[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I realized yesterday that I can use crushed up altoids as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: altoids-01.jpg (25 KB, 465x275) Image search: [Google]
altoids-01.jpg
25 KB, 465x275
So, I realized yesterday that I can use crushed up altoids as "anti-pepper" and I'm actually at a loss of what do with this information

Coffee? Sweets? Sauces? Sushi?

I was thinking of adding it to a mint salsa verde to increase its coolness and serving it with rack of lamb but I'm actually having trouble comprehending the implications of this technique.
>>
get yourself a t shirt at buffalo wild wings
>>
Crush it up in a puddle and mirtle
>>
>>7559542
>>7559551
what the fuck does this even have to do with cooking?
>>
>>7559499
Just use some fucking dried mint you twit. what the fuck is "anti-pepper?"
>>
>>7559655
Dried mint isn't the same thing. Mint itself has mostly herbal flavors, the menthol content is very low. Altoids have a higher menthol content than any other candy and as a result have almost no taste other than "cold"

The point of this isn't to impart the herbal flavor of mint, but the coldness. That's the big mystery
>>
>>7559499
How high are you?
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
You know you can just buy menthol right
>>
>>7559848

how do you even use this stuff

just dissolve it in some hot water or something
>>
>>7559848
too expensive, too hard to get, and too strong to use. Not to mention that much is almost certainly poisonous

>>7559824
I'm not. I'm just fascinated by the idea of an untouched dimension of flavor.
>>
>>7559863
>too expensive, too hard to get

20 bucks for a pound on amazon
>>
>>7559692
You can get peppermint/spearmint oil at your local hippie bullshit store.
>>
>>7559877
$1.50 a tin from the deli next door.

There's no good reason to use menthol unless you're concerned about sugar ruining the flavor

>>7559887
yeah, for like $15 an oz. This is the simplest solution. What I care about is finding something to use it for
>>
>>7559889
Something tells me whatever you try with altoids will vaguely taste like toothpaste and orange juice
>>
>>7559927
That's the reason I'm having trouble.

See, the bitter taste of toothpaste and orange juice is caused by something other than the mint flavoring, but I can't separate the two ideas from each other
>>
>>7559933
Idk what to tell you other than use menthol and mint/spearmint oil on its own
>>
>>7559953
You're misunderstanding. The problem isn't that I'm having the the orange juice toothpaste flavor, the problem is that I can't imagine the right flavor combinations because any time I try to imagine what, say, menthol and orange juice taste like together, I just imagine toothpaste instead of menthol
>>
>>7559960
Haven't you ever had some of those crappy minty fruit gums? It'd probably be kind of like that.
>>
>>7559933
Chew some star anise for inspo.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.