[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like chili con queso /ck/? I think its amazing but I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: 2013-03-28-r-chile-con-queso.jpg (123 KB, 1000x607) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-28-r-chile-con-queso.jpg
123 KB, 1000x607
Do you like chili con queso /ck/? I think its amazing but I can never make it as good at home as most restaurants do. I think its because I use some Velveeta and I think the mexicans have supplies of some secret delicious melting cheese that you can't just buy at the grocery store. Do you guys have any tips or amazing chili con queso recipes?
>>
Its literally just American cheese, go to a supermarket deli, those little individually wrapped ones don't work. Heat 1 cup of milk per pound of cheese to just under boiling and slowly stir in said amount of cheese. Mix in pico or salsa or whatever you feel like. Don't use velveeta.
>>
>>7559535
How about this? I've used it before for things like mac and cheese and grilled cheese and noticed it was much better than velveeta, its just sort of expensive. I just wonder what the mexican restaurants are using, they must be getting American cheese from a big food supplier and it tastes better than velveeta.
>>
>>7559648
That'll work. I used used to use those big blocks at work until my supplier started offering a shredded variety that melts quicker. Again, you can just buy it by the pound at any deli counter without having to buy the whole block.
>>
Butter milk and cream cheese, idiiiiiooooooot.
>>
>>7559535
The wrapped american cheese works fine. I use white if available.

OP get a pound of white american cheese. Throw two jalapeños on a flame or under the broiler to char the fuck out of them and cover them in a bag or bowl while you cook half a onion (diced) in butter. Season it with cumin and any thing else you like. Peel the skin off the jalapeños. Dice them up and put in with onion. Add a half cup of milk and when the shits warm enough to melt cheese start adding a couple slices at a time stirring and adding cheese and stirring.

You might want to cook on medium low so you don't burn it.
If it seems to thick add a splash of milk. Season it again. This is better than restaurant dip because its spicier and the onion is great.

Fuck corn chips too. Fry up some egg roll wraps instead, called wantons I think. But that's my preference. There kinda thin but so crispy
>>
>>7559535
>>7559893
These but use pepper jack instead of american.
>>
File: queso-blanco-dip2 (1).jpg (47 KB, 465x311) Image search: [Google]
queso-blanco-dip2 (1).jpg
47 KB, 465x311
Bump

>>7559893
That sounds fucking gross, lol that is not how people make chili con queso. And egg roll wraps? What state do you live in just to be curious? Are you even American?
>>
File: F00974.jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
F00974.jpg
16 KB, 320x320
First of all, you need melting salts like sodium citrate or sodium hexametaphosphate. You don't have to use american cheese or velveeta. You can literally use any quality cheese you want and it wont separate into a greasy mess when you melt it. When making something strongly flavored like a chile con queso, you'll want to use a quality sharp cheddar melted in some milk (using a little bit of sodium citrate). Mix into that melted cheese some pickled jalapenos. There's your base that you can add your meat to.
>>
>>7560604
Is that hard to find? Where do you buy it? I support American "cheese" because it tastes good and melts well but to me Velveeta has a bad flavor. I think I'd like to start making my own American cheese.
>>
>>7560610
Easy to find on amazon.

https://youtu.be/ENMoC6fMwFE
>>
>>7560618
Nice! So are there any cheeses you can't use doing this? I'd like to process some cheese for reasons, using gorgonzola, asiago, cheddar, swiss, etc. I think I'm going to order that and make special American cheese. I might make threads about it.
>>
>>7560627
Check their site that has the actual recipe. If you scroll down it gives you all the info on all the different cheeses and how to alter the recipe.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices
>>
>>7560574
oHIo here, so finding good Mexican food is impossible unless I make it. The dip in the pic looks just like chi-chis, my first Mexican foods. I liked it. But for the last 20 years white cheese dip is all that's found here. There's not a lot in in those, just green chilies. At least around here.

I like mine with more heat, and who don't like onion? Is white cheese dip just a shitty Midwest thing?

And yeah the wanton wraps are laughable, my buddy that works at a pfchangs brought over some kale/yogurt dip and the chips were wontons, I never had them before and loved them. I prefer a lighter crispier chip, and that they are, plus with the round-up ready GMO corn these days, I don't like the idea of non-organic tortilla chips. So I was happy to find fried wantons as a better alternative.

>>7559902
I'm pretty sure I tried jack once, it didn't separate but was gritty so I went back to white american.

