[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does anyone seriously not know how to use chopsticks? If answered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 6
File: disposable-chopsticks.jpg (40 KB, 728x487) Image search: [Google]
disposable-chopsticks.jpg
40 KB, 728x487
does anyone seriously not know how to use chopsticks?

If answered "yes" to the question, which inland state do you hail from?
>>
>>7561725
>Implying you faggots got past tweezermode but still wanna get "culture" points.

In any case, I know how to and I'm from the inland state of TN. I like things that can be eaten with chopsticks and I don't like washing silverware so it just worked out.
>>
>>7561725
California.

Fuck you.
>>
>>7561735

Why don't you bother to learn?

it's easy enough to learn and you can impress the right people with it.
>>
>>7561725
>does anyone seriously not know how
yes
>do I?
yes
>>
>>7561744
who the fuck is impressed that somebody can use chopsticks?
>>
>>7561772
Old people.
>>
>>7561772
Asians
>>
It took me a long time as a kid to learn to use chopsticks well, but that was because I'm left handed, and I had right-handed people trying to teach me. But fuck, I'm from Texas and have been able to use chopsticks well since I was....at least 7 or 8 years old. Then again, my parents were adventurous eaters and took us out often to try new cuisines (which was hard back in the 80s, there weren't many different kinds of Asian restaurants like there are now, or other restaurants from around the world like there are now. We used to drive hours to find certain places.) Now I live in the Pacific Northwest, and using chopsticks is pretty much standard. I use them for cooking as well, they're great for flipping bacon.
>>
I ate at a Chinese restaurant in Midland Texas and had to ask the waitress for chopsticks as they only set out silverware.

I shit you not half the waitstaff came to my table to watch me eat with chopsticks, like I was some sort of cross cultural zoo exhibit
>>
>>7561725
If you hold chopsticks like the pic in the OP, then you don't know how to use them
>>
File: 1459012070266.gif (166 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1459012070266.gif
166 KB, 500x281
>that one friend who has to re-learn how to use chopsticks every single time, no matter how often you eat azn
>>
>he doesn't hold his chopsticks all the way at the back
さすが。フライオーバーです。
>>
>>7561725
I don't. I have to have them rigged with a rubberband at the end.
>>
>>7561772
only inlanders, ironically enough
>>
>>7561772
Autists on 4chan
>>
they really are a preferred method to eat many things
>at a japanese restaurant
>get unadon
>sauce soaks into the rice
>its no longer clumped together and easy to pick up
>not about to use the shovel method
>eating my rice slowly, scooping it with the sticks a few grains at a time
>waitress comes over with a smirk
>oh, do you want a spoon?
>already has the spoon handy
>puts it on the table
>her and the other waitresses look over at me and giggle
never again
>>
>>7561803
You're literally supposed to shovel rice into your face with copsticks. That's how it's done.
>>
>>7561780
Don't feel bad, we live in a predominately Japanese area, and they take pictures of us eating all the time, which was uncomfortable at first, but now I just find it funny.
>>
>>7561780
That's moe. I had an old lady come up and feed me because I was using chopsticks wrong. "No no, you hold like this! Here, I show you how!"
>>
>>7561820
That's honestly pretty cute. I hope you didn't get too upset.

>>7561735
I grew up in the Bay Area and I knew how to use chopsticks by the time I was 3. Step it up senpai.
>>
>>7561831
I took my lesson graciously, and always hold my chopsticks properly, to avoid future lessons.
>>
How is anyone not able to use chopsticks it's literally like holding a pencil.
>>
>>7561725
i have short thumbs and i feel like chopsticks might be a chore
>>
>>7562087
>it's literally like holding a pencil.

Except it's two pencils and they're twice the length and one of the pencils move and it's nothing like holding a pencil.
>>
>>7562095
I don't even hold a pencil like most people, and a lot of people hold pencils in different ways.
>>
>>7562098
>can't into precision grip
>criticises people for not using chopsticks
>>
chopsticks are without a doubt the most retarded way to get food into your mouth.
>>
File: ai11708.jpg (36 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
ai11708.jpg
36 KB, 300x470
Haha wow totally forgot there's people out there who don't know how to use chopsticks.

I had trouble until I was maybe 7 or 8 growing up, it's really more than just second nature now. I literally did not think about it at all until this thread came up.

