[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /ck/ likes oysters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13
File: dsc01161.jpg (271 KB, 800x648) Image search: [Google]
dsc01161.jpg
271 KB, 800x648
Does /ck/ likes oysters?
>>
File: cloister.jpg (10 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
cloister.jpg
10 KB, 299x168
>>7555841
Does /cl/ likes cloisters?
>>
>>7555841
yes
>>7555845
no
>>
>>7555841
YES SIREE
>>
>>7555841
I do admit I chew them. No regrets.
>>
why is a food which is abundant and requires virtually zero preparation so expensive?
>>
>>7555841
I used to love them, but I had a bad one that made me sick and it's hard to eat them now.
>>
I love oysters raw on the half shell, but something about cooked oysters just grosses me out.

>>7555935
pain in the ass to open. it sounds dumb, but that is really where a lot of the price comes from.
>>
Yep. I eat two dozen every monday. yum yum
>>
>>7555935
>>7556011
It also has to be alive, as well.
>>
Got MASSIVE food poisoning from them once, so no. Not that I don't like the taste, I simply can't bring myself to put them in my mouth without gagging.
>>
>>7555841
Raw yes, cooked no
>>
>>7555845
lol
>>
>>7556316

Yeah, I think it's mainly because they can't be preserved
>>
>>7555841
love the cockles
>>
>>7556011

get some weeb deep fried oysters down you. delicious.
>>
Ever since I started watching food network I've wanted to try oysters rockafeller
>>
>>7555841
You mean memesters? No.
>>
Overrated. Literally tastes like the ocean. I don't get it.
>>
All seafood is delicious except pyura
>>
>>7556331
I'm afraid that will end up being an inevitability at some point, I should enjoy it while it lasts.
>>
>>7557403
Oysters and white wine are a nice combination. Most people I've seen eat them put hot sauce or lemon juice of them to break up the saltyness.
>>
>>7555930
I chew them too. I also chew ice cream. My dad makes fun of me
>>
>>7557387
>Being this much of a pleb
>>
>>7555841
they're ok but crazy overrated
>>
>>7555841
Not after I saw Mr. Bean get sick after eating them.
>>
I like them grilled.
>>
>>7555841
ok, overrated tho
>>
>>7555841
My absolute fav food.
>>
>>7555841
Oysters are great. So far the best I've had have been in Seattle.
Any other recommended oyster locals around the world?
>>
Love em. Growing up in south Louisiana I must have caught, shucked, and chargrilled, battered, fried, gumbo'd, sauced, and sucked town a million of these gooey mussels. Sadly my old man stomach rejects them now.
>>
I love oysters

Went on a backpacking trip around the northwest part of France a couple years back, stopped at a seaside town that I don't remember the name of, and had some that were probably caught about an hour earlier. Raw, with a little sea water for seasoning and a couple drops of lemon juice. Absolutely fucking fantastic and hopefully I can go back someday to do it again.
>>
Oysters are good but even better was being taught by a Maori girl how to pull green lipped mussels off rocks in Miti Miti (north island nz) and open them by twisting against each other then slurping the mussels down.

Beats 1 hour old Sydney Rock Oysters for taste. Also got a hard-on that night that left the wife sore as fuck.
>>
Canada fag here, not to be rude to our pants or anything but every time I've had oysters in the states(boston, maine, tennessey, loisiana, seattle) they have always had a ton of grit in them, like its almost like people expect oysters to have chunks of dirt and shell and sand. I work at an oyster bar up here and everybody knows that grit is unforgivable.

Can any ameribros confirm? Or maybe I've just had bad luck(although a lot of people I talk to that have gotten them in the states have said the same thing while on vacation).
>>
>>7555841
Love them any way they can be prepared. Gotta be good ones though.
>>
Is there a reason why canned oysters are so cheap, aside from the fact that they're usually shipped from china or korea?
>>
>>7560964
Sure, and it works like this:

-oyster fisherman shows up seafood market with a bunch of oysters
-some get sold promptly, but some just sit around
-oyster guy needs to sell the oysters before they go bad and thus become worthless
-oyster canning company buys the oysters at a big discount right before they go off
>>
yes very much so. but i hate trying to get the bastard things open ever since i lost my oyster knife.
>>
File: 1424208076275.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1424208076275.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
>>7555841
god damn love them!
Naked cowboys from Blue Island Oyster company. Favorite so far
>>
>>7560887
Depends mainly on how much the restaurant cares. Good ones seem to take more care to keep things clean than cheap places (though the price of the oysters is usually close).