>>7560604
Pickled jalapeños in cheese dip seems off to me, I love pickles but won't try them in my dip. And I'm ignorant to melting salts and hopefully will be for the rest of my life.

What's a better cheese to use anons(please don't say cheddar)? Something not gritty

I love Mexican food, cheese dip the most. so what's some other ingredients to add?
>>
>>7562170
In Texas white chili con queso is unheard of. I've travelled outside the state quite a bit though and find that tex mex is very different depending on where you are. In other states they use white cheese and it usually is awful. Mexican food in general has been terrible when I travel, the farther northeast you go the worse it gets, the stuff I've had around Pennsylvania and the east coast was worse than Taco Bell. However the "mexican" food from New Mexico, Arizona, and california was very good but different from tex mex. From what I've gathered as long as the state shares a border with Mexico it's probably good food, albeit not authentic Mexican food.
>>
>>7559374
They probably use queso fresco you goofball
>>
>>7562189
So what your used to is looking like the pic OP provided?
>>
File: ninfaschiliconqueso.jpg (53 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
ninfaschiliconqueso.jpg
53 KB, 380x380
>>7562254
Not exactly but that looks fairly normal. Pic related is exactly what your stereotypical tex mex chili con queso looks like.
>>
>Asadero cheese
>Oaxaca OR Queso Quesdilla cheese
>flat beer
>minced grilled serrano and onion
>sodium citrate

Pour flat beer into saucepan and add sodium citrate. Heat, stirring, until the sodium citrate is fully dissolved and the beer is hot enough to melt cheese. Add the minced grilled serrano and minced grilled onion. Slowly add shredded Asadero and Oaxaca cheeses, stirring constantly, until melted and the queso is smooth. Serve with warm tortilla chips.
>>
>>7562193
You can't use queso fresco in chile con queso. It doesn't melt right.
>>
>>7562189
That is absolutely NOT true. There's a metric shit ton of mexican restaurants in Texas that make white chile con queso. One of the best is from a place (one of many, lol) called Jalisco's. You can find it everywhere. You can also find the orange/yellow kind everywhere as well. But to say white chile con queso is UNHEARD of is a blatant lie. You need to get out more.
>>
File: chedjack.jpg (380 KB, 1638x922) Image search: [Google]
chedjack.jpg
380 KB, 1638x922
>>7560627
>I might make threads about it.
Don't bother.
This is just cheddar and monteray jack. I've made many variations/mixes. Pretty easy. Used chef steps as a guide at first.
Here's some tips:
You don't need sodium hetametaphosphate, just sodium citrate.
You don't need a sous vide to make it. Hot (not boiling) water in a pot on the stove works.
Pour the cheese into a loaf pan (like in pic) lined with plastic to form a block for easy slicing.
Alternately, if making a small amount, pour it onto large sheet pans 1/4 inch thick or so. Cut into squares...
>>
>>7562272
Ninfa's is shit tier.
>>
>>7562290
For reals?
>>
>>7562291
Its pretty bland also, never tried it with my cheese dip

>>7562296
Now I don't know what to believe. I can't remember seeing a non white cheese dip here in oHIo in twenty years. And I go to spots just to see how their cheese dip stacks up,
thought I found a decent place, so I go in a second time to order a large cheese dip Togo and they didn't hook me up with chips and I didn't have wantons yet.so I said to the guy , what am I supposed to dip, my fingers, and he said I only get chips if I order a meal, and he didn't even fucking offer to sell me any! I was so pissed I threw that sac in the parking lot and will never go back there.
>>
>>7562317
What's ninfas
>>
Torchy's has good queso.
>>
Nacho cheese
Beans
Ground beef
Green jalapeno
Red bell pepper
Chives
Cilantro
Chopped tomato

Easy peasy
>>
>>7562525
>Nacho cheese
lol
>>
>>7562526

Nacho cheese is essentially cheddar, which is superior to american with a chili con queso.
Or did you not know that and only focused on the word "nacho", because you're a dumb fuck who doesn't know any better?
>>
>>7562534
hahahahahaha
>>
>>7562545

>Uh oh, someone BMTFO, better defuse on the double!
>>
>>7562317
Your shit tier holy fuck kill yourself
>>
>>7562587
lol stop, your tears are coming through my monitor
>>
>>7562447
>>7562296
We have Jalisco's in southern IN as well.
>>
>>7562519
It's why I always make it trashy.
>>
>>7562779
did u get their taco otm from december? holy ballsack
>>
>>7562611
someone got buttmad, guys
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.