Just takes practice guys, and it's better than the barbarian fork
>>
>>7562104
Actually, I'm an artist and have perfected the most precise and dextrous pencil grip over the last 20 years. Get on my level.
>>
Yes
Hungary
>>
File: Many-chopsticks.jpg (108 KB, 682x527) Image search: [Google]
Many-chopsticks.jpg
108 KB, 682x527
>>7562116
>maintains the shape/texture of object unlike forks which pierce the food and can fuck it up
>takes elegance and poise as opposed to hurdur stabbing a thing

jealous flyover detected
>>
>>7562116
>all the benefits of finger food with none of the greasy mess

Anon's post is without a doubt the most retarded one in the thread.
>>
>>7561725
>OP thought to himself, "I'm in a belittling mood today, how shall I satisfy this urge? Ah, the lack of proficiency in primitive utensils shall serve me well
>>
>>7561725

I can bluff my way though an Asian meal with them, but no more than that.

I am Scottish, we don't really have them here.
>>
>>7562126

>pretending to be a weeb is elegant and classy
>>
>>7562126
>trying this hard ton justify inanity
>>
Just a reminder that slant eyes don't use chopsticks because they're classy but because old school nobles were terrified at having blades at the dinner table
>>
>>7562142
Also old school Yurops were still eating with their filthy, unwashed hands at the time and were super impressed with the refined elegance of chopsticks.
>>
this is your reminder that any white person who is proficient with chopsticks looks like an enormous weeb
>>
>>7562147

What you mean to say is old school euros realised God gave us two perfectly good eating utensils and God fearing whites saw no reason to complicate the process
>>
>>7561725
Yes- I eat chinese a few times a year at best. I think the last time I had it was 2 years ago.

Hailing from Mass.
>>
>>7562147
>Euros didn't clean themselves meme
>>
>>7562152
Better not eat with a fork either then, that's a Southwest Asian invention.
>>
>>7562165
South West Asia is just a fancy way of saying southeast Europe
>>
>>7562167
If Syria is Europe then why is everyone upset about the refugees?
>>
File: cordelia-fork-chopstick_image.jpg (17 KB, 437x193) Image search: [Google]
cordelia-fork-chopstick_image.jpg
17 KB, 437x193
Hm I think it's kinda interesting how the type of eating utensils reflect the overall culture.

>Europe/"West"
>Fork & Knife
>Fucking stab that shit and cut it up
>Seen as imperialistic, aggressive

>Asians/East
>Chopsticks
>Carefully pick it up
>Generally seen as more passive, complacent

>India/Other shitstain countries
>Just eat that shit with your hand
>One to wipe, one to eat
>Literally couldn't advance enough technologically or culturally to figure out a different way to shovel food in their mouths
>>
>>7562178
Racism, no one likes the Irish either and they're clearly part of Europe
>>
>>7562118
Get a load of this try hard
>>
>>7562178
Eurasia is one big continent ya putz
>>
>>7562205
>asians, passive, complacent

Someone has zero knowledge of the centuries of Chinese/Japanese brutalization
>>
only white people fuss over this shit. who cares if you eat sushi with a fork.
>>
>>7562239
Sushi is a hand food, only a white would use chopsticks
>>
Learmed a few years ago but forgot now. I hail from the rainy lands of Washington so fuck yourself with a rusty fork OP.
>>
>>7562250
>being this much of a try hard
unless they have water bowls ima eat that shit how i please
>>
>>7562262
>eating hand food with hands is "trying hard"

ok Hoss
>>
>>7562262
>water bowls

Holy shit getaloadofthisidiot
>>
>>7562205
Europe ate with their hands well into the 1700s and if you honestly believe the East hasn't been imperialistic or aggressive then you need to read a book.
>>
>>7562269
most japanese people dont even eat sushi with their hands
>>
>>7562278
Yes we do
>>
>>7562283
hiro pls go back to fixing this site
>>
>>7561725
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BUxvqSfHaE
>>
>>7561725
I can, but never use them unless I'm not given anything else.

You just have to go to your local Chinatown and watch native born chopstick users in action to realize it's not a utensil designed for dignified eating.
>>
>>7562126
Hey I have a bunch of those top ones!
>>
I can use chopsticks just fine, but if actual decent utensils are available I'll use them instead because I'm not a retard.
>>
Flyovers refuse to learn how to use chopsticks and would actually rather physically maim another human being than simply ATTEMPT to use them.
>>
fuck you OP, i'm from chicago and i used to only use chopsticks instead of forks.