>>7560964
Not having to ship the shells anywhere or stress about freshness is a huge difference.
>>
>>7561003
oh and these. SO freakin' tasty, plus you get like 12 oysters for £2
>>
>>7560887
I have had oysters from BC to New Brunswick all the way down to Georgia and across through Louisiana to Ensenada and up to Seattle - the full circle. No grit, so I don't know why the bad luck except Canuck. The gulf oysters are history, west coast oysters are too sweet. Best for me is eastern especially New Brunswick and PEI.
>>
>>7561304
>gulf oysters are history
Why?
>>
>>7561385

Probably referring to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
>>
>>7561304
This guy knows what's up.

Pickle point and Malpeque Bay oysters are the tops.
>>
>>7555841
I think they're pretty good, but I eat raw ones on a cracker like a pleb because I can't stand the slimy texture on it's own
>>
Oysters are one of those things where if you fuck it up big time, they are inedible. When they are cleaned and cooked properly, then yes. Oyster Po-Boy or fried Oysters is great. Not a fan of raw though.

I've had some really bad fried oysters though, which turned me off from them for awhile. And this was down in Louisiana.
>>
>>7557371
Pretty good but overrated. I hate to call it a "meme dish" but it kinda is, one of those things you hear about in media and associate with being high class. Oysters florentine are a lot better I think.
>>
Raw oysters are the best, have em every thanksgiving. Cooked are alright but not as good as friend clams.
>>
>>7555841
yes.
>>
Down the street from my house there's a 25 cent oyster happy hour so I make a point to eat them all the time.
>>
What does /ck/ put on their's?

Usually throw a dash of horseradish (better be spicy) some cocktail sauce and 1 drop or Tabasco on mine
>>
File: friendly clam.jpg (96 KB, 1074x1300) Image search: [Google]
friendly clam.jpg
96 KB, 1074x1300
>>7561745
friend clams c:
>>
>>7561773
I like them with just a squeeze of lemon. I want to be able to taste that briny flavor.
Unless they're Gulf oysters, then I'll put some hot sauce on them as well.
>>
Love oysters, love clams, never had a cockle. I highly recommend trying fried conch if you ever find yourself in the Bahamas.

I still really want to try Geoduck. I'm sure I will get my chance someday...
>>
>>7555841
Oysters looks like snotty vaginal discharge

I dont want to try them
>>
>>7555841
Im all about raw shellfish. There is nothing most satisfying than being on the beach and finding a treat.

Permits suck though, its hard to forage without them. Anyone ever try a raw muscle or little neck? or is that strictly a no-go?
>>
>>7560807
Belon oysters in Brittany, France are p good
>>
File: poboy.jpg (248 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
poboy.jpg
248 KB, 2048x1536
>>7555841
Fried oyster best oyster.
>>
>>7562736
I've had Geoduck sashimi. It's got a briny flavor, and it's meaty, but it's a bit chewy for my tastes. Not bad though. You can buy them fresh at my local asian seafood market.
Agree on the conch. Conch fritters are godly.
>>
>>7558766
Wait, is it supposed to be weird to chew oysters? Do people just usually slurp them whole or what?
>>
>>7555935

Harder to farm than most stuff too.
>>
>>7555841
fucking love em
>fresh oysters from Charente Maritime
God tier

>>7563951
I bet it's good, but fried stuff isn't really my kind of shit, especially for oysters it seems weird.
>>
>>7564512
only babbies dont chew
>>
>>7561385
>>7561407
oil spill and drought and population related problems like no river water flowing in, also the gulf is already warmer than other regions and as it warms further more Vibrio cholerae which makes for an unpleasant 3 days.
>>
>>7556830
No they can. I see jars of them for sale and they're normally cheaper that way though not as good.

If you gonna fry em or make a sauce then they're okay.
>>
>>7560807
New Jersey
>>
>>7560807
Long Island Sound (Blue Point) and Chincoteague are my favorite.
>>
>>7555841
Man, I want to like raw oysters so bad. They look so fresh and inviting on those beds of ice with lemons and hot sauce. And I love the smell of salt water, the spray of the sea, and nearly anything that comes out of it aside from like whale cum and trash and oil from leaks.

