[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know where else I'd ask this but I need your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: sugar.jpg (51 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
sugar.jpg
51 KB, 650x350
I don't know where else I'd ask this but I need your help, /ck/

I'm completely addicted to sugar. I've tried a hundred times to cut my intake even to just 'normal' amounts but I've found it entirely impossible.
I feel like the cravings for sugar take over my brain. I don't drink soda, but I love sweets, especially baked goods.
I eat sugary cereal every morning and out of habit dump several teaspoons of sugar on top of the already sugary cereal.

I don't know how to overcome this but I've done nothing but slowly and steadily gain weight over the last 3-4 years and I need to cut it out.
how have you guys managed to cut or even eliminate sugar in your diets?
what did you use as replacements? did you ever have physical symptoms in reaction to the lack of sugar?
>>
>>7563485
stop eating sugar. Yes you will feel like shit for a few weeks if you are that into it; feeling bored as fuck without it, but after that you'll be good.
>>
>>7563490
if it was as easy as just not eating it I wouldn't be posting here dummy
thanks for the retard-tier advice
>>
>>7563507
there is no shortcut, stop eating it....
>>
>>7563485
remove access to it within your household and combine it with willpower when you're out of your house.

it will get easier. promise.
>>
>>7563485
If it's an addiction, you can try to replace a particular behavior with another one that preoccupies you, but is healthier. Think gum chewing or eating carrots or something for quitting smoking. Going for a walk can keep your mind of an addiction sometimes. Another thing you can do is to simply not buy straight sugar, or overly sugary food. A therapist that specializes in addiction could help.

I don't eat sugar anymore. I have a very low carb diet. Been a type 1 diabetic all my life. I'm getting older, my blood sugar levels were not really in good control and I'm seeing other diabetics my age having disease complications or dying, I just decided I wanted to live to be 70 or 80-something, not 50-60. I guess something has to medically scare you enough to quit it. If you keep getting fatter you're gonna get the type 2, heart problems and all that fun shit.
>>
>>7563507
Stop buying sugar.
Buy fruit instead.
>>
File: AH HAHAH FAGGOT.jpg (3 KB, 101x125) Image search: [Google]
AH HAHAH FAGGOT.jpg
3 KB, 101x125
>>7563485
goddamn would you suck dick for a pastrey
>>
Ween yourself slowly. For the next week or two, keep track of how many sugary things you eat.
Write. Them. Down.

Starting the week following, eat a little less of them. Like, if you pour yourself a cup and a half of cereal in the morning, pour yourself a cup and a third. If you eat three biscuits/cookies as a sweet snack, have two or two and a half instead.
Then a week or two after that, cut down a little more. Then a little more another week or two thereafter. And so on. And so on. And so on. Until you're down to where you wanna be.

The process is not difficult nor even tasking to do beyond 'tism-tier note-taking.
>>
Is it the flavour or the sugar rush?
I know its gay as fuck but a friend of mine lost a shit tonne of weight using a vape with lots of those weird dessert flavours
For the rush, I know its not good for you but try black coffee and sweeteners , or strong green tea and honey
>>
Get honey, maple syrup, or agave instead
>>
>>7563485
The best way to break a habit is to start another habit. Nicotine, crack, alcohol or just eat some celery with some peanut butter with a few chocolate chips to ween yourself off.
>>
>>7563485
You've got to wean yourself off, like anything else. Try chopping a banana and putting it into your cereal instead of the extra sugar. then, switch cereal brands. I like special K with the dried fruit, but you can buy it plain. Replace every drink with water. Slice up a lemon or some cucumber to flavor it, it'll calm your cravings down. And drink A LOT, sugar dehydrates you and that's part of the reason you feel like crap.
>>
>>7563485
Cut things out one thing at a time
Start with no more sugary drinks.
Only water, tea and coffee without any sort of sweetener

Then no more snacks/candy
Try changing to fruit and veggies

Then no more desserts
More fruit

Trying to go 100 to 0 is going to be too much for anyone
>>
start with cutting all cereal out of your diet. plain potatos and salt, or beans (not baked beans) and whole wheat bread, for breakfast.

next replace all sugary things with artificial sweetener. and stop eating baked goods.
>>
>>7564685
The artificial ones might be bad, use something natural like stevia.
>>
>>7564664
> 100 to 0 is going to be too much for anyone

Don't blanket statement things. The only way I was able to quit cigarettes, coke, booze, HFCS and some others was to go cold turkey. For me, weaning doesn't work. Cold turkey or nothing. Everyone is different. Willpower is what makes it work regardless of whether you go cold or wean off.
>>
Just start referring to it as the white poison like I do. It helps you to start hating it enough to quit.
>>
>>7563507
He's right though

refined sugar is unnatural, start eating more fruit and less processed foods with things like HFCS. You will feel crummy for about a week, but then it will get much easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyeor3z9EdQ
>>
>>7564714
>Willpower is what makes it work regardless of whether you go cold or wean off.
This. All of the baby steps in the world won't amount to shit if you don't have the will to keep at it. It's no different from cold turkey in that regard.

OP should find out what works for him, going cold or weaning off, but either way he needs to commit to it. That's where the willpower comes in.
>>
>>7563485
eat fruit
>>
I love sweet things too so I usually keep some kind of toffees or hard candy around so if I want something sweet I can just have one of those and be eating it for a few minutes, as opposed to mindlessly wolfing down a whole bag of jellies or m&ms or whatever. theres no need to cut it out altogether

just sit down and come up with some kind of plan to allow yourself a small bit of chocolate/candy here and there at different times of the day
>>
>>7564714
>>7564789

The point of weaning is to reduce the risk of withdrawal symptoms in things that are physically addictive, like alcohol or opiates

That's a fundamentally different thing than a psychological addiction that would apply to food. There is no medical reason at all to taper off your eating habits.
>>
>>7564375
Agave is worse
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.