why the quotes?
>>
>>7567056
Consistency and time is exactly why I like them too, I like vanilla coffee and the slight variations because of the amount of grounds I get from the beans or the amount of syrup I add means they're never the same, and cleaning a cafetiere every time is a hassle.

>>7567092
He's under the impression that they contain instant coffee ("folgers crystals") instead of coffee grounds.
>>
So what's the deal with all these crazy coffee setups?
I'm a plebeian who just grinds up some beans, tosses them in a filter and poors near-boiling water over them.

How much taste is gained from doing all of this sorcery?
>>
>>7567729
>poors
Fuck's sake.
I'm retarded.
>>
>>7567729
Coffee made by filter, cafetiere, espresso and moka all taste different. The varieties of crazy setups exist because nobody can agree which tastes best.
>>
>>7567753
What's the cheapest to get into?
I'm willing to try and experiment a bit, as I love a good cup of coffee.
>>
>>7567758
Well if you've already got a grinder you can get a cafetiere for about $20 and try that.

The next cheapest would probably be an aero press which will set you back about $30 and let you try something basically comparable to espresso.

Then there's moka which will be around $40.

After that, espresso machines will set you back a few hundred dollars.
>>
File: IMG_20151204_104033109.jpg (1 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_104033109.jpg
1 MB, 5312x2988
No matter which way I rotate the image, clover rotates it sideways.

I wouldn't mind a gagia classic espresso machine for $400 but I'd rather be on the look out for commercial espresso lines.

I saw a local auction sell a marzocco (? All I remember is it started with m) commercial machine for $300
>>
>>7567778
>No matter which way I rotate the image, clover rotates it sideways.
No, whatever you're using to rotate the image isn't actually changing the image, just saving "rotation" somewhere as metadata and showing it to you offset by that amount.
>>
>>7567770
I'll try and get an aero press. They look pretty fun to use.
>>
I don't know about the Italian machines but I was pretty impressed with the Swiss made Jura machine we had at work. Colleague bought some super cheap, super crappy coffee at a discounter that didn't even smell right but somehow that fucking magic machine still managed to get some very tasty, creamy coffee out of it.
>>
>>7567770
>let you try something basically comparable to espresso
Moka pots are at least as close to real espresso as anything you can make with an Aeropress. Also, even Bialettis are more in the $25-30 range, with off brands being even cheaper.
>>
>>7566097
if you don't drink it within 20 or seconds of getting it then you've lost out on quality. If you don't drink it with in 2 minutes then you might as well throw it out.
>>
>>7567875
>>7566097
Is this something Italians tell gullible Anglo tourists to trick them into burning their mouths?
>>
>>7566097
good rule of thumb is to drink it while it still has crema on top. That's a little creamy emulsion of the coffee's oils. It serves as a "lid" sealing the aroma in.
If your espresso is served without crema, send it back. Either you got a decaf, it's been sitting out too long, or the barista didn't make it right.
>>
>>7567889
Unless you're preheating the cup, it should be at drinking temperature from the instant the shot is done pulling. Not the guy you replied to btw
>>
>>7567708
No, I know what's in those pods. Instant or not, it's the same quality: shit
>>
>>7567992
If you can't tell the difference between coffee which has been brewed, dehydrated, freeze dried and re-brewed and pre-ground coffee made with an espresso machine then you have no business being in this thread, friendo.
>>
File: list4.jpg (66 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
list4.jpg
66 KB, 600x440
Went to Vietnam for 4 weeks, came back with one of these and a shit ton of coffee

>hnnnggg
>>
>>7568000
I can tell the difference between cat shit and dog shit, doesn't really make it not shit now, does it?
>>
>>7568036
Are these basically the proto french press?
>>
>>7568036
I prefer the ones with the screw (surprisingly harder to find) so you can make a stronger cuppa Joe.
>>
File: nesp.jpg (210 KB, 940x265) Image search: [Google]
nesp.jpg
210 KB, 940x265
>>7567992
>>7568058
One third of all Michelin star chefs have no problem serving Nespresso in their restaurants. These are people who are picky and care about what goes into the mouths of their customers. They also have palates that can discern quality products.
Granted the choice to go with Nespresso has more to do with consistency and efficiency than it does with quality, but the fact that it passes their quality filter tells me that anyone calling Nespresso "shit" coffee probably hasn't tried it.
>>
>>7568097

I will freely admit that I am not a coffee expert (heck, I don't like it at all). But that being said I have read in multiple different places that coffee is very often an afterthought at restaurants, even very fancy ones. Apparently it's not unusual for even a 3-star place to serve mediocre coffee. For some reason it just doesn't get the same kind of focus on quality that the food and the wine receives.

Personally I wouldn't take the fact that Michelin star restaurants serve nespresso as any endorsement of quality.

How many dedicated coffee shops serve nespresso? That would be a better indicator.
>>
>>7568097
Meanwhile most of the upper-end of the specialty coffee world is perplexed and dismayed at the quality of fine dining coffee. NOMA uses Tim Wendleboe coffee and v60s I believe.
>>
>>7568117
I just read a book by Christian Puglisi. He used to work at Noma (and El bulli), now he runs his own restaurants which are also very highly ranked worldwide. He discusses coffee in that book and he mentioned that by far the most important detail was the water being used, and installed an RO system specifically for that purpose (and then went on to use it for other kitchen tasks, like making stocks). He also mentioned buying beans from a coffee roaster located near his restaurant Relae in Copenhagen.
>>
>>7568108
>How many dedicated coffee shops serve nespresso? That would be a better indicator.
Perception would be the obvious problem. Coffee shop customers would want a handcrafted product, of course.
All I'm saying is that 3 star restaurants, where they sometimes have about 5 staff per customer, why would they serve nespresso if they thought it wasn't good coffee?
>>
>>7568157
>why would they serve nespresso if they thought it wasn't good coffee?