But that texture, bleehh..
>>
>>7566197
I live on the gulf coast and we didn't have oysters for a while but now they are available again
>>
>>7560807
Louisiana.
>>
I am glad to find this thread. I'm applying at a bar forward place because the culinary guy seems so passionate about the kitchen that I kind of want to work for him. I'm new to dat kitchen life and trying to learn and grow as much as possible but I'm really rough around the edges, having grown up a fucking fat lazy bastard /b/ and /r9k/-tier loser.

I'm going to be shucking oysters and I've never done it. Advice about anything would be great. Tits because pls respond
>>
File: camel.jpg (5 KB, 332x152) Image search: [Google]
camel.jpg
5 KB, 332x152
>>7567611
>/b/ and /r9k/ tier loser

obviously you don't leave those boards much. Posting tits on a blue board will get you a 7 day ban from all boards. I suggest you delete it and ask again.
>>
>>7567551
This is good news. I used to get a dozen for $6.50 at Hunts in Dothen, they were huge and briny.
>>
File: lowcountry-roast.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
lowcountry-roast.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
Coastal SC here. Nothing better than going out on a kayak dead of winter to get your own free oysters.

Grab a bunch of light beer, some saltine crackers, hot sauce and butter. Steam or roast the oysters till they crack and enjoy. Best time ever.
>>
>>7567611
Buy a good oyster shucker. Thats about it. You cant tell someone how to do it. Once you know what to look for you can do it with a butter knife.

Where you live?
>>
>>7560807
Specifically Apalachicola oysters and Murrells Inlet (winter months only).
>>
it so good but how can people like smoked oysters that's nasty
>>
File: loch ryan native.jpg (224 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
loch ryan native.jpg
224 KB, 800x600
>>7560807

The UK has some incredible oyster beds: Pyefleet, West Mersea, Colchester, Maldon, Carlingford Lough.

Loch Ryan oysters are the best, though.
>>
>>7555841
i'm portuguese, it's illegal for me not to like seafood
>>
>>7564871
Not really. They're susceptible to pollution but otherwise pretty hardy. You can sow baby oysters like seeds.
>>
>>7555841
I got 12 for $8 the other day.
I ate half natural and half kilpatrick.
Was pretty good, it's not often I get a dozen all to my self.
>>
File: IMG_0704-e1443475821292.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0704-e1443475821292.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Seafood Hut in Oban has the best ones I've ever eaten. 90 pence per oyster and they were massive and incredibly tasty.

They do all sorts of stuff, I fucking love that place.

If you can put up with the obnoxious presenter girl you will enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJQph5gLeE
>>
They're mainly a meme. No one really just eats oysters straight. They need lemon, hot sauce, crackers, pepper, etc etc for most folks to eat them.
>>
>>7560807
Tasmanian oysters.
Specifically, Bruny Island.
>>
>>7568728
>No one really just eats oysters straight.
If they're very good oysters you don't even need lemon. If they're good you can just add a splash of lemon and if they're pleb tier then hot sauce and the rest of it.
>>
>>7568736
Tassie seafood is some of the best in the world.
The Crayfish is particularly smashing...
>>
File: 1435537808449.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1435537808449.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>7555841
fuckin' love that shit dog.
>>
>>7568728
Yes, because anything that is complemented by seasoning is obviously a "meme." What a stunning observation.
>>
>>7555841
Literally tastes like salt water with the texture of snot.
>>
>>7568728
You're the meme, anon.
>>
File: P1150169.jpg (352 KB, 1350x1012) Image search: [Google]
P1150169.jpg
352 KB, 1350x1012
>>7568728
Everyone in my family eats them raw straight off the shell with nothing.
>>
Mussels > oysters
>>
>>7560812
you did well my friend. I live in Rio de Janeiro and for years I ate oysters that I tought were fine. That until I went to New Orleans (close to Louisiana, right?) and tried oysters from there. Damn. Greatest thing ever. and so fucking cheap compared to the prices here (Rio does not produce oysters, so we ship them by plane from the south of our country, wich makes them crazy expensive). I miss them everyday.
>>
>>7569478
THIS. goddam I love them so much. Oysters are fine, but mussels are special.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.