>>7561732
where in TN? 931 here.
>>
>>7561803
Picking up the bowl and scooping it into your mouth is ok to do.

You probably just looked like you were struggling.
>>
I use them and I am Mexican
>>
>>7562153
Baka!
>>
>>7561807
>>7562734
Yep, having the table manners of an animal is perfectly fine when using chopsticks. That's what they're for.
>>
>>7561744

Never eat food that requires it, and if I want to catch flies, I use a swatter.

I even have one with an extendable handle, just in case a fly is a little out of regular reach. It's pretty nice. Way easier than catching one with chopsticks, too.

Ain't modern living grand?
>>
>>7562748
>my arbitrary western standards for table manners are objectively correct
>>
>>7562773
Considering the standards amount to not making a display, yes they are. They are 100% guaranteed to not cause trouble for others.
>>
Why the fuck would you ever use chopsticks. They're objectively inferior at compared to a fork/spoon.
>>
>>7562793
>oh no, the guy next to me picked up his bowl
how exactly does this cause you any trouble?
>>
>>7562800
It's invariably noisy and his wide open mouth as he shovels the food in provides a disgusting line of sight to the inside of his mouth.
>>
>>7562815
Billions of people literally don't care and you wouldn't either if you weren't some weirdo looking directly at someone's mouth while they were eating. Picking up a bowl and leaving it on the table create the same amount of noise. In the one rare instance where there is noise, slurping while eating noodles, it serves a functional purpose and you stop noticing really quickly when everyone else is doing it.
>>
yeah, im from Australia. I can manage, but its not pretty
>>
>>7562815
I didn't read the thread beyond the few posts here on the front page so feel free to disregard this post.

It looks like you're up in arms about the way that different cultures eat foodstuffs. The proper way of eating ethnic foods is how the culture does it.

For example, when I eat long-stranded pasta I twirl the noodles around my fork. When I eat ramen I slurp. Insisting on doing it any other way is ultimately fine because it is your food and eating experience, but do not look down on others for eating properly, as in according to their culture.

polite sage for not reading the thread
>>
Not perfectly, but I can.

But chopsticks are meme. If there's silverware in the vicinity there's no reason for you to tryhard your way through a succulent Chinese meal. The main reason one learns to use chopsticks is not so they can eat a food properly, but so they can show off.
>>
>>7563004
>silverware
La di da.

>The main reason one learns to use chopsticks is not so they can eat a food properly, but so they can show off.
Flyover? Flyover.
>>
Why the fuck would you use chopsticks when you can simply stab shit with a fork? To be a culturally diverse hipster faggot?
>>
Nova Scotia, Canada
Eating Japanese food with your hands is completely acceptable
>>
>>7563004
> is not so they can eat a food properly, but so they can show off.

Completely false. People that use chopsticks to show off are autistic. It's like being proud that you know how to write with a pen.

The eating experience is changed depending on the utensil(s) used to eat the food. There are studies on this.
>>
I suck all my food through a straw. If I'm at a restaurant I order my food, have it served, and then send it back to be put in a blender and brought back.
>>
>>7563029
At least you have the respect to look at it before having it blended.
>>
>>7563010
Salad is much better and easier to eat with chop sticks than a fork

Chopsticks also make it harder to shovel in food faster than your body can react to it being full
>>
>>7563058
Or you could chew your food fully.
>>
>>7562797
I can't eat cheetos very well with a fork/spoon!
>>
I have dyspraxia
I can sort of use them but I'm very slow
>>
american style holding them 3/4 of the way down and clumsily shoving food into your mouth is not 'using chopsticks'.
>>
>>7562724
901 here.
>>
>>7561725
I know HOW, but I don't have the dexterity for it. It's less demeaning to ask for a fork than to scatter rice and sauce EVERYWHERE.

>>7562116
Beats using your fingers.
>>
>>7564614
Also, western 'chinese' food is designed to be eaten with a fork. Stabbing and scooping is easy, and nothing needs slicing because it's all small bitesize chunks.
>>
>>7562237
>>7562275
>>7562205

BTFO'D
>>
The only thing a fork does better than chopsticks is secure a slab of meat while you cut it. Thankfully, asian cuisine has the chef do that in the kitchen.
>>
They are only superior to Western cutlery in certain situations where grabbing is necessary or the food is too fragile for a fork:

Korean bbq
Hotpot and shabu shabu type stuff
Sushi

Go to a chinese joint in america and count up all the asians using chopsticks, it's not very many
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.