Probably because they never thought about it. Nobody goes to a fancy restaurant for coffee. They go for the food and the wine. The coffee is an afterthought.

>>7568117
>Meanwhile most of the upper-end of the specialty coffee world is perplexed and dismayed at the quality of fine dining coffee

Yep. Dunno why it's as bad as it is, but that's what I've read too.
>>
>>7568097
It's honestly complete garbage. Fine dining just inst catering to the good coffee crowd.
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 670x446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 670x446
>>7564738
Your car is shit
>>
>>7568097
No, what it tells you is that coffee service isn't crucial to a Michelin star. That's it. It's on the level of having a good parking garage nearby, or the brand of soap in the bathroom.
>>
>>7568097
They probably give them all the coffee and coffee products free (or give extreme discounts or even pay them) to advertise that blatantly in a restaurant
>>
>>7568695
I doubt it. It's probably just the typical rich people in fine dining establishments associate Nespresso with great coffee. It's admittedly much better than the diner tar they probably drank growing up.

Until the currently specialty coffee crowd ages into the upper upper management roles, there just isn't a demand for it in fine dining. And even then, who orders coffee in a four+ digit priced meal?
>>
>>7568750
I was alluding the cases like he has in the picture where there is a literal ad for them in the restaurant.
With nestle being such a huge company, anything more than saying "Serving nespresso coffee" in the menu is probably funded.

Ads on the walls is fast food tier
>>
>>7568750
There's no better way to end a meal.
>>
>>7568750
>the typical rich people
Plenty of middle class people go to fine dining establishments, including me.

I grew up in a household with multiple types of hand grinders, electric steel burr grinders, espresso machines, chemexes, the works. This was in the 80s when that stuff was even more rare.

Thing is if there's a restaurant you really want to go to, you're not going to not go there because it's got Keurig shit. More likely, you just skip the coffee altogether. I don't really like caffeine after dinner, it keeps me up at night.
>>
What's a good brand for a home grinder?
>>
>>7568000
brah at what point do you think or is there even a line between "too much" machine and "just right amount of machine" using the same quality coffee bean. it seems everyone in the thread is throwin down dosh, but im happy with my discount breville, which brands should i be getting into to step my game up without going full on hipster?
>>
>>7568097
Why bother bringing in quality, fresh roasted beans when your customers likely don't give two shits how their coffee tastes like because they're just going to cream and sugar it. It's basically there to just have a nice bitterness that pairs well with desserts.
>>
>>7570169
why bother bringing in any good quality ingredients?
>>
>>7570025
Spend money on a grinder. Go for a baratza or a lido. Or a used EK43 if you can find one.
>>
ITT:
>not spending money on good quality coffee beans
>Using espresso machine instead of manual brew to get the real taste of the coffee

What's wrong with y'all nigga?
>>
>>7570381
shit costs money, nigga
>>
I use a pour over which is cheap, but I need a good grinder and they're really fucking expensive.
>>
>>7567032
Couldn't that be made for like $200?
>>
>>7570859
Brewing method is very important, anon. Grind precision, water control, temperature, etc.

If the price was lower it would be shit. I don't think you understand the importance of quality. Expensive equals good.

t. Coffee placebophile

p.s. today I spent $490 on a burr
>>
File: dmb_1.jpg (115 KB, 800x1600) Image search: [Google]
dmb_1.jpg
115 KB, 800x1600
>>7564738
La Pavoni fag here.
I bought a nice Domus Bar DMB and i really love that thing. After fiddling with it a bit- adjusting grain size of the grinder, getting to know how hard to press the coffee into the sieve etc- it produces espresso from heaven.
And because i live in Switzerland and can import italian coffee like Cagliari and Fantini.
>>
>>7570381
Good espresso captures the flavor of good beans every bit as much as good manual brew.

>>7570859
If you already own all of the equipment to fabricate the parts, find reclaimed materials (high quality workable metals aren't very cheap), and value your time at 0 maybe you could get it under 500. Not 200 even then though, the cartridge heaters, precision thermostat, baskets, and other parts you'd need to buy are already over that. Building something of high enough quality to last decades is expensive.
>>
coffee is shit. if you don't make it tolerable with cream & sugar, it's bitter shit. if you let it get cold, it's bitter shit. there is literally no reason to drink coffee. there's a handful of reasons not to, though. you're literally steeping seeds into water for a cocktail of heavy metals and pesticides, and it's making you demented.

now tea, tea's the shit. tea's where it's at. tea's gone cold, ur wonderin why? doesn't matter. it's just as delicious as a hot brewed cup, perhaps even moreso. tea's got all sortsa anti-occident goodies in it. coffee will just stain your mouth. the dental industry is probably ecstatic that there're so many same-ass hivemind idiot coffee drinkers openly willing to destroy their dental situation with dirtwater. more business for those mouth-poking dolts. makes me sick. coffee.. 'the fuck out my face with that crap.
>>
>>7570979
Coffee is the most consumed antioxidant in America.
>>
>>7570975
>precision thermostat
>cartridge heaters
Memes.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.